daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

VALENCIA, España

In July 2010, as part of a family holiday to Alfaz del Pi, north of Alicante and just north of Benidorm, I ventured north by bus to Valencia - the regional capital of the autonomous community of Valencia. It is also the 3rd largest city in Spain after Madrid and Barcelona.

The city is a must-visit place if in the area. It reminded me a lot of Barcelona, not only in atmosphere, but architecturally and in city layout. There are plenty of wide busy avenues resonating traffic as well as enough narrow streets to get lost in. Of course, the region sports the Valencian language with resembles Catalonian quite a lot and can be seen all over the city on building engravings, plaques and more obviously, street signs. It is integrated into an industrial area on the Costa del Azahar. Its main festival, the Falles, is known worldwide, while the traditional dish, paella, originated around Valencia. The city contains a dense monumental heritage, including the Llotja de la Seda (World Heritage Site since 1996), but its landmark is undoubtedly the City of Arts and Sciences, an avant-garde and futuristic museum complex.

Region: Valencian Community
Mayor: Rita Barberá
Elevation: 15m (49 ft)
Population
- City: 809,267
- Metro: 1,705,742 to 2,300,000

For more information, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valencia,_Spain

Many photos will follow. Hope you enjoy!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART I
Parque Parterre to Plaza del Ayuntamiento

My walk began from Parque Parterre, a quiet square in the city centre, adjacent to the Jardines de la Glorieta. I walked down a sidestreet to join the Calle de Cristobal Colón. This major avenue runs southwestwards, later to go past the Plaza de Toros and Estacio del Norte, Valencia's central train terminal. Opposite the train terminal, I followed Avenida del Marqués de Sotelo northwards into Plaza del Ayuntamiento (Plaça de Ajuntament). This is the main square outside the city hall, a busy one way system running around its perimeter.

Old January 31st, 2011, 08:20 PM   #3
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Very nice! Looking forward to more.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:39 PM   #4
geoff189d

Likes (Received): 37

Why (until recent years) Valencia was not on the tourist trail always puzzled me. It is certainly a magnificent looking city. Looking forward to more photos.
geoff189d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:06 PM   #5
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Valencia is lovely. Now people from Madrid can get there in 90 minutes with the high speed train. Both cities are very complementary.

It´s an interesting city for business and leisure.

The City of Arts is incredible too.

Very nice pictures man.

Please if you can send more.
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM   #6
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244742

Awesome, very nice photos from Valencia, Mike... well done i also looking forward for the rest of photos
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
Very nice! Looking forward to more.
Thanks mate, more coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff189d View Post
Why (until recent years) Valencia was not on the tourist trail always puzzled me. It is certainly a magnificent looking city. Looking forward to more photos.
I agree. Valencia is a very interesting city - very diverse, lively and pleasant to walk around in. Plus it has a fascinating history and some unique sites to see such as what JAVICUENCA mentions below - the City of Arts - which I will be showing later. I take it you have been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVICUENCA View Post
Valencia is lovely. Now people from Madrid can get there in 90 minutes with the high speed train. Both cities are very complementary.

It´s an interesting city for business and leisure.

The City of Arts is incredible too.

Very nice pictures man.

Please if you can send more.
Hi! Yes I agree. That's worth knowing. My third year of university will be spent working abroad, and as I'm studying Spanish, in Spain. If I work in Madrid then I would love to come back to Valencia, perhaps at a different time of year to compare. Or, I would seriously consider working in Valencia as I loved the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Awesome, very nice photos from Valencia, Mike... well done i also looking forward for the rest of photos
Thanks mate! More photos coming up.
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART II
Plaza del Ayuntamiento to Plaza de la Reina

Not much more can be said for this part. Other than, the walk between the two squares was very pleasant through the shaded streets with narrow shopping arcades and randomly plotted old churches. Plaza de la Reina sports the Cathedral, which can be seen with the circular wide tower across the square. At this point I had lunch at the cafe shown towards the end, entertained by the busker.

Old February 1st, 2011, 09:51 PM   #9
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post

My third year of university will be spent working abroad, and as I'm studying Spanish, in Spain. If I work in Madrid then I would love to come back to Valencia, perhaps at a different time of year to compare. Or, I would seriously consider working in Valencia as I loved the city.

Thanks mate! More photos coming up.
Both cities Madrid and Valencia are great to spend a year working and learn Spanish. If you´re in Madrid you can jump easily to Barcelona, Seville, Segovia, Toledo, Valencia, Burgos, Bilbao...you know, it´s in the middle of Spain. And if you´re in Valencia you can jump to Barcelona, Mallorca, Cuenca or even Andalucia...Valencia has a lovely weather. I was there in October and spent the day in the beach. I didn´t have a bath but it was very pleasant anyway.

Did you try the bycicles? You can rent them anywhere and the city is so easy to see by bycicle...

By the way I tried the new high speed train from Madrid in January and it was wonderful to go to the beach and back in the day...

The light in your pictures is wonderful, MIke, but that´s so easy in Valencia...
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)

Last edited by madridhere; February 1st, 2011 at 10:05 PM.
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:42 AM   #10
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by madridhere View Post
Both cities Madrid and Valencia are great to spend a year working and learn Spanish. If you´re in Madrid you can jump easily to Barcelona, Seville, Segovia, Toledo, Valencia, Burgos, Bilbao...you know, it´s in the middle of Spain. And if you´re in Valencia you can jump to Barcelona, Mallorca, Cuenca or even Andalucia...Valencia has a lovely weather. I was there in October and spent the day in the beach. I didn´t have a bath but it was very pleasant anyway.

Did you try the bycicles? You can rent them anywhere and the city is so easy to see by bycicle...

By the way I tried the new high speed train from Madrid in January and it was wonderful to go to the beach and back in the day...

The light in your pictures is wonderful, MIke, but that´s so easy in Valencia...
That's what I'm looking forward to! I didn't try the bicycles, no. Though that is one of the best ways to see a city. You went to the beach in January? Wouldn't it be a bit chilly, even in Spain? Yes, the light was hard to get right because it was almost too bright giving a lot of contrast between light and shadow. Excellent quality of light though - very similar to that which I had in Madrid.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:02 AM   #11
ashton
is back in the Maldives

Likes (Received): 205

^ great photos!
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:15 PM   #12
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

More great pictures. Thanks man!It seems you´re walking in the streets of Valencia...
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:35 PM   #13
balthazar
User

Likes (Received): 6220

I like Valencia!
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:46 PM   #14
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 479

Fantastic photos, as usual, from Bristol Mike. Have yet to go there but now it's a must.
Let's hope it doesn't become a tourist mecca like Barcelona, that would probably spoil it.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:03 PM   #15
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7534

Such an imposing, sunny place. Fantastic Mike!
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:02 PM   #16
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashton View Post
^ great photos!
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVICUENCA View Post
More great pictures. Thanks man!It seems you´re walking in the streets of Valencia...
Thanks. Yes, we were by foot on this occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar View Post
I like Valencia!
It certainly is a great city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
Fantastic photos, as usual, from Bristol Mike. Have yet to go there but now it's a must.
Let's hope it doesn't become a tourist mecca like Barcelona, that would probably spoil it.
I don't think it will become like Barcelona in too much of a hurry as, as has already been said, it's slightly off the beaten track caught between two different touristy areas in Spain. Fortunately though, I think the tourist influence is more spread across its sheer size. Although Valencia's size is noticeable, tourism is pretty much to a premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Such an imposing, sunny place. Fantastic Mike!
I agree. Glad you like the pictures.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:10 PM   #17
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART III
Plaza de la Reina to Los Torres Quart

Leaving Plaza de la Reina, one goes through a series of narrow streets once more before being faced by two quite notable landmarks of the city - these are the Medieval Corn Exchange (La Lonja) and the Central Market.

The Medieval Corn Exchange is prehaps the finest Gothic style architectural monument, its interior showing 24 columns and built in 1843 for Venetian merchants as the silk exchange. It also became the headquarters for the Maritime Consulate which has a gold leaf, hand carved ceiling. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures.

The Central Market is situated opposite the Medieval Corn Exchange. This was built slightly later in 1928. The variety of food is fantastic, with an array of fruit, vegetables, fish, herbs and spices. Apart from being quite striking on both the inside and out, it is one of the largest markets in Europe.

Behind this, a construction development masked another series of quiet sidestreets leading to Los Torres Quart, a gateway that was once part of the historic city wall.

Last edited by Bristol Mike; February 4th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:26 PM   #18
Deanb

Likes (Received): 684

really nice photos.. a very spanish city indeed
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:46 PM   #19
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3765

Wonderful city! and photos! Do you have photos of City of sciences as well?
I want to go to Madrid and/or Valencia soon (I have been to Barcelona). I think Valencia has a lot of sun even in the winter.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:53 PM   #20
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 34034

beautiful and lovely despite the eclectic architecture.
I've never seen as many pictures as these of Valecia and it charms me.
capricorn2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
spain in the world, valencia