daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia

Old January 13th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #41
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 153

Vancouver housing prices are ridiculous.........that's the one thing I think we can all agree on.
I think the Chinese are the reason why they have gone so high as for money money is no object and by buying higher end places it still has an effect of raising the entire pricing levels. I do, however, think it's more than just that. I find that most of the Chinese who have immigrated to Vancouver in the last 20 years have a different view on the market. I find that Chinese, more than anyone, see housing as real estate........in other words more of an investment as opposed to a place to live for a long time.
I find most view the market as a way to make money almost like the stock market. Most caucasians. I find, tend to still see a house to put down roots as opposed to a monetary opportunity.
What I am afraid of is Vancouver being a Phoneix. No I don't mean in terms of planning put rather a relatively low income service based economy who back bone is a strong construction sector. As long as the people keep coming, the construction continues, and interest rates remain low the economy does well.
Construction is always a strong section of an economy but never should be the most important one. Yes, people will keep coming due to immigration but what's going to happen when interest rates really go up? It will hammer the BC and particularily Vancouver, economy very hard. Far worse than any other city in the country.
The problem for Vancouverites is that so many are completly over extended by the mortgages they shouldn't have gotten in thje first place that their mortgage payments may go up by as much as a $1000/month at renewal time. One thing is for certain......interest rates can only go up.
I find San Fran more like Victoria...............the prices didn't fall as dramatically in SF due to it's strong fundamental base namely IT. Victoria has high prices but still within striking range of Toronto or Calgary but it has a strong backbone namely government.
I view Vancouver as more in line with Florida or Phoneix.......... a service based economy who's strongest sector is construction built on immigration and cheap money. Yes Vancouver is a port city which also helps for airport traffic but just doesn't have the basic economic strength that will help it weather the storm.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 13th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #42
Huhu

Likes (Received): 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Vancouver housing prices are ridiculous.........that's the one thing I think we can all agree on.
I think the Chinese are the reason why they have gone so high as for money money is no object and by buying higher end places it still has an effect of raising the entire pricing levels. I do, however, think it's more than just that. I find that most of the Chinese who have immigrated to Vancouver in the last 20 years have a different view on the market. I find that Chinese, more than anyone, see housing as real estate........in other words more of an investment as opposed to a place to live for a long time.
If money were no object then they obviously wouldn't be using land as a serious investment since they would be wasting their money. I believe that for Chinese, land is treated as security. Remember that up until a few decades ago, Chinese did not have a stable currency or reliable access to a hard asset like land for a century or more. Land is still in short supply in Asia, and the hard-wired Chinese need for a piece of land to hedge inflation is not going to go away.

Vancouver as a popular jumping off point for Asian immigrants and money is not going to change anytime soon. We will just have to diversify the economy in spite of the construction industry pulling away investment and human capital.
Huhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #43
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 5145

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
and wages aren't too bad i don't know how so many people make their money but a lot do make over $10,000 a month
Really? What % of workers in metro Vancouver make over $10,000 a month?
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #44
Trey
Mr. Anderson

Likes (Received): 0

id like to know what kinda jobs pay that coin in vancouver!
Trey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #45
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 14698

unless you are a cougar hunter or drug dealer , there are not too many people can make $10,000 a month in the lower mainland. That figure is more likely for the total household income.

Knocked me down and I got back up
And I got myself back in the race again
Yellow Fever está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #46
realtor9991

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
there was a studio in my friends building not too long ago and it was $168,000
wow cheap..when was that? was it a free hold or a leasehold?

because right now you cant find one below 200K there.

as to..Vancouver housing prices are ridiculous...yes we are rich, only if we believe the BC property assessment office (that is if you own your place). but our pockets are not that deep.
realtor9991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #47
boschb
boschb

Likes (Received): 17

very true but hope fully the immigrants will be able to afford it
boschb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #48
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Metro Vancouver has firmly established itself as the most expensive housing market in Canada. But how does its average home price compare with those of top markets south of the border? We take the latest BCREA data and compare it with Coldwell Banker's fall 2010 list.

Newport Beach, CA $1,826,348

Palo Alto, CA $1,479.227

Rye, NY $1,325,500

San Francisco $1,325,103

Vancouver (city) $1,324,000 CDN

5. La Jolla, CA $1,210,300

Greenwich, CT $1,195,614

Wellesley, MA $1,080,458

Santa Barbara, CA $1,024,661

Old January 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #49
Huhu

Likes (Received): 152

Wow that mansion in Santa Barbara is so affordable! (compared to Vancouver) I guess they're real estate is still in the crapper.
Huhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:40 AM   #50
dleung
BANNED

Likes (Received): 88

Those aren't prices for the houses, haha. Not sure why all the numbers are so high, but I'm assuming they're averages ($1.3m for Vancouver proper??), coupled with a sample pic of what the locale has to offer. I'm pretty sure most of these houses cost more than $5 mil.
dleung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:03 AM   #51
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

B.C.'s most expensive island vacation homes

Even with a slowdown of the rural real estate market in B.C., some island resort properties remain well above the $2 million mark.

$5,979,500, MLS® 286960 3 Beds, 3 Baths. 151 Parminter Rd, Salt Spring Island

$4,650,000, MLS® 287216 5 Beds, 7 Baths, 1110 Sunset Dr, Salt Spring Island

$3,950,000 MLS® 286387 4 Beds, 3 Baths 770 Beechwood Dr, Mayne Island

$3,295,000 MLS® V851737 4 Beds, 5 Baths 379 DAVID RD, Bowen Island

$2,850,000 MLS® 298917 2 Beds, 2 Baths CORTES ISLAND

$2,750,000 MLS® V817666 3 Beds, 3 Baths 221 CHU-AN DR, Salt Spring Island

$2,750,000 MLS® V859065 4 Beds, 3 Baths 229 REGINALD HILL RD, Salt Spring Island

2,700,000 MLS® V824217 3 Beds, 3 Baths 1243 FAIRWEATHER RD, Bowen Island

$2,480,000 MLS® 286810 3 Beds, 2 Baths 221 Bay Ridge Pl, Salt Spring Island

$2,300,000 MLS® 285179 3 Beds, 3 Baths 540 Fernhill Rd, Mayne Island

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/4144601/story.html

Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:59 PM   #52
Bytson

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
The average price of a home in Vancouver is now over $1 million. So if you sold a 2,739-square-feet home in Metro Vancouver, how many homes could you buy in Newfoundland?

This Metro Vancouver home in the Lynn Valley is listed for $1,095,000
. (3267 FROMME RD North Vancouver, British Columbia. 2,739 sq. ft., 6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms.) That price can get you 34 - count'em, 34 - homes in Newfoundland currently on the market, with a little extra to spare...

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/4097300/story.html
Aren't this type of houses built from prefabricated parts with materials such as plywood? I know that prices are under the influnce of the local market but come on, if someone would plead for the value of materials and relating to the average value of a plot of land on a specific area, I think it will be suprised to see this common house doesn't worth more than 650k based on pure construction calculus.
Bytson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #53
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 153

Mot only are Vancouver average prices high but the median prices are too.
Yes housing in Toronto may be half the price of Vancouver but condos start at a quarter of the price. You can still get condos under 75k and most are well under 200k. The difference is that you can still get into the market in Toronto but if your family income in Vancouver is less than 50k forget it.
These new mortgage rules are an excellent idea........fewer people qualifying which results in lower demand and hence falling prices.
Housing prices rise when mortgage amortization periods are extended. As far as I'm concerned the MOST CMHC should amortorize is 25 years. 30 years ago you could afford your home to be paid back in 20 years. When i was young a 20 year mortgage was considered a long one.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #54
ACT7

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Mot only are Vancouver average prices high but the median prices are too.
Yes housing in Toronto may be half the price of Vancouver but condos start at a quarter of the price. You can still get condos under 75k and most are well under 200k. The difference is that you can still get into the market in Toronto but if your family income in Vancouver is less than 50k forget it.
These new mortgage rules are an excellent idea........fewer people qualifying which results in lower demand and hence falling prices.
Housing prices rise when mortgage amortization periods are extended. As far as I'm concerned the MOST CMHC should amortorize is 25 years. 30 years ago you could afford your home to be paid back in 20 years. When i was young a 20 year mortgage was considered a long one.
Check your stats buddy. Where the hell can you get a condo in Toronto for $75K??? Parking spaces in condos are $30-$35K. Average condo prices in the GTA are around $350K (city of Toronto is higher), so MOST are definitely not under $200K. Maybe you got Toronto and Winnipeg confused.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #55
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

White Rocks home prices vs. nearby U.S. border town, Blaine

Comparison 1: White Rock/Blaine. White Rock: $1,999,888 MLS® F1101659 5 Beds, 7 Baths 1087 FINLAY ST, White Rock
Photograph by: Courtesy, MLS.CA

Blaine - 5376 Night Heron Dr Offered at $1,950,000 Residential Bed/Bath: 4/4 Sq Feet: 4640
Photograph by: Courtesy, Blaine Real Estate

hite Rock: $1,499,000MLS® F10283985 Beds, 4 Baths15652 SEMIAHMOO AV, White Rock

Blaine - 4620 Dearborn Ave Offered at $1,495,000 Residential Bed/Bath: 4/4 Sq Feet: 4500

White Rock: $1,398,000 MLS® F1101229 3 Beds, 4 Baths 15575 PACIFIC AV, White Rock

Blaine - 3905 H St Offered at $1,400,000 Residential Bed/Bath: 4/6 Sq Feet: 5002

White Rock: $1,150,000 MLS® F1020129 3 Beds, 3 Baths 14783 GORDON AV, White Rock

Blaine - 8888 Semiahmoo Ridge Offered at $1,149,000 Residential Bed/Bath: 3/6

Old January 27th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #56
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

What Halifax's average home price - $240,000 - can buy in Vancouver

Both are Canadian cities by the ocean. Both have beautiful waterfronts and dense downtowns. But what gets a buyer a full detached home in one city will only net a condo - a small one, at that - in the other.

The average home price in Halifax, NS is $240,000 (Livingin-canada.com) in September 2010. That price can get you this home: $241,350 32 DANFORTH LOT 103A HALIFAX, Nova Scotia....
Photograph by: Courtesy, MLS.ca

The following is a selection of what $240,000 will buy in Vancouver and nearby areas: none surpasses 700 square feet in size. We've also included the cheapest house on the market within Vancouver city limits - which is on the market for roughly twice the price of this Halifax home.

Closest priced house: $449,000 1017 KEEFER ST Vancouver, British Columbia. Built in 1905.

$242,000 # 302 1330 BURRARD ST Vancouver, British Columbia. 461 sq.ft., studio, 1 bathroom.

$239,999 # 515 3588 CROWLEY DR Vancouver, British Columbia, 425 sq.ft. studio, 1 bathroom.

$239,900 # PH8 868 KINGSWAY Vancouver, British Columbia

$239,000 # 7 6320 EAST BV Vancouver, British Columbia

$238,900 # 109 123 E 19TH ST North Vancouver, British Columbia

$238,800 # 208 2891 E HASTINGS ST Vancouver, British Columbia

$229,900 # 103 211 W 3RD ST North Vancouver, British Columbia. At 692 sq.ft., largest condo available in area for price range.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/4126476/story.html

Old January 28th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #57
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 96

http://www.soprovich.com/

awesome vancouver house on the above!
Old January 30th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #58
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

You won't believe how much this tear down costs.

Location, location, location is the selling point of this one-bedroom shack in Point Grey, a block from Locarno Beach

As an example of a Vancouver real estate market that can induce gasps, consider 4541 Belmont.

It is a detached house on a 60-by-95-foot lot.

The house is 720 square feet in size. It is for sale.

It has one bedroom, size small, one bathroom, size smaller, a living room an optimist might describe as "cosy" and a kitchen decorated in the latest turn-of-the-century style, and by that I mean the 19th century.

The walls are painted in a colour best described as Custard Gone Bad, and permeating the interior is a funky smell of -- what exactly? -- mildew fighting it out with Clorox? Its basement, reached by stairs steep enough that one properly should rappel down them, has a bunker's charm. The house has gutters but, oddly, no drainpipes. Its age? Unknown. They're still waiting for the carbon-dating results.

Price?

The owner is asking $2,199,000.

It is, of course, a teardown. Belmont is one block south of N.W. Marine Drive in Point Grey, and building lots bring top dollar.

The house next door, a modest two-bedroom bungalow still standing, though probably not for many more years, sold a while ago for $2,165,000. A block away on Belmont, somebody is building a 45,000-square-foot palace for an estimated $31.5 million. Point Grey is a world with which most of us are not familiar.

"I refer to Point Grey," said Phil Gustin, the realtor handling the property, "as the land of the rich and the land of the lucky. If you're rich, you can afford to buy here. If you're born here. you're lucky. I've been doing this for about 30 years, and I remember as a kid saying to my parents, 'How can I ever afford to live in this neighbourhood?' Even so, it's still mind-numbing to me."

The owner of the property is Jim Shepherd. Shepherd, 45, used to live in the place in the 1990s, but no longer does. He inherited the place.

"It was my great-aunt's -- her name was Joan Park," Shepherd said. "She lived across the street from it as a child during the Great Depression. She and her husband were hard-working people -- they saved every penny they made -- and they bought the house, and the house behind it as well, as rental property. Then they rented them out to students and nurses and such.

"I was her favourite nephew -- she had no children of her own -- and she really wanted me to live there. She gave me the home around, I think, 1992."

Was he aware that she was bestowing upon him a fortune?

"I was not unaware of that at the time," Shepherd said, with admirable understatement. "But I really loved her, and it was some of the best times of my life, living there and just going over to visit her."

He was in his 20s at the time, and a bachelor, and need we say more? A young guy with place a block away from Locarno Beach? In a house that didn't need coddling?

"I had some of the biggest parties in that little house," Shepherd said. "People would fill up the inside and then spill out on to the front porch."

The house also served as a great pickup line for dates.

"I'd be at a party at one of my friend's and I'd say, 'I have a little shack on Belmont, and they'd think, 'Oh, yeah?' And then when they got there, they'd say, 'Oh, it really is a little shack, isn't it?' with a look of disappointment.

"It's still a standing joke with my friends."

Shepherd, who produces trade shows for a living, moved out seven or eight years ago, he said. His mother, who lived nearby, grew ill and her caregiver moved into the house. When the caregiver left recently to move in with her daughter, Shepherd decided to sell.

"It was time," he said.

Shepherd now lives in a 2,500-square-foot home. His new place is in Kitsilano, which is nice, but it's no Point Grey.

pmcmartin@vancouversun.com

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Little+h...#ixzz1CT8XMbIx

Old February 1st, 2011, 08:46 AM   #59
realtor9991

Likes (Received): 2

now..im contemplating of moving to halifax!
realtor9991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:51 AM   #60
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Region's housing market balanced in January, despite signs of sellers' market returning

By Brian Morton, Vancouver Sun February 2, 2011

VANCOUVER -- Metro Vancouver's housing market remained in balanced market conditions in January, although there were signs of a sellers' market returning with higher levels of demand in larger communities.

“There was a healthy balance between the number of home buyers and sellers in our market in January, but there’s always variation in activity from region to region,” Jake Moldowan, president of the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), said in a statement Wednesday. "We’re seeing strong sellers’ market conditions in areas like Richmond and the west side of Vancouver.”

According to the REBGV's latest monthly report, the number of properties listed for sale and those sold on the Multiple Listing Service last month outpaced the 10-year average in January.

Over the last 12 months, the benchmark price of detached homes increased 22.6 per cent in Richmond and 12.2 per cent in Vancouver West, according to a release. In comparison, detached home prices across the region increased 2.7 per cent over the same period.

Elsewhere in the region, the REBGV reports that residential property sales in Greater Vancouver reached 1,819 in January, a 4.2-per-cent decline compared to the 1,899 sales recorded in December 2010, and a decrease of 5.4 per cent compared to the 1,923 sales in January 2010. The numbers also represented a 139-per-cent increase from the 762 home sales in January 2009.

January’s 1,819 homes sales slightly surpassed the 1,790 home sale average recorded in the region over the last ten years.

New listings for detached, attached and apartment properties in Metro Vancouver totalled 4,801 in January, a 6.7-per-cent decrease compared to January 2010 when 5,147 properties were listed.

At 10,438, the total number of property listings increased 5.8 per cent in January compared to last month and increased 2.2 per cent from this time last year.

Sales of detached properties in January reached 793, an increase of 12.5 per cent from the 705 detached sales recorded in January 2010. The benchmark price for detached properties increased 2.7 per cent from January 2010 to $810,045.

Meanwhile, the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board on Wednesday reported an increase in listing activity and steady sales for the first month of 2011.

Board president Deanna Horn said: “In addition to an influx of new inventory in January, our realtors had more inquiries and increased traffic at open houses boding well for a solid spring market in the Fraser Valley.”

There were 834 sales in January, a decrease of 15 per cent compared to the 981 sales processed in January 2010 and a seven-per-cent decrease compared to the 895 sales in December.

Although the board received 11 per cent fewer new listings in January than it did during the same month last

year, it saw the typical post-holiday surge in new properties coming on stream.

Horn said there was a decrease in the average number of days to sell single family homes and townhouses in January.

“In terms of prices, overall they’re holding steady, however we are seeing variability depending on the

community and property type,” she added.

The benchmark price for Fraser Valley detached homes in January was $505,618, down 0.1 per cent compared to December and 0.9 per cent higher compared to $500,931 in January 2010.

bmorton@vancouversun.com

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz1CsNq5Wth

Tags
statistics, vancouver