daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #241
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

The first section of the A1 motorway was opened in 2009 though. The sign can't be that new, so I guess it stood even before Albania had any motorway.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #242
lastsamurai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
The sign can't be that new, so I guess it stood even before Albania had any motorway.
That's what im trying to explain.Now it has been removed as new signs are placed along with new road being build but for the table we are speaking for..might be there since at the beginning of 90s,no chance before.
lastsamurai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #243
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
The first section of the A1 motorway was opened in 2009 though. The sign can't be that new, so I guess it stood even before Albania had any motorway.
So it's an "aspirational" sign. :-)

(There was nothing to stop the Albanian parliament from establishing a speed limit for motorways even before any existed, I suppose...)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #244
bogdymol
bogdymod

In Romania we have in the law the term "expressway" and the speed limit for such a road type. We even have the expressway sign in the law:

Unfortunately we don't have any roads signed as an expressway, so even though that sign exists in the law it's never used.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #245
Verso
Islander

Estonia also has the motorway sign in the law despite not having any motorway (I don't know about speed limit), but at least they don't show it on the border.
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #246
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
In Romania we have in the law the term "expressway" and the speed limit for such a road type. We even have the expressway sign in the law:

Unfortunately we don't have any roads signed as an expressway, so even though that sign exists in the law it's never used.
We have defined this one since 1994 even no "expressways" had even existed. Even when I was in driving school, I wondered what is this sign designated for. But since 2000 some primary roads were re-built to 2+2 alignment and were marked by this sign.

However, the speed limits and tolls for motorways and expressways are exactly alike. The only differences are the minimum curve radius, line width and maximum slope.

You can calmly hold you steering wheel by one finger on motorway, whereas there are some sections on expressway, where you indeed should hold you wheel strongly by both hands. So it is less convenient to drive on expressway, but still much better than on 1+1 primary road having a slow lorry ahead

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #247
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18743

Quote:

What type of roads would these expressways be (what parameters)?
Kemo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #248
bogdymol
bogdymod

The exact characteristics of express roads are not mentioned. Only the term "express road" and the specific sign are mentioned.

We can safely guess it's characteristics would be somewhere between a main national road and a motorway.
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #249
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
The exact characteristics of express roads are not mentioned. Only the term "express road" and the specific sign are mentioned.

We can safely guess it's characteristics would be somewhere between a main national road and a motorway.
The notion of an expressway in Slovakia follow some international or European laws. Here are the differences if you are interested more:

• Motorway can't have any intersection while Expressway can.
  • Motorway can be built only in a full profile, otherwise it is an expressway (we have few motorways [numbered by the letter D = dialnica] built in half-profile, but they are signed with the aforementioned signs as an expressway [official expressways in full profile are numbered with the letter R= rychlostna cesta]).
  • The maximum slope is 4,5 % on motorway and 5,5 % on expresway.
  • The overall width is 27,5 m on motorway and 24,5 on expressway.
  • The minimum lane width is 3,75 on motorway and 3,5 on expressway.
  • Minimum hard shoulder width is not defined for the epressway.
  • The minimum curve radius is greater in case of motorway
  • Usually, there is less roadside rest areas on expressway.
The category of expressway has been established due to economical efficiency for building roads of highest importance in predominantly hilly areas. It depends on particular country whether the speed limits or tolls will be different or not.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #250
bogdymol
bogdymod

Exactly what I said before:

Quote:
it's characteristics would be somewhere between a main national road and a motorway.
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #251
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Some senior party official, probably. One of those "more equal than equal" under the Commie rule.

Once I read a Hungarian article from 1987 by a journalist visiting Albania. It stated there is no private car ownership, but "traffic is developing", with new buses in Tirana, and a lot of mopeds imported by Albanians returning from abroad. I imagine after Hoxha's death, travel restrictions began to melt ...

The article also stated Albanians in possession of a TV set (that could cost up to a year's income) could select between one Albanian, two Yugoslav and two Italian TV channels. So at least information-wise, they weren't cut off from the rest of Europe.
Communist countries imposed a strong censorship on TV programmes but it was useless since it was possible to see foreign TV. Even in the DDR it was very easy to watch West German TV. And also in the same language.
I've read that visiting Albania was difficult even for Westerners in those years. And that Hoxha was so paranoid that he built thousands or anti-bomb bunkers across the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

(There was nothing to stop the Albanian parliament from establishing a speed limit for motorways even before any existed, I suppose...)
It's like the law that forbids to kill whales in Utah.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #252
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post

It's like the law that forbids to kill whales in Utah.
That's not so much aspirational as just plain silly.
(Please tell me you're making that one up....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 28th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #253
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
(Please tell me you're making that one up....)
Google says it's true
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #254
lastsamurai
BANNED

Quote:
Communist countries imposed a strong censorship on TV programmes but it was useless since it was possible to see foreign TV. Even in the DDR it was very easy to watch West German TV. And also in the same language.
That was only 1 Tv and 1 radio during communism regime.People were seeing and listening the same thing each day.If someone would get caught(As spies were everywhere) listening italian tv,he would have been jailed.

Quote:
I've read that visiting Albania was difficult even for Westerners in those years. And that Hoxha was so paranoid that he built thousands or anti-bomb bunkers across the country.
Not banned,but an foreigner should had a good reason for visiting the country.The bunkers story is more a myth and exaggerated than true,there were never been build 700.000 bunkers.lol.
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #255
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Did the government try to jam Italian broadcast signals? (I suppose you could pick up Greece too, at least in the south.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #256
lastsamurai
BANNED

Quote:
Did the government try to jam Italian broadcast signals? (I suppose you could pick up Greece too, at least in the south.)
All eyes of albanian people were toward Italy,Serbia(Yugoslavia) and Greece has never being seen with an good eye due to historical reasons,that's why everybody in Albania love Italy and speak italian very good.The govern was mostly worried about yugoslavs and greeks than italians,but there were restrictions also for Italy ofc.Most people of western part of Albania could caught italian signal,but due to fear,access to them was limited.Italian shows,music were common.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 04:01 PM   #257
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:

Although the first real Albanian motorway A1 (the part from Rrëshen to Kalimash) was opened in 2009, parts of the SH4 between Durres and Fier are signed with that green motorway sign a lot sooner. That's the road for what the speed limit is meant for. However, it can't be described as motorway, the closest one would be an expressway with four lanes.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:51 PM   #258
nestvaran
Inveniam viam

Likes (Received): 5090

Here's a nice picture of B&H entry sign

Last edited by nestvaran; May 29th, 2014 at 12:56 PM.
nestvaran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:18 AM   #259
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

In Singapore-Malaysia (Johor Bahru) border (yes ,it's bout 3km long in between) and outside the checkpoints in the main road/expressways ,the typical "practical" speed is a slow claw of 3-5kmh and the legal speed is bout 50-60kmh.

There's always these jams that's either one-sided or two-sided ,and takes bout an hour just to go though those.
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:48 PM   #260
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsHalt View Post
In Singapore-Malaysia (Johor Bahru) border (yes ,it's bout 3km long in between) and outside the checkpoints in the main road/expressways ,the typical "practical" speed is a slow claw of 3-5kmh and the legal speed is bout 50-60kmh.

There's always these jams that's either one-sided or two-sided ,and takes bout an hour just to go though those.
The topic of this thread is photos of general speed limit signs for an entire country (which are usually placed at borders), not speed limits through border crossings.