daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #1
simms3
Like an aged wine

Likes (Received): 47

Atlanta Snowstorm Pictures (Including Skyline)

Here are the overdue pictures. 9 inches fell on Sunday night, and then the temps got too cold to keep it powdery and about 0.5-1 inch of ice fell and packed it down. By Monday it was about 5-7 inches of ice, perfect for sledding and discing. The temps here have been low and Atlanta had somewhat of an ice storm on Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday the high was only 25, but it was sunny. The whole city has been shut down for most of this week, and there are still people in suburban/rural areas who cannot leave their homes/driveways due to the ice. Yesterday I went to the grocery store because it was actually open and there was less ice on the roads, but the whole store was stocked out. There were a *few* TV dinners, canned soups, onions, and apples left. Nothing else and NO MILK

I'm telling you guys, this was only a moderate sized snow storm for anywhere and Atlanta only has 3 snow plows. 1 fun day in the snow is really not worth it. This storm made an even bigger mess in the NE (10-24 inches in most areas!!!). They can easily deal with 5-15 inches up there, but any more and it's just as much of a mess.

Snowing real hard (like 3+ inches an hour) and cars are literally stopping on the highway.

Whiteout...no visibility (it actually snows this hard 2-3 times a year in Atlanta, just not as long)

Shut down in a brief snow pause.

2 of our 3 snow plows, LOL

Even my covered balcony got about 2 inches reduced down to about 1.5 inches of ice.

Peachtree Road = empty. This is Monday at about 10. I ran into a friend from school who is from New York, and his work told him on Friday to bring stuff home to work from home. He ignored it thinking that it would not snow enough in Atl (bc it rarely does) to shut the city down, and he had to trance over to his building to get some papers.

Met up with some friends here to sled/tube down the hill.

Lake is probably frozen right now, at least partially.

Most people in Atlanta do not have chains.

Horrible shot of me, haha.

Too icy for that.

We did a lot of this, hehe.

IDIOT!

And the beginning of a moderately bad ice storm that caused a good amount of power outages.

This is from literally an hour or so ago. Going on 5 days on the ground...a long time for Atlanta to have this much ice on the ground.

simms3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12278

Before I joined SSC I had no idea it ever snowed in Atlanta!! We have about a billion snow plows here; too bad we couldn't send some of them down!

By the way, threads with your own photos must be started over in Urban Showcase. I'll move this one...
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #3
simms3
Like an aged wine

Thanks! I actually knew that, I don't know why I put it in the wrong forum
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Cool photos. I remember Atlanta only having 6 snowplows during last year's snowstorm. My familiy couldn't come over for our ski vacation in Breckenridge because the airport was closed
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #5
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244385

Really awesome and very nice winter photos from Atlanta
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3763

Seems like the weather is messed anywhere. Exciting photos from Atlanta, you got a real snowpocalypse!

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19418

Did you see, people from Michigan and Ohio?... Look what waits for you on the sunny South... Actually, the trucks cleaning the freeway, reminded me of a old SNL's sketch, called "Cleveland Vice".

Anyway, I really love the photos! It's always amazing to see a metropolis under a heavy snowfall. They all seem quiet, helpless. Thanks for sharing, simms3!
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
Did you see, people from Michigan and Ohio?... Look what waits for you on the sunny South...
Therein lies the danger of planning a Florida vacation in winter. 15c today in Tampa and only 20c in South Beach! You have to go further south
for guaranteed heat!
Old January 15th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #9
kingsway

Likes (Received): 12

I thought Florida got a thin snow once or as far as I can remember.
Old January 15th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #10
simms3
Like an aged wine

In December of 1989 much of the FL peninsula received a light dusting of about 1-2 inches tops, and it stayed on the ground for almost a day! Even Atlanta will get something like that 3-4 times a year... I was a baby in FL when it happened, but my parents did take a couple pictures of the yard. I, unfortunately, don't have those.

It will occasionally "flurry" in FL, too, sometimes as far south as Palm Beach (and sometimes Central FL gets flurries when N FL doesn't even get flurries...it's due mainly to wet weather and not so much a factor of temperatures).

Parts of NC in the mountains received close to 20 inches with this storm that dropped 7-10 inches around Atlanta. And the NE got it real bad when the Midwest storm that inundated South Bend combined with the SE storm and parts of CT and MA received close to 30 inches! Parts of GA and SC had measurable frozen rain of well over an inch, too, which is a moderate, almost severe ice storm (not quite like KY last year, though!).
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #11
hellospank25
Proud warmonger

Likes (Received): 2011

Is the guy in the photo you? So cute!
hellospank25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote