daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2015, 12:29 PM   #801
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9398

According to the Huff...

The 10 Airlines With the Best Economy Class Seats

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hopper...ushpmg00000063

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #802
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9398

EuCom has launched a consultation on its brand new aviation strategy today!

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/...package_en.htm

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 02:53 PM   #803
hellospank25
Proud warmonger

Likes (Received): 2011

Icelandair Opens the Skies from Edmonton to Europe

Quincy, MA, March 10, 2014 – On Wednesday, March 5th, Icelandair began regular scheduled service between Edmonton and Reykjavik, allowing northwestern Canadians a new way to discover more than 20 destinations in Europe.

Service from Edmonton operates on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays on an Icelandair Boeing 757 seating 183 passengers with three cabins of service. The eastbound flight departs EIA at 6:25 p.m. and arrives in Reykjavik at 6:40 a.m. the next morning. The westbound flight leaves Reykjavik at 4:45 p.m. and arrives at EIA at 5:25 p.m. the same day.

http://www.icelandair.ca/information...ton_to_europe/
hellospank25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 01:56 AM   #804
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Edmonton is also going to add another service beginning in May to Europe as well, given that KLM has announced a nonstop flight to Amsterdam.

http://www.klm.com/travel/ca_en/plan...s/edmonton.htm

Air Canada I am sure has to feel pretty stupid for cancelling their London-Heathrow flight from Edmonton.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 08:43 AM   #805
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11251

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellospank25 View Post
Icelandair Opens the Skies from Edmonton to Europe

Quincy, MA, March 10, 2014 – On Wednesday, March 5th, Icelandair began regular scheduled service between Edmonton and Reykjavik, allowing northwestern Canadians a new way to discover more than 20 destinations in Europe.

Service from Edmonton operates on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays on an Icelandair Boeing 757 seating 183 passengers with three cabins of service. The eastbound flight departs EIA at 6:25 p.m. and arrives in Reykjavik at 6:40 a.m. the next morning. The westbound flight leaves Reykjavik at 4:45 p.m. and arrives at EIA at 5:25 p.m. the same day.

http://www.icelandair.ca/information...ton_to_europe/
So if that's the case, the turnaround time for that flight in YEG is only 60 minutes?! I thought flights that long stay on the ground a bit longer (around 75 to 90 minutes), but, with a flight lasting around 5 to 6 hours one way, and an hour's worth of turnaround... hmmm, looks like the airline really wants to race against time to provide flyers connections in KEF to Europe.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 03:22 PM   #806
hellospank25
Proud warmonger

it looks like flights on this route are sold out so it looks like it's very popular
Old March 22nd, 2015, 03:23 PM   #807
hellospank25
Proud warmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Edmonton is also going to add another service beginning in May to Europe as well, given that KLM has announced a nonstop flight to Amsterdam.

http://www.klm.com/travel/ca_en/plan...s/edmonton.htm

Air Canada I am sure has to feel pretty stupid for cancelling their London-Heathrow flight from Edmonton.
what do you expect from Air Canada. Cancelling flights and routes is their craft
It is such a lousy airline that they can't even offer people from Newfoundland a direct flight to Europe with the exception of a lousy infrequent seasonal service to London
Old March 23rd, 2015, 06:41 AM   #808
mariol

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbalo View Post
As of end 2014 we have 29 out of 30 airports with more than 40 million passengers served. I am almost certain all below mentioned airports will achive 40 mil in 2015, but which one is going to be first? Well my guess would be DEL.
I think FCO will serve more than 40 million passengers in 2015.
It registered more than 38.5 million passengers in 2014 and increased +8% in January and February, which are not the busiest months of FCO.
mariol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #809
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Just thought I would let you guys know that in order to make this section more user friendly (since lets face it this section is a disorganized mess) I am going to create separate thread finder pages for both airlines and airports sometime in the near future. I should have both pages up by the end of the month I am guessing.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 06:20 AM   #810
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I can initiate that endeavor when I have time, and we can collaborate on that together. That way, our forum will be better organized and easier to navigate around.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old April 22nd, 2015, 04:58 PM   #811
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18177

Airline seat squeeze raises health and safety concerns
Excerpt
17 April 2015

BERLIN (Reuters) - Airlines are packing ever more seats into economy class to protect profit margins from falling ticket prices, prompting concerns over health and safety from travellers and crew.

Slim-line designs, extra emergency exits and creative placing of galleys and toilets are all playing their part in the great seat squeeze, say industry watchers.

"If you're a dog, you have very specific rules, but if you're a human being there are no specific rules as to what is humane," Charlie Leocha, the head of consumer group Travelers United, told a U.S. government advisory committee examining the issue in Washington D.C. this week.

Seat pitch, the distance from one seat to the same spot on the one in front or behind, has shrunk to as little as 28 inches on some flights, against the more common 31 or 32 inches for economy, according to seat makers.

Aircraft manufacturers Boeing and Airbus are increasing the number of places that can be squeezed in per row.

Making things even tighter for passengers, airlines have got better at managing ticket sales and filling planes, meaning the middle seat is rarely left free.

The economic factors are clear. Average ticket prices are expected to fall by 5 percent this year, according to industry body IATA, while airlines are expected to make a their best net profit margin in five years, albeit at just 3.2 percent.

But the health and safety impacts are still being debated.

AIR RAGE

The lack of space has triggered more outbreaks of air rage, Julie Frederick from the Association of Professional Flight Attendants told the Washington D.C. hearing of the Advisory Committee for Aviation Consumer Protections.

Several flights had to divert after passengers got into fights over reclining seats and lack of leg room last year.

It was also making it harder for crew to treat anyone needing medical help, Frederick added.

The number of passengers a type of aircraft is allowed to carry is mainly defined by how quickly people can exit in an emergency, hence the extra exits.

Keith Hansen, director of facilities at low-cost carrier Allegiant, told the hearing he did not think higher seat density was increasing risks in the event of an evacuation.

"We don't believe there's any increased safety risk whatsoever in an emergency evacuation ... These aircraft are all approved and certified by the FAA," he said.

Some low-cost airlines such as Ryanair, Spirit and Allegiant have already found one way round the reclining seat problem -- the fixed shell of their non-reclining seats also makes them cheaper to construct.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 05:34 AM   #812
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That is the exact same issue I'm facing when Airbus introduced the 3-5-3 seating layout for the A380, which means dozens of additional seats to be had with Y class on the main deck. I already find it bewildering to see the 3-4-3 seating layout being more common on more aircraft types (e.g. B747, B777, and A380), and with one more seat per row means the space and safety is slowly being compromised.

Old April 24th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #813
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18177

I avoid the 777 as much as possible when I fly Economy, especially the high-density 3-4-3 777's that some airlines use (Air Canada, Emirates). I think the seats are the same width but it just feels so much more crowded.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #814
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

How about CX or SQ that operate B77Ws on its trips from Hong Kong?

Old April 24th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #815
cfredo

Likes (Received): 1335

They both use the 3-3-3 configuration.
cfredo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #816
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Actually, London can be reached via the Channel Tunnel too via rail and road too. But yes, those consolidated figures for large metropolitan areas are amazing feats indeed.

Old April 24th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #817
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfredo View Post

They both use the 3-3-3 configuration.
Right. I just hope airline would retract their decision to go 3-4-3 or 3-3-3 and revert back to a 2-4-2 configuration on Y with the B777 to make the flight experience less intimidating.

Old April 24th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #818
bubbalo

Likes (Received): 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Actually, London can be reached via the Channel Tunnel too via rail and road too. But yes, those consolidated figures for large metropolitan areas are amazing feats indeed.
Since around 90% of HND traffic is domestic and all main islands are connected via railway or road it is also debatable
bubbalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #819
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Exactly. Not to mention, the Shinkansen does wonders between Honshu and Kyushu, and the rail network crisscrosses all four islands as well.

Anyways, I am debating whether to move forward with my fellow mod's, diablo234, plan of organizing the forum that will make locating threads easier, similar to the Transportation Forums... my idea would be to have a customized table complete with the following:

- Thread name
- Thread link
- Airport website (if you want)

And in the long run, a Google Map showing all the airports.

Yuri S Andrade liked this post
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:24 PM   #820
bubbalo

Likes (Received): 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Exactly. Not to mention, the Shinkansen does wonders between Honshu and Kyushu, and the rail network crisscrosses all four islands as well.

Anyways, I am debating whether to move forward with my fellow mod's, diablo234, plan of organizing the forum that will make locating threads easier, similar to the Transportation Forums... my idea would be to have a customized table complete with the following:

- Thread name
- Thread link
- Airport website (if you want)

And in the long run, a Google Map showing all the airports.
Well, I am observing "these changes" since couple months ago, so If you need any help, just let me know. I can participate as well.
bubbalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport