daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM   #61
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCidMinD81 View Post
No more pics?
Just the post I wanted to bump this thread over to the next page.
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:51 PM   #62
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART VIII
Ciutat de les Arts i les Ciències

In this concluding part of my photo thread of Valencia, we explore the Ciutat de les Arts i les Ciències (Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias), (City of Arts and Sciencies).

It is an entertainment-based cultural and architectural complex and proves to be the most important modern tourist destination in the city of Valencia. The City of the Arts and the Sciences is situated at the end of the old riverbed Turia. Turia became a garden in 1980, after the bypass of the river by the great flood of Valencia in 1957. Designed by Santiago Calatrava and Félix Candela, the project underwent the first stages of construction in July, 1996 and the finished "city" was inaugurated April 16, 1998 with the opening of L'Hemisfèric. The last great component of the City of the Arts and the Sciences, El Palau de les Arts Reina Sofía, was presented on October 9, 2005, Valencian Community Day.

The complex is made up of the following buildings, in order of their inauguration:

1) L'Hemisfèric — an Imax Cinema, Planetarium and Laserium. Built in the shape of the eye and has an approximate surface of 13,000 m².
2) El Museu de les Ciències Príncipe Felipe — an interactive museum of science but resembling the skeleton of a whale. It occupies around 40,000 m² on three flats.
3) L'Umbracle — a landscaped walk with plant species indigenous to Valencia (such as rockrose, lentisca, romero, lavender, honeysuckle, bougainvillea, palm tree). It harbors in its interior The Walk of the Sculptures, an outdoor art gallery with sculptures from contemporary artists. (Miquel from Navarre, Francesc Abbot, Yoko Ono and others).
4) L'Oceanogràfic — an open-air oceanographic park. It is the largest oceanographic aquarium in Europe with 110,000 square meters and 42 million liters of water. It was built in the shape of a water lily and is the work of architect Félix Candela.
5) El Palau de les Arts Reina Sofía — an opera house and performing arts center. It contains four large rooms: a Main Room, Magisterial Classroom, Amphitheater and Theater of Camera. It is dedicated to music and the scenic arts.
6) El Puente de l'Assut de l'Or — a bridge that connects the south side with Minorca Street, whose 125 meters high pillar is the highest point in the city.
7) L'Àgora — a covered plaza in which concerts and sporting events (such as the Valencia Open 500) are held.
8) The Valencia Towers — forming part of a project of the construction of three skyscrapers of 308, 266 and 220 m. The project has been put on hold and the possibilities that it will be finished are seen by many as doubtful.

See here for more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciutat_..._Ci%C3%A8ncies

Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:33 PM   #63
anacleta

Likes (Received): 14

great pics!!! love them!
anacleta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:57 PM   #64
geoff189d

Likes (Received): 37

I bet the Valencians are justifiably proud of this development. Great tour of the city Mike - thanks.
geoff189d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:05 PM   #65
Deanb

Likes (Received): 684

34C?? thats boilingg
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #66
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 33950

lovely!
the city of arts and sciences is indeed a great work of modern art.
you must have enjoyed your visit in that city.

Vancouver&Burbs TravelPhotosUpdate
capricorn2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #67
DarkLite
vital

Likes (Received): 15994

Wow, these photos are great. I can even feel the Valencia heat and bustle by just looking at them
DarkLite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #68
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacleta View Post
great pics!!! love them!
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff189d View Post
I bet the Valencians are justifiably proud of this development. Great tour of the city Mike - thanks.
I just think so too, it's a construction to be very proud of! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanb View Post
34C?? thats boilingg
I'm surprised you find that boiling living where you do. It felt nice actually, not too hot at all, though there was a breeze at times too. Personally I find anything up until 38-40C bearable, after that it gets a bit too hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn2000 View Post
lovely!
the city of arts and sciences is indeed a great work of modern art.
you must have enjoyed your visit in that city.

Vancouver&Burbs TravelPhotosUpdate
It's fantastic isn't it. When I showed a friend of mine a picture of it they asked 'when did you go to Sydney?' haha. I loved Valencia and would happily go back there some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post
Wow, these photos are great. I can even feel the Valencia heat and bustle by just looking at them
Thanks mate, one more batch to come.
Old February 25th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #69
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

And now for the final lot of pictures from la Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias:

Thank you all for viewing and supporting this thread. I hope you enjoyed it and I look forward to more comments on pictures, or general comments and questions.
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #70
Deanb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post

I'm surprised you find that boiling living where you do. It felt nice actually, not too hot at all, though there was a breeze at times too. Personally I find anything up until 38-40C bearable, after that it gets a bit too hot.
don't confuse tel aviv with dubai

we get temps above 33C ONLY two or three times a year in the city so yeah, 34C is pretty hot
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #71
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
don't confuse tel aviv with dubai

we get temps above 33C ONLY two or three times a year in the city so yeah, 34C is pretty hot
Oh I couldn't possibly lol. Dubai is ridiculously hot, 34C is probably normal overnight! I forget that Tel Aviv is on the coast facing a prevailing wind of sorts so that helps keep it pleasantly hot rather than unpleasantly hot. Having done a little wikipedia looking, apparently Tel Aviv's temperature record is 46.5C in May of all months! I'm sure that's not too uncommon in Valencia in hotter summers.
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #72
Deanb

Quote:
Oh I couldn't possibly lol. Dubai is ridiculously hot, 34C is probably normal overnight! I forget that Tel Aviv is on the coast facing a prevailing wind of sorts so that helps keep it pleasantly hot rather than unpleasantly hot. Having done a little wikipedia looking, apparently Tel Aviv's temperature record is 46.5C in May of all months! I'm sure that's not too uncommon in Valencia in hotter summers.
yep and that's coz april & may usually bring some heatwaves which make the temperatures soar higher than they would in the summer months... but again, 46C is EXTREMELY RARE... the Tel Aviv weather is a lot like LA's or Naples'...

great sets!! how about coming over once?
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #73
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4163

For me, one of the world's most modern and beautiful cities.

And I love Calatrava.
Cauê no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #74
dmarney

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Thank you! Am I right in thinking that's the festival where they ignite all the torches on the last night?
Yep, that's the one I think everyone should experience it at least once, with the parties and fireworks included of course!
dmarney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #75
manba
B/quilla urbe del caribe

Likes (Received): 69

I had the opportunity to visit "la ciudad de las artes y las ciencias" and is awesome, the design is great and the surroundings are fantastic. I can say it is a great architectural work.
Old February 25th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #76
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
yep and that's coz april & may usually bring some heatwaves which make the temperatures soar higher than they would in the summer months... but again, 46C is EXTREMELY RARE... the Tel Aviv weather is a lot like LA's or Naples'...

great sets!! how about coming over once?
That's very interesting. That's like saying the UK experiences its highest temperatures in spring rather than summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauê View Post
For me, one of the world's most modern and beautiful cities.

And I love Calatrava.
It's gorgeous. I like it's contrast between old and originality to modern and striking. The centre compared to the City of Arts is the prime example!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarney View Post
Yep, that's the one I think everyone should experience it at least once, with the parties and fireworks included of course!
There are lots of festivals in Spain I would like to witness. This is now one of them. I think the most outlandish one I saw was the Tomatina of Bunol - utter tomato carnage haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manba View Post
I had the opportunity to visit "la ciudad de las artes y las ciencias" and is awesome, the design is great and the surroundings are fantastic. I can say it is a great architectural work.
I agree entirely. I would like to go back and perhaps explore the inside of the complex, having not had enough time on this particular occasion.
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #77
anacleta

Likes (Received): 14

the last serie is also great!!
anacleta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #78
Nori89

Likes (Received): 0

Bristol Mike, really nice photos
Nori89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:54 PM   #79