daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #801
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
They already rammed all the vertical metal wall things into the ground around the entire site (I'm sure there's a technical term for them, the same things they use around high-rise sites.)
Sheet pilings.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:21 AM   #802
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Tides, taken today:

Is that Tom in the swimming pool?

i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #803
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

The Tides

September 11, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:18 PM   #804
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Taken from inside the park, facing Northeast. Anyone care to count all those balconies?

Tides:

Foundations for the townhouses. Shot from the bottom of the entry ramp via Randolph, facing East. The geodome swimming pool is directly above on the right. Could these be the parking garages? (they're not on the floorplans anywhere that I could see.)
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:57 AM   #805
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Caffe RoM is finally open in the Shoreham.

Pics from LSE website

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #806
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

October 3, 2007

The Tides
Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #807
spyguy
Expert

I don't know if this is new news, but TI's website (the first time I've seen it working in a long while) says that they're opening in the LSE market in Spring of 2009.
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #808
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

The Tides might actually be Loewenberg's greatest accomplishment
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #809
pgold21

Likes (Received): 0

I think The Tides is hideous. It kind of looks nice in the photos but in person it's awful. I walk by the building everyday and I just think it's ugly. I'm not ure exactly what it is but it doesn't seem to have the right amount of contrast. I think The Shoreham is a much better balanced building.
pgold21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:44 AM   #810
spyguy
Expert

Redesigned Village Market

Old November 21st, 2007, 05:39 AM   #811
Chicago2020

Looks Great
Chicago2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:05 PM   #812
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Nice shots. I know we have two floor markets. I can't imagine a three floor one though. I wonder if TI will be using the first two floors for the market and the top for other market-related activities (I know they do cooking classes at some of their locations). At any rate, having a full service, high end super market downtown south of the river is an incredible plus.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM   #813
spyguy
Expert

TI is only on the second floor. The first floors are mutliple smaller stores (probably can be combined though), and I'm guessing they're trying for an outdoor cafe/restaurant on the top.
Old November 21st, 2007, 08:58 PM   #814
Sir Isaac Newton

Where exactly will the village market be? Is it going to be in the podium for Aqua, that is directly south of the Aqua tower itself?
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:26 AM   #815
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
On the far right of this picture, we can see a snippet of what's planned for the thin lot between Aqua and Blue Cross Blue Shield. I'm betting it will be a loading dock structure for the market and the other stores in the building, with a landscaped park on top (or hopefully a building, but I'm not holding my breath). It's really a good solution that keeps truck traffic off of the ring road.

If Magellan decides to get dangerous, that lot could fit a building the size of the Tides. That would, of course, highly complicate the loading operations underground, and the weight of the core would have to be transferred to the edges of the lot to allow trucks to pass underneath.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 07:52 PM   #816
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

^ There is a building planned for that parcel, I have not seen anything yet in terms of drawings/renderings, etc., but it is a full parcel, with loading properties perhaps below upper Columbus.
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM   #817
Ritchie Rich
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
On the far right of this picture, we can see a snippet of what's planned for the thin lot between Aqua and Blue Cross Blue Shield. I'm betting it will be a loading dock structure for the market and the other stores in the building, with a landscaped park on top (or hopefully a building, but I'm not holding my breath). It's really a good solution that keeps truck traffic off of the ring road.

If Magellan decides to get dangerous, that lot could fit a building the size of the Tides. That would, of course, highly complicate the loading operations underground, and the weight of the core would have to be transferred to the edges of the lot to allow trucks to pass underneath.
Ardecila,
What you're referring to at the far right side of the rendering is, in fact, the existing podium base of the BC/BS building. Notice the horizontal banding of the masonry and the layout of the landscaping on the roof. This is a rendering of what's there now. The Village Market structure will extend from the roadway into LSE west until it abuts the east face of the BC/BS podium.

The thin parcel of land just north of the BC/BC podium and south of the Aqua development is a separate part of the LSE master plan.
Ritchie Rich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #818
spyguy
Expert

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...hore25.article

New neighborhood bursts onto scene
DOWNTOWN BOOM | Lakeshore East plans 4,950 homes

November 24, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER

Tall building could draw ire

The developers are talking a trade with the city: Surrendering one of the development sites for the school, probably along Columbus Drive south of the Aqua. In exchange, the city would grant zoning authority for buildings a little taller than a current maximum of about 70 stories near Lake Shore Drive.

Loewenberg and Carlins won't discuss specifics, but the danger is that anything extremely tall could overwhelm the neighborhood sense they've carefully built around the park. Also, the same buyers they're signing up could become the political force opposing taller buildings.
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #819
wrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...hore25.article

New neighborhood bursts onto scene
DOWNTOWN BOOM | Lakeshore East plans 4,950 homes

November 24, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER

Tall building could draw ire

.....(T)he danger is that anything extremely tall could overwhelm the neighborhood sense they've carefully built around the park. Also, the same buyers they're signing up could become the political force opposing taller buildings.
Roeder is being a bit silly here, considering the scale of what's been built or is in construction - I mean, you're already just an ant at the bottom of a quarry pit - not at all an unpleasant sensation - but please, "overwhelm"? A more likely scenario is that some residents will seek to protect their views from any new encroachments. I do wish that Roeder would apply a little critical discretion before regurgitating some of this nonsense... but perhaps an upwards height revision explains the LSE's delay in releasing the final designs for the next (AQ) tower.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #820
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Townhomes progressing:
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote