daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2004, 05:09 AM   #41
Blackbelt Jones
Minty Fresh Flavor!

Likes (Received): 0

Awesome stealth pics, Geoff!!! Thanks for sharin'. It must have been a blast walking around that site... (with those empty dirt streets, it kind o' has an "Omega Man" quality to it. )
Blackbelt Jones no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:36 AM   #42
Rivernorth
Vertigo City

Amazing pictures!

What is really begining to hit me is how DENSE and MASSIVE this project really is. Randolph street east of the Aon has always been bleak and dead. I wonder if, once LSE is complete, will become a busy downtown street? Same applies to the eastern tip of Wacker Dr. I hope that the entire LSE neighborhood will be vibrant and full of pedestrians and cars on the streets, instead of a quiet residential 'highrise suburb', so to speak. Im leaning on that it will. I got very high hopes for LSE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJphx
great photos you got for us!

so what else is going to be open when residents start moving into the towers? I would have thought that it would be a good idea to have more than two towers ready in addition to the townhomes, the park, and the retail ready before _anyone_ moved in... so that it wouldn't seem so much like a construction site.
Harbor Park, as well as the new LSE school, will be already open and ready by the time the first residents begin moving in to the Lancaster and Shoreham. Im not sure about any retail will be available then. The townhomes will be well under construction by the time the Lancaster gets flooded with moving vans.
Old September 14th, 2004, 04:41 PM   #43
itsnotrequired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivernorth
What is really begining to hit me is how DENSE and MASSIVE this project really is. Randolph street east of the Aon has always been bleak and dead. I wonder if, once LSE is complete, will become a busy downtown street? Same applies to the eastern tip of Wacker Dr. I hope that the entire LSE neighborhood will be vibrant and full of pedestrians and cars on the streets, instead of a quiet residential 'highrise suburb', so to speak. Im leaning on that it will. I got very high hopes for LSE.
Unless some significant changes happen, I doubt you will see a "busy downtown street" scenario on Randolph. The south side of the street east of Aon is all park or open space. There is the Richard J. Daley Bicentennial Plaza and to the east of that is the Richard & Annette Bloch Cancer Survivor Park. The north side of the street is either residential high-rises or soon to be high-rises (340 on the Park). The only spot I could see any real potential for some development is above lower Randolph. Upper Randolph "narrows" at the main enterance to LSE so lower Randolph is "exposed" east of there. The road could be decked and shops, restaurants, etc. placed over the top of it. This would only be a block long though. I suppose some development could happen at the intersection of Harbor Drive and upper Randolph but that property is part of the large condo complex there. Again, some changes would be required to get some stuff in there.

Don't get me wrong, I believe there will be plenty of pedestrian traffic in the area but I'm afraid there just won't be much retail.
itsnotrequired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #44
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Actually, I wouldn't bank on the school being finished in time for first occupancy. LSE School is supposed to occupy the northeast corner of Harbor Park, which, as you can see from some of the pictures, has already been filled in with dirt and trees. It looks to me like they're going to build the park, and then come back a few years later and put the school in when the demand is there.

As far as people living in a perpetual construction site for the next 15 years, they should be well aware of what they're getting themselves into before they ever sign on the dotted line, so, I certainly don't blame the developer.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 03:30 AM   #45
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Amazing pictures!

What is really begining to hit me is how DENSE and MASSIVE this project really is. Randolph street east of the Aon has always been bleak and dead. I wonder if, once LSE is complete, will become a busy downtown street? Same applies to the eastern tip of Wacker Dr. I hope that the entire LSE neighborhood will be vibrant and full of pedestrians and autos on the streets, instead of a quiet residential 'highrise suburb', so to speak. Im leaning on that it will. I got very high hopes for LSE.
I agree. The neighborhood looks like it will be self-sufficient and walkable. I believe it will be full of pedestrians. Remember, approximately 10,000 people on about 30 acres of land, with a school! If LSE were built as just residential towers with no retail or a school, then I could expect highrise suburbia. But I think that will not be the case here.

Regarding transit, I think people will use CTA buses. Even people with money who own cars will probably use it to get their jobs in the loop. I mean seriously, who wants to spend 10-15$ or more per day to park in a garage? Besides, 2/3 of all transit users in the Chicago area own cars!
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 04:30 AM   #46
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Let's give him a big round of applause
Wu-Gambino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #47
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Thank you thank you! *bows*

But seriously, no takers on another little excursion this weekend?
Old September 16th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #48
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

geoff,

thanks for sharing these fantastic photos. What a development. I get a kick out of seeing the oldest building in the area (what once was Outer Drive East) interrelating to all the new around it. I remember when ODE was out there on the tip of Randolph Street, all by its lonesome. I'm afraid I'm showing my age.

Here's a question I asked before but nobody was able to answer (I'll try again): does anyone have any info. the marketplace at LSE? I've only scene the sketchiet and most incomplete pix on the net for it (through the developers website). ANyone know more about it?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #49
edsg25
BANNED

Geoff,

Here's a warning for you. We better not hear any stories of you being in the S-T building, taking pictures, when the building is imploded. Although I'm sure such pictures could easily Trump the ones you took of Lakeshore East!
Old September 16th, 2004, 07:08 PM   #50
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
This article is more about Millenium Park's influence on some Loop residential megaprojects, but still has some good info on LSE...

Chicago - It takes a park to raise a village
The Hillary Clinton Memorial Severed ***** Park

??????
Old September 17th, 2004, 07:02 PM   #51
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Rofl, I'll be sure to steer clear of the S-T during demo... but, rest assured if that shit happens during the week... I WILL be taking a day off of school for it!

Regarding the marketplace, I haven't seen any pictures either So, I can't help ya!
Old September 18th, 2004, 02:38 AM   #52
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
The eastern-most portion of the site (where I assume Target will be):
Based on the site plan, it actually appears like the area you are talking about in this picture ^ will be the site of several highrises. I doubt that the Target will be there. Below is the site plan for Lakeshore East, I apologize it is difficult to read. But if you notice, the eastern-most portion is where a ring of highrises will be located.

According to the lady at the sales center, most of the retail will be located at the southwest portion of the site. Although, my understanding is that the Shoreham will have ground level retail
Old September 18th, 2004, 07:51 AM   #53
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Interesting. That's good to know and I appreciate the head's up It was all speculation on my part anyway!
Old September 18th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #54
edsg25
BANNED

There will be a retail component to LSE, but it will hardly go the direction of being a Target (and why would it...how far away is Roosevelt and Clark?).

There is supposed to be a marketplace setting with the type of upscale stores (gourmet market) that would be consistent with LSE. The website for the development has a sketches of what this complex could look like, as well as the company developing it (which also contains the same sketches...very sketchy sketches...as the LSE website does)

My guess: this complex will be a scaled down, neighborhood oriented development akin to River East Center (North Pier) with some competition for Fox & Obel.
Old September 18th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #55
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Well, last I heard... there was definately a Target coming to the development. Could just be rumor though.
Old September 19th, 2004, 12:21 AM   #56
edsg25
BANNED

I went by Lk Sh E today. I don't know if Geoff's pix show this (took too long to load for me to find out), but trees are already going in to the park's NE corner (I don't believe I say them in his pix).

Also, it looks like grading work is being done for the townhouses that surround the park.

One thing that surprised me on this project: why is the park and some of the new high rises submerged to the lowest level of LSE/Ill Ctr? Is there a reason why the park, the town houses, and the new highrises weren't built up to the same level (upper Wacker, upper Randolph) as the rest of the area, instead of depressed in the middle with a hill?
Old September 19th, 2004, 07:21 AM   #57
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

They are being built at what was the grade level after the golf-course was ousted. I can only imagine that the cost would have been prohibitive to fill the area to the level of Upper, or even Middle Wacker. I just hope that they put some sort of sidewalk system in for people to have direct access from the upper levels of Wacker Drive directly into the buildings (without having to go down a set of stairs)... but, this probably won't happen
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #58
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Does this mean no frontage onto Wacker? Ich, I'm suddenly having scary thoughts of Corbusier-ian suburbs in the sky...
Old September 19th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #59
edsg25
BANNED

the frontage on Wacker should actually be similiar to the frontage on Randolph; the intention is to create an E. Wacker streetwall. The depression is only in the middle of the development. As geoff said, the new park and surrounding land come off of the old golf course.

I have a sense that the building with the archway on Wacker will be the point of access from the park area to the river.

The only negatives I see with the sunken area is that it means some uphill walks. Also, in LSE's ad's which show the park, the walls of the higher portions that surround it like bare. Since the development is north of Madison, I'm hoping they borrow a page from the Cubs and have Wrigley style vines growing down them.

When completed, I wonder if they will make a more user friendly approach for pedestrians crossing the river on the Columbus Dr bridge. The current set-up, closely tied to the service-oriented lower level streets of Illinois Center, is a most unpleasant experience.

Wouldn't you love to see an upper level pedestrian bridge built connecting the development to River East, one that would be aligned in such a way to give a great view of the fountain shooting water across the river? A pipe dream, of course.
Old September 20th, 2004, 02:01 AM   #60
The Urban Politician
The City

Building frontage on Wacker will be for show, only. I think there will be both auto and pedestrian access to LSE from Wacker (through the arch), but most of the activity will be on the interior. I don't blame the architects for this--I mean, how do you provide pedestrian activity for a 3-level roadway?

I am, however, concerned about pedestrian access from Columbus. But I have faith that some sort of connections/staircases will be built. Not a big issue. Supposedly, LSE has won some big national awards for urban design, so surely it must have been well planned..