daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2004, 02:11 AM   #61
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Also, I'm not convinced that anything that does not fit into a street grid is necessarily corbusian or suburban. LSE is in an awkward position between a river, a lake, and a park. I think a circular roadway in the middle is not a bad idea. Besides, with good pedestrian connections to Columbus, Wacker, and Randolph, I think it will just be another interesting place to explore when visiting downtown Chicago.

Dude, imagine 20 years from now, LSE with its beautiful highrises and townhomes, and a market center with shops, Target, and perhaps a few bars/restaurants (nightclubs? You bet--10,000 people!). Some visitor on his 5th trip to Chicago is hangin' around downtown and accidently makes his way to Columbus, walks down some steps and WHAM BAM--a whole urban neighborhood nestled in a valley in the midst of highrises. "Wow!" he says, "How could I have missed this? This is ****** awesome, dude". Then, he can take the CTA bus that goes around Harbor Drive back into the loop and have a story to tell.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2004, 09:45 PM   #62
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

edsg... the idea of a pedestrian bridge is interesting, but, I certainly hope you don't mean that it would span the river? While the numerous bridges that presently cross the river are a hallmark of Chicago... I would certainly think twice about spanning the already-congested river with anything else - lest we obstruct the views coming in from the lake. As others have stated, however, something desperately needs to be done with the Columbus Drive approach, because, I certainly wouldn't want my commute to consist of walking around on Lower Col and Lower Wacker all day... where's the fun in that?
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #63
itsnotrequired

Likes (Received): 0

Trees are being planted in the park like there is no tomorrow! The sloped sides of the main enterance drive were planted yesterday afternoon or this morning. That place is going to look like a jungle in 20-30 years. I should bring my camera one of these days...
itsnotrequired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 07:08 AM   #64
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Oooh, I'll see if I can't get over there at some point this weekend
Old September 25th, 2004, 07:10 AM   #65
The Urban Politician
The City

^Please do. Your picture adventures ROCK!
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #66
itsnotrequired

The contractors have started rolling sod out in the park. They are also installing pavers around the fountains. The Lancaster has exterior concrete painting completed on the east and south sides. The color is white and combined with the blue windows makes for an awesome effect when looking up at a blue sky with white, fluffy clouds. The concrete road surface that is the continuation of upper Harbor Drive has also started to be ground for final surfacing.
Old September 30th, 2004, 06:18 AM   #67
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

lol, thanks TUP. I'll see what I can do
Old September 30th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #68
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotrequired
The contractors have started rolling sod out in the park. They are also installing pavers around the fountains. The Lancaster has exterior concrete painting completed on the east and south sides. The color is white and combined with the blue windows makes for an awesome effect when looking up at a blue sky with white, fluffy clouds. The concrete road surface that is the continuation of upper Harbor Drive has also started to be ground for final surfacing.
I noticed sidewalks going up on the blocks across the street from the park. are they doing any grading work for the townhouses? they still aren't posting any info on them on the LSE website.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 04:27 PM   #69
itsnotrequired

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
I noticed sidewalks going up on the blocks across the street from the park. are they doing any grading work for the townhouses? they still aren't posting any info on them on the LSE website.
I assume you are talking about the Parkhomes shown on the LSE map. These would be located behind 400 Randolph and along Harbor Drive. As of now, no work appears to be happening with these homes. The sidewalks "decending" into the park area have sloped sides that have recently been covered with topsoil, seed and straw. Well, not too much straw left after the winds on Monday. Seems like it is just erosion control measures until they decide to put in the homes. Same deal with the school. The area where they were rolling out the sod is right where the school would be (NE corner of the park). Trees are planted there as well so I'm guessing they will keep it as a park until there is enough demand for the school.
Old October 12th, 2004, 12:14 AM   #70
edsg25
BANNED

I walked over to the best view of lakeshore east today (from upper Wacker and upper Columbus, as well as the plaza behind Blue Cross). the park appears to practically all sodded, trees are in, plaground well under construction. as a finished product, this place ought to be sensational.

a few questions (if anyone knows):

• sidewalks are in across the street all around the park and grade work seems to be going on behind the sidewalks. does this mean the townhouses that will surround the park will soon be under construction?

• the fact that the park is sunken to a level below the upper street levels of Wacker, Columbus, and Randolph is not a negative. What is negative is the vast amound of exposed concrete in the base sections of Illinois Center buildings to the west and Lakeshore east high rises to the east. Do they plan to do anything with this most unattractive feature?

• I've asked this one before: any word on the stores; marketplace the development is going to have. On their maps, even the location is a secret.
Old October 12th, 2004, 01:43 AM   #71
dancethingy

Likes (Received): 6

no word yet.
dancethingy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 03:36 AM   #72
AJphx

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
• the fact that the park is sunken to a level below the upper street levels of Wacker, Columbus, and Randolph is not a negative. What is negative is the vast amound of exposed concrete in the base sections of Illinois Center buildings to the west and Lakeshore east high rises to the east. Do they plan to do anything with this most unattractive feature?
I think that will all be covered up by high-rises and townhouses, eventually.
AJphx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:19 AM   #73
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJphx
I think that will all be covered up by high-rises and townhouses, eventually.
^I believe so, too.

I wish I could take a time machine and see this neighborhood in 15 years. I bet it will look unbelievable!
Old October 12th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #74
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
^I believe so, too.

I wish I could take a time machine and see this neighborhood in 15 years. I bet it will look unbelievable!
Of course I don't know where the economy is going, but I bet it will take less than 15 years to pull this off.
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #75
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

They (Magellan) say it's going to be done in 10. As we've all said before though, the likelihood of all the buildings actually going up is slim.
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:54 AM   #76
The Urban Politician
The City

Hey, I was on Skyscrapercity.com and I saw pics of the Shoreham (coming along nicely), but the pics also showed nice views of LSE in general. Wow, the park is looking awesome. Not only that, but the major road and sidewalk is complete, and the stairwell leading into the development is also underway. Really quite an amazing urban project!

BTW, somebody needs to make this thread and the "Back to Block 37" threads into Stickies. Both of those projects are easily just as important (probably MORE so!) than Trump Tower and Waterview Tower. Whoever chooses the Stickies is a bit biased towards individual skyscrapers
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:23 AM   #77
AJphx

Where did you see those photos of LSE? Did you mean skyscapers.com (Emporis)?
Old October 26th, 2004, 12:14 AM   #78
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 886

Someone in some of the earlier posts were talking about the "Gateway Arch" to Lakeshore East. While going through this thread I noticed no renderings of it had been posted, and some people didn't know where to find it.

I got these images from the SOM Web Site:

The Arch

Townhomes
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 06:06 AM   #79
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Thanks for the find(s) bvic!
Old October 27th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #80
AJphx

I love the arch. I hope it will look as great when built as the rendering makes it look.