daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2005, 06:11 PM   #141
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Good gawd... the New East Side just going to be plain silliness in 10 years!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:48 AM   #142
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 872

I drove past the Lakeshore East site tis afternoon, and noticed that they are now taking down the construction crane for The Shoreham. But what's interesting is that they are re-erecting that same crane for the construction of The Regatta.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:35 AM   #143
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I was looking at construction pics for the Lancaster and the Shoreham today, and something struck me.

When completed, Lakeshore East is going to be an incredible place. Fountains, outdoor glass elevators (the Lancaster--so creative!!), an elitist school, a gorgeous park with street lamps, and beautiful trees; all surrounded by a ring of modern glass skyscrapers. Everything looks so divine.

Does anybody else feel this way (or differently)?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:44 AM   #144
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
I was looking at construction pics for the Lancaster and the Shoreham today, and something struck me.

When completed, Lakeshore East is going to be an incredible place. Fountains, outdoor glass elevators (the Lancaster--so creative!!), an elitist school, a gorgeous park with street lamps, and beautiful trees; all surrounded by a ring of modern glass skyscrapers. Everything looks so divine.

Does anybody else feel this way (or differently)?
I agree 100%. For skyscraper and architecture geeks like us, Lakeshore East is like one big orgasm.

-On an even more exciting note myself, Chicago Shawn and Rivernorth took a trip today to the Lakeshore East sals center and we were in for an unexpected bonus. While we were there the president of Magellan Development, Joe Carlins along with infamous architect James Lowenberg came in to have a meeting around the model with what seemed like a couple of investors. Unfortunately we were unable to as questions or grill Mr. Lowenberg about his bland architecture, although we did practically have to ristrain Rivernorth from boxing Mr. Lowenbergs ears. He also kept staring at us and giving us the 'evil' eye, I found this quite annoying and was quite tempted to sick R.N on him.

-Another thing that we heard is that 340 On the Park will hopefully be breaking ground in about the next 30 days or so. This statement came directly from Mr. Carlins mouth.

-The development is planning on having approximately 4900 residential units, 1500 hotel rooms, and about 2,500,000 sq ft of office space, and several grocery stores of about 30,000 sq each. There will possibly be 4 Starbucks within the development which all 3 of us as well as the receptionist found utterly rediculous.

-The next tower might be announced sometime in February or March.

I believe that's about is. If i've left anything out hopefully Chicago shawn and Rivernorth will fill in the blanks.
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #145
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

4 STARBUCKS?!?!?!?! Good god!!!
Old January 26th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #146
itsnotrequired

Likes (Received): 0

Only 4? Seems something on the order of 400 are necessary. I hear one of the new buildings will be nothing but Starbucks in every unit and that the BlueCross BlueShield building will be closing to be converted into a Starbucks...
itsnotrequired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:14 AM   #147
The Urban Politician
The City

Having read Chicago Shawn's and RiverNorth's additional info on SSP, I am stunned. I can't believe the townhomes have finally been announced. I have been waiting for those.

Another tower being announced in 1 month? Construction of 340 on the Park in 30 days?

Tell me, honestly--why would an architect in America NOT want to come to Chicago (or NY)?
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:23 AM   #148
The Urban Politician
The City

Question:

There is always a little building next to the Regatta that is depicted in the renderings. However, they never mention anything about it in the website.

Is this building also going to be condos? Is it also U/C right now along with The Regatta?
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:51 AM   #149
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Question:

There is always a little building next to the Regatta that is depicted in the renderings. However, they never mention anything about it in the website.

Is this building also going to be condos? Is it also U/C right now along with The Regatta?
Yes it will be built along with The Regatta, it's just a lowrise portion of the building, and I far as I know it also contains condos.

The Regatta model.

It's similar to the lowrise that goes along with The Shoreham

The Shoreham model
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:51 AM   #150
Rivernorth
Vertigo City

That is actually part of the Regatta. It will serve as a connection to a row of other buildings along the river in the LSE master plan. You can see that here:

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=138858

It will probably contain condo units, as well as connecting corridors, i would imagine.
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:52 AM   #151
Rivernorth
Vertigo City

Vic, you beat me to it! We responded on the exact same minute
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #152
The Urban Politician
The City

Ahh, I see.

Thanks, guys

BTW, I like the fact that they want a continuous streetwall along Wacker. It will look very impressive. Also, it is nice because that same streetwall will extend west of Michigan Avenue well into the north loop, with Waterview and Trump Tower lingering above. Ahhh, what a sight that will be.

I may never end up living in Chicago (although I'll fight hard to), but I cherish the day I'll be able to see that sight
Old January 27th, 2005, 03:01 AM   #153
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

That's possible R.N, but remember that that plan is old, it's from 2001 and it contains that arch which most likely isn't going to happen, but I guess that the next time that one of us goes down there, all we have to do is ask.
Old January 27th, 2005, 03:06 AM   #154
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
That's possible R.N, but remember that that plan is old, it's from 2001 and it contains that arch which most likely isn't going to happen, but I guess that the next time that one of us goes down there, all we have to do is ask.
Awww, man! I really like the arc. I hope they incorporate that. It would really do a lot to introduce some sunlight into a neighborhood that will likely be shrowded in shadows all day long!
Old January 27th, 2005, 03:12 AM   #155
Rivernorth
Vertigo City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Thats true. Im assuming that they would keep that continual effect though, since they seem to with the Regatta's rendering, plus how they want to incorporate retail along Upper Wacker Dr there. But yeah, we can always ask. Lets wait till it warms up
Old January 27th, 2005, 03:49 AM   #156
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivernorth
plus how they want to incorporate retail along Upper Wacker Dr there. But yeah, we can always ask. Lets wait till it warms up
^They told you that? Retail along Wacker, that is..
Old January 27th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #157
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

It's going to be fantastic! Walking along that section of Wacker has always been such a drag (save for the view). I will be disappointed if the arch is never realized though
Old January 27th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #158
The Urban Politician
The City

Not to get picky, guys, but after all this is an architectural website for supernerds

I notice, in this picture, that the northern portion of The Shoreham is supposed to have a nice sidewalk, grass, and some trees. Yet the actual construction site has a garage on the north side of the Shoreham (and the little building flanking it) that doesn't resemble what is displayed in this rendering at all. Any thoughts about this discrepancy?

Old January 28th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #159
Rivernorth
Vertigo City

Quote:
^They told you that? Retail along Wacker, that is..
Its been stated that there will be retail on upper wacker, yes.

The majority of the retail space it seems will go to the southwestern corner of Harbor Park, along West Shore Drive. They specifically stated atleast 2 grocery stores (which is good, that area needs em) and up to 4 stackbucks (bleh). So sign of a Target, though. Better, i guess. Put Target on State Street
Old January 28th, 2005, 01:51 AM   #160
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

TUP - If you look closely at that model, the sidewalk and grass appears to be elevated off of the true grade... so, it could, in theory, be a cap to the parking structure?