daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2015, 12:05 PM   #261
Castellar89

Likes (Received): 9

The maximum speed limit on motorways in the Netherlands was raised on 1 September 2012 from 120 km/h to 130 km/h.

However, this applies to only 48% of all motorways. Most motorways still have a speed limit of 100 or 120 km/h, depending on traffic and environment. Some motorways only have the maximum speed allowed during evening or night riding. The speed limits will be clearly marked, but if there is no speed limit posted, then the limit will be 130 km/h (default speed limit on Dutch motorways).

I wanted to post a photo of the new sign at the Dutch borders, but I should have at least 10 posts to post images and links. This was my first post on this forum.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Castellar89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2015, 04:29 PM   #262
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Welkom!

Just visit a few threads, post a few smart-ass comments, and you'll be at 10 posts before you know it.

See what they're on about in the Roadside Rest Area at the moment.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 09:38 PM   #263
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castellar89 View Post
The maximum speed limit on motorways in the Netherlands was raised on 1 September 2012 from 120 km/h to 130 km/h.

However, this applies to only 48% of all motorways. Most motorways still have a speed limit of 100 or 120 km/h, depending on traffic and environment. Some motorways only have the maximum speed allowed during evening or night riding. The speed limits will be clearly marked, but if there is no speed limit posted, then the limit will be 130 km/h (default speed limit on Dutch motorways).

I wanted to post a photo of the new sign at the Dutch borders, but I should have at least 10 posts to post images and links. This was my first post on this forum.
What is the speed limit on A2 between Ultrecht and Amsterdam? I know it was just 100 km/h .
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 09:48 PM   #264
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Serbia

Autobahn-mann liked this post
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 10:02 PM   #265
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
Serbia

riiga, SRC_100, Palance, Zagor666 liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 10:40 PM   #266
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

better sign. with 80 out of city and 50 in city, might as well call it even and keep 80 everywhere
Old February 1st, 2015, 10:48 PM   #267
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I always hated that sign (we used it for a while after independence as well, except it said SLO instead of YU), because it didn't feature the general speed limit in towns (which was 60 km/h back then). How were foreigners supposed to know that? Even I didn't know it until I was 16 or so.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:16 AM   #268
volodaaaa

But this is also great. I am supposed to stop by it I reckon.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:31 PM   #269
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

I wonder why truck speed limits are there too. Almost every different type of vehicle in Spain has a speed limit lower than the default one (there's even a distinction between vans and vans that can transport passengers), but they only signpost the limits for passenger cars.

This is unfair for the drivers of these vehicles, but such a complex sign would just be ignored.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:46 PM   #270
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18751

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
But this is also great. I am supposed to stop by it I reckon.
In this country, nobody seems to be bothered by the speed limits so it doesn't really matter if you read this sign.
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:17 AM   #271
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I always hated that sign (we used it for a while after independence as well, except it said SLO instead of YU), because it didn't feature the general speed limit in towns (which was 60 km/h back then). How were foreigners supposed to know that? Even I didn't know it until I was 16 or so.
Wasn't it an excellent way to collect hard-currency fines from tourists?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 03:30 PM   #272
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

They probably thought the speed limit was 50 km/h, so they were even slower. Btw, this sign looks pathetic.

Last edited by Verso; February 5th, 2015 at 03:38 PM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 08:26 AM   #273
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Border speed limit signs from Hungary were posted on page 1 of this thread already, but here's another one. I think not the newest, but it shows the currently applicable limits.
This is already a simplification of a former sign that was a 4 x 4 matrix!

(Src: http://kisaetr.blogspot.ch/2013/01/k...rlatozask.html)
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #274
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

There are other ways of conveying all this information than putting it all on one sign. We don't have that sort of thing at all over here. You will see when you're crossing a state line signs saying that texting is illegal and so on, but it's more likely to be a series of signs than one. New Jersey used to post default speed limits at the state line (there are still some signs out there, but I'm guessing they're just old), but there were just two - urban and rural. The speed limit on a particular stretch of road can just be posted when you come to it....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #275
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Wasn't it an excellent way to collect hard-currency fines from tourists?
I would not like to sound offensive, but wise driver always check the basic information on traffic rulles in particular country before they depart. I have never relied on such sign. And I would not mind if there is none. But as a border freak, it somehow match the fact you are entering a country.

Penn's Woods, Road_UK liked this post
Old February 6th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #276
Gubot

Likes (Received): 2277

New sign introduced:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vog View Post

GROBIN liked this post
Gubot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 01:31 AM   #277
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I would not like to sound offensive, but wise driver always check the basic information on traffic rulles in particular country before they depart. I have never relied on such sign. And I would not mind if there is none. But as a border freak, it somehow match the fact you are entering a country.
No, I agree. I'm always amused when reading complaints online from (usually Americans) about how they were caught without vignettes and how it's completely unfair. I do think however that many countries could do a much better job of providing information at borders, particularly at major tourist crossings. Croatia is the only country (I think...) that bothers with tourist information offices at major crossings.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 01:59 AM   #278
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Re Americans unaware of vignettes:

Sounds like a communications problem. Yes, they ought to read up in advance (I mean, heck, how do you plan a trip of that magnitude without working out the costs, unless you have money to burn), but on the other hand, their car-rental companies could be communicating this to them. (I imagine the number of Americans tooling around central Europe in their own cars is negligible, unless it's the Bimmer they just picked up at the factory.)

Afterthought: it'd still have to occur to the person to ask the question, though. We don't have vignettes. (And if we did, we'd call them stickers...) But we do have tolls, so that's not that much of an excuse.

Re tourist information: "Welcome Centers" run by state tourist-promotion departments are just about universal on Interstates at state lines here. (Some pics of a recently rebuilt one near here, apparently by the designer of the signage: http://agsinfo.com/work/pennsylvania...me-center-i95/)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 8th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #279
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
There are other ways of conveying all this information than putting it all on one sign. We don't have that sort of thing at all over here. You will see when you're crossing a state line signs saying that texting is illegal and so on, but it's more likely to be a series of signs than one. New Jersey used to post default speed limits at the state line (there are still some signs out there, but I'm guessing they're just old), but there were just two - urban and rural. The speed limit on a particular stretch of road can just be posted when you come to it....
You could just - not have default speed limits

Is it so hard to put a sign (50) instead of the "houses and church" sign, and then a sign (100) instead of the "no more houses and church" sign? And maybe a |140| sign instead of the chopsticks?
Old February 8th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #280
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Is it so hard to put a sign (50) instead of the "houses and church" sign, and then a sign (100) instead of the "no more houses and church" sign? And maybe a |140| sign instead of the chopsticks?
No, because each intersection cancels the speed limit signs (at least in some countries). So you would have to put thousands of additional (50) signs in every city.
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote