daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Urban Planning

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:46 PM   #101
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 506

How many Catholic Churches are there in Batanes? How about churches of other religions, are there any?

Sponsored Links

Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:48 PM   #102
efp

Likes (Received): 0

Shucks, now I'm getting embarassed..
One more church for you fans then. This one is on southwest Batan coast by the departure point for the Sabtang ferry. The one I sent earlier was in Sabtang town but I think its not the same one you point out dxpsycho. I could be wrong but I think that is the big one on the main square in Basco. I say that because I recall it was attached to the ruins of a very much earlier church destroyed by earthquake which I think you can see at the left and a small museum at right. But I could be wrong. Date at top in this image is 1785 and above the door 1866 and 1869 by the way.

efp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:43 PM   #103
Waldenstrom
>>---->

Likes (Received): 36

Nice parang sa South America.
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #104
Lili
The Original is The Best

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by efp View Post
Shucks, now I'm getting embarassed..
One more church for you fans then. This one is on southwest Batan coast by the departure point for the Sabtang ferry. The one I sent earlier was in Sabtang town but I think its not the same one you point out dxpsycho. I could be wrong but I think that is the big one on the main square in Basco. I say that because I recall it was attached to the ruins of a very much earlier church destroyed by earthquake which I think you can see at the left and a small museum at right. But I could be wrong. Date at top in this image is 1785 and above the door 1866 and 1869 by the way.

The picture did not show through. Why be embarassed? This thread is for photo-sharing. We enjoy seeing those pictures. Thanks!

Xocóatl is my elixir.

Last edited by Lili; May 6th, 2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Photo is now showing.
Lili no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #105
efp

Well, embarassed on behalf of my wife, who is the last person to want to be commented on, and b.) that I appear to have hijacked the thread with 5 year old pictures and a very shallow knowlege of this amazing place.
Jhaelnis sorry, I have no idea on the churches. 3 big catholic churches we have here documented but I'm sure there are more. I am not aware of any other denominations but I would be surprised if there were anything else, at least formally. But I cannot pretend to be an expert, just an enthusiatic tourist.
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #106
Lili
The Original is The Best

^ So, to mitigate your wife's embarassment, perhaps show a picture with you there.

Anyway, the pictures were well worth it. All those stucco churches are stately. They look like those Mission churches in California and Mexico.

Xocóatl is my elixir.
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #107
athan

Oh yea. They do resemble the mission churches in southwest US and Mexico. (and the Sanctuario de San Antonio in Forbes Park). Nice! Thank you for sharing with us these pictures.

So, does anyone know why these churches in Batanes were patterned after them? What's the history behind these churches? And why are they different from the other churches in the Philippines that are mainly earthquake baroque type?
athan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #108
Lili
The Original is The Best

That is an interesting architectural history study. Maybe these churches are of later vintage.

Xocóatl is my elixir.
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #109
Lucentino
®

Likes (Received): 37

nice pic of the town @efp, you might have been more interested with the cultural and scenic spots of Batanes... I hope to take the pics of the infrastructure myself when I visit the place some day (wishful thinking )...

The Re-birth of the Philippine National Railways tR
Lucentino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #110
-=+cZaRiNa+=-
---

I'm losing hopes. I think I must pursue my Batanes trip but my parents don't allow it.
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #111
TheAvenger
Guardian Angel

Likes (Received): 296

I have been in Batanes many times for many years but never set foot. Never make a landfall there.

I always see Batanes shrouded by mist... and most of the time the seas around Batanes is rough.

Btw sharing this photos of Batanes I have taken from other sites.

Batan house

TheAvenger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #112
TheAvenger
Guardian Angel

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
I am a very lucky man. Thank you.
you are really a lucky man. she looks so nice and beautiful.

take good care of her and you will be blessed.

thanks for the photos of the islands of my dreams.
TheAvenger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #113
efp

@TheAvenger, thank you for your kind comments and your pictures, some nice views which give a good flavour of the place and bring back fond memories. Im sad but can understand why as you never got to land there as a mariner though from my slight experience of the sea conditions, and that was in the good weather season.. but it's never too late.
@czarina, please hold on to your dreams. Forgive me but you sound young, and have a lot of life ahead of you. But maybe you can persuade your parents that Batanes has probably the lowest crime rate in the country if not the world and there is nowhere safer, on land at least.
@lucentino, not so much an issue in the friendly Philippines but as a foreigner its always a bit tricky to take pictures of infrastructure and strategic sites in many countries on national security grounds so I tend not to. Its only a year or so since some aircraft enthusiast countrymen of mine spent several months in jail in Greece for photographing military planes taking off, and in some places even photographing a bridge or port can be an offence.
Old May 6th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #114
-=+cZaRiNa+=-
---

Quote:
@TheAvenger, thank you for your kind comments and your pictures, some nice views which give a good flavour of the place and bring back fond memories. Im sad but can understand why as you never got to land there as a mariner though from my slight experience of the sea conditions, and that was in the good weather season.. but it's never too late.
@czarina, please hold on to your dreams. Forgive me but you sound young, and have a lot of life ahead of you. But maybe you can persuade your parents that Batanes has probably the lowest crime rate in the country if not the world and there is nowhere safer, on land at least.
@lucentino, not so much an issue in the friendly Philippines but as a foreigner its always a bit tricky to take pictures of infrastructure and strategic sites in many countries on national security grounds so I tend not to. Its only a year or so since some aircraft enthusiast countrymen of mine spent several months in jail in Greece for photographing military planes taking off, and in some places even photographing a bridge or port can be an offence.
Thanks. I am young but I don't want to waste time.
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #115
Lucentino
®

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=+cZaRiNa+=- View Post

I'm losing hopes. I think I must pursue my Batanes trip but my parents don't allow it.
why not marry an ivatan and stay in paradise for good? (joke only!)... my problem is different from yours --- its my wallet that wont allow me to visit Batanes!

@efp happens everywhere... restrictions... restrictions... were your friends jailed in Greece took the photos during the Olympics? Oh man I hope when I get to visit UK someday I wont suffer the same fate ... I like those Tornados and Harriers you know...

Old May 7th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #116
-=+cZaRiNa+=-
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucentino View Post
why not marry an ivatan and stay in paradise for good? (joke only!)... my problem is different from yours --- its my wallet that wont allow me to visit Batanes!

@efp happens everywhere... restrictions... restrictions... were your friends jailed in Greece took the photos during the Olympics? Oh man I hope when I get to visit UK someday I wont suffer the same fate ... I like those Tornados and Harriers you know...
Marrying an Ivatan? Sorry but the vow of chastity forbids me (yeah, that's my principle in life). But I still have enough time to plan out for my future in Batanes, even if I'm just single.
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #117
Lucentino
®

thats the spirit... pero teka, i dont get it --- you plan to remain single ba? or ur just too young pa? anyways good luck on your plans basta dont forget the pics ha...

Old May 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #118
ashley12

Hey guys! I've been to Batanes last week. I finally got the chance to visit my province after 9-10 years!

Pictures will be posted soon.

Last edited by ashley12; May 8th, 2007 at 03:09 PM.
ashley12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #119
Dvorak
COO - Child of Owner

looking forward for the pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley12 View Post
Hey guys! I've been to Batanes last week. I finally got the chance to visited my province after 9-10 years!

Pictures will be posted soon.

www.avanzaclub.ph
Dvorak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #120
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 506

Wow Ash, san sa family nyo ang Ivatan?

Tags
isabela