daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2004, 11:17 PM   #101
Tom in Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

Retail should be an important component, but the type of overly-commercial big-box retail that's anchoring these developments aren't anything to be proud of. . . unless of course it's a gigantic multi-level McDonald's. . . then it's ok. . .

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:07 AM   #102
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

rofl

in all seriousness though... I don't mind Target as long as they continue to design with conscience. Of course I would rather 100 small mom-and-pop stores, but, let's be realistic. This is 2004, not 1954.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 05:28 AM   #103
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Target will serve the youngling community well.

As the population grows and the neighborhood matures, smaller boutique-type retail and restaurants will appear to give the neighborhood more character.

We will all be middle-aged bastards by then...
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #104
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Some of you are already middle-aged bastards :P
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:23 AM   #105
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

I stopped by the LakeshoreEast sales center earlier this afternoon. I was told that they would break ground on The Regatta this month (November 2004), and that they were about 70% sold.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:28 AM   #106
lazar22b

Likes (Received): 0

Thats great to hear. I can't wait to see the regetta going up into the world. This project is looking really good, with the renderings I've seen so far. by the way, other then the two buildings that are underconstruction, the regetta, and 340 on the park, are there any other buildings with renderings out there?
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 05:52 AM   #107
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
I stopped by the LakeshoreEast sales center earlier this afternoon. I was told that they would break ground on The Regatta this month (November 2004), and that they were about 70% sold.
^Bring in on, baby
Old November 15th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #108
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I've seen a few other renderings floating around here and there, but, I don't think any of them were anything more than concept drawings. I wouldn't know where to begin looking for them at this point.
Old November 15th, 2004, 05:55 PM   #109
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
unfortunately not. They will not block the concrete. The setting is essentially a valley. Not a negative, per se. But something has to be done with the concrete walls. I've said it before: run up to Waveland and Sheffield and steal some of that ivy!
Here's the masterplan for Lakeshore East, it's been posted before, but i'll post it again.

It looks like the townhomes are going to cover up the blank walls of 400 East Randolph. I have a feeling that there are going to be many plazas with these towers I believe that will be interconnected. I don't believe that they would leave any exposed any blank walls. They're spending $2.5 billion on Lakeshore East, they better the **** not have any blank walls.
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:00 PM   #110
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazar22b
are there any other buildings with renderings out there?
I asked that same question yesterday at the sales center. They said the next thing would be some of the parkhomes. The told me next spring would probably be the time when the next building will be introduced.
Old November 16th, 2004, 03:57 AM   #111
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

From LSE's website, RE: market place:

Do all of your errands in one convenient spot — without ever getting in your car. Take an afternoon stroll to the neighborhood outdoor café. Pick up the kids from preschool on your 10-minute walk home from work.

In addition to enjoying the park upon their arrival, first residences will find a new village center to patronize. The multi-faceted market center will be located on Harbor Park's southwestern edge. This Tuscan-style development is planned to include a host of retail amenities. The village center will be designed by KMD Architects, an international retail design firm best known for their 2 Rodeo Drive work in Los Angeles. *
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 04:58 AM   #112
The Urban Politician
The City

IMO, all along I never thought anything suburban or strip-mally would be built at LSE. It just plain wouldn't happen
Old November 16th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #113
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
It looks like the townhomes are going to cover up the blank walls of 400 East Randolph. I have a feeling that there are going to be many plazas with these towers I believe that will be interconnected. I don't believe that they would leave any exposed any blank walls. They're spending $2.5 billion on Lakeshore East, they better the **** not have any blank walls.
I hope you're right, but the townhouses certainly won't do anything to make them less visible. In their promo pix, the walls still appear exposed. i would have to think that with the quality of this project, something will be done.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #114
The Urban Politician
The City

^I have a hard time believing that townhomes will be tall anough to cover multi-story concrete parking garages
Old November 16th, 2004, 07:06 AM   #115
lazar22b

Those exposed walls belong to the Illinois project if im correct, which would technically mean that the lakeshore east project can't do anything to those walls. The only thing they could do is probably make some agreement with the owners of the Illinois project to have the walls fixed up.
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #116
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I'm sure the owners of Illinois Center would let LSE do whatever they want with the walls (aesthetically, of course) as long as they didn't have to come out of pocket for it.
Old November 16th, 2004, 12:53 PM   #117
Jaroslaw

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
The told me next spring would probably be the time when the next building will be introduced.
And it will have some crazy marine name... Why not name the buildings after people? A million a pop, and you have your name on it. Like with university buildings. Or name them after famous Chicago writers. "Where do you live?" "Oh, I live at the Dreiser." "I just bought a condo at the Bellow."
Jaroslaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 02:40 AM   #118
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

I just drove down LSD past LakeshoreEast, and I noticed that there were diggers and bulldozers directly northeast of The Shoreham, so I am assuming that they were doing site preparation work for The Regatta. I'll try to snap some photos tomorrow.
Old November 20th, 2004, 12:19 AM   #119
northsidesoxfan

Map at 340ontheparkchicago.com

I noticed this on 340ontheparkchicago.com website. It might settle the debate on where the market will be. Or maybe not.

northsidesoxfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 12:30 AM   #120
northsidesoxfan

Current view

Here's a screen shot from 11/19/04 at about four in the afternoon. It does look like there is site prep happening for the regatta. The park sure is . . . well, different. (ed. - wait for leaves on trees . . . )

northsidesoxfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote