daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #1
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Lakeshore East | U/C

Lakeshore East is an enormous complex situated on what once was land used by the Illinois Central Railroad rail yards and was intended to be part of the Illinois Center.

Master plan by SOM:

Maps showing Lakeshore East in relationship with its surroundings:

This complex is one of the largest in the US under construction right now.
  • Only 9.7 out of 14.5 million sq. ft will be utilized
  • 5,000 residential units planned
  • 6 acre park
  • 14 residential towers
  • 2 office towers
  • Future elementary school for residents (either in or around complex)
  • Market place as well as other convenience shopping

Tower Name/ Height/ Floors/ Completion Date
Aqua 250 m 82 2009
340 on the Park 205 m 64 2007
The Tides 152 m 51 2008
The Regatta 142 m 45 2007
The Shoreham 137 m 47 2005
The Chandler 118 m 36 2008
The Lancaster 99 m 30 2005

Coast at Lakeshore East 130 m 49 2013
375 East Wacker 281m 76
Lakeshore East Building 2-O 198 m 2008
Lakeshore East Building 2-A 168 m 2008
Lakeshore East Building 3-I 160 m 2010
Lakeshore East Building 1-K 128 m
Lakeshore East Building 3-J 104 m 2010
Lakeshore East Building 3-L 85 m 2010

Completed
Under Construction
Approved
Proposed

Completed:
Aqua
image hosted on flickr

Aqua by b24chicago, on Flickr

340 On The Park (from scb.com)

The Tides
image hosted on flickr

The Tides and The Shoreham by compujeramey, on Flickr

The Regatta (from dplusp.com)

The Shoreham
image hosted on flickr

The Shoreham by Zol87, on Flickr

The Chandler (from dplusp.com)

The Lancaster
image hosted on flickr

The Lancaster by Zol87, on Flickr

Village Market

ParkHomes (from Magellan Sells)

Under Construction
Coast at Lakeshore East- site preparation

Approved

Proposed
Arquitectonica Proposal (375 East Wacker)

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; October 12th, 2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Adding renderings and updated spyguy's information.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #2
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

Likes (Received): 0

edsg25, Check out this thread on how to post pics, don't worry, it took me a while to figure it out as well.

How to add pics to your post.

I use Fotopic for hosting my pics, it is free and relatively easy to do.

As for Lakeshore East, I have done some walking around there as well, and I like what's going on. That park is going to change a lot over the years as they construct new buildings. I think it's funny that in an ad for one of the buildings, The Lancaster, the rendering shows a huge amount of park space, but they don't tell you that there will be many more buildings added to that park space in the future and the vast park shown will not be that way for long.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.

Last edited by 24gotham; September 4th, 2004 at 05:29 PM.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #3
Rivernorth
Vertigo City

This article is more about Millenium Park's influence on some Loop residential megaprojects, but still has some good info on LSE...

Chicago - It takes a park to raise a village

Lakeshore East is rising on a 28-acre site just north of the park.

First to be built: The Lancaster, with 209 condos.

The Regatta, 60% sold and slated for late '05 opening.

"Just how much did the park cost?" queries a reporter. Daley spreads his hands about two feet apart. But reflected in the curving mirror-like surface of the Kapoor behind him, the distance between hizzoner da mare's hands stretches the entire 66-foot width of the bean-like sculpture.

Such has been the debate over Millennium Park's price tag. Plagued by steep cost overruns and delays that postponed the park's unveiling years beyond its scheduled 2000 debut, Daley's pet project has met with its share of criticism.

But since its gala July 16th grand opening, the nay saying has fallen off more steeply than Sammy Sosa's batting average.

"One hundred years from now, no one will remember the cost," more than a few have opined, their eyes still glassy after touring the 25-acre fountain- and garden-dotted blanket of green. "All people will care about is that Chicago boasts this world-class lakefront treasure."

That's yet to be seen. But what can't be disputed is the zest with which developers are building high-rise residences around Millennium Park and with which buyers are snapping them up.

Just west of the park, the luxurious new 57-story Heritage at Millennium Park condo is 99% sold, and the buyers reportedly include Daley himself. To the north of the park, a new development forest of 17 high-rises called Lakeshore East is starting to sprout on 28 acres of vacant land. And the park has been a catalyst for condo development up and down its Michigan Avenue border.

Among the more notable examples are an adaptive reuse of a Victorian-vintage building that once housed catalog giant Montgomery Ward at 6 North Michigan Ave., and the creation of The Columbian, a 46-story condominium building at 1160 South Michigan Ave.

Nowhere has the park's influence been more evident than in its ability to help launch Lakeshore East. The tract upon which that development sits, bordered by the Chicago River on the north, Lake Shore Drive on the east, Randolph Street on the south and Columbus Drive on the west, was once the largest undeveloped parcel of downtown land in any major U.S. city.

In the 1960s, urban planners decided it would serve as the site of a mega-development called Illinois Center. But the crumbling economy of the 1970s deep-sixed the eastern half of the retail-and-office complex.

Briefly considered as the location of a new Chicago Bears stadium in the 1980s, the site was later reborn as a nine-hole downtown golf course.

Joel Carlin, president of Chicago's Magellan Development Group, was lining up a putt at the sixth hole one day when he determined to find out who owned this "fabulous piece of land." In 2002, with the rich potential of neighbor Millennium Park increasingly apparent, Magellan teamed with Chicago's Near North Properties and led an investment group in purchasing the land. Then the group assigned the Chicago office of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill to craft a master plan.

The result is a $2.5-billion development program that by its conclusion, around 2020, will yield nothing less than an entirely new city neighborhood in the heart of downtown Chicago-one that is just steps from the visual enticements and entertainment lures of Millennium Park.

Encircling the project's own green centerpiece, six-acre Harbor Park, will be 4,950 residences; more than two million square feet of commercial space; 1,300 hotel rooms, and a public school accommodating up to 350 students. San Jose-based KMD Architects has already designed a village center that will house a gourmet grocery, restaurants, shops, cafes and service businesses.

The Lancaster, the first condominium tower to be built in Lakeshore East, stands a block north of Millennium Park and is slated for occupancy late this year. Its 209 condos, priced at $250,000 to $900,000, are 92% sold. Another condominium building, The Regatta, offers 324 units priced from $210,000 to $1.1 million, and is 60% sold. Magellan Development hopes to break ground on The Regatta this autumn, for a late 2005 opening.

In terms of prominence, however, these and other buildings will take a back seat to 340 On The Park. The jewel in Lakeshore East's crown, this 62-story luxury tower perched on the park's northern periphery is scheduled to begin construction later this year, with first occupancies in 2007. Its 350 one- to four-bedroom condos, as well as top-floor penthouse units, are priced from the high $300,000 range to several million dollars for the penthouses.

Developed by Chicago's LR Development Company in partnership with Magellan, the sleek glass tower will feature curving east- and west-side walls to maximize views of Millennium Park south and Harbor Park north.

While other buildings might tuck common areas in the basement or rear, 340 On The Park will plunk its club room, fitness center and 25-yard pool in a 25th-floor 360-degree space overlooking Millennium, Harbor and Grant Parks.

Clearly, Lakeshore East's creators are heeding Daniel Burnham's admonition to "make no small plans." But some skeptics have voiced concern about the potential impact of adding almost 5,000 residences to a 28-acre parcel in one of Chicagoland's densest areas.

Whether the

two- and three-level roadways bordering the community on all four sides will accommodate the expected glut of motorists remains to be seen.

Given predictions the number of downtown Chicago housing units could double between 2003 and 2020, a car-free existence may turn out to be the optimal solution for those in Lakeshore East and elsewhere.

But for now, in the giddy afterglow of Millennium Park's unveiling, folks just seem happy to be close to this urban oasis. "I can't overstate how important the park is to the residential development around it," says Andrew Warner, sales and market director of The Heritage at Millennium Park. "It will be Chicago's version of Central Park."
Old September 5th, 2004, 02:21 AM   #4
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivernorth
Given predictions the number of downtown Chicago housing units could double between 2003 and 2020, a car-free existence may turn out to be the optimal solution for those in Lakeshore East and elsewhere.
^ My favorite quote in the whole article
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 02:40 AM   #5
The Urban Politician
The City

Oh, and BTW, isn't one of those highrises supposed to have a huge archway that looms over the development? The depictions of it are breathtaking! I hope that is still in the plans..
Old September 5th, 2004, 02:52 AM   #6
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Just for centrality's sake, can someone put the picture of 340' on the park here? Whenever I feel like ogling it, it always takes me a while to find it through some long list of threads.
simulcra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 04:36 AM   #7
Rivernorth
Vertigo City

Ask, and yee shall recieve...

Old September 5th, 2004, 06:33 AM   #8
itsnotrequired

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I work in the east Loop and walk by Lakeshore East 3 or 4 times a week. The Lancaster is topped out and the tower crane for that building was starting to come down last Thursday. The two fountains in the park appear to be structurally complete and now electricians are working on the lighting. A small playground is in place (complete with swings, jungle gym, etc.) and lots of trees were on site last Friday, ready for planting.

As far as I can tell, The Regatta has not started construction yet. What I can only assume to be a parking garage on the east side of the development was getting some attention last week.

340 on The Park has not started construction yet either.
itsnotrequired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #9
The Urban Politician
The City

Yes, and the arch?
Old September 5th, 2004, 07:05 AM   #10
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

muhaha, another chicagoer to join our unholy army. (welcome)
simulcra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #11
dancethingy

Likes (Received): 6

Wut arch?
dancethingy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 03:59 PM   #12
edsg25
BANNED

the north-south axis of lakeshore east (centered on the park) has a projected high rise on its north end that contains a huge arch in its base that opens up the view to the river and the various levels of wacker.

http://lakeshoreeast.com/
Old September 5th, 2004, 08:20 PM   #13
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
the north-south axis of lakeshore east (centered on the park) has a projected high rise on its north end that contains a huge arch in its base that opens up the view to the river and the various levels of wacker.

http://lakeshoreeast.com/
Yes, and to me it's the most beautiful part of the project. If that is not incorporated, then I will be very dissappointed.
Old September 5th, 2004, 09:51 PM   #14
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
Yes, and to me it's the most beautiful part of the project. If that is not incorporated, then I will be very dissappointed.
fully agree with you on that, but i must admit there is a lot i like about LSE.
to put in a generous 6 acre park this close to Grant Pk, Millennium, etc., is extraordinary. the townhouses surrounding it are a very humanly scaled decision. the plans for the market place sound very good. I think this project is going to be outstanding.
Old September 5th, 2004, 11:17 PM   #15
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Quote:
AGH, I may be daft, but I'm not seeing where the heck you're getting this info from.
Old September 6th, 2004, 04:30 AM   #16
The Urban Politician
The City

A good place to find out more about Lakeshore east is to stop by their sales center on State St. near the corner of State and Chicago. There the people are more than happy to show models, pass out brochures, answer questions, etc. I did that about 6 months ago (when I was last in town) and got some good pictures of 340 on the Park (long before one could obtain them on the internet).
Old September 6th, 2004, 07:12 AM   #17
Rivernorth
Vertigo City

i got a bunch of pics of that arch on my computer, but there is no way to put it on this forum w/o hosting, which im just too lazy to do. Try searching SSP for it. It definatly does exist, and its quite amazing actually. It really does add a lot to the Riverfront side of the project...
Old September 6th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #18
edsg25
BANNED

Urban Politican, do they have material there that they do not have on their web site? And where exactly from the intersection of State and Chgo...I've been by there a lot and never saw it (I hope I don't have to go into Holy Name and ask a priest for a copy)
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #19
The Urban Politician
The City

An interesting article today about the effect of Millennium park on nearby residential growth:

September 06, 2004
Park stokes condo sales
New East Side views, locale wow buyers

By Alby Gallun

The buzz surrounding Millennium Park's July opening is stoking sales at nearby condo projects, with buyers standing in line for hours to put down deposits, and sales contracts being signed at a faster pace than any other downtown neighborhood.
The $475-million park is "going to light up that area," says Jason Vargas, a 37-year-old marketing executive who, along with his wife, is buying a three-bedroom condo on the 15th floor of the Columbian, a 46-story tower going up at Michigan Avenue near Roosevelt Road.

continued below

Advertisement

"Without a doubt, (Millennium Park) was a big reason" the Vargases want to live in the area — so much so that they waited three hours, along with 500 others, to make a deposit on a unit when the Columbian's sales office opened on a Saturday in mid-July.
"It was absolutely packed," recalls Myranda Zarlengo-Vargas, a 29-year-old photographer.

The Vargases declined to say how much they're paying, but three-bedroom condos at the Columbian range from about $700,000 to $1.6 million. So far, buyers have reserved 150, or 68%, of the building's 220 units, says Andrew Warner, vice-president of Chicago-based Equity Marketing Services Inc., the sales agent for the Columbian.

Looking south

The neighborhood, which real estate agents have dubbed the New East Side, stretches roughly from Millennium Park's northern border at East Randolph Street south to Roosevelt Road, the southern border of Grant Park. It includes projects like the Heritage at Millennium Park, a nearly sold-out 57-story tower at the park's northwest corner (Mayor Richard M. Daley is buying a unit there) and Britannica Centre, an 80-year-old Graham Anderson Probst & White-designed office tower at 310 S. Michigan Ave. that's being converted into a 220-unit luxury condo building.

Long-awaited: Myranda Zarlengo-Vargas and Jason Vargas are buying a condo at the Columbian. Photo: Brett Kramer
"The opening of Millennium Park has had a huge effect on the market," says Gail Lissner, vice-president of Appraisal Research Counselors Ltd., a Chicago-based consulting firm that tracks downtown condo sales. "It's really pulling that center of gravity (in the condo market) southward."

According to Appraisal Research, buyers signed contracts in the second quarter for 226 condo units in the Loop/New East Side, an area bordered by Lake Michigan to the east, the Chicago River to the north and west and Congress Parkway to the south. No other downtown submarket had more new contracts.

Moreover, the Loop/New East Side accounted for nearly 24% of the new downtown condo contracts in the first half of the year, vs. 9% for all of 2003, according to Appraisal Research.

Sales have been brisk at projects like 340 on the Park, a 62-story, 343-unit building at 340 E. Randolph St. with units ranging from $315,000 to $4 million. The developer, Chicago-based LR Development Co., started taking reservations for units and had 140 by the end of June.

Though condos are still cheaper south of the Chicago River, the price gap appears to be narrowing.

In mid-2003, a three-bedroom, two-bath unit at the Heritage at Randolph Street and Wabash Avenue ranged from $633,500 to $683,000, or $383 to $413 a square foot. At the end of the second quarter of this year, the same unit listed for $760,500 to $795,500, or $460 to $481 a square foot.

The average price per square foot at the Heritage is now $592, which makes it the highest-priced project near Millennium Park, even more expensive than, say, Riverview Tower II, just west of Lake Shore Drive in Streeterville, which averages $455. Still, the most expensive downtown condo developments remain north of the river: Trump International Tower averages $880 a square foot, and a unit at 65 E. Goethe St. in the Gold Coast averages $812.

Perks, views

The appeal of the Millennium Park area, buyers say, is the mix of amenities — the new park, the cultural attractions and the proximity to Loop offices. Then there's the view.

"You're right on the lakefront. You've got incredible views anywhere you look," says Gail Fitzpatrick, a 52-year-old finance executive who's buying a two-bedroom unit on the 46th floor of 340 on the Park.

Park views command a premium. At the Columbian, for instance, east-facing units have sold for an average of $516 a square foot, 54% more than the $336 a square foot for units facing west.

To be sure, a parkside project is no slam dunk. A 129-unit redevelopment at 6 N. Michigan Ave. is on hold: Its lender foreclosed on the development, which was plagued with construction problems, and in July sued the developers for fraud. But that was more a matter of execution than location.

Condo speculators, who try to flip units for a profit, may also be driving the strong sales around Millennium Park, says Ms. Lissner of Appraisal Research. Speculators remain a concern for some observers, who worry they're inflating demand for units, giving developers the sales they need to get projects off the ground, leading ultimately to a condo glut. And some speculators never close on their units, saddling developers with extra inventory.
Old September 6th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #20
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
Urban Politican, do they have material there that they do not have on their web site? And where exactly from the intersection of State and Chgo...I've been by there a lot and never saw it (I hope I don't have to go into Holy Name and ask a priest for a copy)

Yes, they have a 3-D model, some better pictures, and they are available to answer questions (as opposed to us speculating on this forum).
The sales center is on State St near Chicago on the west side of the street. If you could not find it than perhaps they moved..