daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #761
trvlr70

Likes (Received): 0

^
Of the renders I've seen, it appears as if your views will be preserved.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #762
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Well, assuming they stay as townhomes, they really can't go any taller. Nobody's going to be willing to deal with owning a five story home.
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #763
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

May 23, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #764
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

It never ceases to amaze me how much better these towers look from the north and east than they do from the south or west. LSE actually barely makes me want to vomit from this vantage .
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #765
Frumie

While still skeptical about this development's prospects, I'm hoping that at least with its complete build out many of the objectionable sight lines will be obscured.
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #766
NittanyBLUE2002
JoePa4Eva

Likes (Received): 4

Where was that picture taken from, and what are those two glass buildings on the left?
NittanyBLUE2002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #767
Nat76

Likes (Received): 1

This photo was taken from just north of the river, looking south on the project near McClurg and the future location of the Chicago Spire.

The glass building on the left is the Chandler and the one to the right is the Regatta.
Nat76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #768
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
Well, assuming they stay as townhomes, they really can't go any taller. Nobody's going to be willing to deal with owning a five story home.
in the current elevatored (did I invent a word?) town house era, I'm not so sure.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #769
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Domestic elevators are still quite rare. I simply don't see it happening.
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #770
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
in the current elevatored (did I invent a word?) town house era, I'm not so sure.
I know of many four- and five-storey buildings vintage 1920;s-1940's in Hyde Park and a few I've been in in Lincoln Park that are "elevatored." For such pricey townhouses, this feature would seem appropriate even.
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #771
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumie View Post
I know of many four- and five-storey buildings vintage 1920;s-1940's in Hyde Park and a few I've been in in Lincoln Park that are "elevatored." For such pricey townhouses, this feature would seem appropriate even.
so would an observatory on top with telescopes and souvenier stands!
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:59 PM   #772
MWR

You're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
I'm curious as to why these townhomes sold so much better than the at-grade equivalents in River East. There are still a few of those remaining years after the fact, if I'm not mistaken.
Especially since the Ogden Slip townhomes are completely sold out!
MWR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:49 AM   #773
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

The Parkhomes ARE at grade. It's the buildings around them that aren't.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #774
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://chicagomag.typepad.com/dealestate/

Housing Bulletin — An Update from Chicago’s Lakeshore East

Over the past five years, seven high-rise residential towers have gone up at Lakeshore East, the 28-acre development west of Lake Shore Drive between Randolph Street and Wacker Drive. Until now, the development has seemed a little bereft of life, even though those seven high-rises encircle a six-acre park filled with fountains, lawns, and play areas for children and dogs. But all that is about to change now that construction has begun on the so-called Parkhomes: 24 single-family homes, some lined up like townhouses and some stacked atop one another. They are the first of at least 45 street-level homes to be built around the park, says James Loewenberg, the co-CEO of the Magellan Development Group.

Though a latter stage of the project, these new homes aren’t late-comers, Loewenberg says, but an integral element of Lakeshore East. Without them, he says, the whole development would “have a canyon-like effect that would put people off it. So much of the focus of Lakeshore East has been high-rises, but we need to have something at human scale around the edge of the park.” Plans for a school north of the first Parkhomes are still in the works, Loewenberg says, but construction on a planned Treasure Island grocery to their west may begin at the end of summer.

Lakeshore East’s master plan calls for some 4,900 housing units, of which 1,436 have been sold so far, says Tricia Van Horn, Magellan’s marketing vice president. The first Parkhomes, priced between $1.7 million and $2.5 million, are being built on a slim L-shaped parcel in the southeast corner of the development. They will all face the park and have a Randolph Street high-rise as a backdrop. The first Parkhome houses were supposed to be delivered by fall 2006, but construction did not begin until late May 2007. In a slowing real-estate market, introducing 24 new high-end homes may seem risky, but Loewenberg professes to be unconcerned. “We’ve already sold eight or nine of them,” he says.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #775
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

6-9-2007

Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #776
Regatta07

Hello All,
This is my first post. I am moving to Chicago from Michigan and I just got a place in The Regatta. I love it. I simply have one question regarding location and transportation. I have not moved in yet, but I would like to know:

1.) Where can I shop for groceries?
2.) Is there a bus stop in the area? (I work on Monroe and Canal)
3.) Closest "L" stop?

Thanks!
Regatta07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #777
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

1) The Dominick's across the river is your closest shopping (it's a good hike)

2) The number 60 Blue Island bus goes into LSE, but, I'm not sure if it actually ever gets off Randolph. A quick glance at a CTA map (transitchicago.com) should clear this up.

3) There aren't any. It's the biggest drawback to LSE. The "closest" would be the Randolph and Wabash elevated stop which is a good distance from you.

One of the biggest problems with the Regatta, in general, is the time it takes you just to get out of LSE. My aunt lives in the building and just getting to Randolph is half her commute (especially if you're on foot). Of course, that will all improve over time as the Arquitectonica proposal connects everything east of it to Upper Wacker Drive and more transit is added to the area to meet increased demand. But, it might be a rough go for the first few years.
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #778
BourneJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regatta07 View Post
Hello All,
This is my first post.

1.) Where can I shop for groceries?
2.) Is there a bus stop in the area? (I work on Monroe and Canal)
3.) Closest "L" stop?

Thanks!
I have been lurking for a loooong time. It's about time I start posting.

1. If a Treasure Island/Fox & Obel size would do, there is one behind Fairmont on Stetson. If size does not matter, there are two of them few blocks down on Harbor Dr. 195 N Harbor/Parkshore has a store/deli. So does 155/Harbor Point(Bockwinkles)
2. The closest stop is at 155 N Harbor for 60. And it goes to Monroe/Canal.
3. Closest EL stop is Randolph/Wabash.

A few other tips. Closest Taxi line is 175/195 N Harbor. Fastest way out of the city in a car from LSE is Lower Wacker.(90/290/LSD).
BourneJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #779
Regatta07

I just graduated from College so I'm hoping that my young age and the fact that I am used to walking all over campus comes in handy. I noticed that the building is somewhat out of place. This is one of the reasons why I liked it though. It was tucked away DOWNTOWN. Very unique I felt. However, as you may know this is also the biggest problem. The location is both the best and worst aspect of living in the building.

I was looking at places in the 512 McClurg Building (River East Residences) and it seemed to be perfect as far as location to shopping and various other things. Fox&Obel, Dominicks, Chase, etc all across the street. With a Walgreens, bowling alley, and movie theater all in the building.

Coming from Michigan, I am used to shopping for groceries all at once. I guess I am going to have to change this. Thanks for all the information.

What else do you know about living in the building? Has your Aunt said anything that you think I should know? (additional advice)
Regatta07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #780
SoSideCityBoy
SoSideJohn

Shopping near LSE

Since the construction of Aqua the elevator on the west side of the park has been eliminated. This makes carrying weekly shopping up and down five stories unless you use the elevator at the Shoreham or Lancaster. I usually go to ground level and walk under the Lancaster parking entrance, under LSD and take the lake front path to Illinois. Stop at Fox & Obel to pick up specialty items and then to Dominicks for basic food, liquor and Pharmacy. then take a cab ($6.00) home. You can also go to ground level, walk to lower wacker, take the stairs up to middle Columbus and walk 3 blocks to the Dominicks. This way is faster but the people watching is much better on the Lake front. The Bokwinkles in Harbor Point is great for quick items. It's has just about everthing but the selection is limited.
SoSideCityBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote