daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > Transit & Infrastructure

Old January 9th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #1
alphachapmtl

Likes (Received): 0

2015? Spadina extension, Scarborough RT

On wikipedia, they say those could open by 2015:
--Yonge-University-Spadina line extension to Vaughan
--Scarborough RT revitalization and expansion
Considering we are in 2011 and nothing is done yet, I don't think that's gone to happen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto...ion_to_Vaughan

Any comment? Inside info?
alphachapmtl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 9th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #2
JustinB

Likes (Received): 17

The Spadina Extension is under construction, and should be ready in 2015. It may not be ready for the Pan-Am games.

The Scarborough RT entry needs to be revised. Under Metrolinx's 5 in 10 plan, the Scarborough RT was going to be shut down in 2016, and reopened in 2020 as an LRT upgrade that would connect with the Sheppard East LRT in Malvern. Rob Ford wants to build a 2 station subway instead. He claims it will be built by 2015. Realistically a subway extension will not be built until 2020, and even that is doubtful, since he also wants a Sheppard extension, which will most likely eat up all available funds.
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #3
OEincorparated

Likes (Received): 37

@Justin, make's sense now doesn't it. SRT needs to shut down down for quit a few years to get upgraded. That is alot of riders from the east end that use SRT to tranfer to B/D Line. Those people are going to get transfered onto Sheppard Line to get over to Yonge by 2015-16. You say it is over capacity to the point of waiting for Yonge Line, and there is no way of increasing enough trains on that lines. So that is why a couple of extra stops are going to get added to take some people headed to the west end over to Downview station. Then those people can head north or south from there depending on there destination.

Doesn't get any clearer then that now does it?
OEincorparated no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #4
JustinB

Your grammar is terrible! I do not get what you're trying to say, and where you're going with that post.

Who is talking about the Sheppard proposal to Downsview? I am refering to Ford's proposal to replace the SRT with a 2 station extension of the B-D to STC.
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #5
OEincorparated

You just trying to drive everyone crazy now. What two stations are you talking about? Not once have I heard of such a proposal.
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #6
AndrewJM3D

Likes (Received): 477

What type of vehicle are they thinking of using for the Scarborough LRT? I really like the one they use on the Canada line. I am curious how smooth it is though as our similar version at Pearson feels more like a rollercoaster. I do love how the tracks are all blocked by glass walls that have automatic doors that open with the train doors. I'd love them to do that with our subway platforms.
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #7
OEincorparated

Sheppard Line will have the glass doors hopefully. Maybe that is why they really closed the line for, to upgrade the glass doors.hmmm
Old January 11th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #8
JustinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJM3D View Post
What type of vehicle are they thinking of using for the Scarborough LRT? I really like the one they use on the Canada line. I am curious how smooth it is though as our similar version at Pearson feels more like a rollercoaster. I do love how the tracks are all blocked by glass walls that have automatic doors that open with the train doors. I'd love them to do that with our subway platforms.
The vehicles will be the Bombardier Flexity II vehicles ordered for the Transit City lines. The high level platforms will be replaced with low-floor platforms for level boarding with the LRT. The TTC had plans to purchase used Translink Skytrain vehicles to run on the line until the line will be closed for the upgrade.

There was a plan to install PED's on the subway lines. It's unlikely you'll them anytime soon, due to the high cost.

OEincorparated: You really do not know about the B-D extension to Scarborough? Yikes..... Anyways, you can look it up. It's in the RTES, and has been all over the news.
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #9
OEincorparated

@JustinB, Maybe just explain it for me a little, I'll try to catch on.
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #10
AndrewJM3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
The vehicles will be the Bombardier Flexity II vehicles ordered for the Transit City lines. The high level platforms will be replaced with low-floor platforms for level boarding with the LRT. The TTC had plans to purchase used Translink Skytrain vehicles to run on the line until the line will be closed for the upgrade.

There was a plan to install PED's on the subway lines. It's unlikely you'll them anytime soon, due to the high cost.

OEincorparated: You really do not know about the B-D extension to Scarborough? Yikes..... Anyways, you can look it up. It's in the RTES, and has been all over the news.

Thanks, so the new cars are just the new streetcars on order, or is their another design?

You know what I just noticed, how will you pay on one of these new streetcars? Look at the layout.
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #11
OEincorparated

Doesn't look like the drawing, you notice. It has way less doors and the door is set way back from the driver. What are they thinking?
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #12
JustinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJM3D View Post
Thanks, so the new cars are just the new streetcars on order, or is their another design?

You know what I just noticed, how will you pay on one of these new streetcars? Look at the layout.
The new streetcars will be from the Flexity Outlook family of vehicles:

http://bombardier.com/en/transportat...01260d8000be27

The Transit City vehicles will be of the new Flexity 2 models, which is a new model of the line.

http://bombardier.com/en/transportat...01260d800a0a9b

The T TC is looking to install ticket machines aboard the new streetcars, and ticket machines at major stops on the streetcar network. Boarding will be all door boarding with POP inspectors will come by to check fares. With a new commission, things might change, but this was the plan.

This is what the TC vehicles will look like:

OEincorparated: RTES - Rapid Transit Expansion Study. Seriously, the extension had been in the cards for years.

Last edited by JustinB; January 11th, 2011 at 03:59 PM.
JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #13
OEincorparated

@JustinB, please explain your two stop Scarborough RTES proposal. There is nothing when I google it up, you trying to pull my leg?
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:23 AM   #14
Transportfan

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
The Spadina Extension is under construction, and should be ready in 2015. It may not be ready for the Pan-Am games.
There may be a delay already. The TBM's were supposed to be delivered
to the excavation sites by this month, but they won't any more as the month is almost over.
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #15
OEincorparated

Maybe they are changing it to mix surface and underground LRT. I don't mind the look of the Bombardier Flexity 2 anymore, it looks quite nice actually. Only concern is even though we get 3times the amount of tracks with LRT over subways there are more maintainance cost because of our wheather issues. How feasible is this going to be in the long term?
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #16
JustinB

There will not be a change in technology. The subway will be built as planned, and designed.
Old January 28th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #17
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEincorparated View Post
@JustinB, please explain your two stop Scarborough RTES proposal. There is nothing when I google it up, you trying to pull my leg?
Try "Scarborough Subway" and see what you get.

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. klangvalley.transit@gmail.com
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #18
gan4volta

Likes (Received): 56

29/01/2011 Murray Ross Pkwy at Keele str
It is probably future York university station

Last edited by gan4volta; January 30th, 2011 at 05:04 PM.
gan4volta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #19
gan4volta

Likes (Received): 56

by the way nice to meet everyone))
gan4volta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #20
AndrewJM3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan4volta View Post
by the way nice to meet everyone))