daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2016, 09:22 PM   #561
Northern Lotus

Likes (Received): 37

Impressive landscaping and green spaces along the river.
Northern Lotus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #562
CrystalPhoenix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post

Not entirely finished yet, you can't expect it to be full from day one.
How about across the river? Right side?

Zaz965, SLASH_2 liked this post
CrystalPhoenix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #563
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

People go to bed early in Tianjin.

Zaz965, 0095914 liked this post
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2016, 12:59 AM   #564
Renegade_Bison

Likes (Received): 66

[QUOTE=CrystalPhoenix;133360240]How about across the river? Right side?

The right side of the river in this photo is tanggu which is extremely busy. I worked there until last October. It used to take 45 minutes to get from central tanggu (not that far from the river) back to second avenue in TEDA during rush hour because the traffic barely moves.

Tanggu is a historic area, famed for its sea food and local dialect. I don't know the population, but many hundreds of thousands of people live there as a bare minimum and apart from the expanding suburbs under construction, it is absolutely full to the brim with people.

It's very easy to see a photo of somewhere on the other side of the world and get an impression from it, but the reality is often very far removed from the perception.

As for yujiapu, I was there yesterday to go to the global go mall. Progress is slow/on hold for some of the buildings whilst others are flying up. It's certainly not a ghost town, it's simply incomplete. The shopping mall was absolutely rammed full of people yesterday and no parking spaces available.

For those worried about this, Yujiapu is not a ghost town and is getting more not less busy.

It will be a handful of years until it starts to resemble being as busy as older areas like tanggu though

Munwon, surfnasi, Zaz965, CP11 liked this post
Renegade_Bison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #565
Renegade_Bison

Was there last week and will be back tomorrow.

A small but steady stream of workers busy around lots of the various sites

Build build build!

Zaz965, Munwon liked this post
Old August 31st, 2016, 02:08 AM   #566
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 25992

I am afraid if this cbd could be ghost...I hope not

djole13 liked this post
Zaz965 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 04:50 AM   #567
Renegade_Bison

This point keeps being brought up

As someone who lives 5 minutes away by car I can confirm it is not a ghost town. Most of the buildings are not finished yet. Many buildings which are finished and open appear to have people working there and the area itself gets busier each month

It will be years until the whole area is entirely finished and occupied but the trend is moving in that direction slowly but surely

I was there yesterday and was able to confirm that some small external work was going on with the twin towers. I'm not architect (town planner by education) so I couldn't tell specifically what they were doing, but they appeared to be installing some white piping on the outside frame of the building. There were at least 2 teams of people working on this on one of the towers, whilst I didn't manage to see people working on the other - but the other tower already appeared to have these pipes installed

Needless to say thankful for seeing some progress
Old December 2nd, 2016, 06:01 PM   #568
Arseny

Likes (Received): 895

November 2016

Old December 3rd, 2016, 09:05 AM   #569
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_Bison View Post
This point keeps being brought up

As someone who lives 5 minutes away by car I can confirm it is not a ghost town. Most of the buildings are not finished yet. Many buildings which are finished and open appear to have people working there and the area itself gets busier each month

It will be years until the whole area is entirely finished and occupied but the trend is moving in that direction slowly but surely

I was there yesterday and was able to confirm that some small external work was going on with the twin towers. I'm not architect (town planner by education) so I couldn't tell specifically what they were doing, but they appeared to be installing some white piping on the outside frame of the building. There were at least 2 teams of people working on this on one of the towers, whilst I didn't manage to see people working on the other - but the other tower already appeared to have these pipes installed

Needless to say thankful for seeing some progress
The point keeps getting bought up because most people on this thread have never to Tianjin maybe not China so cannot speak from first hand experience
Their views and beliefs about the outside world are shaped by the media. The media can paint any picture they want to, this is only an issue when you use reality to challenge perception.

Pansori liked this post
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #570
Renegade_Bison

Yeah I get that, but the point has already been addressed in the thread. I even put a comment about it and the next comment replying said they're worried it will be a ghost town

We can all look at a couple of photos of a place on the other side of the world and reach these judgements but when people who literally live there are explaining its not actually quite true it's worth them paying attention!
Old December 6th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #571
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1657

Most people resent having their own ignorance pointed out to them.
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 09:18 AM   #572
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunming tiger View Post
The point keeps getting bought up because most people on this thread have never to Tianjin maybe not China so cannot speak from first hand experience
Their views and beliefs about the outside world are shaped by the media. The media can paint any picture they want to, this is only an issue when you use reality to challenge perception.
Been there, I can attest it is ghostlike. They need to do what Zhengzhou did to their ghost town and force companies to move into it. Now Zhengzhou CBD is only a ghost town on the weekends.

Munwon, spectre000 liked this post
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 03:26 PM   #573
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

Definitely not a success so far compared to expectations. It's not completely abandoned but that's a very low bar to pass.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #574
Renegade_Bison

It would've been naive of anyone to think that tianjin was going to open a massive commercial district like this over the space of a few years and immediately fill it and have it bustling. They will surely have hoped for better (who doesn't?) but no one serious about property could have seriously expected this to be flourishing in such a short time.

The area has gotten progressively busier but most of the buildings still aren't entirely finished.

It will happen.
Old December 10th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #575
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

Yes, I'm sure it will be fine. Plans might have been too ambitious for 2010 but East Asia is getting there at some point inevitably.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #576
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6216

Just remember, you're dealing with a post-truth audience and society here. It doesn't matter what the facts are, only what people complicitly want them to be.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #577
oscillation

by flyhigher

Old November 29th, 2017, 08:47 AM   #578
oscillation

by 万里台风 Typhoon Miles