daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast

Southeast » Development News | Includes TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

Old April 28th, 2011, 04:40 AM   #121
Panteran

Likes (Received): 3

Another terrifying vantage point. Can't imagine the horror people under that went through.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...91059#42791059
Panteran no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 28th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #122
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 816

As most of you guys probably know by now yesterday was a horrible day in the Birmingham metro area and across central Alabama. We are still in search and rescue mode, 162 are now confirmed dead, with many still missing. I did see the tornado that came through the bham area, I wouldn't be shocked if this is rated an F5.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #123
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 632

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #124
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 705

Sorry to hear about that Stuck in Bama.....I just came from Raleigh, North Carolina a few days back from my parents...helping them get back on their feet and everything else....I grew up in North Carolina...and I have never seen anything like it in my life...is terrible...I am thankful my family is fine as well as their property and things...but some of my friends were not so lucky...is just terrible to have all these tornados and unfortunately this is just the beggining....Thoughts and prayers are with the people of Alabama and the whole entire south.

miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #125
Stuck in Bama

Well I'm one of the few lucky ones Miami, my family and I were not hurt, nor have any property damage. I do know people who lost everything, and those who are missing. Please keep us in your prayers.
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #126
Stuck in Bama

The death toll in Alabama now stands at 184.
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #127
Panteran

Total count so far is 273+. Truly saddening. It is on track to beat 1974 super outbreak as the deadliest. Sobering thing is that people in Alabama died in their basements (local news report). Just to show no matter how prepared you are, if an ef4 or ef5 tornado is on path to you, not much you can do.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Panteran; April 28th, 2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #128
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 15941

Horrible

My heart goes out to everyone in Alabama and all the other states affected by yesterday's storms. Worse still, there's more on the way as another powerful front brushes by the Rockies and aims directly for the Southeast this weekend.
Old April 29th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #129
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 871

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
Well I'm one of the few lucky ones Miami, my family and I were not hurt, nor have any property damage. I do know people who lost everything, and those who are missing. Please keep us in your prayers.
We are keeping you in our prayers and everybody in Alabama! That includes all the others in the Southeast who have been affected by these storms.
Some of the news footage I have seen reminds me of what I went through during Hurricane Andrew in 1992 in Miami and everything looked like a buzzsaw just wiped everything off the face of the Earth!

Bobdreamz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #130
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 632

Twister deaths now at 318, worst since 1932!!!

Unbelievable!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42813800...ther?GT1=43001

FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 04:23 AM   #131
kalt
The Cold One

Likes (Received): 2

Night of the Twisters anyone?
Old April 30th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #132
simms3

Likes (Received): 11

deaths stand at 343 now with 254 in alabama alone. there are at least 400 still missing in tuscaloosa alone.

April has been a very hard month for most of the south including Arkansas, Mississippi, definitely Alabama, Tennessee, and North Carolina which got hit super hard last week and it's been so bad that we already forgot about that. Even Virginia has gotten slammed.

I'm praying that we get a long break from such weather. Everyone knew about these storms, but they were just too powerful to prepare for. I'm very glad that Atlanta got spared this time (and I thought the early April storms were bad, sheesh).

I have to say that "Tornado Alley" is overrated to me. You get all of these big tornadoes in fields there and occasionally small towns like Parkersburg, IA and Greensburg, KS, but in the South it's always a lot worse and it seems like there are just about the same amount of big tornadoes. Alabama seems to bear the brunt of all of the worst tornadoes/outbreaks. Birmingham has already had 2 F5 tornadoes, now 3? Just 2 weeks ago there were big storms in Tuscaloosa with all of the chasers out almost hoping for a tornado to drop (boy I bet they didn't think the place would actually be leveled 2 weeks later).

Just to give an extent of the type of damage this storm has caused in addition to the human and emotional toll, we have several properties as part of portfolio deals scattered across the South, and a few are damaged or destroyed and others are in towns that are no longer standing (we're talking decent sized grocery-anchored neighborhood centers, power centers, and in-line centers). Our business here in Atlanta has been affected by these storms. These storms have been bad for business for a lot of people.

We aren't hearing about Madison County, AL, but that is Huntsville and where one of our properties is and we were sent pictures and it looks just as bad as Tuscaloosa. We have another large center in a southern state which is one of the premiere lifestyle centers of the SE (can't give details) and it has been damaged by large hail and a tornado went through the area nearby. We have another center in a town in GA that hasn't been mentioned in the news but it too has been devastated by a tornado. Really, we're just hearing about TTown, Birmingham, and Ringgold, GA, but I think some of the strongest tornadoes hit other areas. Watching the Weather Channel was intense with literally every red blob having a "hook echo" and debris ball tornado on the SW corner. Every storm in the front had a tornado. Every storm. You could see these things on radar. One of these tornadoes south of Atlanta had an "eye" and a purple blob where Doppler picked up all of the debris the tornado had lifted. People in Tennessee almost 200 miles from one of the tornadoes in AL have been picking up their yards of debris dropped from the tornado that hit Ringgold, GA and Rainesville, AL.
simms3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #133
Johnny Ryall

Likes (Received): 20

A very touching moment with Memphis' Andrew VanWyngarden of MGMT @ Beale Street Music Fest

http://www.commercialappeal.com/vide...110429bsmfmgmt
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #134
Panteran

I am not saying b'ham or tuscaloosa isn't a great place to live but after being hit by one f5 tornado I would've considered relocating nonetheless 2 or 3, 2 being in the last 15 years. More rain and thunderstorms are coming this week though not likely with that kind of magnitude. Of course, anymore inclement weather would only add misery to the cleanup efforts.

On a good note, the rain should give SOME relief to the drought stricken Texas region. At the very least enough to quell some fires.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:20 PM   #135
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 15941

image hosted on flickr

Tornado Damage-Tuscaloosa, Alabama by DigitalGlobe-Imagery, on Flickr

Tornado Damage-Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Tornado Damage-Tuscaloosa, Alabama-April 29, 2011: This is a satellite image showing the path of a probable FE-4 tornado that went through Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (credit: DigitalGlobe) www.digitaglobe.com

image hosted on flickr

Alberta Elementary School-Tornado Damage, Tuscaloosa, Alabama by DigitalGlobe-Imagery, on Flickr

Alberta Elementary School-Tornado Damage, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Alberta Elementary School-Tornado Damage, Tuscaloosa, Alabama-April 29, 2011: This is a satellite image of Alberta Elementary school (circle drive) in the direct path of a probably FE-4 tornado that passed through Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (credit: DigitalGlobe) www.digitalglobe.com

image hosted on flickr

Charleston Square Apartments, Tornado Damage-Tuscaloosa, Alabama by DigitalGlobe-Imagery, on Flickr

Charleston Square Apartments, Tornado Damage-Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Tornado Damage,Charleston Square Apartments-Tuscaloosa, Alabama-April 29, 2011: This is a satellite image showing damage to several apartment complexes including the Charleston Square Complex, due to a probable FE-4 tornado that went through Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (credit: DigitalGlobe) www.digitaglobe.com
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:37 PM   #136
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 229

This event certainly brought the Weather Channel back to life. I happened to catch it live when the tornado just entered the outskirts of Tuscaloosa, night of April 27. Dr. Greg Forbes and Carl Parker did an amazing job of keeping cool. I could imagine Cantore or Bettes totally flipping out in that studio.

I'm totally stunned by the amount of people missing, and I haven't seen a recent count of the toll for some reason.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM   #137
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 13184

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalglobe-imagery/5670351713/]image hosted on flickr
I swear when I first saw this picture, I thought it was an interstate running through the city!

My photo threads:

QuantumX está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #138
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 13

Both of my parents went to the University of Alabama (that's where they met each other), and my father knows a couple of people living there in Tuscoloosa. The tornado literally went within feet of that couple's house. It barely missed them and tore up the houses right across the street from them.

On a side note, it was 48 degrees this morning when I woke up. Is it really May?
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #139
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 13184

image hosted on flickr

drmon by Quantum2010, on Flickr

My photo threads:

QuantumX está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #140
desertpunk