daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1
HaRkY1

Likes (Received): 6

Madrid in January

As previously mentioned in my thread about Toledo, now a selection of my photos from Madrid.

Madrid has surprised me in a positive sense, when I was in Barcelona october last year, I knew much of what I wanted to see because it is just better known in the Netherlands. Before I went to Madrid, I knew actually very little of the city, I thought at first that it would be disappointing after I was already in Barcelona, but I think the cities are not comparable and Madrid has a completely different face than Barcelona. Enough of me senseless philosophy, time for pictures: blah blah:

1. The first day it was cloudy and rainy, so i didn't take too many photo's.

2. The second day i was at the Bernabeu stadium and surroundings, europe torre in this picture.

3. View from the bernabeu stadion.

4. view on the paseo de la castellana.

5. Puerta de Europa.

6. Realia tower.

7. Torres quattro in the back.

8. Arco de la victoria, that was a bit of a disappointment, as it was quite dirty and not to visit at all.

9. Faro de Moncloa, too bad it is closed already for 5 years.

11. Madrid has so many nice streets and buildings, loved that about the city.

12. fountain on plaza del emperador carlos v.

14. Metropolis building.

15. loved those mini buses!

16. Fuente de Cibeles.

18. pargue del retiro view on Monumento a Alfonso XIII.

22. Puerta del sol with xmas tree.

29. Palacio real en Catedral de la Almudena de Madrid view.

30. Around the Manzanares river they are working very hard to make it look nice, like these fountains over here.

32. Fuente de Cibeles.

I hope you like the photo's and comment's are always welcome

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Deanb

Likes (Received): 684

so all in all, did you like Madrid? how cold was it? too cold??
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #3
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244842

Awesome, very nice photos from Madrid, Harky
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #4
HaRkY1

@DeanB I loved Madrid!! and the weather was oke, not too cold and not too warm!
Old January 29th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #5
wapo5050

Likes (Received): 214

How many days did you spent in Madrid? because you have seen many parts of the city! did you visited the prado Museum or the Royal Palace and the cathedral?

Everybody knows Barcelona, but when they came to Madrid they really like the city. What city you would recomend to a tourist?
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #6
aster4000

Likes (Received): 11

I like the aura of the old Madrid but I thought that modern observation tower
is simply out of place in that area.
aster4000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Pavlemadrid
Madrileñian member

Likes (Received): 2540

The observation tower (20 years old, 110 meters high) is out of Madrid historical center.
Pavlemadrid está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:02 PM   #8
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

And that tower will be opened soon.

Do you have more pictures Harky?

The new museums, Reina SOfía, Thyssen, Caixafroum?

It seems you have visited many places not all the tourists know. Were you staying at some friend´s home maybe?

More pleaseeeeeeee
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:52 PM   #9
HaRkY1

@JAVICUENCA Ohh well i plan already to go back to Madrid as i haven't seen enough of the city yet so then that tower will be worth a visit too!! i have more pic's and those will come later i need to find some time for it! I stayed at a hostel in the city but i had 4 days over there so i walked around a lot!!
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:30 PM   #10
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3785

Wonderful! I plan to go to Madrid soon, but hesitate a bit because of the weather, but your photos show that it looks very good even in winter (and I think it is often sunny all year round). I have heard the evenings are very cold wintertime, is that true? Anyway I think it is better to go to Madrid now then in summer when it's too hot!

A bit sad the observation tower is closed, is there anywhere else to see the city from above?

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:13 AM   #11
rubemaradsl

Likes (Received): 0

If you want to go to Madrid, you can visit www.guiavisitmadrid.com
rubemaradsl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:28 AM   #12
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRkY1 View Post
@JAVICUENCA Ohh well i plan already to go back to Madrid as i haven't seen enough of the city yet so then that tower will be worth a visit too!! i have more pic's and those will come later i need to find some time for it! I stayed at a hostel in the city but i had 4 days over there so i walked around a lot!!
Wonderful pictures, Harky. It´s clear you´ve seen many places that not many tourist visit. What the thing you enjoyed more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Wonderful! I plan to go to Madrid soon, but hesitate a bit because of the weather, but your photos show that it looks very good even in winter (and I think it is often sunny all year round). I have heard the evenings are very cold wintertime, is that true? Anyway I think it is better to go to Madrid now then in summer when it's too hot!

A bit sad the observation tower is closed, is there anywhere else to see the city from above?
Summer is very hot, it´s true, specially July and August. If you come from Malmo in winter I´m sure you won´t have cold here Very often in winter there´s sunshine like this week too.

There´re many places to see the city. For me the best is Círculo de Bellas Artes at Calle ALcalá. But there´s also HOtel Midnight Rose, Hotel Oscar near Gran Vía and cafetería del Corte Inglés At Callao (that´s a normal cafeteria but the views are great).

Here you have the Círculo:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...621026&page=64

Enjoy it!
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)

Last edited by madridhere; February 3rd, 2011 at 12:33 AM.
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:50 AM   #13
Pavlemadrid
Madrileñian member

Quote:

Madrid is cold during the winter but if you live in Malmo you won't have problems, I think you shouldn't visit the city in the summer, it's too hot, the "madrileños" want to escape to the beach during july or august. The perfect time is the spring!
If you come here in some months Faro de Moncloa will be probably opened, but there are other observation towers, if you want I give you a list of places where you can see the city.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:00 AM   #14
Matthew222

Likes (Received): 2

Nice chemtrails over the sky
Matthew222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:12 PM   #15
JAVICUENCA

Quote:

The weather can be cold the worst days of the winter, but also can be mild if you´re lucky. For example this week we have around 12ºC and it´s sunny all day. People go for a walk during the day because it´s really nice.

Febrary can be still cold some days and March usually is quite good.
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:53 PM   #16
Pavlemadrid
Madrileñian member

Yes but 3 or 4 days ago we had around 3ºC and 4ºC (max. temperatures), and this morning, living a "hot" winter wave my car was iced and I had to remove the ice of the glass.
The best is to come here during April or May.
Old February 4th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #17
JAVICUENCA

Of course that can happen.

I´m simply saying that it depends on the week.

Not all the time we have 2ºC and not all the time we have 15ºC or 10ºC during the day like right now.

During the night can be cold but the days this week are simply wonderful for winter time.

For the majority of Europe the weather right now in Madrid is simply spring.

Somebody coming from Malmö or fromm Holand is not going to be afraid it it´s cold by night, believe me.

They don´t complain so much as we do for the bad weather.

Plus in Madrid some days can be cold but with complete sunshine and no clouds.

That´s also very nice to take pictures. The light can be even better than in summer.

But of course it depends on the luck you have like everybody knows.

Tomorrow for example we´ll have 12ºC and on Sunday 14ºC during the day, so it´ll be a great weekend. Last weekend was cold and rainy.

Last edited by JAVICUENCA; February 4th, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #18
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3785

Thanks for the replies about the weather and observation points.

In Malmö it is about 5C right now (but the winds are icy and it will probably be colder soon), so Madrid's about 15C would feel nice. It is of course nice with sun if taking pictures, but a mix of sun and clouds is the best, and I'm glad to hear that the light can be better wintertime.

A link to the other observation towers would be fine, if that is ok.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #19
Pavlemadrid
Madrileñian member

Well, this is a post in Spanish, if you want I can translate it into English:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...93&postcount=3