daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Closed Thread

Old February 25th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #21
sefton66

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Rider Levett Bucknall to make major announcement at MIPIM
Last updated: Fri 25th February, 2011 | Time: 08:21am
Property and construction giant Rider Levett Bucknall is set to announce a major project win and the opening of its new offices in India at Birmingham’s stand at MIPIM next month.

Rider Levett Bucknall, which has an office in Birmingham, also has offices located throughout the world.

Mike Whitby, leader of Birmingham City Council, and Lance Taylor, chief executive of Rider Levett Bucknall, will reveal the details on 9 March at the week-long event.

Team Birmingham comprises city council representatives, Marketing Birmingham, Business Birmingham and 19 private sector representatives.

MIPIM runs from 7 – 11 March.
http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/...pim/index.html

Anyone got any idea what it could be?
sefton66 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old February 25th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #22
nigeman

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/...pim/index.html

Anyone got any idea what it could be?

Confused with this, yes it may be a big announcement, but any reason it should be related to Birmingham and therefore be big news at MIPIM?
nigeman no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #23
nigeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post

Confused with this, yes it may be a big announcement, but any reason it should be related to Birmingham and therefore be big news at MIPIM?
I suppose if our great leader is making an announcement it must be related to Birmingham, I'm just not holding my breath. MIPIM announcements tend to be the death knell for anything of note ie: V and Regal, so lets brace ourselves in case we have another false dawn.
nigeman no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #24
Soul_13
Advocatus Diaboli

Likes (Received): 137

"the great leader"
Soul_13 no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #25
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 265

He needs to be Mubarak'd in May.

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2011, 02:07 AM   #26
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 246

.... or 'Gaddaffied'!!!! lol
Sandblast no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #27
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 79

what has he done thats so bad?!?!?!

the way i see it is that since the conservatives came into power in birmingham, things have been starting to happen after the lul that was albert bore....

whitby got the library started, news treet started, and secured an extension to the metro... all of which excaped labour!
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #28
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 2

He's a Conservative. Therefore in the eyes of many people. He is scum. Despite the achievements you mention above. Not to mention his role in getting John Lewis to come here.

Shame so many are so narrow minded really.
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #29
woodhousen

well that is it. i work in the public sector and nationally am currently having the con/lib coalition... but i'll openly admit, in the last few years in power, the cons/lib coalition in birmingham has done the city wonders.... and has done the city more than the labour inder bore didn even in the boom years!!!

the conservatives have done a lot of good work in birmingham.... regardless of what the guy looks like!
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #30
daumal

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
He's a Conservative. Therefore in the eyes of many people. He is scum. Despite the achievements you mention above. Not to mention his role in getting John Lewis to come here.

Shame so many are so narrow minded really.
To be honest I don't think it's unreasonable for people to dislike somebody on the basis of the political party that they represent. If you hate everything a party stands for and have done for years or decades, I think it's fair to be able to judge a person who's standing up and saying "I agree with enough of what this party stand for that I want to actively represent them". What could you have in common with them?

I've only ever lived in the city under the Tory/Lib Dem coalition so can't compare it to the years under Labour, but Whitby's insistence on bragging about how low our council tax is compared to other cities really annoys me when I look around me and see a city in need of investment. I suppose that's a fundamental ideological point on which I could never agree with him - the biggest shame is that there are equally fundamental ideological points on which I could never agree with Labour too, which doesn't give me much of a choice!
daumal no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #31
nigeman

[QUOTE=woodhousen;73417539]well that is it. i work in the public sector and nationally am currently having the con/lib coalition... but i'll openly admit, in the last few years in power, the cons/lib coalition in birmingham has done the city wonders.... and has done the city more than the labour inder bore didn even in the boom years!!!

I still find it hard to forgive him for his election promise to give us an underground when you knew full well it would never happen. Yes he as made some things happen, he's a money man with connections, but he as also promised a lot too that hasn't happened too.
nigeman no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #32
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 64

It might be contentious to mention it on here but for me the biggest things the Tory/LD's have done are not in the areas of development (although New St and the Library are big achievements) but in turning round a poorly performing and wasteful council. They have failed to do much about social services though.
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #33
woodhousen

i just wish people would be judged on their work and not the colour of their party.. i know it seems simplistic but i really couldnt give a shit what colour the city is so long as they do a good job at running it and delivering growth...

bring on elected mayors
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #34
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

Likes (Received): 81

I think this administration in the City should be given credit for what they have achieved as Woody says.

My beef however with Whitby and the current council is my old issue with the evasive 50m pool, that was promised and never will be delivered. Why are we spending money in Harborne (simple answer - because it's Whitby's ward) that could have been used to build a simple 50m pool without all the clutter? It's a major flaw that I struggle to forgive them for.
fruit&nut no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #35
bikmax

Likes (Received): 0

It,s all well and good claiming you don,t care about politics but the development of our cities does not occur in some sort of political, economic and social vacuum. If we are to develop the sort of cities, that i assume we all want-ie. environmentally sustainable, liveable economically viable centres then it is important that they are planned and not left to the whims of the market and the economic short terminism of property speculators. That is certainly not going to happen under a Tory administration. Effective planning needs strong local government with effective money raising powers.
bikmax no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #36
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Don't forget this kicks of today!
Ecological no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #37
woodhousen

indeed..... although what news we may or may not hear.. well you can only guess!

we havent even got a website this year :o(

....and yet our competition up the road still does....
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #38
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

I doubt we will hear very little. It seems as if Birmingham is keeping quiet for now ... fingers crossed with a few projects being highlighted currently underway it might convince a few others to come to the city.

What Birmingham really needs is a few quality daredevil developers.
Ecological no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #39
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
BSPA on lookout for Digital Plaza partner
Last updated: Tue 8th March, 2011 | Time: 08:31am

Birmingham Science Park Aston (BSPA) is using the MIPIM property conference this week to appoint a joint venture partner to deliver its £35m Digital Plaza.

The Digital Plaza – which will, subject to planning, be developed next to the Park’s Faraday Wharf building – will comprise four buildings, specifically designed for the new generation of hi-tech companies.

BSPA is wholly owned by Birmingham City Council.

The science park’s internet connection is unrivalled across the country, and last year was named as one of the country’s first science parks without walls.

Councillor Mike Whitby, leader of Birmingham City Council and chairman of Birmingham Science Park Aston, said: “We will be using the conference as a platform to initiate conversations with national and international developers, contractors, investors and consultants.

"We then anticipate that formal proceedings to begin the selection process will commence, with a view to work potentially starting on site by late 2012/early 2013. This will be a highly exciting and progressive development for Birmingham’s burgeoning digital economy.”

The four proposed Digital Plaza buildings will provide a total of 117,272 sq ft of space, with the first building - iCentrumTM – being the largest at 46,069 sq ft.

There are plans for two further buildings of 17,534 sq ft and a fourth building offering 36,134 sq ft.
These buildings are expected to appeal to larger companies as headquarters style facilities, said the park’s operator.
http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/...plaza-partner/

Pretty much the same story from the other thread
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #40
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 60

Wasn't there talk a while ago about Cisco Systems moving into Brum in a significant way?
markmcd1976 no está en línea  

Closed Thread