daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > Trivandrum

Old July 14th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #101
Xeno Axe

Likes (Received): 200

SL Theatres, Trivandrum

Some pics of the 4 screen complex, SL Theatres, Trivandrum. (Aswathy, Athira, Anjali, Athulya)

Sorry for the low clarity... Taken with mobile phone.

Sponsored Links

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #102
ajithv
BANNED

Likes (Received): 328

Priyadarshan assumed charge as Chairman of "Kerala Chalachithra Academy"

Source : Kerala Kaumudi

Source : Metro Vaartha

Source : Mathrubhumi
ajithv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #103
ajithv
BANNED

Quote:

Source : Metro Manorama
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #104
ajithv
BANNED

• Gyanvaani 105.6 MHz completes its one year of broadcasting in Thiruvananthapuram
Source : Malayala Manorama
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #105
ajithv
BANNED

It’s a challenging role for me: Priyadarshan

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The appointment of Priyadarshan as the new chairman of the Kerala State Chalachithra Academy had raised many eyebrows. And all had one question - ‘’Will he be able to find time? - against the backdrop of his big projects in Bollywood and long absence from Malayalam film industry. That was indeed the first question he faced when he sat down for a quick interaction with the media after assuming office at the Academy office here on Thursday.

His reply was simple and straight: ‘’When you do something you like, you will automatically find time. I have been in the industry for 30 years and have done 80 films. I don’t know how I did so many films in these three decades. Which means, I could find time for the job I love, which is film-making. Therefore I will find time for anything related to films and thus for the activities of the Academy as well. Whenever they (the Academy) need me, I will be here,’’ he said.

Priyadarshan admitted that the job is challenging. ‘‘When the announcement came, my initial thought was whether I would be able to handle such a big responsibility. I will carry forward the activities of the Academy to the best of my ability. My experience in Malayalam cinema and the film industry as a whole would come in handy. I am focused on how well I can contribute to Malayalam cinema. The people here are expecting something from me and so I am taking it as a challenge,’’ he said.

Chalachithra Academy secretary K S Sreekumar and deputy directors Beena Paul and Sajitha Madathil were among those who were present when Priyadarshan assumed office. When asked what would be his priority, he said: ‘’Let me first see how things are going on. I am ready to put in my full effort into knowing about the activities of the Academy. And I would be staying back till I get the correct picture of the whole thing,’’ he said.

He has just finished shooting his action Bollywood venture ‘Tez’, starring Ajay Devgan, Anil Kapoor, Kangana Ranaut and Sameera Reddy. The movie also has Mohanlal, in the role of a British police officer.

He is now shooting his Malayalam film ‘Arabiyum, Ottakavum, P Madhavan Nairum’, a satirical comedy set in Abu Dhabi. It is after seven years that he is directing a movie in Malayalam and has Mohanlal, Mukesh, Vidya Balan, Lakshmi Rai and Bhavana in the cast. That doesn’t mean that he would be focusing more on Malayalam cinema from now on. His next project will be with Aamir Khan.

Source
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #106
ajithv
BANNED

• State Television Awards distributed at a function held at Tagore Theatre,Thiruvananthapuram
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #107
ajithv
BANNED

Source : Metro Manorama

Source : Kerala Kaumudi

Quote:
Thiruvananthapuram: The first Indian 3D movie 'My Dear Kuttichathan', which released 27 years ago and was later dubbed in Hindi as 'Chhota Chetan', will soon hit the screen in its digitalised version with some new characters and situations to make it more enjoyable.

The film, whose new version will also star actor Prakash Raj and Bollywood beauty Urmila Matondkar, has been completed and would be released during Onam.

While the film retains its original story line, some new scenes characters and 25 minutes had been added to it as a special visual treat to the viewers, its producer Navodaya Appachan, said at a press meet here. Directed by Jijo, the movie will release across Kerala during Onam in September. The film would be rendered into other major Indian languages including Hindi.

Two characters in the digital version have been replaced by Prakash Raj and Urmila Matondkar.
Source
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:00 PM   #108
ajithv
BANNED

Old July 26th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #109
ajithv
BANNED

Source : City Kaumudi
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #110
shelly
from SPACE CITY

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithv View Post
  • Cine Actress Meera Jasmine will soon have a villa in Vattappara,Thiruvananthapuram
shelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #111
ajithv
BANNED

• Steps will be taken for the proposed Film Institute in Thiruvananthapuram in 4 months : Priyadarshan
  • The Film Institute will come up in KINFRA Park,Kazhakkoottam

Last edited by ajithv; July 30th, 2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #112
vinodtnt
Trivandrum Lobby

Likes (Received): 405

The fourth International Documentary and Short Film Festival of Kerala

Quote:
The 4th International Documentary and Short Film Festival of Kerala (IDSFFK) 2011 will be held in Trivandrum from July 31st to August 4th. The main attraction this year will be a package of films made by women media persons who are being screened in association with International Association of Women in Radio and Television (IAWRT). This five days fest comprises of women artists hailing from Afghanistan, Thailand, Iran, Jordan, Philippines and various other countries.

url
vinodtnt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #113
regiwilson

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:

• Steps will be taken for the proposed Film City in Thiruvananthapuram in 4 months : Priyadarshan
  • The Film City will come up in KINFRA Park,Kazhakkoottam
It is Film Institute not Film City.
regiwilson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #114
vinodnnhere
Vinod N N

Likes (Received): 7

Chalachithra Academy to set up film institute

Kerala's hopes of having a State-level film institute of its own would become a reality soon if filmmaker and State Chalachithra Academy chairman Priyadarshan has things his way.

“My single major aim is to set up a film institute. I don't think it will be useful on the creative side. So, to start with, it should be one that focuses on the technical aspects of cinema, because technology is changing everyday and there is scarcity of trained technicians in the industry,” Mr. Priyadarshan said in reply to questions at a news conference here on Friday.

Mr. Priyadarshan admitted that the idea of the institute was not his, but that of Minister for Cinema K.B. Ganesh Kumar and his aim was to translate it into reality within the shortest possible time. It should be possible to utilise the 2.5 acres of land that the Academy has in the KINFRA Film and Video Park at Kazhakuttam for the purpose. “We should be able to get things to move in another four months,” he said.

Mr. Priyadarshan said in reply to a specific question that he had the public-private participation model in mind and wished to team up with major TV channels to set up the film institute. The TV channels required trained hands and the proposed institute could be a training ground for them. The institute can give more exposure to the younger generation, he added.

He did not think it would be possible to bring the entire Malayalam industry under the umbrella of the Academy, but was certain that government support and encouragement were crucial for the growth of cinema. Bengali cinema had suffered for want of support whereas those in languages such as Kannada had prospered with State support. State support was also necessary to secure the lives of people in the film industry, he said.
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #115
shelly
from SPACE CITY

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:

• Steps will be taken for the proposed Film City in Thiruvananthapuram in 4 months : Priyadarshan
  • The Film City will come up in KINFRA Park,Kazhakkoottam
ajith,what happend?it is not about film city.he talked about film academy in kinfra film park.film city is a different project and is comming up in 80 acers of land in chithranjali
shelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:49 PM   #116
Kannan46

Likes (Received): 48

Has any one any inputs on the present status of the film institute in Chitranjali in THiruvallam
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Cheers!!!
Kannan46 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 03:20 AM   #117
abhilashtvpm

Likes (Received): 399

Manorama

Quote:
City to get festival complex: Minister

Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has promised to allocate land for a festival complex in the city, Minister in charge of the Cinema portfolio K.B. Ganesh Kumar said here on Sunday.

He was addressing a gathering after inaugurating the 4th International Documentary and Short Film Festival of Kerala (IDSFFK) here on Sunday.

The complex would aim at ‘making film festivals more colourful,' he said.

The Minister said he would hold talks with officials of the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting in New Delhi for the requisite funds. Members of Parliament from the southern districts had promised all help to set up the festival complex. “We are committed to it, but funds are a problem,” he said.

The Minister said that the Kerala State Chalachitra Academy should not aim at just organising film festivals. The academy should also be a centre for the study of good cinema. The Kerala State Film Development Corporation (KSFDC) will take care of screening and other requisite infrastructure. “It should be like two wings of a bird so that good cinema can fly. The State will emerge as a good destination for good cinema,” he said. Mr. Ganesh Kumar said that no new experiments were being done in Malayalam cinema now. “The youth feel that there is no creativity. We have good directors and technicians. But, the quality of cinema is lost once it reaches the movie halls,” he said.

The Minister said that technical courses would be introduced in association with Malayalam satellite channels to train technicians and other personnel. He released the festival newsletter by handing over a copy to KSFDC Managing Director Sanjeeb Patjoshi.

Eminent documentary maker and actor Suhasini Mulay, who was the chief guest, said it was heartening to note that the festival had evolved to this stage with good response from the audience in Kerala who were ‘selective.'

“Documentary films fetch you honour, but not money. That is why I act even now,” she added. Minister for Transport V.S. Sivakunar presided over the function. Mayor K. Chandrika released the festival handbook by handing over a copy to Ms. Mulay. Academy chairman S. Priyadarsan welcomed the gathering. Artistic director Beena Paul Venugopal and Academy secretary Sreekumar spoke. As many as 200 films will be screened.
Quote:
Fete to screen films from 25 countries

Conflicts and realities in the modern world are the focal themes of the 4th International Documentary and Short Film Festival of Kerala (IDSFFK) which commenced here on Sunday.

Around 200 films from 25 countries will be screened at the five-day festival, inaugurated by Minister in charge of the Cinema portfolio K.B. Ganesh Kumar.

Apart from competition films, the festival would have a host of films on diverse themes under various packages.

There would be 70 films in the competition section. These would be screened under the long documentary, short documentary, short fiction, animation, music video, and campus fiction categories.

A major highlight would be ‘Inbox 2011,' a package that would explore the internal conflicts of artists and the joys and tribulations involved in the creation of an art form. The package, to be screened in association with the Kochi Biennale Foundation, would have 12 films. Minister for Cultural Affairs K.C. Joseph will inaugurate the package at Kairali Theatre on Monday.

As many as 17 documentaries and short films by women directors would be screened in the ‘Films by Asian women directors' section. There would be films by women directors from Afghanistan, Thailand, the Philippines, Iran, Jordan, and India. The first screening under the section would be at Sree Theatre at 6 p.m. on Monday.

The international section would have two new films by Werner Herzog. Home videos of noted film makers would be screened under the ‘Running the family' package while ‘Framing science,' would include films on science and scientists.

Indian diaspora

‘Diaspora' would focus on ethnic and cultural dilemmas faced by the third generation of Indian migrants in the U. S. Actor-film maker Suhasini Mulay's films Beyond Genocide and Talking Peace would be showcased in the section ‘A fierce fighter.'

Drupad by Mani Kaul, and Ente Keralam and Arrival by Chinta Raveendran would be screened. The festival would also include 12 films from the Clermont Film Festival.

Discussions and Open Forums would be held. A Sarath Chandran memorial discussion would be held at Sree Theatre on Monday. Gargi Sen, Saameer Modi, Radhika Khanna, and Sunny Joseph would be the main speakers. Eminent scientist P.M. Bhargava would inaugurate a seminar on ‘Science in Indian television' on August 2.

Mathrubhumi

Film Mania Hits Trivandrum

Quote:
Trivandrum: With more than 200 films from 25 countries, the 4th International Documentary and Short Film Festival of Kerala (IDSFFK) gets underway, on Sunday,the 31st of July. Besides the films, a national seminar on 'Sciencein Indian Television' will also be held as part of the festival.

The festival, organised by the Kerala State Chalachitra Academy, will have 70 films competing. The films that would be screened during the five day event have been catogerised as: long documentary, short documentary, short fiction, animation, music video and campus fiction.

Other than the competition films, 17 films by women film makers, 12 films shown as part of Clermont short film festival in France, 11 films in homevideo category, 12 films on art and architectural projects and 2 homage films will also be screened.The event will be held at the two state owned theaters, 'Kairali' and 'Sree.'Over 1200 delegates have registered for the festival which concludes on August 4th.

Last edited by abhilashtvpm; August 1st, 2011 at 04:35 AM.
abhilashtvpm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:07 AM   #118
ajithv
BANNED

Film festival complex in city soon: Minister

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Minister K B Ganesh Kumar here on Sunday said that a film festival complex will soon be constructed in the city.

Inaugurating the Fourth International Documentary and Short Film Festival organised by Kerala Chalachithra Academy at Kairali Theatre here, he said that the role of Chalachithra Academy was not just limited to organising film festivals. It should be a centre meant to impart knowledge on films to the new generation. A coordinated effort on the part of Kerala State Film Development Corporation and State Chalachithra Academy was essential to promote quality films in the state, he said.

Apart from assistance from the State Government, financial assistance from the Central Government would be sought for setting up the film festival complex, he said. He said that the government was actively considering the suggestion to impart technical training in visual media to youngsters. The facilities available at Kerala State Film Development Corporation will be used for this, he said.

Mayor K Chandrika released the festival handbook by handing over a copy to actor and documentary director Suhasini Mulay, who was the chief guest. Kerala Chalachithra Academy president Priyadarshan, secretary Dr Sreekumar, KSFDC Managing Director Sanjeeev Patjoshi, IPS, and Academy Artistic Director Beena Paul Venugopal were among those present. Around 190 films will be screened in three different categories at the festival.

Source
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:08 AM   #119
ajithv
BANNED

‘Koh-in-noor’; the light from Bengal

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The glass doors of Kairali theatre were already flooded with film posters; small, big and loud ones in varying colour tones too. In front of the entrance door stood a man and woman, both short-statured, their eyes darting through the posters and their hands holding a rolled up glossy sheet. Few seconds tick on and their hunt succeeds. They find some space at the bottom of the door and they unroll their poster to reveal the picture of a lad with a vacant expression and beneath his picture the title reads ‘Koh-i-noor’.

‘’This is my first independent work. It is going to be screened today,’’ Saikat Mallick, the Kolkata-based director cum film-lecturer, does not conceal his joy while pasting all the four edges of the poster carefully. He is in the city for the Fourth International Short Film and Documentary Festival with his documentary film on an eight-year-old Bangladeshi lad named Raqeeb Ul Hassan, a projector-operator at a town called Chandpur, nearly 120 km away from Dhaka. His friend Ankita Ghosh, also hailing from Kolkata, is pleased after they had found some space for their work on the glass doors.

The director has spent almost half of his earnings as a teacher to fashion ‘Koh-i-noor’ which he has shot, edited, produced and directed all alone. He calls his film an ‘innocuous accident’. Saikat spotted Raqeeb during one of his visits to Chandpur in search of an ideal location for his feature film. He had written a script and he wanted some snaps of the location. When he got exhausted, he went to a theatre. The film was boring and he wanted a puff desperately and in the meantime he managed to sneak up into the projection room.

‘’There I saw a lad no bigger than the cans that carried the film rolls. He was the operator and he was loading a spool of film. I took some snaps and returned not even thinking about the possibility of a film.’’

Back in Kolkata, Saikat felt like showing the boy’s pictures to a lot of people. The comments he heard and the remarks they passed took him back to Raqeeb and this time with a Sony HD camera. He returned with a seven-hour-long, unedited tape which he wanted to turn into a documentary. ‘’But I had no money to rent a studio. It was then that Ankita offered help by lending her editing suite at her creative agency,’’ says Saikat.

The film begins with the still image of the boy and moves on juxtaposing stills and moving shots. As the 37-minute film rolls on to its end, some of the grave issues of child labour, exploitation and poverty are thrown up. ‘’I never wanted to make a film on child labour. In fact, this film was an accident, as I said. But as I started working on it, I felt a sense of purpose and meaning,’’ says the director.

He has even put the title meaningfully. ‘’’Koh-i-noor’ means ‘light from the mountain’. It has semblance to a projector that fires light on the screen inside a theatre,’’ he explains. Although he is almost drained out with his first work, Saikat smiles about monetary affairs. ‘’I teach films for money and I spend that money for my films,’’ says Saikat, a FTI graduate and a guest lecturer at the West Bengal State University.

Source
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:11 AM   #120
ajithv
BANNED

‘Sagara Kanyaka’ to have an international venue

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The city-based contemporary theatre group Abhinaya is all set to make its debut on the international stage with its Ibsen-inspired ‘Sagara Kanyaka’. The play will be presented at the World Theatre Festival 2012, in collaboration with the Brisbane Power House Arts, said D Raghoothaman, founder member, Abhinaya Theatre Research Centre, in a press meet held on Saturday. Also present were Andrew Ross, director, Brisbane Power House Arts and music composer Robert Davidson, who is doing the live music for the play in its revamped edition.

Andrew Ross, who travels to drama festivals across the world, in search of “Outstanding theatre productions”, was fascinated by the unconventional adaptation of Henry Ibsen’s play ‘Lady from the Sea’, at the Bharat Rang Mahotsav, the annual theatre festival organised by the National School of Drama, New Delhi. “It was totally unlike a conventional play and we plan to rework the music and change the recorded track to live music which will be composed by Robert. We are also looking at how the play can be developed further,” he said.

Robert Davidson, composer and faculty in music at the Queensland University of Technology, Australia, and director of the post-classic music ensemble Topology, has a learned Kerala’s ethnic art forms like Sopana Sangeetham and Kathakali Sangeetham during his intermittent stays here.

The composer said that he had a deep respect for Kerala’s musical genres and they are bound to have an influence on his compositions in a larger sense. But, he would adopt a universal style for the play as director Jyothish M G wants to avoid local references, he said.

“The music would be evocative of the sea and the focus would be on sounds rather than melody.

Music in this play would be more like the scenery,” he added.

Expressing his happiness at the play’s outing, director Jyothish added that he considered it a testimony to the possibility to create a theatre language that has an universal appeal. “Theatres in India are often constrained by shoestring budgets and cannot aspire to produce live music. Besides, there are the physical constraints which do not allow a band to be travelling around with the troupe. It was always my dream to have live music for my plays and I am very happy with the way discussions are progressing.”

He added that music was very important in ‘Sagara Kanyaka’ and it will be treated like a sub-text of the play.

A seven-member team will head to Australia for the rehearsals, which will begin in October. After the play is staged at the World Theatre Festival in Brisbane, it will tour the world and will probably be staged in Bangalore in May next year, said Ross. Raghoothaman said that he looked at the opportunity as a fulfillment of the vision the founders of Abhinaya had for the theatre group. He also expressed hope that if the production succeeds in generating interest in the international audience, it will open new avenues for theatres in India.

Source

Tags
developments, film, trivandrum