daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #581
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

I still like it, but it keeps shrinking. 823' now.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #582
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3624

Will those extensive canopy be used as balcony propose aswell? or just for decoration.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #583
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Old March 18th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #584
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
Will those extensive canopy be used as balcony propose aswell? or just for decoration.
They're being used as balconies, for aesthetics and for sun shading as well.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #585
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

edit**
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #586
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

Correct me if I wrong here folks but did they say that some balconies would extend out up to 12ft on Aqua? I mean if this is the case and assuming that 12ft is all balcony that means your view on those particular floors would be terribly obstructed when trying to look out and or down from your living areas...right?
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:31 AM   #587
danthediscoman

I received confirmation from the sales representative from Aqua that they will begin taking reservations for Aqua residences on April 8, 2006. They did not specify price ranges but I would assume they would start around 500 or so. None the less good news for a building Im now becoming more and more fond of...Also does anyone know the answer to that previous post I made^??????
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:35 PM   #588
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthediscoman
Correct me if I wrong here folks but did they say that some balconies would extend out up to 12ft on Aqua? I mean if this is the case and assuming that 12ft is all balcony that means your view on those particular floors would be terribly obstructed when trying to look out and or down from your living areas...right?
The point for having some of the balconies extend up to 12 feet out was in fact to give the residences on the lower floors better views. Because of the density of skyscrapers in the area if your 12' out you will have a slight view around some of those other buildings. Don't worry about looking down, look left or right and you'll be all good.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:14 PM   #589
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Well, I see his point Butler... from within the units, the views will be pretty limited because the balcony extends so far out. I'd also be very concerned with natural daylight. I've got to give Studio Gang the benefit of the doubt on this one though, and assume that they've somehow come up with a very creative solution that is escaping my feeble little brain at this point.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:15 AM   #590
wickedestcity
BANNED

well think about it.because of the flowing nature of the swelling balconies , the baconies emediatly near the one you would be standing on is within the same relitive distance from the building , only swill it realy become a diferance 5 or mabey even 20 floors down or up or 5-20 yards over to the side. when the balconies that are jutting out that far are so far away the blocking effect your worried about becomes significantly diminished. even the most jutting out balconie,although may block the veiw of a building or two, it will not realy be of much obstruction to the overall veiws.the understand this idea , put your hand in front of your eyes , you cant see anything , but as you slowly pull your hand further away from your eyes , the more you can see and the less your hand blocks your veiws of your surroundings
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:13 AM   #591
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Thanks for trying to explain it to me like I was a two year old. Have you ever lived in a building with recessed balconies? You can't see shit except for straight out from WITHIN your unit. I'm not concerned with the view from on the balconies, and I'm not concerned with adjacent balconies... I'm concerned what those people that have 10+ foot balconies will see from inside their unit. Still don't beleive me? Go to Marina City and tell them you want to rent an apartment so you can get inside. Let me know what you can see from inside the unit: the answer... not much. You can only see directly in front of you, not up or down.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:44 AM   #592
itsnotrequired

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
Thanks for trying to explain it to me like I was a two year old. Have you ever lived in a building with recessed balconies? You can't see shit except for straight out from WITHIN your unit. I'm not concerned with the view from on the balconies, and I'm not concerned with adjacent balconies... I'm concerned what those people that have 10+ foot balconies will see from inside their unit. Still don't beleive me? Go to Marina City and tell them you want to rent an apartment so you can get inside. Let me know what you can see from inside the unit: the answer... not much. You can only see directly in front of you, not up or down.
You mean your not two years old?

I know exactly what you are saying. Those with deep balconies will have a "tunnel" effect when looking out of their unit. Even if there are no solid, shared "walls" with adjacent balconies, looking up or down will be difficult. Sort of like visiting Wrigley and sitting way back in the lower level, under the luxury boxes. You can't see pop flies.
itsnotrequired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:23 AM   #593
wickedestcity
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
whooo chill man , i missunderstood your question.i was just tryin to be helpfull
Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:51 AM   #594
danthediscoman

To be honest I don't really see how the architects can have a solution to the shade problem. You would feel like your living in a cave, even with an 8 foot balcony, the sun would be diminished drastically in your actual living areas. I sure hope this does not put a damper on their sales...Im very excited to see how they are going to "spin" these units with 12foot balconies at the sales center...And looking at the plan it seems the units with the massive balconies are higher up...Im wondering if these would actually be cheaper?
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:50 PM   #595
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

^-- That's why I was so curious to see what their "solution" (if there is one) could possibly be. As far as hurting the sales is concerned, I wouldn't expect it to make much of a difference. Most people would never think of such a thing and would simply leap at the idea of a 12' deep balcony. By the time they realize that they're living in a tunnel, it will already be too late.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:11 PM   #596
wickedestcity
BANNED

truth be told , even though i wouldnt have an emediate veiw of the world , i know that if i take a few steps out for fresh air i can get one of most majestic veiws in the world. people might want that sence of privacy as well. so if they have there 10ft deep tunnel vison inducing balcony , that would provide this for them . and at the same time thay can get the nice veiws they may be craving , once in a while by steping out for a breath of fresh air, which mind you will add to the wow factor , since its not like the every day ho-hum veiw you see by just sitting on your living room couch. it becomes more of an adventure to get a nice veiw. theres also the plus side to the condo that its a landmark ground breaking design, luxuriouse, downtown, near mill. park ,mich. ave., state street, the river, and all kinds of cool downtown things. dont forget no everyone cares to have a the most spectaculare veiw . many are living dowtown to be near everything and its the perfect location for that .and to them the veiw is simply a nice bonus
Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:20 PM   #597
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

The balconies aren't a uniform width and disappear completely at certain points - my sense is that many units will have both a balcony and a straight window view. You might be able to look out of one apartment exposure and see the balcony melt away as it narrows down into nothingness. In addition, because the balcony dimensions mutate from floor to floor, the balcony might have no balcony plate above it - this would mitigate the "tunnel effect", eg Marina City.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #598
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

With all due respect wickedest... those are some horrible arguments. People wouldn't pay upwards of a million dollars if they realized they were going to have a 'sometimes' view. They want the view all the time. Not to mention, the view is only the secondary portion of my concern, primarily, I think these units are going to be very dark.

Now, wrabbit brings up some interesting ideas, and this may very well be the solution that Gang used to mitigate the problem; but, if it isn't... well, then like I stated before, these are going to be some very dark living conditions.
Old March 24th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #599
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Loopy; June 16th, 2010 at 10:34 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #600
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

I have to plead ignorance on the nature of Aqua's balconies, but is it just possible that the real differential between balcony size from unit to unit (going up and down) is far less than it may appear to be?

Also, is it possible that if some part of a unit has a large balcony with sunlight blockage, another room(s) in that unit has neither balcony...nor blockage?

It woud seem to me that the architects who are concerned about the over-all appearance of the building don't have the luxury of ignoring how that dramatic exterior affects the individual units that they have to sell to the public. Wouldn't it be absurd to assume that they wouldn't look at every one of these unbelievably expensive units to determine if the balacony arrangement creates a viable piece of sellable property?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote