daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > High-Rise Developments

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2011, 12:36 AM   #41
valantino
The Greatest

Likes (Received): 2

Regent Park's highrises are going down floor by floor when implosion was possible. It's likely too expensive. Also, they have excavators that can reach up to seven or eight storeys up.

Sponsored Links

Old February 21st, 2011, 01:18 AM   #42
AndrewJM3D

Likes (Received): 487

What about these?
image hosted on flickr
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:23 AM   #43
Elnerico

Implode them!
Elnerico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #44
Travis007

Likes (Received): 54

http://twitter.com/urbanation

Quote:
Regarding 42 Charles / 39 Hayden condo site: Cresford is releasing info Apr 26 per @InsiderCondos - the suspense is killing us!
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #45
Travis007

Likes (Received): 54

Posted by Automation Gallery on UT:

Height has been reduced to 56 storeys.

Quote:
42 CHARLES ST E

OPA / Rezoning 11 194814 STE 27 OZ Ward 27
- Tor & E.York May 13, 2011 --- --- --- ---

Rezoning application for new residentil condo building 56 stories Plus mechanical penthouse - 570 residential units - 5 levels below grade parking - 215 parking spaces - 203 bicycle parking spaces.
Old May 14th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #46
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6462

Duly noted, and changed! Thanks for the heads up.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #47
Elkhanan1

Likes (Received): 33

Posted by Automation Gallery on UT.

Here you go, some good news, its now 62 storeys 202 meters,

42 CHARLES ST E

OPA / Rezoning 11 194814 STE 27 OZ Ward 27
- Tor & E.York May 13, 2011 Application Submitted May 13, 2011 Residential Apartments Henstock, Sarah
416-392-7196

Rezoning application for new residentil condo building permit a mixed use development with one 58-storey tower (186.7 metres) containing 570 residential condominium units on a 4-storey podium (15.65 metres). Two lobbies are proposed for access from Charles Street and Hayden Street. There are five levels of below grade parking with 215 vehicular parking spaces. Access is from a two way lane on the west side of the site running between Charles Street and Hayden Street. There are 203 bicycle parking spaces proposed. Amenity space is to be provided within the podium.

Posted by Mongo on UT.

202.35m = 664 feet

This would put it in 8th place among Toronto proposed & under construction projects, just edging out Ice West at 202m = 663 feet.
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #48
AndrewJM3D

Here is a picture of the line render from the site. This thing is thin!!!!

From blogTO

Going tall on Charles: Area residents had been hearing rumours for months, and knew it was only a matter of time before a condo development application for 42 Charles Street East would be filed with the city planning department. What they didn’t know for certain was how tall the condo tower proposed for the site — presently occupied by a a nine-storey YMCA building — would be. While real estate websites had been claiming that Cresford Developments was going to announce plans for a spectacular 64-storey skyscraper, some people who live in two recently-built Cresford condos on Charles Street told me they had heard it would be “only” 50 to 55 floors instead. But the May 13 development application put all speculation to rest. It proposes a 58-storey tower rising 186.7 metres atop a four-storey (16-metre) podium.The tower would have 570 condo units, two lobbies (one off Charles Street, the other off Hayden Street to the north), five levels of underground parking with spaces for 215 vehicles, and 230 bicycle parking spots. Building amenities would be provided in the podium and atop of the podium’s roof.

Cresford is the developer that recently built two other condo towers on Charles: the 46-storey Casa Condominium tower at 33 Charles Street East, and the 32-storey Bloor Street Neighbourhood (BSN) condo at 38 Charles Street East. When word got out that Cresford had purchased the YMCA property, condo tower fans and foes alike immediately started speculating that a “Casa 2″ was in the works. If approved by the city, Cresford’s latest condo won’t be the only new tower rising on the one-way street in the popular Bloor-Yorkville area. Demolition of an eight-storey office building at 45 Charles Street East is expected to commence next month, to make room for construction of the 39-storey Chaz on Charles condominium. But if Cresford gets the go-ahead, its tower will easily dwarf the 138-metre Casa, as well as the 163-metre, 51-storey Manulife Centre two blocks west. Looks like Charles Street is destined to become the “condo canyon” I wondered about in my March 1 2011 post after all.
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #49
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 1023

So CASA is getting a twin. Wish it were a bit more daring. It's just a taller replica.
Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #50
AndrewJM3D

I love Casa, so I'm happy it's getting a taller thinner twin.
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #51
Marcanadian

I do too, but I never like seeing doubles of the same building unless they are part of the same complex built in unison (Ice, Murano). Imagine another One Saint Thomas? Or another Ritz Carlton? Adding another nearly identical tower after the fact just seems lazy.
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #52
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 138

Hmm, I dunno...

I think this design is a bit of a stretch.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #53
AndrewJM3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
I do too, but I never like seeing doubles of the same building unless they are part of the same complex built in unison (Ice, Murano). Imagine another One Saint Thomas? Or another Ritz Carlton? Adding another nearly identical tower after the fact just seems lazy.
Well duplicates of more unique designs never work. Think X or Murano, or the TD Centre when looking at a Casa 2.
Old June 18th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #54
Marcanadian

Absolute works well I think, although they aren't exact duplicates. TD and X were not built in unison, they were built at separate times. The Murano towers were built at the same time, which I'm fine with, since those were planned as twins from the beginning. I just think it's a wasted opportunity when there's another spot for a new tower which could be something fresh, but they go with the status quo.
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #55
Taller, Better
Administrator

Loving the proportions, anyway....
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #56
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJM3D View Post
I love Casa, so I'm happy it's getting a taller thinner twin.
Moi aussi.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #57
AndrewJM3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
TD and X were not built in unison, they were built at separate times.

TD and X? What are you talking about? I meant sets of buildings with clean lines work well. X1 and X2, The TD Centre were just two seperate examples. Also there have always been rumours of a Casa 2, so this design was probably done around the same time as the first tower.
Old June 18th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #58
Taller, Better
Administrator

The twin towers I don't like are the ones of identical height. If one is considerably taller it could work out very nice.
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #59
Marcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJM3D View Post
TD and X? What are you talking about? I meant sets of buildings with clean lines work well. X1 and X2, The TD Centre were just two seperate examples. Also there have always been rumours of a Casa 2, so this design was probably done around the same time as the first tower.
I was talking about buildings that were built together as part of the same complex, planned from the start as twins. You mentioned TD and X, so I thought you were still talking about the same topic, not something different. I'm just merely saying that in many cases, developers will only build a second or third tower because the sales of the first were successful. And several times a nearly identical tower will be built. So, I just think that they could be more daring with the designs, instead of adjusting the height. Imagine if there was an application being submitted for a second Festival tower or another Burano merely because of the success of the first tower. There's limited space in the city and we need to capitalize on it by thinking outside the box. Casa is a great tower, but it doesn't need a twin. It's been done, let's move on.
Old June 19th, 2011, 05:34 AM   #60
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 180

This condo must be for the very rich even by Vancouver standards. It is going to cost a small fortune to buy the land and then tear down the YMCA.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote