daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:44 AM   #381
pottebaum
Minneapolis
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,032
Likes (Received): 4

The retail center in LSE, what's it supposed to be like? Mixed us, multi story'd?

I think it'd be awesome to see Target in the current Sears, too, but what are the odds of that happening..
pottebaum no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2005, 04:17 AM   #382
edsg25
BANNED
 
edsg25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,195
Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
well, having grown up on the north shore and never hearing of this sunset foods place, you're claim that it is "almost legendary" seems a bit dubious to me. but from what you've said, i'm sure its a fine place.
Dan, I don't know how much business gets from the lower end of the North Shore (Evanston, Wilmette, etc.), but certainly around Highland Park, Northbrook, etc., it is considered a big deal.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #383
UrbanSophist
Registered User
 
UrbanSophist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,850
Likes (Received): 44

^ I think Sunset Foods is big with the Jewish community.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #384
Chi_Coruscant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 879
Likes (Received): 0

This afternoon, I saw a very tall red crane set up on the 340OTP foundation.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 06:37 AM   #385
wickedestcity
BANNED
 
wickedestcity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,566
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSophist
^ I think Sunset Foods is big with the Jewish community.
not that im aware of
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 07:35 AM   #386
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
Dan, I don't know how much business gets from the lower end of the North Shore (Evanston, Wilmette, etc.), but certainly around Highland Park, Northbrook, etc., it is considered a big deal.

Edg25 is pretty right. In the communties it is in it is considered very professional and upper tier and well respected. It was kind of the Whole Foods before there was a Whole Foods (it does not have the the eco edge to it to the degree Whole Foods does though). I think there is one in Lake Forest as well if I am not mistaken. Sunset Foods at least in Northbrook is in the more WASP east area so the whole Jewish angle is not that true.
Treasure Island is not all that bad itself though and is more identifeid with the city though so either way you couldn't go wrong.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #387
ThirdCoast312
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: north side
Posts: 229
Likes (Received): 0

I found this map and thought it was pretty damn cool and also pretty damn complicated. Is this the street plan for Lake Shore East in detail???

ThirdCoast312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #388
wickedestcity
BANNED
 
wickedestcity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,566
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
Edg25 is pretty right. In the communties it is in it is considered very professional and upper tier and well respected. It was kind of the Whole Foods before there was a Whole Foods (it does not have the the eco edge to it to the degree Whole Foods does though). I think there is one in Lake Forest as well if I am not mistaken. Sunset Foods at least in Northbrook is in the more WASP east area so the whole Jewish angle is not that true.
Treasure Island is not all that bad itself though and is more identifeid with the city though so either way you couldn't go wrong.
accualy Jewel is far more geared tward jews! both the one in highland park and the one on howard and kedzie have kosher deli's and the one on howard has a kosher fish market,kosher bakery, a few compleatly exclusively kosher isles ,and a kosher chines take out to top it off. even dominics is more jewish geared than that place. the one that moved from kedzei and pratt to lincolinwood on prat and mccormick has a kosher isle
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #389
Chi_Coruscant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 879
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedestcity
accualy Jewel is far more geared tward jews! both the one in highland park and the one on howard and kedzie have kosher deli's and the one on howard has a kosher fish market,kosher bakery, a few compleatly exclusively kosher isles ,and a kosher chines take out to top it off. even dominics is more jewish geared than that place. the one that moved from kedzei and pratt to lincolinwood on prat and mccormick has a kosher isle
I live nearby that area. I am not jewish, though. It makes sense that Lincolnwood and Skokies have large jewish population present there.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #390
NWside
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 454
Likes (Received): 2

Well obviously a Jewels is going to cater kosher foods in a Jewish neighborhood, don't expect to find those items in a Little Village Jewelsss....
NWside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #391
wickedestcity
BANNED
 
wickedestcity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,566
Likes (Received): 26

^my point was that Sunset Foods is not realy big in the jewish communities like urbansophist thinks
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:18 AM   #392
edsg25
BANNED
 
edsg25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,195
Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSophist
^ I think Sunset Foods is big with the Jewish community.
trust me. you don't want to try to shop there during the days leading up to Rosh Hanshona and Passover!
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:21 AM   #393
edsg25
BANNED
 
edsg25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,195
Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedestcity
accualy Jewel is far more geared tward jews! both the one in highland park and the one on howard and kedzie have kosher deli's and the one on howard has a kosher fish market,kosher bakery, a few compleatly exclusively kosher isles ,and a kosher chines take out to top it off. even dominics is more jewish geared than that place. the one that moved from kedzei and pratt to lincolinwood on prat and mccormick has a kosher isle
wicked, no argument....and I'm well aware of how big the kosher business is on the Deerfield Road store. But Sunset's appeal to more secular Jews is undeniable....particularly in HP and Nbk; and its effect on the business is more than enormous. Obvioiusly the orientation isn't the same in their LF and Libertyville stores.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:06 PM   #394
HowardL
Registered User
 
HowardL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 247
Likes (Received): 1

Here's a short quote from David Roeder's Sun-Times column:

" . . . . The Lakeshore East development downtown has signed the Treasure Island supermarket to anchor a retail center planned near Randolph and Columbus Drive. . . . "
HowardL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:27 PM   #395
spyguy
Expert
 
spyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,916
Likes (Received): 97

Yeah, that was posted a little bit above.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #396
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,186
Likes (Received): 882

I just came from the LSE sales center, and they told me that there are only about 5 units remaining to be sold in The Regata, and that The Chandler is 84% sold (contracts signed).

One of the reps also told me that she saw a rough, birds-eye rendering of the Studio Gang tower. She said that it looked wierd! She said that it had a wavy texture. When she said that it was wierd, I got pretty excited I don't know when the rendering will be released, but I will continue to work on it. I can't get it until the developers officially release it.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 12:43 AM   #397
spyguy
Expert
 
spyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,916
Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
I just came from the LSE sales center, and they told me that there are only about 5 units remaining to be sold in The Regata, and that The Chandler is 84% sold (contracts signed).

One of the reps also told me that she saw a rough, birds-eye rendering of the Studio Gang tower. She said that it looked wierd! She said that it had a wavy texture. When she said that it was wierd, I got pretty excited I don't know when the rendering will be released, but I will continue to work on it. I can't get it until the developers officially release it.
You delivered the goods. From news of good sales to the first description of what will be one awesome building. I'm even more excited about it looking weird and wavy. Hopefully other developers will see Gang's bold design and try and out-do each other.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 12:45 AM   #398
pottebaum
Minneapolis
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,032
Likes (Received): 4

Wavy?! Wierd?! Yes!
pottebaum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #399
Chi_Coruscant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 879
Likes (Received): 0


Given the location of Gang tower in fronting the upper Columbus Drive, north of BCBSIL building, I am wondering if it is just only one huge tower or just a half of a two-towers site as indicated in the original rendering. Is it sticking to the original plan or was it revised? Any idea?
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #400
spyguy
Expert
 
spyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,916
Likes (Received): 97

I thought it was just one of two massive towers. Not sure who's designing the second one though. Hopefully they'll outsource the work to another firm. I'm seeing a pattern developing here. Everytime they give a project to a firm other than Mr. L, it comes out great, like 340 or this tower.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu