daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #701
Chitowner245

Likes (Received): 0

Yeah, this building is terrible.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #702
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

FYI - Spyguy's post on the first page of this thread has been made completely up-to-date.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:25 AM   #703
ChgoLvr83

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
Yeah, this building is terrible.
As is the entire development except 340. Cant judge Aqua yet. Where is the $2 billion dollar price tag going in this project? Cause it sure as hell isnt going into design and quality materials. Maybe "Aqua 2" and the rumored Arquitectonica tower will begin to help this project.
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #704
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

From 3-11

Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #705
SGMD1

Last edited by SGMD1; September 21st, 2013 at 05:51 PM.
SGMD1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #706
prelude91

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChgoLvr83 View Post
As is the entire development except 340. Cant judge Aqua yet. Where is the $2 billion dollar price tag going in this project? Cause it sure as hell isnt going into design and quality materials. Maybe "Aqua 2" and the rumored Arquitectonica tower will begin to help this project.
i agree. most of the designs are bland.

my biggest beef though, is how dull the area feels. i know its still u/c but i have a feeling that the whole lake shore east community will feel very suburban when it is completed.
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #707
urban_addict
Craving density 24/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
i agree. most of the designs are bland.

my biggest beef though, is how dull the area feels. i know its still u/c but i have a feeling that the whole lake shore east community will feel very suburban when it is completed.
If by suburban you mean sterile I completely agree. Maybe in 20 years LSE will more exciting... we'll see.
urban_addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #708
prelude91

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_addict View Post
If by suburban you mean sterile I completely agree. Maybe in 20 years LSE will more exciting... we'll see.
yeah, it just seems so isolated from the rest of the city. i cant imagine there will be much pedestrian traffic in the neighborhood b/c the streets dont lead anywhere.
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #709
chicago23

well jeez...noboday has even moved in yet to most of these buildings..give it some time to become a neighborhood. Also does anyone know is the regatta being painted white on the exposed concreates areas? I think its looking somehwhat better white than that tannish color.
chicago23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #710
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Nope, Regatta's NOT being painted. The horrid yellow brick you see is the horrid yellow brick you get.

The Tides, from the weekend:

image hosted on flickr
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #711
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Banality persists. The crown of the now-topped Chandler. Lousy name. Lousy tower.

image hosted on flickr
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #712
trvlr70

I hope I'm not alone, but I actually don't mind The Regatta. I love the big curve of blue glass at the top. Good or bad...it is quite interesting.

Apart from Harbor Point and 340 on the Park, there isn't much great architecture out there.

As far as the neighborhood is concerned, hopefully along with more residents will come more variation and choice.

It won't happen overnight, however.

Last edited by trvlr70; March 20th, 2007 at 06:41 PM.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #713
ChgoLvr83

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
I hope I'm not alone, but I actually don't mind The Regatta. I love the big curve of blue glass at the top. Good or bad...it is quite interesting.

Apart from Harbor Point and 340 on the Park, there isn't much great architecture out there.

As far as the neiborhood is concerned, hopefully along with more residents will come more variation and choice.

It won't happen overnight, however.
I find it to be the worst offender. Had they carried the shape of the top 1/3 to the ground level, it wouldnt be so damned wrong. But when you have someone that oversees the project thats so incredibly cheap and has no vision at all, Lakeshore East (as of now) is what you get. Its a glassy version of what happened to River North. Ugh.

Great. Now Im getting nervous about Aqua and the future big towers of this project. If theyre just going to be larger versions of what we have, I'd rather not see anything at all. Can you tell that I hate this project?

EDIT: Oh shit, Im just now seeing the base to the Regatta. Is my hatred toward Low-end-berg just? Or am I hating the wrong guy? Who is responsible for this?
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #714
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Umm... I would say it's pretty justified. The guy didn't earn that nickname by accident.
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #715
Euclidw
Chicagocentric

Not so bad

OK maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually like the lakeshore east development. I think there are some beautiful buildings (e.g. 340 & Aqua) some pretty nice buildings (e.g. Lancaster & Chandler) & some bland filler buildings (e.g. Shoreham, Tides).

So far there is one design that I think just went wrong & that is the Regatta, it just doesn't work to me. I agree w/ ChgoLvr83. Its almost like they had a great design (the curved wedge) then they calculated the cost & tried to tweak it, but they would have been better off putting something more like Lancaster or Chandler there (in my opinion nothing cutting edge, but still aesthetically pleasing).

It seems like what the developer is attempting to do is have a project where the buildings in the best locations are really something special & everything else just fills in the space. I don't have a real problem with this. I really want to see what is coming in between Tides & Shoreham, then what will be just east of Chandler. I think these two buildings along with 340 & Aqua should be the really special buildings in the development & everything else will just be background noise. Look & the buildings that are currently in the area, buckingham, 175 Harbor & Parkshore. I think everything in LSE is an improvement over those.

Does anyone have any info on the N. Field Blvd. building?

Finally on the lack of life in the community. I think this wll change once the community retail center opens. There will be restaurants, stores, etc. In addition once Aqua is complete the area will be linked to the activity to the west (which will be increasing with the Mandarin & Park Millenium). It is also an easy walk across the river to river north. I think in 1-2 years this will be a lively area, but I agree over the next 12-18 months it will still be rather sterile & lifeless (which is one of the things current residents like about the area (a quiet corner of the city), but it certainly isn't for everyone).
Euclidw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #716
robituss

I swear practically all of lakeshore east could easily be transported to Miami and they wouldn't even blink. I dunno if Lowenburg got his ideas from there or what, but whenever I pass by on LSD I get reminded of that city and their new buildings. I guess if you like this modern glassy beach resort style, (with even the swirl on top ie. regatta), its cool. To me even 340 OTP is pretty similar, its just a little taller. Aqua will be the one building that is way above par for this development.

To tell the truth though, I dont mind these buildings so much either. Sure its suburbia-in-a-city, complete with the nice park and cutoff from everywhere, but at least its vertical. Its better than a golf course anyways.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #717
Euclidw
Chicagocentric

Agreed, much better than a golf course! I think 340 feels more agressive than anything in Miami. Something about the sharp angles gives it more of a Chicago feel. I also love the fact that it looks like a different building from every angle!
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #718
Euclidw
Chicagocentric

.#

Last edited by Euclidw; March 20th, 2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: double post
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:09 AM   #719
Frumie

Please don't take these observations as ones of approval of Lakeshore East, they're just observations, nothing more. I'm really opposed to the mix of glass and brick exteriors; the only thing about their proliferation in this development is the possibility that they will be masked by future structures built along side these brick facades; there's much yet to be built out in there. The name Chandler is of the same nautical theme as the Aqua, Tides, etc.; a chandler outfits sailing ships after long voyages. Here's my gripe: the first renderings of this huge project were from SOM, and while it had a sort of Rockefeller look, still it had some excitement about it. Nothing today even reminds of that initial image. What became of SOM's design? Did they butt out and leave it to Lowenberg? ??
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:14 AM   #720
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

I believe that one of the earlier buildings (Lancaster?) was not built by Lowenburg, maybe it was SOM... IMO thats the best one, although the Tides isn't too bad...
BorisMolotov está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote