daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2007, 02:17 AM   #721
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

Ok, just checked Emporis; the Lancaster was a joint venture with SOM and Lowenburg, and afterwards, it was left to Lowenburg.
BorisMolotov está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:55 AM   #722
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumie View Post
Here's my gripe: the first renderings of this huge project were from SOM, and while it had a sort of Rockefeller look, still it had some excitement about it. Nothing today even reminds of that initial image. What became of SOM's design? Did they butt out and leave it to Lowenberg? ??
The renderings by SOM were for a mixed-use development. The developers of LSE have apparently decided to go all residential, so they ditched the Battery Park City feel and went with a Miami feel instead.

Although I REALLY wish they had kept this mixed use, to keep people on the streets at all times of the day, I understand that that's just not realistic with today's office market. Too bad - employment centers might have justified a transit line to serve LSE/Streeterville. I know eventually we'll get a subway on Fairbanks of some kind, even if it is just an underground busway.

Hopefully the Arquitectonica proposal, or one of the two buildings flanking it, will include an office component. (This area lies between Swissotel and the Regatta along Wacker).

Last edited by ardecila; March 21st, 2007 at 06:04 AM.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:06 AM   #723
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by robituss View Post
Sure its suburbia-in-a-city, complete with the nice park and cutoff from everywhere, but at least its vertical. Its better than a golf course anyways.
^ That's an overused phrase (suburb-in-city).

I don't see it here. LSE's circular drive isn't really a cul-de-sac (it connects both to Randolph and Lower Wacker, if I"m correct). It has a gillion zillion godzillion times more density than any suburb anywhere, and will have mixed uses (residential/school/retail/some office space). It may not have much office space, but then it sits next door to Illinois Center anyhow.

What are we calling suburban about this thing?

Oh, and I think we can all agree that it is light years of an improvement over that golf course
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM   #724
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

^I guess the sterile factor (like urban addict mentioned). Maybe its just so immaculate, rich, and nice, and has no gritty city feel to it.

Its too early to judge of course, we'll have to see how it pans out with actual residents, businesses and the school, which will take time. But its definitely not your typical urban neighborhood, so its natural to associate it with the suburbs. Its probably a new breed though altogether.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:21 AM   #725
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I believe the school component has been terminated, making this project exclusively residential/retail. It's a shame, too. This will only further restrict the market for downtown condos, discouraging families.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:58 AM   #726
Frumie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I believe the school component has been terminated, making this project exclusively residential/retail. It's a shame, too. This will only further restrict the market for downtown condos, discouraging families.
Where's the mayor on this one? Especially if the school was a gift to the city from the developer?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:47 AM   #727
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Are you sure about this? I would think that a host of people will be totally pissed if true, and it slightly jeopardizes their future sales success.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:51 AM   #728
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

To be completely honest it's just something I read somewhere, either here or @ SSP. What level was the planned school, and where is it located?

There are a ton of comparisons you can make between this and Battery Park City, aren't there?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:58 AM   #729
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
^ Eh?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:17 AM   #730
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

A convenient, nearby school, especially an elementary school, would be a big incentive for parents with small children to live in the development. These parents, understandably, would not send their children alone across the Loop to school, and many would not have time to walk with them.

There are other kinds of home buyers besides wealthy single men and women, and I welcome any attempt to tap into those markets in the city, especially right downtown. If we do this, then we can perhaps create even larger pools of demand for downtown residences.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:46 PM   #731
Frumie

Quote:
To be completely honest it's just something I read somewhere, either here or @ SSP. What level was the planned school, and where is it located?
What I read elsewhere and some time ago was a relocation of the school within the complex that set it farther back from the park. I also read that a few yellow school busses arrive daily to take children from the complex to the Ogden Elementary and other nearby schools. Could it actually be cancelled and escape media attention?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:32 PM   #732
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

When I went to the sales center last summer, they told us the school would be just off the NE corner of the park, shoved between the buildings. Looking at the space, I can't imagine a BIG school there, but there's certainly space for something. At the moment, it's just flat grass, buried between multiple buildings.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:03 PM   #733
trvlr70

I heard that, too. If I can remember, the school is supposed to go in the corner between the Lancaster and the Shoreham. I've never heard anything about the cancelling of the elementary school plans. Of course, if you were trying to market condos, I'd hardly be offering up that tidbit of information.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #734
Reaperducer

Likes (Received): 7

I've noticed for the last week or so the Chandler crews have been working hard to clear the debris from the land to the south that they were using for storage.

Is that the location of the next LSE building going up (aside from Aqua, of course)?

Also, as for the school -- there was a public meeting about it just a couple of weeks ago and during the election I remember seeing some literature stating that the school was required by the city in order for LSE to get approval. Of course, things change, but that's the last I heard on the topic.
Reaperducer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #735
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I found this in a Christmas-present book that I just cracked a few days ago.

Behold, the art-deco glory of Lakeshore East as designed by Holabird & Roche.

This would have been built if the stock market had not crashed in 1929. Since this is just a plan and not a detailed architectural rendering, the buildings fronting the park probably would not have been quite so monotonous, but the sheer amount of great, limestone and brick 1920s architecture is mind-boggling.

From the looks of it, this would also have contained Chicago's tallest, a structure a bit smaller than the Empire State Building.
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #736
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

I wish that plan would've gone forward. I'd much rather see Manhattanization in LSE than the loose, incoherent group of below-average buildings that presently occupies the site.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #737
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 03:44 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #738
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
I found this in a Christmas-present book that I just cracked a few days ago.

Behold, the art-deco glory of Lakeshore East as designed by Holabird & Roche.

This would have been built if the stock market had not crashed in 1929. Since this is just a plan and not a detailed architectural rendering, the buildings fronting the park probably would not have been quite so monotonous, but the sheer amount of great, limestone and brick 1920s architecture is mind-boggling.

From the looks of it, this would also have contained Chicago's tallest, a structure a bit smaller than the Empire State Building.

without the crash, would there still have been enough need for that type of density at that location? or actually, anywhere downtown? seems like it would have remained far more a plan than a reality either way.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #739
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Ed, there would have been a tremendous demand at the time. Chicago was growing fast, but the concept of a suburban office park did not even exist (except in the mind of Le Corbusier). Don't forget, Chicago had enough demand in this time period to line N. Michigan Avenue with Beaux-Arts and Deco buildings, and that was just the residential side.

Also, there was a lot more speculative construction in cities. The Empire State Building, built in 1931, remained mostly empty for years and didn't make money until 1950.

From what I understand, it was actually encouraged by the Illinois Central Railroad. By this time, shipping traffic on Lake Michigan was slowing for good as it got replaced with rail and truck traffic, and the IC realized this as their profits started to fall. So they commissioned Holabird & Root to plan an extension of the business district onto their terminal property. This was in 1927. Two years later, the market crashed, and there weren't too many banks willing to finance construction.

Why Chicago didn't try to get WPA funding for this, we'll never know.
Old March 25th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #740
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Ed, there would have been a tremendous demand at the time. Chicago was growing fast, but the concept of a suburban office park did not even exist (except in the mind of Le Corbusier). .
ardecila, i'm sure the demand was there. but the availability of that slice of land east of Michigan Ave and south of the river wouldn't have warranted more construction than what we already had. Whatever would have gone up on the IC air rights must have ended up at another Loop location, right?

the only thing that the LSE site did was add developable land that was no across either the main or south branch.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote