daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

CHICAGO | Millennium Park Plaza | 143m | 470ft | 40 fl | Canceled

Height: 143m / 470ft
Floor count: 40
Construction end: 2010
Architect: Solomon, Cordwell, Buenz and Associates
Developer: BJB Partners, Inc.

Old renderings:

The footprint will be approximately 70 feet X 80 feet (21 meters X 24 meters).

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; January 22nd, 2011 at 05:22 AM.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #2
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quite nice coming from SCB. The base looks spectacular and the roof garden is an interesting element, hopefully it will be lit at night. All in all, I'm pleased, especially since the UGLY Doral Plaza will finally be hidden.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #3
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I can't help wondering how they'll handle the south-facing windows in Millennium (Doral) Plaza. It's a rental building, but those must be bedroom or living room windows, and I wouldn't think those rooms would also wrap around to the east or west sides. Will they have to reconfigure those south end apartments?
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #4
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
....and the roof garden is an interesting element, hopefully it will be lit at night.
it will. what's his name from SCB specifically said that the rooftop atrium would be illuminated at night for dramatic effect.
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #5
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

^Ah, that's cool.

BTW, there's a misspelling in the thread title
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #6
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

^Fixed it, thanks.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #7
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

That new sidewalk frontage, with its modern looks, will hopefully attract some more higher end stores south of the river, I always hate how the river divides the high end stores on Michigan from the incredibly crappy low end ones, especially considering its so close to MP.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #8
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I can't help wondering how they'll handle the south-facing windows in Millennium (Doral) Plaza. It's a rental building, but those must be bedroom or living room windows, and I wouldn't think those rooms would also wrap around to the east or west sides. Will they have to reconfigure those south end apartments?
Configurations wern't discussed.
It was mentioned that the first 2 floors of the Doral would be reclad. Also, the Michigan Avenue front will have retail along it.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #9
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthediscoman View Post
That new sidewalk frontage, with its modern looks, will hopefully attract some more higher end stores south of the river, I always hate how the river divides the high end stores on Michigan from the incredibly crappy low end ones, especially considering its so close to MP.
Funny you should mention that because if you look at the rendering:

I spy with my little eye, methinks a Starbucks logo LOL.
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #10
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

^Yeah I noticed that.

Also I noticed the balcony railing, eww!, why not make them glass instead? I think this visually ruins the flow from street level, other than that this is a home run.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #11
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Why they chose metal balusters instead of glass is so far beyond my comprehension I can't even begin to speculate. I mean, this isn't some 80's tower on Lakeshore for shit's sake!
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #12
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

It's actually a Buckstars logo. We can't be infringing on copyrights here.

But yeah, Michigan's street frontage on MP has some crappy stores. There's a spot at the base of Willoughby Tower that's been vacant for awhile, it looks horrible.

Michigan between Randolph and Wacker isn't so bad - you have some drugstores, HawkQuarters, the Hard Rock Hotel, Moonstruck, etc.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #13
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Moonstruck is yummy. Coffee and chocolate, what a great combo Starbucks is good too.

About the building though, I noticed that both this building and Heritage have horizontal rectangles on top. In Heritage, it is used for light decoration. I wonder if this building will have its rectangle lit up as well. I also wonder if the architect tried to complement Heritage by having a similar geometric feature. The bottom of this building also reminds me of the top of One South Wacker. I hope MPP gets built, overall its a good design.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #14
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post
About the building though, I noticed that both this building and Heritage have horizontal rectangles on top. In Heritage, it is used for light decoration. I wonder if this building will have its rectangle lit up as well.
That's the plan, according to what was stated at the recent Grant Park Advisory Council Meeting.
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #15
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

A lot of recent buildings have similar crowns - One South Dearborn, 191 North Wacker, the proposed Mandarin Oriental, and, to some extent, the Legacy.

SCB seems to like them a lot - there might even be one on the plans for 560 North Fairbanks.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #16
Chi649

On post 14, I meant One South Dearborn and not One South Wacker. Who the hell cares though. Me, obviously
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #17
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Plans for Doral apartments refined

Newcityskyline.com
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
By Mario Velazquez

NewcitySkyline - Park Ridge, IL developer BJB Partners, owner of the Millennium Park Plaza apartment building, announced a few months ago that they were adding a new residential tower to the existing structure.

The 24-year-old building formerly known as Doral Plaza is located at 151 N. Michigan in one of the best locations in downtown Chicago.

The new addition would stand at the south end of the existing property, sitting on a small 6,000 square-foot lot currently occupied by La Strada restaurant.

Once built, the new tower located at the north east corner of Michigan Avenue and Randolph Street would become one of the most visible buildings in the city of Chicago due its strategic location – facing Millennium Park to the south and Michigan Avenue to the west.

Such a high-profile location required a design that would be so worthy. The new building would be the latest contribution to Grant Park’s north wall, which includes some of downtown’s most prominent skyscrapers – the likes of the Aon Center, the Blue Cross Blue Shield building and the Prudential Plaza complex.

To achieve a suitable design for their new high-rise, BJB entrusted Chicago-based architectural firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz and Associates with the task.

Originally the project called for a 40-story tower measuring approximately 416 feet. However, the most recent design unveiled Monday at the Grant Park Advisory Council and Grant Park Conservancy meeting by Architect John Leahy from Solomon Cordwell Buenz, calls for a 41-story structure measuring 470 feet.

The building’s skin consists of glass and stainless steel finishes. To add more consistency, the first two floors of the existing Millennium Park Plaza would also get new cladding.

The 74-apartment tower will also include retail on the first floor, a restaurant on the 2nd and 3rd floors and a roof garden on top of the building next to a mechanical penthouse.

The entrance of the new building will be located on the east side, on Beaubien Ct., avoiding increased traffic to Michigan Avenue or Randolph Street. Residents would also have access to the pedway and the public parking garage underneath Millennium Park.

So far the project has not gone through the Chicago Planning Commission and the developers still don’t have a starting construction day, however, the project is expected to take approximately two years once it starts.

Other projects in Chicago by Solomon Cordwell Buenz proposed or currently under construction are 340 on the Park, Madison West 645, The Legacy, Mandarin Oriental, Block 37, Parkview Towers and 50 East Chestnut.

For more information about Millennium Park Plaza visit www.doralmichiganavenue.com or call 312.616.6000.

Copyright © 2006 - 2007 NewcitySkyline, Inc.
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #18
i_am_hydrogen
muted

According to Shawn at SSP, this one has been approved.
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #19
Chi649

Wow, that didn't take long.
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #20
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I'm really excited about this tower - despite the prison-cell balcony treatment. I think it will be a huge addition to the GP streetwall.

Tags
chicago