daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:49 PM   #681
sshivakumar

Likes (Received): 324

Quote:
Chennai: World chess champion Viswanathan Anand on Saturday received a rousing welcome by his fans, who lined-up in good numbers to greet him, as the chess wizard returned home after winning his fifth world title.

Anand defeated Israeli challenger Boris Gelfand in rapid tie-break in Moscow to defend his world championship title.

The fans thronged the international airport to greet Anand, who is now a world champion since 2007. Anand and his wife Aruna's parents were also there, apart from several chess players.

The government and the chess Federation officials also came to the airport to receive Anand.

Additional secretary Rajkumar and member secretary, Sports Vijay Kumar received Anand on behalf of the state government.

"I am very happy that so many people have come here to greet me and honour me," Anand said after arriving here from Moscow.

"I express my grateful thanks to madam (CM) Jayalalitha. They recognised my victory for a cash award of Rs. 2 crore. I am happy that chess has been introduced in the schools. I am sure, more champions will grow now.

"I have sought a meeting with the CM and hopefully it will happen soon," he said.

All India Chess Federation (AICF) president JCD Prabhakar and Secretary General Bharat Singh and FIDE (World Chess Federation) Vice President D V Sundar were also there to receive Anand.
http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/c...-heros-welcome
sshivakumar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:00 AM   #682
vinodgopal

Likes (Received): 248

yes, I think Anand could be the best ambassador for TN state. I heard once Rajinikanth came to Tal chess club at the Soviet(now Russian) cultural center in late 70's or max till 81 and Anand was a boy wonder during then. When Rajinikanth signed an autograph, he said one day I think you will be signing me autographs!
vinodgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:12 PM   #683
jaish
Jaishankar

Likes (Received): 445

avar Vaiku sarkarai podunum.
Old June 4th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #684
kannan infratech

Likes (Received): 5759

I remember those legendary friendlies, which Junior Anand used to play (Chess Blitzkreig) at the Soviet Centre. Man... He is so fast. I used to accompany my friends who were Chess enthusiasts and I never got bored when Anand was around.

He used to play with 30 -40 people at the same time. He would walk along the aisle and keep playing with every one. He takes only split second to make his moves.

He is much more mellowed and matured now, it looks like. But his tactics are now open book and are the most analysed after Karpov & Kasparov.

I hope Chennai hosts the next Championship.

P.S. What a contrast it was - Celebration of Anand's victory & KKR's victory.
kannan infratech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #685
krishnaswamy
Krishna

Likes (Received): 2869

JJ bats for Vishy Anand for Bharat Ratna...
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #686
saysenthil

Likes (Received): 1255

J Jayalalithaa says Viswanathan Anand deserves Bharat Ratna

Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa on Monday said World chess champion Viswanathan Anand deserved Bharat Ratna. She said this during her brief interaction with the media on her arrival here after meeting Planning Commission officials in New Delhi.

Sources said the state government was planning a state-level felicitation to Anand. The felicitation would be held as per the convenience of both the chief minister and Anand, they said.

In a letter to Anand soon after his victory, Jayalalithaa had said, "You have brought laurels both to Tamil Nadu and India. I congratulate you on this magnificent victory. May you continue to retain this title for many more years." Later she had also announced Rs 2 crore reward to Anand. In return, Anand profusely thanked the chief minister for her gesture and also her decision to introduce chess in schools.

Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award and there has been a debate as to which sportsperson should get the honour first. So far, no sportsman has been given the Bharat Ratna.

Jayalalithaa also talked about other issues like Sonia's comment that non-Congress-ruled states are not implementing policies. When asker for her reaction, Jayalalithaa said, "I have not looked into the statement and I will react after looking into it. It's not worth commenting also". On the alleged human rights violation against the Kudankulam protesters, she said she would ask the police to look into the matter.
saysenthil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #687
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Likes (Received): 1194

Chief Minister today presented a cheque for Rs. 2 crore to the poor Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand, which will help him pay for moving his house from spain to chennai.
Anniyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #688
sridhar_n

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniyan View Post
Chief Minister today presented a cheque for Rs. 2 crore to the poor Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand, which will help him pay for moving his house from spain to chennai.
I am too against such handouts. CM could have arranged a felicitation ceremony and only that & no hand outs. The 2 Crs could have been spent on the other worthy cause. I hope Anand donates this money to some worthy cause.
sridhar_n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #689
krishnaswamy
Krishna

Likes (Received): 2869

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_n View Post
I am too against such handouts. CM could have arranged a felicitation ceremony and only that & no hand outs. The 2 Crs could have been spent on the other worthy cause. I hope Anand donates this money to some worthy cause.
Sir, this is the price money that this govt is giving. It is for his achievement. why he has to donate this?
when a chotta motta IPL players earning like anything, what is wrong in felicitating a world champion and why champion has to donate the money..?
For World cup winning team, BCCI gave Rs 1 Cr reward on top of match fee. Ashwin got that money too. He earns in IPL as well. TN Govt gave 3 Cr to him.
where were you that time to request Ashwin to donate this?
Its irony that CG issilent on Vishy Anand, whereas President hosted a dinner for Indian cricket team for winning WC.
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #690
kannan infratech

Anti Anand lobby at CG seems quite strong as they are not able to control the Indian Chess Federation.

Namma Koppal kku rahasyam theriuma ?
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #691
saysenthil

Anand offers to assist T.N. scheme to take chess to schools

“I think this is going to be a golden era for sports in the State”

World Chess Champion Viswanathan Anand, who successfully defended his title by defeating challenger Boris Gelfand last week, on Wednesday expressed his willingness to lend his support to the Tamil Nadu government's scheme to introduce chess in schools.

After calling on Chief Minister Jayalalithaa at the Secretariat along with his wife Aruna, the champion told reporters that if the State government needed his help, he would be delighted to provide it.

Emphasising the need for assistance of the corporate sector too in this endeavour, he said the kind of institutional support from the State government and the inclusion of chess in the schools was giving a “very firm foundation” to the future of chess in the State. The involvement of the corporate sector would take the game to the higher level. “I think this is going to be a golden era for sports in Tamil Nadu.”

Anand, who received a cheque for Rs. 2 crore from the Chief Minister, expressed the hope that the introduction of chess for school students from the age group of seven to 17 would produce great chess players. Referring to the State's plan of introducing the game in 32,000 clubs which he had discussed with her, Anand said the State government was putting up all infrastructure and “I believe within a couple of years, it will be fully operational.”

On his meeting with Ms. Jayalalithaa, he termed it “very, very nice” and thanked her for the cash award. She was well informed of the details of the match, he added.

The Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu has brought out a publication, describing him as the “Pride of Chennai — The Greatest Chess Player,” and praising him for bringing an “Anand Wave” to inspire more Indians take to the game.
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #692
karkal

Likes (Received): 5885

Anand offers to assist T.N. scheme to take chess to schools

PRIDE OF CHENNAI: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa giving away a cheque for Rs. 2 crore to World Chess Champion Viswanathan Anand at the Secretariat in Chennai on Wednesday. Anand’s wife Aruna is with him.

“I think this is going to be a golden era for sports in the State”

Last edited by karkal; June 7th, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
karkal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #693
karkal

Likes (Received): 5885

In a state where actors,directors and support staff in movies get free land (which will run into several crores) just for sucking the old man who is past his prime,

I would say

For a 5 time world champion and putting Chennai on the world map of sports - what she paid is a pittance.
karkal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #694
kannan infratech

Amaidhi.... Amaidhi....

I hope TN Govt invests in Chess infra across TN and use Anand's expertise for promotion aka Soviet model.
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #695
saysenthil

CSK cover design contest

Once scintillating photo:

FB COVER DESIGN CHALLENGE! Shortlist #3: Super Fan Jai Sivakumar's Design
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #696
vinodgopal

Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkal View Post
In a state where actors,directors and support staff in movies get free land (which will run into several crores) just for sucking the old man who is past his prime,

I would say

For a 5 time world champion and putting Chennai on the world map of sports - what she paid is a pittance.
+100000

sorry for late response.
vinodgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #697
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Any list of TN players/athletes qualified for London Olympics?
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #698
kannan infratech

Quote:
Any list of TN players/athletes qualified for London Olympics?
I read in Vikatan that a Keralite origin guy but representing Tamil Nadu has qualified for London Olympics in Athletics.

I think it is Ranjith Maheswari in Triple Jump. He has his mothersname as Surname. or is it Renjith ?
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #699
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Is Vishnuvardhan Jagadesan from TN?
Old June 26th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #700
kannan infratech

Quote: