daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #781
GTchicago
GTchicago

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://chicagomag.typepad.com/dealestate/

... construction has begun on the so-called Parkhomes: 24 single-family homes, some lined up like townhouses and some stacked atop one another.
The stacked ones are the one's that I was referring to in my previous post. I don't know anyone who would want a seven or eight story home. But in this particular case, if each unit is two or three floors, with 10/12 foot ceilings...THAT is where the questions are coming into play. And the possibility of elevators are being offered to buyers. My aunt's colleague almost bought a Parkhome, but purchased two units in Aqua instead. That is how I know about the elevators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regatta07 View Post
Hello All,

1.) Where can I shop for groceries?
2.) Is there a bus stop in the area? (I work on Monroe and Canal)
3.) Closest "L" stop?

Welcome to the neighborhood!

1.) There is a nice grocery store in the basement of Harbor Point. They have a full deli and Meat section, and because they are considered a “Centrella” store, their prices are not at all bad, compared to some of the other specialty stores. I go there about 4 times a week, and have not been disappointed by their prices or variety of goods. It will take you 15 minutes to walk to the Dominick’s on Illinois and Fairbanks. Just walk North on upper Columbus, cross Wacker and go down the stairs there to lower Columbus (If you went down one more flight, you’d be on the “River Walk”, and that’s another nice place to explore if you haven’t done it yet), cross the river, and you’re there. They’ll also deliver (it will cost 10% of your bill, and they’ll do it Monday through Saturday) if you need it. You said you like to do all of your shopping at once, so that might be a helpful tip. Trader Joe’s is also quite close, and there is a very nice Treasure Island in 680 North Lake Shore Drive (along with a full service Ace Hardware in that same building) and all of those stores will deliver too. And there is always PeaPod.

2.) I agree with the #60 bus suggestion. Comes frequently, and has covered stops in front of Harbor Point and Outer Drive East.

3.) Randolph and Wabash.

Good luck to you, and Welcome!
GTchicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #782
Regatta07

Thank you all for the information!!!

It seems as if the #60 bus is perfect for my commute to Monroe and Canal.
Regatta07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #783
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Yeah, the #60 will pretty much drop you at the door of your office. As far as other Regatta information - she has had nothing but positive things to say. She loves it there.

My only other tidbit of information is that getting a cab from that location sucks hard. Even when the doorman turns on the cab light, you can expect to wait up to 20 minutes if it's off-hour for a cab to finally venture into LSE.
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #784
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

7-14-07

Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #785
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

^ Is that topped out? I mean obviously the roof isn't done, but there is a large concrete slab there, is that the last floor?
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #786
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

98% sure this one's about topped out (not sure what the exact criteria is, but they're definitely working on the mechanical penthouse now.)
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #787
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

The workers at the Tides are, for some inexplainable reason, bashing the concrete along the vertical corners of the balconies with hammers. About 10-12 stories up the south side. Now the place is still under construction, so this normally wouldn't seem odd to me, except that pieces of the concrete were landing IN THE PARK...RIGHT WHERE I WAS WALKING! Anything from small pebbles to cookie-sized chunks. Other pieces were exploding in the street, which runs between the park and the building.

I'm no expert on construction safety, but this would seem to be a "not-so-great" idea on someone's part...
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:55 AM   #788
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I'd guess that the construction team misplaced some balconies, and rather than giving some buyers a birthday gift, Magellan's guys decided to tear them down.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #789
SGMD1

Last edited by SGMD1; September 17th, 2013 at 06:02 AM.
SGMD1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #790
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

I'm fairly certain there are no known building plans for those 3 or 4 sites between the Chandler and LSD. I'm guessing the real estate slowdown will delay the original plans even more. Between Aqua, the townhomes, and the proposed building on the north side, they already have plenty to build and sell without starting even more. If something new is proposed, I'm sure news of it will appear on this site within a day or two!

And watch what you say about your Spire site views...you're going to get drafted to take regular pictures for the rest of us!
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #791
SGMD1

Last edited by SGMD1; September 17th, 2013 at 06:02 AM.
SGMD1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #792
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

August 17, 2007

The Tides
Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #793
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

It's even worse than I imagined it could be! This piece of shit is going to look even more rediculous with those balconies once Aqua's done - assuming Lowendburg didn't mangle that one too much.
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #794
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
I'm fairly certain there are no known building plans for those 3 or 4 sites between the Chandler and LSD. I'm guessing the real estate slowdown will delay the original plans even more. Between Aqua, the townhomes, and the proposed building on the north side, they already have plenty to build and sell without starting even more. If something new is proposed, I'm sure news of it will appear on this site within a day or two!

And watch what you say about your Spire site views...you're going to get drafted to take regular pictures for the rest of us!

I would still expect an average of 1 tower to begin construction (whether rental, condo, hotel or mixed) in LSE per year through the slowdown - so yes, I definitely think it's likely at least one of the tower sites along LSD will at least begin construction before 2011...(unless of course the next 2 after Arquitectonica just happen to be the site between Swissotel and Architectonica and the site between the Aqua base and BCBS....if that were the case, than perhaps not....
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:11 AM   #795
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Saw a different rendering of the Parkhomes in the latest newsletter
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:07 AM   #796
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

August 22, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #797
Reaperducer

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Saw a different rendering of the Parkhomes in the latest newsletter
I'm glad you mentioned the Parkhomes.

The people at 400 East Randolph are talking about suing the developers of Lakeshore East, in part because of the Parkhomes.

They have an agreement in writing which states that the Parkhomes won't affect views from 400. But the renderings printed on the Parkhomes signs show the buildings blocking the 400's pool dome, and possibly the day care center (second floor of the main building). The LSE folks specifically pledged not to do this.

More important to me, the LSE developers were also required in writing to connect 400 to the pedway system when the Parkhomes were built, but so far no one has seen any plans for any such link and there's no evidence that there is one.

In one sense, it's just the people in 400 being cranky old folks with nothing better to do.

On the other hand, a connection to the pedway would be great (something I was promised would happen before I moved into the Shoreham, but didn't) and if you're going to put something in writing, you'd better keep your word on it.

While I understand that plans change, there have been a lot of broken promises at LSE. I'm glad I left.
Reaperducer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #798
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ It's too bad that they put such a stupid promise (views) in writing. The pedway issue is a different matter
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #799
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post
I'm glad you mentioned the Parkhomes.

The people at 400 East Randolph are talking about suing the developers of Lakeshore East, in part because of the Parkhomes.

They have an agreement in writing which states that the Parkhomes won't affect views from 400. But the renderings printed on the Parkhomes signs show the buildings blocking the 400's pool dome, and possibly the day care center (second floor of the main building). The LSE folks specifically pledged not to do this.

More important to me, the LSE developers were also required in writing to connect 400 to the pedway system when the Parkhomes were built, but so far no one has seen any plans for any such link and there's no evidence that there is one.

I don't think there are plans available and I don't think there are any plans to get the parkhomes started soon.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #800
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

They already rammed all the vertical metal wall things into the ground around the entire site (I'm sure there's a technical term for them, the same things they use around high-rise sites.) And this week, they started pouring foundations of some sort, just north of the swimming atrium. They were waaay below grade at that point, right where the townhomes meet the entry street from Randolph, so not sure exactly what's getting built that low.