daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #181
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
That's what the parkhomes are for. I think what we possibly need to be concerned about is how these buildings will look abutting Wacker Drive. I say this because the main level/entrance level of those towers will be the same level as upper Wacker Drive, but upper Wacker only goes so far...It doesn't go all the way to LSD. How will the walls of the highrises that face Wacker Drive furthest to the east be treated...
Chicago's Dept of Planning and Devt and the City council, as a reflection of the population they represent, are obsessed with appearances. Sure some shit gets built, but when it comes to what we present to the lakefront, riverfront, and Lakeshore drive--I highly doubt they'll let an ugly wall face Wacker--especially in that particular area.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #182
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
Chicago's Dept of Planning and Devt and the City council, as a reflection of the population they represent, are obsessed with appearances. Sure some shit gets built, but when it comes to what we present to the lakefront, riverfront, and Lakeshore drive--I highly doubt they'll let an ugly wall face Wacker--especially in that particular area.
They can't be that obsessed with appearances, seeing as the towers that were previously there had blank walls, even thought hey weren't against Wacker Dr, We'll see. Wherever I revisit the sales center, I'll enquire about their plans.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #183
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Relatively not in the stream of conversation, but I'd jsut like to say that I took a cab to the north side (Pizano's pizza) and passed by lakeshore east. The Lancaster makes me drool.
Old March 13th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #184
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
They can't be that obsessed with appearances, seeing as the towers that were previously there had blank walls, even thought hey weren't against Wacker Dr, We'll see. Wherever I revisit the sales center, I'll enquire about their plans.
^Yes, but you have to realize that we have entered a new era. Chicago, like it did before WWII, is beginning to understand the importance of the pedestrian, the human, the citizen, etc. Those and many other structures were built during a time when Chicago had given up on those ideals and caved in to developers trying to make a quick buck. I honestly think that if many of those buildings had been developed in the current climate those issues would have been better addressed.
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #185
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

-Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I stopped by the Lake Shore East marketing center yesterday. Someone already mentioned this several weeks ago, but the next tower will be called "The Chandler". I was told that it would be around 35 stories.

When I asked who the architects were, I really didn't get the response that I was looking for, but then again, she wasn't 100% sure. She said that she believes Lowenberg were the architects, possibly with DeStefano: I would rather it be the other was around, DeStefano, with Lowenberg working on the interior.

She told me that they would probably begin marketing the new building sometime next month. There is no rendering as of this moment. The new tower will be directly east of The Regatta.
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #186
Chi_Coruscant

Likes (Received): 0

Any rendering on The Chanlder? Just asking.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:03 AM   #187
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant
No, not yet, they should have something within the next several months.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:00 AM   #188
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant

Here's a rendering of The Chandler

I stopped by the Lakeshore East salescenter, and this is what I was able to pick up. You are looking at the southern facade, the norther facade is identical. It reminds me a bit of The Lancaster.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:21 AM   #189
Chi_Coruscant

Quote:
Here's a rendering of The Chandler

I stopped by the Lakeshore East salescenter, and this is what I was able to pick up. You are looking at the southern facade, the norther facade is identical. It reminds me a bit of The Lancaster.

I like the southern facade! How tall is the Chandler?

Memo to Victor: your sleuthing is unparalleled!
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:43 AM   #190
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Excellent work Butler. It does remind me a bit of the Lancaster, but, given that the Lancaster's west facade is practically perfect, I think it's okay
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #191
The Urban Politician
The City

It kind of looks like a marriage between the Lancaster and the Regatta. Quite fascinating!

I like it. LSE will have good architecture. It is perhaps going to be Chicago's first downtown hood with all modern architecture. Actually, Central Station was first, but its architecture hasn't been all that good...
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #192
Rivernorth
Vertigo City

its improving though. slowly
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #193
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

For such a fast growing, successfully, and prominent project, I'm rather surprised by the elements of LSE that are not forthcoming.

Clearly the row houses will be built before a number of the high rises. The land is graded already for here and the location on the park is ideal. This will undoubtedly be some of best town houses in Chicago, unique in their proximity to the Loop, unparraelled by their lake and river location. Why are there only some rudimentry drawings of them currently available with total lack of detail?

Same on the market place. The concept has been locked it. The architect chosen ages ago. The need most evident. Why do we have virtually nothing on this aspect of the project at this point?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #194
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
Why do we have virtually nothing on this aspect of the project at this point?
Indeed. Perhaps Magellan is revising their "best and highest use" of these parcels? When shovels first hit the dirt on LSE, the Loop condo market hadn't yet reached its current white-hot status. I'm astonished by the number of condo projects that have hit the boards in just the last year - where is the bottom to this trend (higher lending rates, perhaps?) With demand so very high and space limited, townhouses might look less attractive to a speculative developer today than they did even a few years ago.

re: market - isn't this the project that Studio Gang is working on, or are they involved in some other aspect of LSE?
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #195
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit
With demand so very high and space limited, townhouses might look less attractive to a speculative developer today than they did even a few years ago.
^You think so? I think townhouses will attract a subset of rich people who don't want to live in penthouses or condos, but still want to be downtown. IMO, they'll sell very well
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #196
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

I wonder how well the townhouses on the water at River East have fared. Anyone know?
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #197
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

I like the chandler. I was starting to get worried that all the buildings would be white and blue glass (forget if Regatta is suppossed to have paint or not), so the brown-blue of the Chandler is a good mix up.
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #198
ChicagoLover

It looks like print media is behind yet again...

In an article about the financing of Lakeshore East in the Tribune today, real estate columnist Thomas Corfman wrote:

"And later this year construction is expected to start on a high-end, 61-story condo tower, to be located at 340 E. Randolph St., a venture with developer LR Development Co. That deal values the site at $20 million."

I guess Corfman's window in Tribune Tower does not face south, precluding him a view of the foundation work being completed for 340 on the Park ???
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #199
2PRUROCKS!

^They were behind and ahead at the same time because the same article said the Shorham was finished but it is still UC.
2PRUROCKS! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:54 AM   #200
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoLover
It looks like print media is behind yet again...

In an article about the financing of Lakeshore East in the Tribune today, real estate columnist Thomas Corfman wrote:

"And later this year construction is expected to start on a high-end, 61-story condo tower, to be located at 340 E. Randolph St., a venture with developer LR Development Co. That deal values the site at $20 million."

I guess Corfman's window in Tribune Tower does not face south, precluding him a view of the foundation work being completed for 340 on the Park ???
^These Tribune columnists reporting on developments downtown SUCK! It is quite a huge shame and embarassment how badly they get their facts mixed up. Maybe they all live in the suburbs and have no clue. Either way, do your jobs and get the facts right, mother****ers!