daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2016, 02:06 AM   #861
ederbat

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Welcome to the Aviation Forum!

This forum consists of the following types of threads:
  • City Airports
    Denoted with the airport(s) IATA code, followed by the name or the city area (for a collection of city airports).

Example: YYZ/YTZ | Toronto Area Airports
    Example: YVR | Vancouver International Airport
  • Airline Carriers
    Denoted with the airline(s) IATA code, followed by the carrier name. Some Airline Carrier threads are single airline carriers, some are categorized based on a collection of airlines from one country, and some are categorized based on airlines owned by one larger company. Use the forum's search tool to find your airline using the carrier's IATA code.

Note that member airlines of an alliance will have a symbol denoting the alliance. * is for Star Alliance, ™ is for Skyteam, and ° is for oneworld.

Example: AB | Air Berlin
    Example: CX°/KA°/LD | Swire Group: Cathay Pacific/Dragonair/Air Hong Kong
    KE™/OZ* | Korea-Based Carriers: Korean Air/Asiana
  • Airline Alliances
    Airline Alliances also have its own thread for news related to the alliance. * is for Star Alliance, ™ is for Skyteam, and ° is for oneworld.

Example: ONEWORLD° | News & Discussion
  • Airplane Manufacturers
    Discussion of airplane manufacturers have its own thread, and some specific models also have its own thread.

Example: BOEING | General News & Discussion
    Example: AIRBUS | A380 News & Discussion

Narita Airport
ederbat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2016, 07:17 AM   #862
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
The world of planes is getting more and more boring.

The 747-8 and A380 don`t do so well. At the end all airports will be full of two engines planes.

747-400, MD11, A340-600, BAe 146, Fokker 100 will vanish. We will see only 777, 787, A350, A330, 737 and A320 Neo.
Boring...
Agree! Just think about the time when we could see 747 next to Concorde an DC-10.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 04:54 PM   #863
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Likes (Received): 4384

Anyone flown on Aurora airlines? (Russia based)
I've been invited to a project to do on Sakhalin, but company will only pay so much for travel expenses, so I'm trying to look at various options.
Despite being close to Japan, it seems pretty expensive.
Old March 4th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #864
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9398

Hungary Opens Door for Emirates to Provide Lost Air Link to U.S.

The United Arab Emirates is seeking to establish Budapest as a bridgehead for onward flights in a move that could allow two of the Gulf region’s biggest airlines to carry people between central Europe and the U.S.

The application for so-called fifth-freedom rights concerns services to two points beyond Hungary, Saif Al Suwaidi, director general of the U.A.E.’s General Civil Aviation Authority, said in an interview, adding that those locations have yet to be determined, but could include the U.S.

Such flights can make a huge difference in the growth of airlines, opening up completely new markets that they wouldn’t otherwise be able to access. Since 2013, Emirates, the biggest U.A.E. airline, has been extending a Dubai-Milan service on to New York, tapping travel between prosperous northern Italy and the eastern U.S. with Airbus Group SE A380s seating more than 450 people.

Hungary is unusual in lacking a flag carrier after the collapse of Malev Zrt. in 2012, with Beijing and Qatar the only long-haul routes in addition to Emirates’s Dubai service. Peter Szijjarto, the country’s foreign minister, said in Dubai that the U.A.E. application had been received, while his office added that the government is “open to such cooperation” and aims to start discussions soon.

Connectivity Gap

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ir-link-to-u-s

II. János Pál pápa

patel2897 liked this post
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 12:34 AM   #865
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

The leader climbs a mountain and lo and behold all his air force pilots are there to greet him.

Usman ali liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 12:34 PM   #866
sponge_bob

Wifi hotspot causes mayhem on Qantas flight.

http://www.cnet.com/news/qantas-flig...grounds-plane/

Nobody admitted to it.
Old May 31st, 2016, 01:08 AM   #867
capizolano

Likes (Received): 6

hello
capizolano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2016, 11:30 PM   #868
sponge_bob

A 767 Trials a new route in Ireland.

Bitxofo, patel2897 liked this post
Old June 7th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #869
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post
Hungary Opens Door for Emirates to Provide Lost Air Link to U.S.

The United Arab Emirates is seeking to establish Budapest as a bridgehead for onward flights in a move that could allow two of the Gulf region’s biggest airlines to carry people between central Europe and the U.S.

The application for so-called fifth-freedom rights concerns services to two points beyond Hungary, Saif Al Suwaidi, director general of the U.A.E.’s General Civil Aviation Authority, said in an interview, adding that those locations have yet to be determined, but could include the U.S.

Such flights can make a huge difference in the growth of airlines, opening up completely new markets that they wouldn’t otherwise be able to access. Since 2013, Emirates, the biggest U.A.E. airline, has been extending a Dubai-Milan service on to New York, tapping travel between prosperous northern Italy and the eastern U.S. with Airbus Group SE A380s seating more than 450 people.

Hungary is unusual in lacking a flag carrier after the collapse of Malev Zrt. in 2012, with Beijing and Qatar the only long-haul routes in addition to Emirates’s Dubai service. Peter Szijjarto, the country’s foreign minister, said in Dubai that the U.A.E. application had been received, while his office added that the government is “open to such cooperation” and aims to start discussions soon.

Connectivity Gap

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ir-link-to-u-s
If there is such a resumption of service between Hungary and the US, then it would be great for the former since we all know that MALEV provided one of the few nonstop services between Eastern Europe and North America (the others being LOT, Aeroflot, and Turkish Airlines). And I believe it should be done with one of its 3-class B777-300ERs too to test the waters.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #870
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9398

EgyptAir is the new Malaysian...?

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 07:06 PM   #871
sponge_bob

Seemingly we are about to hear of a B-52neo very shortly. Pratt and Whitney will get the contract with a tweak of their PW1000 GTF family of engines.

The yanks carried out a ridiculous 'defence study' that said it was not worth doing in the 1990s but they did not factor in air tanker gas costs vs gassing her on the ground...never mind the enhanced loiter times over places like Kobani as you wait for accurate targeting data to present on the ground. As well as that most 'hot' B-52 missions are flown from places like Guam and Diego Garcia where fuel delivery costs on the ground are themselves high....not like the old days when they were based in Texas or Nebraska.

The yanks then corrected their gross mistakes some time afterwards ...they also noted that overhaul costs on the existing engines more than doubled between 1996 and 2004...never mind their astonishing thirst for fuel.

http://www.acq.osd.mil/dsb/reports/ADA428790.pdf
Old July 4th, 2016, 04:45 AM   #872
Kintoy
BAND

Likes (Received): 2237

Timelapse video of aircraft ground handling ops in JFK I took last Saturday

MNL NRT NGO DTW STL ATL ORD SEA MDW MSP MCI JFK LGA CVG KUL SIN HKG BKK LGK PVG SFO LAX MEX CUN OAK BKI TPE ICN SJU KTM REP BWN AUH IST ADB SAW TBS ZAM CEB DVO CGY PAG MPH KLO PPS ILO USU BCD RXS CRK TAG LGP SFS

patel2897 liked this post
Kintoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2016, 02:51 PM   #873
ErwinFCG

Likes (Received): 346

Connections EU 'big 4' airports to Asia

I already posted this image on the Dutch forum, but I think and hope it might also be interesting for this forum.

I created a visualisation of the connections to Asian airports from the 'big 4' airports in Western Europe: LHR, CDG, FRA and AMS. Each square denotes one weekly flight. Every row has 7 squares, so each row denotes one daily flight. This includes scheduled direct flights by all airlines (direct, so not necessarily non-stop: I included flights as long as they continue on the same flight number and same plane). I did not include Turkey, as there are so many holiday flights, it wouldn't fit on this map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinFCG View Post
While I thought AMS was quite strong with regard to Asia connections, it turns out in most countries it is behind on the other big 3, with the exception of Indonesia and Taiwan. I am especially surprised by the low number of flights from AMS to Tokyo, compared to the other three.

Starting in the winter season, I think the main changes will be the addition of more flights to Tehran (from LHR and AMS), and new flights from AMS to Colombo, while FRA and CDG will lose their connections to Colombo.
ErwinFCG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #874
bubbalo

Likes (Received): 924

Quote:
I already posted this image on the Dutch forum, but I think and hope it might also be interesting for this forum.

I created a visualisation of the connections to Asian airports from the 'big 4' airports in Western Europe: LHR, CDG, FRA and AMS. Each square denotes one weekly flight. Every row has 7 squares, so each row denotes one daily flight. This includes scheduled direct flights by all airlines (direct, so not necessarily non-stop: I included flights as long as they continue on the same flight number and same plane). I did not include Turkey, as there are so many holiday flights, it wouldn't fit on this map.

While I thought AMS was quite strong with regard to Asia connections, it turns out in most countries it is behind on the other big 3, with the exception of Indonesia and Taiwan. I am especially surprised by the low number of flights from AMS to Tokyo, compared to the other three.

Starting in the winter season, I think the main changes will be the addition of more flights to Tehran (from LHR and AMS), and new flights from AMS to Colombo, while FRA and CDG will lose their connections to Colombo.
Amazing map! I am very surprised with Seoul, expected more service from Europe
bubbalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 02:15 PM   #875
Love_Alisa
Ecce Ancilla Domini

Likes (Received): 251

Quote:

Jakarta today has daily flights to LHR by GA... it's direct flight, CGK-LHR (GA86) includes 1 stopover (SIN), but LHR-CGK (GA87) is nonstop flight...

formerly there were Air France CGK-SIN-CDG (until March 2016) and Lufthansa CGK-KUL-FRA... I'm still hoping them fly again to my city...

BTW I'm surprised that HND has more frequent flights to Europe than NRT...
Love_Alisa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 02:33 PM   #876
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Great work Erwin, I posted your chart on FT also, and credited it to you.

One more bit of detail that needs to be added is that Dubai is just not the largest of the group, but they have the largest amount of A380 air frames also.

Now that chart would be even more interesting if you added the amount of seat connections to each city.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 02:49 PM   #877
ErwinFCG

Likes (Received): 346

Thanks everyone for the replies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Alisa View Post
Jakarta today has daily flights to LHR by GA... it's direct flight, CGK-LHR (GA86) includes 1 stopover (SIN), but LHR-CGK (GA87) is nonstop flight...
It's not daily, but 5 times a week. GA87 (LHR-CGK) is not on Mondays and Fridays. GA89 (AMS-CGK) is not on Tuesdays, so 6 times a week. With the daily KLM flights this makes 13 weekly flights Jakarta-Amsterdam.
ErwinFCG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 02:56 PM   #878
Love_Alisa
Ecce Ancilla Domini

Likes (Received): 251

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies!

It's not daily, but 5 times a week. GA87 (LHR-CGK) is not on Mondays and Fridays. GA89 (AMS-CGK) is not on Tuesdays, so 6 times a week. With the daily KLM flights this makes 13 weekly flights Jakarta-Amsterdam.
OK, you're right... I don't know that CGK-LHR is only 5 times a week...

KLM flights are daily... AMS-KUL-CGK and AMS-SIN-DPS...

I will go from Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur on July 24 by KL810... that will be my 1st time experience with KLM...

ErwinFCG liked this post
Love_Alisa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2016, 02:06 AM   #879
sponge_bob

Pokemon Go demands access to an A380 in CDG and is stoutly resisted for now. It will all be futile by next week. They'll be upstairs in the bar by then.

Old August 19th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #880
sponge_bob

From Austria not From Photoshop. It reminds me of an Antonov propoganda video for some reason....even without the lipstick.

Tags
airport