daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #1
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 141

CHONGQING | Public Transport

The Chongqing Monorail was originally scheduled to open in 2005 but now appears to be ahead of schedule. Perhaps one of the Chinese speaking members of this forum can confirm this. The official website is in Chinese:

http://www.cqmetro.cn/

This is a high capacity system extending 19 km and designed to carry 30,000 people per hour. The trains are based on a Hitachi design. The following are some pictures:

If any members of this forum have more pictures and/or information, please share.

Last edited by dimlys1994; December 22nd, 2015 at 05:38 PM.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #2
greg_christine

More Pictures

The following are some more pictures dredged from deep within the official Chongqing Metro website:

http://www.cqmetro.cn/

Old September 4th, 2004, 10:39 PM   #3
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Now I know why they use Monorail in Chongqing, I guess its too mountainous to make regular trains and subway. I like it when the monorail goes through the buildings kinda cool.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 12:25 AM   #4
Vertigo
Fan van de Neudeflat

Likes (Received): 130

Scenic monorail!
Vertigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Adderbak
Poetsvlek

Likes (Received): 0

This is incredible!!!
I mean, this is going to be used by real people, it is not some showcase thing for rich Westernes, like the MagLev in Shanghai. I can hardly imagine this thing really exists! It's so slick!
<packs his bags and is off to Chongqing>
Adderbak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #6
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6825

fantastic!!!
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #7
Nick
Gosford/Sydney.

Likes (Received): 53

Great pictures.I like the way it winds along the hillside and into the city.Its looks like patronage is going to be very high judging on the number a residents who live near it
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #8
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

Likes (Received): 12

Hey, I thought that the monorail system was still under construction, wow it seems that they're testing it rite now... that's kool dude
LULU – Locally Unwanted Land Use.
NOPE – Not On Planet Earth
BANANA – Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

Anymore????
bs_lover_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #9
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

That looks beautiful. Is Monorail somehow better than using a regular train? I was just wondering why they picked Monorail.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #10
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

Chongqing's geography probably limits the viability to build underground heavy rail (costs could become exorbitant and a burden for riders to compensate for), so maybe elevated monorail is more affordable than elevated conventional rail?
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #11
Magician
Hellexpress

Likes (Received): 129

They like to build the monorail cut through the building...
Old September 10th, 2004, 01:09 AM   #12
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7
Chongqing's geography probably limits the viability to build underground heavy rail (costs could become exorbitant and a burden for riders to compensate for), so maybe elevated monorail is more affordable than elevated conventional rail?
I know that regular rail subways and elevated trains run pretty fast but I was wondering if Monorail runs at similar speeds. For some reason the Monorail looks slow to me. Maybe I'm wrong about that but it appears that it would be a slow mode of transportation. I can't see it zooming along at 60mph (100kph )
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:39 AM   #13
greg_christine

Maximum Operating Speed is 80 km/h

The maximum operating speed is 80 km/h, which is about 50 mph. The trains used in Chongqing are the Hitachi Large Type. Hitachi's monorail website is:

http://www.hitachi-rail.com/products...ail/index.html

Some specifications appear below:

Large Type

Standard Type

Small Type
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #14
Pobbie Rarr

Likes (Received):

Excellent! The world needs more monorails.
Old June 19th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #15
greg_christine

The Chongqing Monorail initiated full service on June 18:

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/m...inas_Chongqing

Japan-funded monorail inaugurated in China's Chongqing
Jun 18, 2005, 10:40 GMT

Text of report in English by Japanese news agency Kyodo

Chongqing, China, 18 June: A ceremony was held Saturday [18 June] to mark the inauguration of a 13.5-km monorail in Chongqing, central China, with Japanese bureaucrats and top businessmen attending, as the project was largely funded by Japan's yen loans.

"We hope that this facility will be used and loved by Chinese citizens for long and will become a bridge nurturing friendly ties between Japan and China," Satoshi Iwamura, Japan's vice-minister for land, infrastructure and transport, said in a speech.

The Japanese government financed a 27bn-yen portion of the 47bn-yen monorail project, whose construction began in 2000.

The monorail is the first to be built in China with Japanese technology. It was constructed by Hitachi Ltd and a Chinese railway car manufacturer in the northeastern province of Jilin, with Hitachi providing the Chinese firm with its monorail designing technology and operation management know-how.

Chongqing Mayor Wang Hongju said at the ceremony, "The monorail provides a range of advantages in that it does not produce much noise and does not take up much land. In addition, it helps ease traffic congestion."

"This monorail can transport 200 million passengers annually, so we are planning to extend the route in the coming years," said Wang. Chongqing is a key location for the Chinese government's plan to expedite the development of the Chinese inland.

The event was also attended by Nippon Steel Corp Chairman Akira Chihaya and other Japanese businessmen, who came at the Chinese invitation.

Chihaya is set to become the next chairman of the Japan-China Economic Association, a group of Japanese business organizations promoting economic links with China.

The ceremony likely signals that the economic ties between the two countries remain strong despite bilateral political relations having soured in recent years, mainly due to repeated visits by Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi and other senior Japanese politicians to Tokyo's Yasukuni Shrine, which honours Class-A World War II war criminals as well as Japan's war dead.

Anti-Japanese sentiment is said to be strong in Chongqing, the largest of China's four provincial-level municipalities, as many local people were killed there during the Sino-Japanese War in bombings by Japanese warplanes.

Observers said China wanted to impress the Japanese side with the day's ceremony to stress the importance of Japan's continued economic cooperation and investment in China, as Tokyo plans to end its yen loans to the country, which has shown dramatic economic growth.

Japan's Foreign Minister Nobutaka Machimura said in March that he has "basically agreed with Chinese Foreign Minister Li Zhaoxing that Japan will end fresh yen loans by the time of the Beijing Olympics" in 2008.

Since 1980, Japan has given China 3.133 trillion-yen in low-interest loans, 145bn yen in grants and 144bn yen worth of technical cooperation.

Source: Kyodo News Service, Tokyo, in English 0750 gmt 18 Jun 05

BBC Mon AS1 AsPol sg

Copyright 2005 BBC Monitoring Service distributed by United Press International
Old June 19th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #16
micro

Likes (Received): 102

A nice system!

The elevated monorail tracks are much leaner and more elegant than those of conventional rails! They spoil the cityscape much less than elevated railway structures.

The world's monorails:
http://www.monorails.org/
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #17
EdZed

Likes (Received): 0

That looks so sweet. Is this the same type of system that Seattle is going to build?
EdZed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #18
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 846

I think Monorails have been given a bum rap in NA becuase people think they are only good for airports and amusement parks. I think they make msre sence than SkyTrain has they have the same ridership capacity but are cheaper to build.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #19
greg_christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdZed
That looks so sweet. Is this the same type of system that Seattle is going to build?
The Chongqing monorail uses 4-car trains of the Hitachi Large Type. The new Seattle monorail will use 2-car trains of the Hitachi Standard Type:

Seattle train from Cascadia Monorail website:

Seattle train from Seattle Monorail Project website:

Interior views from similar Hitachi trains from Seattle Monorail Project website:

A 6-car Hitachi Standard Type train at Tokyo Disneyland:

A 2-car Hitachi Standard Type train in Naha, Okinawa, which are similar to the Seattle trains but have different noses:

Unfortunately, the trains will not be compatible with Seattle's existing 1962 World's Fair Alweg trains:

The following figure provides a comparison of train capacities:

Regarding the arrangement of the beamway, the Seattle system will be fundamentally different from the Chongqing system in that the beamway will not follow the center of the streets. Like most monorail systems, the Chongqing system features a beamway that follows the centers of the streets and has stations that straddle the streets. The Seattle system will have the beamway at the edge of the streets and the stations will be off to one side.

On Monday, June 20, design information from Cascadia Monorail for the Seattle system is to be released to the public. Information on the financing of the new monorail will be released on June 30. Financing issues could still derail the project.

For more information, see the following websites:

Seattle Monorail Project:
http://www.elevated.org/

Cascadia Monorail:
http://www.cascadiamonorail.com/

Hitachi Monorail:
http://www.hitachi-rail.com/products...ail/index.html
Old June 19th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #20
crazyjoeda
Mac User

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2
I think Monorails have been given a bum rap in NA becuase people think they are only good for airports and amusement parks. I think they make msre sence than SkyTrain has they have the same ridership capacity but are cheaper to build.
They are much more costly to maintain and operate they also are almost as expensive as Skytrain. The overal most efficant most bang for your buck is an LRT like the one in Portland, but ALRT and Monrails are faster and much nicer to use.

Tags
chongqing