daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #101
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Does somebody have the current map with the next extensions in a bigger size?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #102
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
My comment was about whether station arrangement has anything to do with calling it a subway. Both Link and TriMet have a combination of ground, elevated, and underground stations, just like Chongqing Line 2.
hmmwv, Chongqing Line 2 doesn't have any ground stations. All are either underground or elevated and all are fully grade segregated. Also, stations platforms have barrier gates (like at SeaTac) that prevent somebody from going onto the rail, much like other Chinese Heavy systems.

There really aren't any similarities with Link or Portland. Both systems have stations at grade and integrate with traffic, grade separated runs, with stations at, above, and below (does Portland have any below?). CQ if anything, has some similarities with Seattle Monorail in that it is ALWEG design, I believe - or at least looks like it [Seattle Monorail being a tourist/demonstrator and CQ being a fully functioning metro based on/built by Tokyo/Osaka 'Hitachi' Monorail].

Despite being a monorail, CQ Line 2 functions like a heavy rail subway in both design and use/capacity. The other CQ lines will either be heavy rail subway or similar 'light' rail/monorail design.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #103
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

There hasn't been any posts here for a while. Does anyone have any pictures or video of the Line 3 in operation? Those look like some pretty sleek trains!! It will be nice to see pictures of the whole train from a nice angle!!
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #104
Myouzke

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Does somebody have the current map with the next extensions in a bigger size?
This is the best one that I can find
Myouzke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #105
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3503

The train from line 3 looks like the one on the Palm Jumeirah in Dubai.

Can someone tell me when line 2 + 3 will start? It`s important for me to plan my trips. Thank you for your help.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #106
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Line 2 is operating since 2004! You may refer to lines 1 and 3, which will open in June if I'm not mistaken.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #107
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Can't wait until mid-June when Line 1 and Line 3 debut. . Should do WONDERS for Chongqing traffic and perfect (Summer) timing!!!!
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #108
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
I find looks of monorail futuristic, like it.
for me is exactly the opposite. monorail looks like something from the past. something from the 50s but concieved in the 20s, like Brasilia.

it's just ugly, and it was old in the very moment of it's construction.

at least in Chongqing there's a real need for the system...
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #109
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

To each his own I suppose. I find monorails to be just another form or transit that looks as modern or as dated as any other metro system. As for Brasilia, it is an incredible city, perhaps the ideas on urban development were unsustainable, but the architecture is incredible, and yes, I have been there.

Steve
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #110
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

I think it's excellent that you got to experience the urban wonders of Brasilia.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:10 PM   #111
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4433

So light rail monorails are going to serve a 10+ million metropolis? Even a smaller city such as Chengdu can have a proper metro system, why can't Chongqing have it?

Correct me if i'm wrong.
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:37 PM   #112
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6985

it's heavy monorail
Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:14 PM   #113
napkcirtap

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
So light rail monorails are going to serve a 10+ million metropolis? Even a smaller city such as Chengdu can have a proper metro system, why can't Chongqing have it?

Correct me if i'm wrong.
built on the hill, subways can't climb steep mountains while monorails can
napkcirtap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:28 PM   #114
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4433

Quote:
Originally Posted by napkcirtap View Post
built on the hill, subways can't climb steep mountains while monorails can
But capacity wise then? How many people can a full length train-set take? How often does it go? Do people view it as if it was a subway?
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:57 AM   #115
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Changchun Rail Vehicles Co. Ltd
Licensed Hitachi Large Type

The drawing shows a 6-car train, but I believe the capacity of 882 passengers is based on a 4-car train, as the composition stated at the top of the table identifies a 4-car train.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:03 AM   #116
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

They are also planning a conventional style metro. However, both monorail and standard metro are known as the metro.

see http://www.subways.net/china/chongqing.htm

and

http://www.echinacities.com/chongqin...he-end-of.html
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:43 PM   #117
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Apparently the opening of the two new lines has been delayed. According to Chinese Wiki line 1 will open at the very end of July (The 31st!), while line 3 will open in September.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:20 PM   #118
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:

Correct me if i'm wrong.
Chongqing is extremely hilly so it's almost impossible to build a large scale conventional subway system, proper subway can only serve certain districts which have the same ground elevation. If a large subway is used and it's designed to be built at the same elevation, then some station will be elevated, some will be ground level, and some underground.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #119
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Quote:

Correct me if i'm wrong.
Vectro.

Thanks for the comments, let me correct things.

First off, this is not light monorail (ala Seattle Monorail), this is Heavy Monorail (ala Osaka Monorail or Tokyo Haneda Monorail). In fact, Chongqing Monorail cars (and system) comes from Japan - and its capacity per line is over 36,000 passengers per hour per direction. As you can see from the diagrams above, each car has 136 seats but can have a crush load almost 900 people. With 6 cars per train, well - That is the equivalent to most subway systems, and due to the very lengthy platforms I believe two trains can be connected (probably doubling capacity).

Chengdu is flat and spread out, so subway works there because it doesnt need to be as deep and can be built cheaply (almost all is cut and cover). This would NOT work in Chongqing, all subway tunnels are TBM'd.

I've ridden on Chongqing Metro Line 2 (a monorail) and believe me you can't tell that it is not a subway, it rides and feels like a true subway and it does look to be able to handle crush loads.

One other point - not every line in Chongqing will be monorail; however most will be due to the terrain of the city (as others have mentioned, which is mountaineous and river (valleys). These tremendous changes in elevation would require tremendously deep subway tunnels if it were all subway, and some stations would be ridiculously underground while others would not be. And again, Heavy Rail subways like to be flat where as monorails can climb quite well.

There will be 2 Heavy Rail subway lines, Line 1 and Line 6. Line 1 is scheduled to open any day now this year, Line 6 is tentatively scheduled to open next year sometime. Both are Heavy Rail subway and will have the capacity like other major world cities. Both heavy rail lines will go through Jeifangbei CBD, the main downtown, and line 1 will essentially go through the most dense part of the city (E-W Shapingba to Jeifangbei CBD/Chaotianmen).

Line 3 is a heavy monorail and will also open this year. It is being extended right as we speak to Jiangbei Airport although its initial routing will be from the north train station through Yuzhong (Caiyuanba Train Station) to Nanping CBD (south). In 2011, the bulk of the urban area of Chongqing will be covered with Line 1 (subway), 2 (heavy monorail), and 3 (heavy monorail). By 2012, nearly all of it will be covered with Line 6 (subway) added, as well as the extension to Line 3 to the airport.

Again, it would be nice for a city as big as Chongqing to have a proper, all heavy rail subway, but it is not practical on every route due to the elevation at ground level - which would necessitate extremely deep tunnles/stations to keep things level.

Come for a visit and check it out, Im sure the monorails will leave you impressed!

Last edited by Hot Rod; June 27th, 2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #120
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

roller coaster style Chongqing metro

sina macroblog
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chongqing