daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:39 PM   #141
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
What's the difference between blue motorway and green motorway?
A car (expressway) symbol would've been much better than the blue motorway sign for Italy & Albania.

I also don't understand why Spaniards don't use it for their Autovías ...

Is that somehow written on the Vienna Convention ?

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:01 PM   #142
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
A car (expressway) symbol would've been much better than the blue motorway sign for Italy & Albania.
Why (except for standardization with other countries)?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #143
andy5

Likes (Received): 6

[IMG]http://i39.************/2iks19c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.************/ftowvp.jpg[/IMG]

on the A20 heading uphill out of Dover

and some signs in the north- and southbound parking areas on the A68

[IMG]http://i40.************/207ozt2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.************/2qjgkn8.jpg[/IMG]

andy5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #144
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Quote:

I also don't understand why Spaniards don't use it for their Autovías ...

Is that somehow written on the Vienna Convention ?
Most countries in the EU use the same standard as Albania uses.

PS. Republic of Kosovo probably has a new speed limit sign since first section of motorway is now complete, as well as a proper expressway from Prishtinë leading towards Pejë.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #145
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Why (except for standardization with other countries)?
First of all, because of the fact that in each European country, expressway/morotway signs may be green and others blue & not all tourists are Motorway-freaks like us, which may confuse them.
Italy and Albania have direct neighbors who use either blue for motorways & green or other colors for expressways (France, Austria) or the contrary (Switzerland, Slovenia, Kosovo, Greece). People from those countries have their habits &, apart of standardization, a car symbol is much clearer than an expressway symbol with a different color.

And the second for ... colorblind people It's not a joke ! I know 2 of them ! One of them confuses green and blue, whereas the other ... green and red (bad for traffic lights ! but at least he knows on which one he must stop: on the one above)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
Most countries in the EU use the same standard as Albania uses.

PS. Republic of Kosovo probably has a new speed limit sign since first section of motorway is now complete, as well as a proper expressway from Prishtinë leading towards Pejë.
Only Italy uses it. The rest of Europe do as I wrote on post #141 & the old Kosovo sign is at least very clear & should be an inspiration for countries like Latvia or Estonia, which currently have no motorway.

P.S.:@shpirtkosova: I assume so, as I saw the motorway section on the RKS section.
P.P.S.:@andy5: I know these signs on A20, but ... I didn't see them on A2 for instance. Why ?

I also think the Polish sign is "too much", although at least it is VERY precise. The Spanish one is quite similar. The French (just as the Spanish) one is not really needed IMHO as speed limits are signposted everywhere here (which I think is quite useless ...)

Speed limits should also be systematically signposted when leaving airports & international ferry terminals, which I saw only in Helsinki & coming back from the UK, in Neuville-Lès-Dieppe)

Did anyone see the Belarusian or the Ukrainian sign ?

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; December 5th, 2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Adding a comment
Old December 5th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #146
shpirtkosova
BANNED

This is what the border sign should look like today (thanks to some Microsoft paint mastercrafting) lol.

Old December 5th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #147
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9137

Sign at the new border crossing control point between Bulgaria and Greece at mountain pass Makaza:

Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #148
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
And the second for ... colorblind people It's not a joke ! I know 2 of them ! One of them confuses green and blue, whereas the other ... green and red (bad for traffic lights ! but at least he knows on which one he must stop: on the one above)
I am colorblind and it does not work that way. Except for very few cases, colorblind people have hard time distinguishing two colors (in my case they're red and green) but only if they're heavily mixed like in those standard tests:

I have no idea which is the number created by green spots in the previous picture. And I must admit sometimes I have hard time at the traffic lights, but only when they are surrounded by a tree so that the red light is among green leaves.
But there is no chance a colorblind person can confuse between two solid colors, very much apart and distant from each other, like the motorway icons in border signs.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #149
bogdymol
bogdymod

Here is a question for you. I imagine that you, as a color blind person can see if the traffic light is green or red because of the position of the light (up = red; down = green). How about horizontal traffic light?

Picture taken this summer in Zagreb, Croatia.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #150
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Here is a question for you. I imagine that you, as a color blind person can see if the traffic light is green or red because of the position of the light (up = red; down = green). How about horizontal traffic light?
No no, things are more complicated than that. I have no problems with traffic lights, under normal circumstances. I can see red and I can see green, I don't have to rely on position. However, there are some circumstances where I can't rely either on colour or on position, such as traffic lights surrounded by a tree. In that case I can't see red or green light, so I cannot distinguish which is above and which is below!

If I were color blind the way you think, I would not been able to get my license.
Old December 5th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #151
bogdymol
bogdymod

I think I understand now. Would you do me a favour? Can you please tell me what number(s) do you see in the picture you posted above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Old December 5th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #152
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

The first cypher vaguely looks like a 2, and the second one to me is a 1. But I have to put some effort to see them
Old December 5th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #153
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
The first cypher vaguely looks like a 2, and the second one to me is a 1. But I have to put some effort to see them
That image is part of Ishihara Color Blindness Test (Plate 7). The result is:

Quote:
What did you see?
“74″ Those with normal color vision see a 74.
“21″ Those with red green color blindness see a 21.
Nothing Those with total color blindness see nothing.
Take a look here.

I am quite familiar with some optic tests since unfortunatelly I had to support an eye surgery once...
Old December 5th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #154
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

@bodygmol & g.spinoza: very interesting debate ! I must admit that, even without being colorblind, the first image you showed is quite a pain in the eyes to me ! But my best friend's father is colorblind just like that: he's got a problem with green & red exactly the same way as you describe yours !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Sign at the new border crossing control point between Bulgaria and Greece at mountain pass Makaza:

Bulgaria 130 ? I thought it was 120 ! They certainly put it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
This is what the border sign should look like today (thanks to some Microsoft paint mastercrafting) lol.

Going to Albania, Serbia, Montenegro or Macedonia soon ? Would be nice to check the new roadsign for us ! (kidding of course). Maybe they wrote correctly "Republika Kosovo" in Serbian

Old December 5th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #155
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9137

It's 130 more than 10 years for sure, maybe even 15... Although there's one rusty forgotten by everybody similar sign at the beginning of A1 Trakia near Sofia Ring Road, which stays with the old 120 and misleads foreigners, who travel from there...

P.S. Last change of this part of the law about speed limits has been in April 2002, so it is at least 9+ years since it's 130 on motorways in Bulgaria.

Last edited by Chilio; December 5th, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #156
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Quote:
@bodygmol & g.spinoza:

Going to Albania, Serbia, Montenegro or Macedonia soon ? Would be nice to check the new roadsign for us ! (kidding of course). Maybe they wrote correctly "Republika Kosovo" in Serbian

I'm not very sure about the Serbian language, maybe this is how the Serbs in Kosovo write it. Seems like the signs were probably done by aan amateur Serbian speaker.
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #157
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

A bit like what happened a year & a half ago in Wales ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...road-sign.html

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #158
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Croatia: entering the country at border crossing Letenye (H) / Goričan

January 2012. Speed limits are the same as in Hungary.

Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #159
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Dutch speed limit sign at Oberhausen -> Arnhem motorway.
Interestingly, there is at least one motorway within the Netherlands -somewhere south of Rotterdam- that has stretches of 130km/h signposted limit.
Is this an experiment towards a higher general limit, or just a local thing?

Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #160
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

At least 45% of the Dutch motorways will get a 130 km/h limit in September 2012.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote