daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2004, 06:37 AM   #121
lazar22b

Likes (Received): 0

wow that park looks kinda cool from the air. I can't wait to see all of this in person
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2004, 03:47 AM   #122
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

I went back to the LakeShore East sales center today, you know the old saying third times a charm? Well it is, on my previous visits I was never allowed to take photos of the model, but this time I was.

The Regatta is in the foreground and The Shoreham is in the background.

These are some of the Parkhomes. The view is looking southeast over the site/model.

A closeup of some of the Parkhomes.

The next several shots are of the big model for The Regatta.

Wacker Drive facade.

This view would be looking west towards the building.

Looking up at the Wacker Drive facade of The Regatta.

Looking north, all three models.

Looking west, all three models.

Looking south at The Shoreham.

The Lancaster.

I did ask them about those ugly walls of previous Illinois Center buildings. They will be covered up, mostly with parkhomes.

ENJOY!!!!!
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:50 AM   #123
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Again, another reason i love Chicago, this tower i like (regatta), a nice change for the banality of the illinois center, i figured this area would produce some nice residential towers, and what i love (or at least one thing) about Chicago is its TALL residential towers!!!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:53 AM   #124
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

awesome work bvic!!! Your efforts are always greatly appreciated!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 01:03 AM   #125
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Awesome, BVic!

I like the park homes, although I prefer the design on the lakeshore east website as opposed to the models. I'm not a big fan of the "sideways stairwell" leading to the front door, but perhaps that is just a space-saving measure.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:00 AM   #126
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

WAY TO GO, VICTOR. YOU ARE THE MAN!

Question here: I was under the opinion that only high rises and town houses would front the park. Are the midrises something new to the concept?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 03:20 AM   #127
The Urban Politician
The City

Lakeshore East has completely revamped its website, and has a lot more information now about 340 on the Park. It looks awesome, and it is even going to have my favorite urban feature (right, BVictor?)--ground level retail space! Below is a picture they posted of the townhomes. They go along well with the models BVictor showed us. They look better than the renderings from the old website, mostly because they look denser!

Old December 4th, 2004, 06:06 PM   #128
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Cool find Urban, and actually what I found out last time that I visited the sales center and didn't post was that many of the Lakeshore East buildings will have some type of retail space within them aside from any larger scale retail that will probably be built within the complex. Also The Regatta has been officially listed as under constrction
Old December 12th, 2004, 06:07 AM   #129
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

I went to the Lakeshore East site today (12/11/04) an took a couple of shots, just to give you guys confirmation that The Regatta is officially under construction.

You can see that several caisons have already been drilled.

Also the barricades are down on the entrance to Lakeshore East from upper Randolph Street. I was able to drive around the site and Harbor Park. Also people have officially started to move into The Lancaster. I was able to see into the lobby of the building. There was a doorman in place and people entering the building. I had noticed what looked like painted walls and fruniture inside the building while driving down Lakeshore Drive earlier in the week.

So I recommend anyone who hasn't ever gone to the site, to go there.
Old December 12th, 2004, 06:11 AM   #130
The Urban Politician
The City

....and the Regatta gets built.

Next? 340 on the park!
Old December 18th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #131
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

THE HOUSE HUNTER
Massive project aims to become vertical village

Sharon Stangenes

Published December 18, 2004

Daniel Burnham's admonition to "make no little plans" has stirred the souls of developers for a hundred years and has been most evident recently in sprawling subdivisions on the outskirts of the metropolitan area.

Now a massive new urban development is beginning to take shape at the junction of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan.

Lakeshore East, a $2.5 billion project planned for 4,950 residents, 2.1 million square feet of commercial space, a 400-student public school, 2,200 hotel rooms and up to 770,000 square feet of retail space, is rising on the former site of a slightly scruffy urban golf course.

The complex, approved by the city in 2001, is a joint venture of Magellan Development Group Ltd. and NNP Residential & Development with a targeted completion date of 2012 to 2014.

According to the developer's press materials, the project "is believed to be the largest parcel of downtown land under development in a major city." The complex is touted as a "village in the heart of downtown Chicago." But unlike many of it suburban counterparts, this village will be mostly vertical and cover just 28 acres.

The first building to open is the Lancaster, a gleaming 29-story glass condominium tower on the east side of the property. You can easily see it from both Lake Shore Drive and Columbus Drive, but getting to the front door is surprisingly tricky. The entrance is on Randolph Street, east of Columbus, where a one-block street leads to the development.

The Lancaster is across the street from the development's six-acre park, which is landscaped with a children's play area, fountains and trees, and has a dandy view of the city's skyline.

The building is about 90 percent sold and the first residents are beginning to move in, said Lee Abdella, Magellan marketing manager. The initial buyers have been empty-nesters, both from the neighborhood and the suburbs, as well as professionals, both singles and couples, many of whom work downtown and like the idea of walking to work.

This is a building for those who favor contemporary design, believe in the potential of the urban-village concept and don't mind paying as much as $400 a square foot.

The two units I visited -- a 927-square-foot one bedroom with den and a three-bedroom, two-bath corner residence of nearly 1,800 square feet -- have good, even terrific views. But the residences do not feel overly generous in size.

The one-bedroom with den plan is dubbed the Discovery. It has floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the lake and Navy Pier. Visitors enter at the kitchen, a 9-by-8 1/2-foot, U-shaped room with the double sink overlooking the combination living/dining area, about 15-by-15 1/2 feet. Sliding doors open onto a balcony which possibly could hold a couple of chairs and a side table.

To the left of the living/dining area, a short hallway leads to the bedroom, past the powder room on the left and the 9-by-10-foot den on the right.

Both the den and the bedroom overlook the lake, but the den is tiny and has no closet. The 12-by-14 1/2-foot bedroom has a small private bath with tub and a decent-sized walk-in closet. Though finished with such touches as a marble floor and countertop in the baths, this unit comes with the understanding that "when the market demands it in 5 or 10 years" another building will rise and block some of the view, Abdella said.

It is a consideration I would think long and hard about before plunking down $420,000 or more for this unit.

The three-bedroom corner residence called the Arabella has a good traffic plan. Even better is the view of the development's central park and the city skyline.

Visitors step into the foyer and turn left down a short hall, past the powder room, coat closet and door to the master suite, to the living/dining and kitchen area. From the foyer, the two secondary bedrooms and the second bath are straight ahead and to the right.

The living/dining area is airy and has an alluring vista broken by two large pillars. The 16-by-9-foot kitchen is a galley with range and refrigerator on the wall. A double sink looks into the living and dining area, which is 24 1/2-by-16 feet, and has two walls of windows.

There is access to a smallish balcony, big enough for a breath of fresh air and a grill, but too narrow for much else.

The master bathroom has dual sinks, a tub as well as a shower and plenty of room for two people. The walk-in closet is spacious but the 12-by-14-foot master bedroom itself seems shortchanged.

I count in its favor that the Lancaster is not a particularly large building and it has a sleek, sophisticated exterior. The lobby is impressive, but not overly large and despite high ceilings manages an intimate feeling. That feeling is continued on the residential floors, which each have eight units. And I like the idea of underground parking, though the $41,000 average cost of a deeded space seems steep indeed.

Residents of the Lancaster will not be alone for long. The Shoreham, a 46-story apartment tower is under construction next door and scheduled for initial occupancy in spring.

Sales are under way for two other pieces of the project -- 340 On The Park, a 62-story condominium, and the Regatta, a 44-story condominium.

- - -

The Lancaster

Address: 201 North Westshore Dr.

Developer: Lancaster Development Group, Ltd.

Phone: 312-520-4000

Web: www.lakeshoreeast.com

Description: A 29-story condominium building with 210 units. Remaining units range from 710 to 1,779 square feet with one to three bedrooms, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 baths. Four duplex units from 2,300 to 2,616 square feet. Base prices, $420,000 to $899,000. Monthly assessments, $342 to $760. Indoor deeded parking, $41,000 per space. Prices as of Dec. 10.

Amenities: Hardwood floors, appliances including washer and dryer, granite kitchen countertops, fitness center, private party room, rooftop sundeck, concierge service and underground garage.

Neighborhood: Near where the Chicago River meets Lake Michigan. Within walking distance of Millennium Park, Navy Pier, Michigan Avenue shopping and restaurants, CTA bus lines.
Old December 19th, 2004, 06:03 PM   #132
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I had no idea the Shoreham was going to be rental! That's crazy.
Old December 19th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #133
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Yeah, it's rental. Well you can't have all condo! Those who want to rent should have a place as well. Chicago has lost many rental buildings over the past several years due to those buildings being converted to condominiums.

Anyway I visited the LSE sales center again yesterday. They have now added the 340 on the Park model into the larger moder. This thing is really started to take shape.

Last edited by BVictor1; December 19th, 2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old December 20th, 2004, 12:52 AM   #134
The Urban Politician
The City

Great pics, Bvic!

A few points. First of all, I think apartments are a good idea. It's a nice entry point for new tenents, who will get used to the neighborhood and consider buying into it later. Also, its good to have apartments for transients, since we can't assume that everybody who lives downtown wants to actually buy property.

The second point. Regarding the models, I notice they omit the Lancaster and Shoreham parking garages, which is key for me. I would like to see how those parking garages will fit into the urban format of the neighborhood, since they could easily ruin the beauty of the neighborhood if not designed correctly
Old December 20th, 2004, 02:20 AM   #135
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

They aren't really being omitted. When the total project is completed, the parking facilities wont be visible. Just like to bare white walls of the other Illinois Center buildnigs won't be visible upon completion either.
Old December 20th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #136
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Oh, believe me, I wasn't faulting the Shoreham's status as rental... I was just very surprised. I agree that we need alot more rental buildings downtown as the supply has dwindled so badly over the past five years.

As far as the models go, I really really really wish they would stop lighting them like that. It makes it very difficult to figure out what the building is actually going to look like when you're being blinded by light.
Old December 25th, 2004, 03:58 AM   #137
The Urban Politician
The City

I was able to squeeze out another tiny smidgeon of info about the retail center planned in LSE:

The Shops at Lakeshore East

Noteworthy fact: Neighborhood retail is planned and will encompass a variety of uses to include a grocery store, restaurants, pharmacy and bank.

Location: East Benton Place in Chicago’s new Lakeshore East neighborhood.

Size: 90,000 square feet of retail with 400 car parking facility.

Features: Multi-level village retail center with shopping and dining.

Completion: late 2005

Also, it turns out that many buildings already u/c at LSE will also have a large amount of ground-level retail
Old December 25th, 2004, 06:59 AM   #138
northsidesoxfan

Likes (Received): 0

Christmas Eve Day Pictures

I took some pictures earlier today from the little plaza in back of the Blue Cross building. Nothing too exciting.

No 340 On The Park yet.

northsidesoxfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #139
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2460

I would love to live in that area. Sure, it's a bit touristy feeling, but it was one of my favorite spots in the Loop, because so much was within 1/4-1/3 mile walk.

Man, I can't wait to get back up to Chicago.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 04:49 PM   #140
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

From the Chicago Sun-Times (January 21, 2005)

Fifield wins out on choice downtown sliver of land

January 21, 2005

BY DAVID ROEDER Business Reporter

Developer Steven Fifield has signed a contract to buy a prime empty parcel close to Millennium Park.

Sources said the site on the east side of Columbus Drive could accommodate about a 70-story building. They said Fifield paid about $19 million, plus up to $9 million to build connections to the two-level roadway and to adjacent properties.

The site is north of the Blue Cross-Blue Shield Building (on Randolph) and just outside the Lakeshore East residential project spearheaded by Magellan Development Group Ltd. Owner Archstone-Smith Trust favored Fifield's bid over one from Magellan.

Joel Carlins, Magellan's president, said he's not disappointed with the outcome. "We welcome the development interest in the community. It certainly says something good about the value of our land," he said.

Fifield could not be reached. He is believed to be planning a building that would combine for-sale and rental housing.

A major force in Chicago's West Loop, Fifield has expanded his firm with key executive additions and is widening its geographic focus with upscale housing in Miami, Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

Magellan retains ownership of another parcel north of Fifield's, across Columbus from the Fairmont Hotel. Carlins said the site may be suitable for a hotel.

Lakeshore East is a 28-acre complex that has two residential high-rises near completion and two more due to start in the next few months. The zoning ultimately allows for 4,900 homes on the tract, which previously was a golf course.