daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which feat of EXTREME ENGINEERING do you want built?
Tokyo's Sky City 59 15.53%
Bridge over the Bering Strait 28 7.37%
Transatlantic Tunnel 137 36.05%
City in a Pyramid 28 7.37%
Millennium Tower 32 8.42%
Gibraltar Bridge 73 19.21%
Freedom Ship 23 6.05%
Voters: 380. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 5th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #81
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 662

All the projects in here are incredible

The Gibralter Bridge would be of huge economic benifit to both Europe and Africa, although Africa would probably benifit more. I would love to see a bridge like that being built!! It looks incredible!

The transatlantic tunnel would also be incredible, but as someone pointed out earlier, supersonic scramjet powered flight is only 30 years away, and will get you from New York to London in 40 minutes. Scramjet airtravel is the way forward, not an obscenely long(but incredibly impressive) tunnel.

The Skycities will be built in the near future, there is no question about that, but the project that caught my eye the most was the TRY 2004 construct. Incredible. Does anyone else think it looks slightly like the "Tyrell Corporation" head quarters in the classic Sci-fi film Blade runner? That was the first thing that crossed my mind, but i think the colours used in the renderings set out to mimic that sort of idea.

Wjfox I have been following the progress (or lack of) of the space elevator for a while now - i genuinely see this as the most viable way of transportting heavy goods into space cheaply for the next 100 or so years at least. It just makes so much sense, and so it angers me when people laugh the idea off as being ludicrous. It would single handedly enable us to become a far more proficient space fairing race, something that is very important to the continued development of human life as we know it, I.M.O.

All the projects are great though, apart from the Bering Strait - Its slap bang in the middle of no where.
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #82
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

One of the biggest problems with the space elevator - aside from the initial cost - is the vulnerability to a terrorist attack. Can you imagine if a structure this tall was attacked, and fell to Earth?? It would be catastrophic. The upper sections would probably burn up in the atmosphere, but miles and miles of the lower parts would crash down into cities all around the world.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #83
Alexander_Smed

Likes (Received): 0

I havn´t really read every line in this "discussion", but are there any sketches of the transatlantic tunnel that´ve thought about a BIG problem, perhaps: America moves between 4 to 8 centimetres a year, if I´m right, from Europe, because of the vulcanic actiivity on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. OK, I don´t really know much about this project. It might isn´t really supposed to be fixed to the atlantic bottom? As I said, I don´t really know, but I think there´d be quite a lot of problems with the construction of this "tunnel".

If the project´s serious, the enginers´ve probably thought about it, so this is maybe just a good example of curiosity
Alexander_Smed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #84
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 662

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
One of the biggest problems with the space elevator - aside from the initial cost - is the vulnerability to a terrorist attack. Can you imagine if a structure this tall was attacked, and fell to Earth?? It would be catastrophic. The upper sections would probably burn up in the atmosphere, but miles and miles of the lower parts would crash down into cities all around the world.
God it would be horrific to day the least. But that got me thinking. This structure would be unbelievably strong. In fact it would probably be the strongest man-made structure in existance if built. Terrorists would have to use something very big to damage a construct of that size.

Depending on where it would be hit, I dont even think an aeroplane could take down something of such awesome magnitude and strength. But who knows....

Anyway, thats truely a worst case scenario - I am still all for this idea being given more resources to be developed.
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #85
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I don't think there is much need for the Gibraltar Bridge. I think it's the most realistic in the short-term, but it would give way to even more illegal immigration into Western Europe.

The Trans-Atlantic tunnel sounds pretty unrealistic. It'd be crazy expensive. Even if you started in Newfoundland.

The Bering Strait bridge sounds more feasible. Why not tunnel it? But either way, who would be driving on it? Siberia is pretty desolate, and so is most of Alaska. Plus, transporting things by ship isn't that expensive!

Sky City sounds pretty cool, and in the future, I think we might need it.

The Pyramid idea sounds pretty similar to Sky City, except with robots.

The Millenium Tower is also similar to Sky City, but I think a pyramid shape is more functional, a tower jutting up just doesn't look that nice either.

Freedom Ship sounds crazy. No wonder it was never built, and especially now with the HK handover going smoothly, I don't think it's necessary anymore. Plus, who would pay for all that?

I think one Extreme Engineering I also saw a concept of a global road which is similar to the Bering Strait Bridge, except that it connected Africa to Europe (via Gibraltar I think) to Asia to North America (via Bering Strait) to South America, and North America to Europe (via Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland, and the UK).
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #86
[email protected]

The toykosky city is a great challenger to modern asia building build in the middle of the sea which provide a environmental space for people to live and enjoy as no bus or car where use for this buildings with escaltor and train use in this buildings.
Tan@Build no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #87
bnmaddict

Likes (Received): 21

Why are you always talking about the risk of Terrorist attacks for each projects? There's always been terrorist attack and it's never prevented anyone to build anything...

I think the Gibraltar bridge would be awesome, but is the straight so deep that they have to build a suspended bridge, can't they build a much more economic bridge as a cable stayed multi-span bridge (as a Giga-"millau viaduc" or a giga-"Rio-Antirion" bridge) rather than a suspended with 2 big spans...
bnmaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #88
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2264

Transatlantic tunnel in my opinion, a great idea which would be stunning to see built.
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #89
BHK25
Used to be BHK24!!

Likes (Received): 46

Sky City
Millenium Tower
Transatlantic Tunnel

The Tunnel.. I don't see it happening in 100 years. It'll be awesome though.
BHK25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #90
Obelixx

Likes (Received): 82

I would built this!

http://discuss.foresight.org/~josh/t...struction.html

Concerning the suggested other mega projects: why not to build a tunnel through the Strait of Gibraltar? This would be perhaps much easier!

An other idea would be a dam across it, which would allow gaining a lot of land in the Mediterrenean area and a lot of electric power!

Concerning the Bering strait would a dam or a tunnel perhaps also more suitable!

A transatlantic tunnel would make only sense when a magnetic suspension railway in an evacuated tunnel would pass. Such a railway would me much faster than a supersonic plane, because there are no resistive forces on the train.
However maintenance and power supply would be very difficult and require auxilliary tunnels!

MegaSkyscrapers? I think people do not wnt to live and work in them, especially after the attack on WTC on September 11th, 2001.

Last edited by Obelixx; April 29th, 2005 at 01:34 AM.
Obelixx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:07 AM   #91
rocky

Likes (Received): 5

i voted transatlantic tunnel , but i dont think it will ever happen.

imagine an earthquacke.as already said the americas are moving away from europe a few CM a year. so the tunnel would have some problems.
the pressure under the ocean would be insane, so constructing a tunnel when 5000meters deep is crazy.rescuing a train in case of problems? impossible.

-> I read somewhere about some sort of boats who use magnetics or some other thing to fly just above the water. that could be a solution

or a semi floating structure.

for the space lift, its impossible because of the flying objects in space wich would destroy the structure, hitting it at 20000+ km/h
rocky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #92
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

The Millenium Tower in Hong Kong because it is most likely to be acheived. The Burj Dubal is 189 floors and under construction, and this Millenium Tower is 170 stories. Besides, Hong Kong has the demand and money to build such a tall tower.

And who the hell in their right mind would want to drive from the no-mans land of Northwest Alaska to the barren land of Siberia, Russia? Who ever proposed this idea should take a basic class in business.

Freedom Tower, Freedom Fries, and now Freedom Ship. What's Next?
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #93
Mock

Worldwide HSR

None of the above...

A WORLDWIDE HIGHSPEED RAILWAY FACILITATED BY THE BERING STRAIT BRIDGE, TRANSATLANTIC LINK, AND THE GIBRALTER BRIDGE!

(here's how I envision the general layout of the thing)(some of the lines are inaccurately drawn, I'm mostly unsure of Africa, and the Western US line would be much more likely to go through the central plains east of the rockies)

Just imagine getting on a high speed train and speeding around the Earth, exhilerating I tell you!*
This rail would connect the world at a personal level with the co-operation of many, many governments in a way airplanes do not, and would be an amazing accomplisment for mankind.
This new rail will spur development in nearly ALL areas of the world, including the resource-rich uninhabited (relatively) areas of Eastern Russia, Alaska, and Northwest Canada. New Development would also take place in North Africa, and the 'Stans area East of the Caspian Sea. This new development will do wonders to combat future overcrowding. The rail would connect nearly every major city on the planet, including Edmonton.
The reason I say Edmonton (and mean it) is that the terrain on the West Coast North America is not really suited for an HSR of this magnitude (it's gotta be bloody fast!), those coastline cities can be serviced by a seperate HSR line branching out from some city East of the Rockies.

The current design of the Bering Strait Bridge already incorporates a HSR. I voted for it at first before I realized that the Gibralter and Transatlantic could be used as well. I do think the translatlantic link will never happen, it just seems too unrealistic. The Worldwide HSR can survive without it though, with the Express Route across Russia.
I don't think there's much more to say about it, it really speaks for itself.

*: If you couldn't tell, I absolutely ADORE trains, so maybe I am biased.

All the other "mega-city/structure" type ideas are nice, because they eliminate urban sprawl, but I would never live in one. I prefer the layout of traditional cities.
As for the Space Elevator, it would only be a good idea if we managed to colonize other planets, since trade between planets would be big business.
To construct it? Eek, maybe in a few centuries!

Last edited by Mock; May 5th, 2005 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Clarifying
Mock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #94
drmadham

Likes (Received): 1

worldwide rail system? hmmm....

I LIKE IT!

One of the hubs has to be dallas though just 'cause...
drmadham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:03 AM   #95
Obelixx

Likes (Received): 82

@Mock: why do you forget a branch to Australia in your worldwide railway system?
Obelixx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #96
Hviid
Positivist

Likes (Received): 79

i like the millenium tower and the freedom ship .. but i think i'd rather want the millenium tower built ... theres only 1 problem i see with it .... What if there was a fire on the very top floor? .. It would also be a perfect target for terrorist attacks .. but still .. i love the look of it
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #97
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5612

Mock, I love your project.
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #98
fcarvall

Likes (Received): 6

We neeed a gibraltar bridge in New york!
fcarvall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #99
Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelixx
@Mock: why do you forget a branch to Australia in your worldwide railway system?
That kind of thing would be an expansion later on. If you want to draw up the plans for a few dozen bridges to Australia, be my guest.
Mock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #100
ralex231

Likes (Received): 1

All of them a neat
ralex231 no está en línea   Reply With Quote