daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which feat of EXTREME ENGINEERING do you want built?
Tokyo's Sky City 59 15.53%
Bridge over the Bering Strait 28 7.37%
Transatlantic Tunnel 137 36.05%
City in a Pyramid 28 7.37%
Millennium Tower 32 8.42%
Gibraltar Bridge 73 19.21%
Freedom Ship 23 6.05%
Voters: 380. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 5th, 2004, 05:36 AM   #21
Lance
Most ignored user!

Likes (Received): 3

As long as they change the poxy name, then freedom ship. Im sure there is a reason why everything has to be "freedom" this and "freedom" that, but to be honest its getting on my bloody nerves. Id prefer a big space station the size of that to go holiday in. If they dont change the name the SkyCity. The tokyo millenium tower would be outdone by burj dubai once thats built anyway...so nothing special about that.
Lance no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2004, 05:55 PM   #22
james2390

Likes (Received): 33

I like the two bridges.
james2390 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 06:41 PM   #23
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 37

Transatlantic Tunnel
Old September 5th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #24
odegaard

Likes (Received): 1

what I find unusual about this list is vast differences in the projects as in the scale of complexity.

For example the transatlantic tunnel is by far the biggest project on that list. Many times larger then the 2 bridges combined so it's kinda weird that's it's all placed on the same list.
odegaard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #25
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Here are my thoughts on each one:

Tokyo's Sky City
From what I've seen and read about, it seems like a highly intelligent, plausible design. And very environmentally-friendly. I really hope something like this goes ahead one day. Unlike the buildings on my 'next generation of supertall skyscrapers' thread, this will be a truly awesome skyscraper that really does set a new standard for height - no spires or cheating with this one! This would be my 2nd choice on the list.

Bridge over the Bering Strait
It's great, but in terms of economic/commercial importance, it's secondary to the TransAtlantic tunnel.

Transatlantic Tunnel
The engineering and construction feats involved in this would be truly staggering, but the economic/financial benefits would be even more amazing. This is the project I'd vote for.

City in a Pyramid
Sounds amazing, and I'd say it's plausible, but not for several decades.

Millenium Tower
I wouldn't vote for this. It's nothing really 'new' in terms of the concept, and we already have Burj Dubai, plus all the other supertalls being planned. It's an exciting project but there are others on this list (eg. SkyCity) which are more interesting and innovative.

Gibraltar Bridge
I don't like it, it's so monstrously huge it almost looks scary.

Freedom Ship
I wouldn't vote for this, either. It looks a bit unnecessary, building large just for the sake of it.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 07:00 AM   #26
Estboy
E-Stonia

Likes (Received): 0

Gibraltar Bridge would be cool,but Transatlantic Tunnel would be just impossible for now
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:26 AM   #27
clive330

If the Channel Tunnel cant even make money then its pretty obvious that the Transatlantic Tunnel hasnt a prayer, now or ever. It will also be technologically obsolete with the eventual advent of hypersonic passenger aircraft.
clive330 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 04:41 AM   #28
Style™
King of the Queen

Likes (Received): 71

Gibraltar Bridge looks so massive that i can't help but want that thing done. its just sooo huge. though, i'd be so many lanes of traffic , right?
Style™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #29
Estboy
E-Stonia

Quick Facts:
Length: 9 miles, two spans of 4 1/2 miles each
Height: Each tower is 3,000 feet tall, twice as high as the world's tallest skyscraper.
Width: 5 traffic lanes, 2 breakdown lanes in each direction
Road Deck Material: Fiberglass
Length of Wire Cables: 1,000,000 miles (Enough to circle the Earth almost 30 times)
Closest bridge: Akashi bridge in Japan, world's longest suspension bridge at 12,828 feet.
Cost: $15 billion
Dangers: Wind speeds of 80 mph at tops of towers, ship collision, ocean currents, traffic, and Sahara Desert dust storms
Gibraltar Bridge
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:44 AM   #30
Chibcha2k
XPC Fagua chinanuca

Likes (Received): 464

gibraltar bridge
Taya juwaralain wane lapü jumaiwajatü
Vito Apüshana
Chibcha2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 04:24 AM   #31
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

do the towers really have to be THAT tall?
hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 04:28 AM   #32
Rapid
Skybar Posts: 24,564

Likes (Received): 4

Trans Atlantic Tunnel and the Bering Strait Bridge would make it possible to circle the globe in a car!
Rapid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 04:31 AM   #33
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

^but would you drive for days?
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:11 AM   #34
clive330

Who the hell will be driving across the Gibraltar bridge? Its not like Spain and Morocco are two giant nations, with mega cities clustered around the straits and doing tons of trade with eachother.

One ferry a day is probably all thats needed.

Grand projects can be fun, but entirely pointless and totally uneconomic projects (which each of these are) are a waste. But if some company is dumb enough to build it then I am ok with it - just dont want to see my tax dollars pissed away.
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:44 AM   #35
pawsum

Given the current climate between Muslim and non-Muslim nations, I simply cannot imagine a bridge being built between Spain and Morocco, now, or anywhere in my lifetime. It's hard enough to get a friggin flight from New York City to Riyadh!!!
Old September 8th, 2004, 06:09 AM   #36
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 7958

this is the city in a pyramid talked about in this thread:

TRY 2004

"The 2004 meters high Mega-City-Pyramid TRY 2004, is a partial answer to two important problems : with cities becoming more and more crowded and the environment suffering progressive damage, the time has come for the development of a megacity that functions in harmony with nature. So, the city proposed by the Shimizu Corp.'s engineers represents the ideal form of living for man in harmony with the earth.
The basic model, which brings together 204 units, has the following dimensions :
perimeter of the foundation above ground 2,800 meters area of the foundation 800 hectares infrastructure area appr. 2,500 ha gross building area appr. 8,800 ha facilities layer 1~4:residential, offices... 5~8:research, leisure... height of one layer 250.5m (x 8 = 2,004m)
In this huge tubular structure, one could find 100 storeys towers where almost 1,000,000m people could live and work. The distribution of the global 8 800 hectares of buildings would be the following one :
Some 5,000 hectares out of the gross buildings area will be devoted to residential purposes, with 240,000 (above photo above and third one below) units housing a total of 700,000 people. Each building will have his own energy resources (sun and wind). Some 2,400 hectares are assigned to offices and commercial facilities, in which 800,000 people will find gainful employement (first and second photos below) The remaining 1,400 hectares will be used for research and hotel/leisure purposes.
The basic construction of TRY 2004 is based on units each composed of a regular octahedron some 350 meters in perimeter, formed by combining two squares pyramids on top of each other at their bases. These units can be further combined both vertically and horizontally, in a way that permits expansion and enlargement, so as to allow the unrestricted construction of a three-dimensional space as large as its particular function requires.
The shafts composing each unit will make use of new lightweight materials, including carbon and glass fibers, that boasts superior strength and durability. The basic structure of the citywill be formed through the combination of horizontal and diagonal shafts in the highly rigid tube-to-tube manner of construction. The horizontal shaft, 10 meters in diameter and 350 meters long, will encompass electrical and communication networks as well as corridors and a distribution network, not to mention two different new transportation systems and observation windows. Meanwhile, the diagonal shafts, 16 meters in diameter and 350 meters long, will comprise plumbing and electrical networks, 2 elevators, and a distribution network. The nodes at which 2 shapes intersect will act as transportation foci. They will be covered with crystal glass globes 50 meters in diameter so as to concentrate sunlight that will then be transmitted throughout every corner of the city through optical fibers.
During the construction of all sections of each facility, robots willbe used in self-constructing automatic segment assembly and push-up methods. Automoization of the construction will be further facilitated by the use of uniform parts and materials.
The transport of people in the new city will be primarily conducted by 2 systems : a continuous circulatory transportation system, comprising elevators built into the diagonal shafts, for vertical transport; and a new kind of transportation system making use of linear induction that will be built inside the horizontal shafts. Access to buildings will be made through the nodes, and here one will find moving walkways, escalators and corridors, as well as elevators within each building. The distribution of goods within the city will make use of a continuous circulatory transport system for vertical conveyance, with automatic transfert loaders at each node to move goods onto container trucks or conveyor belts. This system will thus provide for the automatic distribution of goods to their respective destinations
Vertical transport system : Continuous Circulatory Transport (CCT) System number of lines 64 length of shaft min. 700m max. 2800m number of cabins 4~12 cabin capacity 50 persons maximum speed 36 km.h maximum accel./decel. 2.16 km.h.s frequency of service appr. once a minute transport capability appr.190,000 persons.h
Horizontal transport system : this system comprises small lightweight cabins propelled by linear-induction motor (LIM) devices placed at a regular intervals along the sidewalk.. number of lines 26 length of lines min. 1,400m max. 7,000m cabins per train 4~20 cabin capacity 75 persons maximum speed 40 km.h maximum accel./decel. 2.16 km.h frequency of service appr. once a minute transport capability appr.190,000 persons.h
As regards security, a "Wind-through" construction will be adoptedto reduce win-load, and vibration control and anti-earthquake devices will be installed at all points supporting the buildings within each unit to help reduce the vibration and malformation of the buildings, suspended in air, that are devoted to living purposes.
As regards energy, a waste water treatment will enable water recycling through bioreactors, and electricity will be derived from natural sources such as wind generators or solar batteries, augmented by electricity generated from garbage incinerationWaste water and solids will thus be kept to the very minimum in order to preserve the surrounding environment.

The construction of TRY 2004 would spent 7 years and its cost is estimated at nearly 88 trillions yens. This text was taken from the brochure published by SHIMIZU Corporation"

TRY 2004

AcesHigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:11 AM   #37
clive330

It would be fun to have that pyramid thing - but - cities are actually NOT overcrowded. Crowded yes, over-crowded, no. Current construction techniques are adequate in all environments here today and with all population growth scenarios that I have ever seen.

There is tons of land available and it is always cheaper to add transport infrastructure than build these kinds of sky cities.
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #38
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

1. A superstar destroyer
2. Aeropolis
3. Try2004
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:21 PM   #39
Brasil Guy

Likes (Received): 5

all of them are really expensive, but the one I like best and that I think it´ll be the most usefull of all is the Gibraltar Bridge
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #40
Nick
Gosford/Sydney.

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid
Trans Atlantic Tunnel and the Bering Strait Bridge would make it possible to circle the globe in a car!
A bridge over the bearing straight would stimulate and promote sub artic growth.Nice