daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #521
richardsonhomebuyers

Likes (Received): 1

Since you guys are talking about it.

richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #522
Chi_Coruscant

Likes (Received): 0

yup, that's the backside of Regatta. Ugly and vile. It doesn't help from Tides blocking views from some certain angles either.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:54 PM   #523
Chi_Coruscant

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roede...roeder011.html

The $4 billion Lakeshore East development north of Grant Park is entering the next stage of its growth. In about 30 days, developers expect to break ground on the complex's sixth high-rise.

Called the Tides, the 52-story building is designed by James Loewenberg, architect and partner in Lakeshore East with Joel Carlins. With 608 apartments, the Tides will arise at the northwest corner of Field Drive and East South Water just north of the 6-acre park that serves as the development's centerpiece.

The building furthers the developers' goal of mixing rental and for-sale housing. Loewenberg said the projected monthly rents, from about $1,400 for a studio to $2,800 for a two-bedroom, will be similar to what the owners get for the Shoreham, a tower immediately east of the Tides. The Shoreham is now 95 percent leased just a year after it opened, an uncommonly fast fill-up.

Also straight ahead for Lakeshore East is an 82-story building for residential units and perhaps a hotel. It's planned for the east side of Columbus Drive across from the Fairmont Hotel. The architect is Jeanne Gang of Chicago, and while early sketches have circulated on the Internet, Loewenberg said they aren't accurate.
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:44 PM   #524
Chi_Coruscant

The afternoon is about to end and nobody expressed a feeling about Aqua???

Something's wrong here......
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:31 AM   #525
ChicagoLover

Maybe Low-end-berg is just simply lying so that the cat isn't let out of the bag about the design before its finished.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:57 AM   #526
GTchicago
GTchicago

Hi everyone…I live at 400 East Randolph (Outer Drive East), and look over this new LSE development. It’s worlds better than the mud pit we had to look at while they were trying to get their butts in gear with this beautiful development, and much better than watching golf balls coming perilously close to our pool windows. So I’m a huge fan of what has become our backyard.

I was googling for info about the potential stores that we’ll have available to us (I can see them starting to build stuff where the stores WILL be) and stumbled upon this thread, so I thought I’d register and post pictures, since so many of you are asking.

After going through the many pages of this thread, a few things to address from points made here by other posters:

At one of the most recent New Eastside Association of Residents meeting, the school and development in general were discussed. Ogden (http://www.ogdenschool.org), our neighborhood Public School, is packed to capacity and soon it will be very limited to our immediate neighborhoods, forcing those that are less advantaged to go elsewhere. This new LSE School is still supposed to be built, but funding through the School District to fill the shell of the school LSE is supposed to build is the problem now. The commissioner of the CPSD said that ultimately, they’d like to make this new school K through 4, and Ogden would be 5 through 8. There are so many kids that live in our building alone (should see the lobby when the bus comes to pick up the kids at 400 East and Harbor Point…packed), and with the 5 other buildings that were here prior to LSE, there is more than enough kids to justify this new school. There is an open space between the Lanchaster and The Shoreham, but it is very narrow, so the school would have to go vertical. They said that for security reasons, they will not consider putting the school in one of the buildings, but who knows what they really will do. There are 950 units in our building alone (almost 3300 residents) and more families move in every day, so it’s really growing by leaps and bounds, and they are going to HAVE to build the school sooner or later, so I hope it’s sooner, in time for my 2 kids to be so close to their first years of their education.

A few of you talked about the ugly walls that are seen from the older, existing buildings from the park below. I completely agree. Many of us were worried how they would handle the wall beneath our pool. We were told by the developer that the roof line of the townhomes were not allowed to exceed the pool deck floor (7th floor of our building), so I know that one of those walls would be obscured by vertical rising town homes. Terrible perspective, but here is a pic of the end of the pool and pool deck (where the town homes would butt up against), to give perspective compared to the park below.

Here is where the market/stores will be, where the trucks are parked…directly behind the new 340 building, and to the back of The Buckingham…that’s the dog park on the right...can't wait for this to really get going:

And they just put the barriers to the new construction site on the Tides a week or so ago. Tons of hardhats out there today pointing and discussing things. I will miss my view of the Hancock, but I feel fortunate to be able to even live in this booming neighborhood, so I’m sure I’ll get over it sooner or later. I’ll be happy to take pics marking the progression of this building as it goes up, if you all are interested.

And with the potential for the Children’s Museum going in across from our building on Randolph (on top of where the Bicentennial Field house is now), many of us are so excited to be part of what is happening to our community. Millennium Park as a front yard was fabulous, but it just gets better and better. There are many residents here who hate the LSE development (they were happy when it was just a mud pit…and they had an unobstructed view of the Pier) and all the progress taking place, but as a mom and with our home in this community, I am so excited about everything taking place, and like many of you, am really impressed with what they’ve done with this plot of land so far. No, I don’t like the look of the Shoreham either, compared to the Lancaster, but we can’t win them all…this Tides building picture I like better, and I’m glad, because it’ll be what I’m looking at day in and day out.

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts and opinions about these buildings. We watched them (and heard them, but that goes with the territory) go up, and look forward to the new ones being build. It’s so exciting as a resident…I can’t imagine what it must be like to watch these new buildings go up for the architectural buffs among you. The builders have been respectful of the rest of us, for the most part (there are many complaints from the Buckingham residents about the new 340 building, but I hardly hear anything so I can’t substantiate), and they all have kept the surrounding residents informed about future plans…so if I hear anything new, I’ll let you know.

It’s been a pleasure reading this thread, and hope to talk with you all in the future. If you want more pictures, I’ll be happy to take/post them.

GT
GTchicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:16 AM   #527
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant

Something's wrong here......
if what you say is true , you made me a very happy person . i realy dislike the design ive see so far.
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:30 AM   #528
wickedestcity
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTchicago
Hi everyone…I live at 400 East Randolph (Outer Drive East), and look over this new LSE development. It’s worlds better than the mud pit we had to look at while they were trying to get their butts in gear with this beautiful development, and much better than watching golf balls coming perilously close to our pool windows. So I’m a huge fan of what has become our backyard.

I was googling for info about the potential stores that we’ll have available to us (I can see them starting to build stuff where the stores WILL be) and stumbled upon this thread, so I thought I’d register and post pictures, since so many of you are asking.

After going through the many pages of this thread, a few things to address from points made here by other posters:

At one of the most recent New Eastside Association of Residents meeting, the school and development in general were discussed. Ogden (http://www.ogdenschool.org), our neighborhood Public School, is packed to capacity and soon it will be very limited to our immediate neighborhoods, forcing those that are less advantaged to go elsewhere. This new LSE School is still supposed to be built, but funding through the School District to fill the shell of the school LSE is supposed to build is the problem now. The commissioner of the CPSD said that ultimately, they’d like to make this new school K through 4, and Ogden would be 5 through 8. There are so many kids that live in our building alone (should see the lobby when the bus comes to pick up the kids at 400 East and Harbor Point…packed), and with the 5 other buildings that were here prior to LSE, there is more than enough kids to justify this new school. There is an open space between the Lanchaster and The Shoreham, but it is very narrow, so the school would have to go vertical. They said that for security reasons, they will not consider putting the school in one of the buildings, but who knows what they really will do. There are 950 units in our building alone (almost 3300 residents) and more families move in every day, so it’s really growing by leaps and bounds, and they are going to HAVE to build the school sooner or later, so I hope it’s sooner, in time for my 2 kids to be so close to their first years of their education.

A few of you talked about the ugly walls that are seen from the older, existing buildings from the park below. I completely agree. Many of us were worried how they would handle the wall beneath our pool. We were told by the developer that the roof line of the townhomes were not allowed to exceed the pool deck floor (7th floor of our building), so I know that one of those walls would be obscured by vertical rising town homes. Terrible perspective, but here is a pic of the end of the pool and pool deck (where the town homes would butt up against), to give perspective compared to the park below.

Here is where the market/stores will be, where the trucks are parked…directly behind the new 340 building, and to the back of The Buckingham…that’s the dog park on the right...can't wait for this to really get going:

And they just put the barriers to the new construction site on the Tides a week or so ago. Tons of hardhats out there today pointing and discussing things. I will miss my view of the Hancock, but I feel fortunate to be able to even live in this booming neighborhood, so I’m sure I’ll get over it sooner or later. I’ll be happy to take pics marking the progression of this building as it goes up, if you all are interested.

And with the potential for the Children’s Museum going in across from our building on Randolph (on top of where the Bicentennial Field house is now), many of us are so excited to be part of what is happening to our community. Millennium Park as a front yard was fabulous, but it just gets better and better. There are many residents here who hate the LSE development (they were happy when it was just a mud pit…and they had an unobstructed view of the Pier) and all the progress taking place, but as a mom and with our home in this community, I am so excited about everything taking place, and like many of you, am really impressed with what they’ve done with this plot of land so far. No, I don’t like the look of the Shoreham either, compared to the Lancaster, but we can’t win them all…this Tides building picture I like better, and I’m glad, because it’ll be what I’m looking at day in and day out.

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts and opinions about these buildings. We watched them (and heard them, but that goes with the territory) go up, and look forward to the new ones being build. It’s so exciting as a resident…I can’t imagine what it must be like to watch these new buildings go up for the architectural buffs among you. The builders have been respectful of the rest of us, for the most part (there are many complaints from the Buckingham residents about the new 340 building, but I hardly hear anything so I can’t substantiate), and they all have kept the surrounding residents informed about future plans…so if I hear anything new, I’ll let you know.

It’s been a pleasure reading this thread, and hope to talk with you all in the future. If you want more pictures, I’ll be happy to take/post them.

GT
GT welcome and thanx for the info and pix. your certainly welcome here esspecialy if your posting pics and helping keep us updated. and its very interesting to hear about this project from an "insiders" point of veiw. this project is definately what to get excited about so we can all relate to to with that regard.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:40 PM   #529
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Thanks GTChicago!

I look forward to seeing what they do with the whole school thing.

Welcome to the forums
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:09 AM   #530
Frumie

Welcome GTchicago
A mom's perspective brings much to this thread; the retail and school components would otherwise get short shrift. Looking forward to your updates.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:01 PM   #531
ChiPsy

GT: I just had a fascinating experience while looking for the trucks you referred to in your 2nd & 3rd pics. I've lived here long enough to have become inured to the "wow" factor of seeing tall buildings, but trying to find the trucks in those photos, especially in the distant landscape (which is probably not where I was supposed to be looking), made me realize just how tall those buildings really are. They're giants -- and the juxtaposition of searching for human-scaled objects amidst them gave me a quick renewal of the euphoria of being startled and intimidated by the sheer size of this city.

Thanks for contributing...
ChiPsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:45 PM   #532
rgolch

Likes (Received): 73

Welcome GT Chicago!

Its always a treat when someone stubles onto the forum.
rgolch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #533
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant
If that IS the finished design for Aqua, I won't have a problem with it really. It looks like it'll tie together nicely the modern curves of the new buildings and the boxiness of IL Center next door.

The one I really don't like is the Shoreham.. but it's past the point to bitch about that...
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #534
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

^It's not too late. The Tides will look very similar.
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #535
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

^ True, very true. For some reason, though, I don't have as much problem with the Tides. It's just that the Shoreham looks like it belongs in Miami or Singapore or someplace tropical, not here. This problem doesn't seem to afflict any of the other buildings.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #536
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

How anyone could dislike what we've seen so far of Aqua is still beyond the comprehension of my little brain.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #537
wickedestcity
BANNED

and i cant understand how anyone cana ccualy look at this thing and not puke
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #538
ChicagoLover

Let's avoid premature judgments about Aqua. All we've seen is a picture of a cardboard model, the accuracy of which is in dispute, unless other people have more information?

Last edited by ChicagoLover; March 7th, 2006 at 03:02 AM.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #539
Chi_Coruscant

I like Aqua. It is innovative and original. It sets as a depature from typical rectangular or boxy design we have seen in past years.
Old March 7th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #540
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoLover
Let's avoid premature judgments about Aqua. All we've seen is a picture of a cardboard model, the accuracy of which is in dispute, unless other people have more information?
No dispute. We've got two people who've seen the plans (BVic and Chi. Shawn). The plans have matched the model. Closed case as far as I'm concerned.

While the model is so-so, I imagine Aqua will be covered in - obviously - aqua colored glass. Imagine the model with that material and you'll quickly realize this is going to be a good one.