daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2004, 05:54 AM   #81
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

The arch will rock.

Honestly, guys, I am looking at pictures of LSE taking shape and it is seriously blowing me away.

Can you guys think of another city in this country creating anything the likes of LSE and Central Station (as well as Kingsbury and Riverside Parks, for that matter)? Chicago is just kicking so much ASS right now
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:06 PM   #82
The Urban Politician
The City

Does anybody have new pics of LSE? I was looking on the web, and it looks like the park in LSE is coming along very nicely. There appears to be some sort of grand staircase with ornamental streetlights descending into the neighborhood. So incredibly charming! Anybody know how these things are all coming along?
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:19 PM   #83
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
Does anybody have new pics of LSE? I was looking on the web, and it looks like the park in LSE is coming along very nicely. There appears to be some sort of grand staircase with ornamental streetlights descending into the neighborhood. So incredibly charming! Anybody know how these things are all coming along?

Having seen it myself numerous times, I'd say you're pretty accurate. The park is coming along nicely. No construction yet on the CPS school; I'm sure that won't be coming until a lot more people move into the development. Grade work has been done on the four sides of the park for town house construction, but no ground breaking yet.

I still don't have a clue on the market; shopping complex, as to where it will go (although it will be on the west end of the development, near Columbus). I'm also wondering (I've expressed this one before) if there will be an effort to put some type of Wrigley type ivy on the exposed concrete walls which are vestiges of Illinois Center's 3 level roadway system. I sure they plan to cover these up in some attractive way; they have a raw, unappealing under-construction look about them, completely out of sync with the rest of the project.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 08:17 PM   #84
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

edsg... are you sure about the retail location? I certainly hope you're right! I always just assumed all that would go on the east side of the development (I'm not sure why)... but your proclaimed location is much better!!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #85
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

A few weekends ago, I was wandering downtown with my hitched partner (long story... to put in a few words, I was tied to someone of the opposite sex for 37 hours) and I got to see LSE upfront. Man, pictures just capture the amazing wonder that is LSE. Of course, my partner then learned I was a city/architectural buff when I just started pointing and rambling about Lancaster, Shoreham, LSE, the arch, 340, and on and on. This project makes me incredibly happy.
Old November 7th, 2004, 04:09 AM   #86
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
edsg... are you sure about the retail location? I certainly hope you're right! I always just assumed all that would go on the east side of the development (I'm not sure why)... but your proclaimed location is much better!!
the website gives the general area, but not a specific.
Old November 7th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #87
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

lol @ sim.

I don't know about everyone else... but, now I'm just too curious about this "partner"
Old November 7th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #88
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

Likes (Received): 0

Sim, do you mean "tied" in the literal sense, or just obligatory?

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 05:03 AM   #89
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 878

Well, someone requested some photo updates of LakeShoreEast, well I took some today. I was able to "sneak" in and take some photos of Harbor Park, befor I got kicked out that is

Looking northeast from the Blue Cross Blue Shield plaza.

Looking west across Harbor Park.

Another shot looking west over the park.

The junglegym. Looking north, that's the Shorham under construction in the background.

On the walking paths.

The park and the Lancaster.

Another Lancaster shot.

Paths and future water features.

The Shoreham and The Lancaster overlooking Harbor Park.

The Shoreham nearing the topping out stage.

The Lancaster.

I hope that these are okay. ENJOY!!!!!
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 05:12 AM   #90
mypetrobot

fricking awesome... good job... now hopefully they start construction 340 on park and the regetta soon.
mypetrobot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 06:26 AM   #91
The Urban Politician
The City

BVictor, I have just built a 10 foot tall shrine of you in my house, I plan to worship it on a daily basis

BTW, does anybody have any idea what will happen to those concrete slab bases of all those Illinois Center buildings? Is there any plan to cover them up or do anything to "make them go away"? They would really cramp the style of what is otherwise likely to become an absolutely gorgeous highrise neighborhood
Old November 8th, 2004, 06:34 AM   #92
The Urban Politician
The City

I am awe-stricken.

If nothing else, one thing Chicagoans know how to build better than anyone is a friggin park!

I remember, just a mere 2 years ago, when they were clearing this site. It was completely empty--a giant slab of dirt. I remember telling the girl I was dating at the time that some day I would own a house there (I already knew about LSE, btw). Now I look and see all that has transpired in a 2 year period and it blows me away. I can't even imagine how this neighborhood will look in 10-15 years. It is honestly the most beautiful thing ever--I just hope they find a way to resolve the issue of the bases of those older Illinois center highrises.

We can only hope that Riverside Park, Lasalle Park, and Kingsbury Park are built with the same concientious urban design

Last edited by The Urban Politician; November 8th, 2004 at 06:40 AM.
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #93
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
BTW, does anybody have any idea what will happen to those concrete slab bases of all those Illinois Center buildings? Is there any plan to cover them up or do anything to "make them go away"? They would really cramp the style of what is otherwise likely to become an absolutely gorgeous highrise neighborhood
That's what the townhomes are for.
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:36 AM   #94
Rivernorth
Vertigo City

Lower Columbus Drive and much of Middle and Lower Wacker Drive will be covered up as well by towers and townhomes. This area will look nothing like how it used to look like back when it was a 9-hole golf course.
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #95
Jaroslaw

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
There will be a two story Target and other things at the base of the Regatta, NE of the Shoreham.
Jaroslaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #96
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
That's what the townhomes are for.
unfortunately not. They will not block the concrete. The setting is essentially a valley. Not a negative, per se. But something has to be done with the concrete walls. I've said it before: run up to Waveland and Sheffield and steal some of that ivy!
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #97
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslaw1
There will be a two story Target and other things at the base of the Regatta, NE of the Shoreham.
Target would make a helluva lot more money if it simply moved over a half mile to State Street.
Old November 8th, 2004, 04:56 PM   #98
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

I've heard mentions of a Target at LSE before, as much as I would like one to be there, I just can't imagine enough local traffic to support one. I also question how much it will draw from other areas, how they would handle potentially massive traffic, and how these folks who are paying enourmous sums of money to live there would feel about a Target in their midst, as it would draw people of "lesser means" to the area. I would also argue that the price of retail space would be far too high for a discounter to make a profit. I won't say it's impossible, but I think they could be much more successful locating a bit to the west in the area around what's left of Cabrini.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #99
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
unfortunately not. They will not block the concrete. The setting is essentially a valley. Not a negative, per se. But something has to be done with the concrete walls. I've said it before: run up to Waveland and Sheffield and steal some of that ivy!
Or maybe they could have some of the Gallery 37 kids design some murals to be painted on the walls. That would look sweet.
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #100
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I was always so excited about the LSE Target thinking "ahh, so close... so, convenient!" But, now that I actually really think about it... it will be much more annoying to get to than the other new Target at Clark and Roosevelt. I agree that the location should maybe be reconsidered. But, retail will still be a very important component to LSE's success. No true neighborhood can prosper without it.