daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #161
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^Ahh, yes.

Nevermind
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #162
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 1066

Regatta Construction Poses Challenges
By Mark Ruda
Last updated: February 6, 2005 12:46pm

CHICAGO-Construction has begun on the $86-million, 325-unit Regatta condominium tower in the Lakeshore East neighborhood. Project manager Randy Bullard, whose James McHugh Construction Co. is building the 44-story tower on E. Wacker Drive, is expecting the unexpected before the first units are scheduled to be delivered in July 2006.

Already, wood piles supporting the walls of boat slips have been uncovered by construction crews. In the 1800s, the site was a harbor. “While we have a little more elbow room here than your typical city site, the proximity to Lake Michigan, along with the mysteries of working on a site that was first part of the lake and then filled up with debris from the Chicago Fire, will keep the project interesting,” Bullard says.

Crews are drilling 99 caissons and will pour more than 30,000 cubic yards of concrete to support the 700,000-sf building designed by DeStefano + Partners. The project is McHugh’s third in the Lakeshore East neighborhood.

Magellan Development Group and NNP Residential & Development have sold 81% of the units, which range from 650 sf to 2,500 sf.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:38 AM   #163
northsidesoxfan

Likes (Received): 0

340 on The Park

The markets being closed for President’s Day, I took a walk with the camera. Work is definitely underway at 340 on The Park. I use the word “work” to avoid the word “construction” and its technical meaning.

This is looking east on E Wacker. The Regatta crane is visible.

This sign is on upper Columbus.

This is looking SE from Upper Columbus across the site. The future site of 340 on The Park has been marked off on the right. There are already some facilities set up for the workers.

The diggers have collected piles of old wooden beams. I guess this could be some of the remnants of pre-fire Chicago. Maybe they should let some historians look for old markings on the wood.

northsidesoxfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:57 AM   #164
Rivernorth
Vertigo City

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsidesoxfan
The diggers have collected piles of old wooden beams. I guess this could be some of the remnants of pre-fire Chicago. Maybe they should let some historians look for old markings on the wood.
naw, they are nothing special, just old railroad ties. that area used to be a busy intermodal center... grain silos that lined the river would recieve and ship grain between boats and railcars.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:29 PM   #165
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Noooooo!!!! Don't involve the historians! This could delay the project so long that eventually the developer just gives up!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:58 PM   #166
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Well, I took these photos 02/17/05 at the 340 On the Park site.

What I believe that they are doing at the site presently is sweeping for debris. They are going back and forth like when you mow your lawn. The digger, digs down several feet to make sure that there are no obstructions, and if there are it's removed. As you can see in the bottom photo, they are un-earthing a lot of old railroad ties. Remember this site was once a rail yard. The site is fenced off.
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #167
itsnotrequired

Just walked by the 340 site. Cranes are on site and cassion tubes were being delivered. "Real" construction should start any day!
itsnotrequired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #168
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

woohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grant Park is going to become a more amazing space than it's ever been with the recent efforts to 'bookend' it on the north and south. Sitting in the bandshell will be quite the treat (not that it isn't already)
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:58 AM   #169
Frumie

Has this site been posted? I'm new to the forum. It's an interactive map of the Lakeshore East that when clicked on shows the heights of all structures underconstruction and those proposed for nearly the entire development

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/zo/?id=100200
Frumie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #170
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^Thanks, Frumie

However, you'll soon realize that many of us have long since seen that link.

This website is full of architects, non-architect enthusiasts, alcoholics (who love Chicago), investigational reporters (ie BVictor), photographers, etc etc who scrape and search every nook and cranny of every type of news media to find out what's going on in the world of Chicago construction. So, my friend, that link you provided was seen GENERATIONS ago!

But keep up the investigational work, please!
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 02:18 AM   #171
Patrick 340
Patrick

That Map Needs Updating

I saw that map a long time ago as well. What would be good is an updated map that reflects many of the changes and additions that have been made since the first map. It is sort of a nice tool. Anyway - The topographical views are off in a number of cases.

I would LOVE to get my hands on a topographical drawing of 340 that includes 360 and 320 Randolph. What most of the RE marketing offices are using is a view that is the footprint of the building which doesn't support examination of site-lines etc. Let me know if anyone knows where to get a peek at one of those!

Last edited by Patrick 340; March 8th, 2005 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Typo
Patrick 340 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 02:40 AM   #172
Tom in Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

^Topgraphical? The map is pretty accurate. . . I'm not sure what you're referring to. . . when Mikael (mlm) and I made it, it was meant to be representational not an exact overview. . . for now it's the best map of the area. . . we make changes to it as the buildings change status, but don't know what more we can do since we'd like to keep it as simple as possible. . .
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:33 AM   #173
pottebaum
Minneapolis

Neat project. Even cooler, if I were to land a pretty decent job in the loop one day, I could afford to rent a one bedroom apartment in The Shoreham (around $1300) I wonder if public transport will be improved in the area..I took a look at the CTA a map, and unless im looking at the wrong area, it looked sort of out of touch with both rail lines and bus routes.
pottebaum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:11 AM   #174
Patrick 340
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Chicago
^Topgraphical? The map is pretty accurate. . . I'm not sure what you're referring to. . .
We are looking for a 340 plot that has the structure above the parking garage indicated. I see the footprint of the building (340) on many drawings, however what I am looking for is the structure from floors 2 and above. We are trying to determine site-lines from within 340 as well as those site-lines impacted by 340. Particularly 360 residents in the 05 Units (NW Corner). Does that make sense?
Patrick 340 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #175
Tom in Chicago

Yes. . . but unfortunately that map is not going to be of assistance. . . I can assure you, however that your south views will be unobstructed for the foreseeable future
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #176
Tom in Chicago

Neat project. Even cooler, if I were to land a pretty decent job in the loop one day, I could afford to rent a one bedroom apartment in The Shoreham (around $1300) I wonder if public transport will be improved in the area..I took a look at the CTA a map, and unless im looking at the wrong area, it looked sort of out of touch with both rail lines and bus routes.

There are many rental units available in the area that are quite a bit less than what they're looking for at the Shoreham (check apartments.com). . . I just moved into a studio in Outer Drive East and pay significantly less than that. . . also we're pretty well served by CTA busses. . . the #60 goes all the way out to Harbor Drive via Randolph and the #20 services Illinois Center along Columbus and Wacker. . . I've taken both of these to get back home after work and they get me within a block of my building or in the case of #60, there's a stop right out in front. . . also some of the buildings have their own private bus. . . I take the private shuttle into the Loop in the mornings and return on the CTA in the evenings so despite what it looks like on paper, this "neighborhood" is in fact tied in to the rest of the public transit system. . .
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #177
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

I'm surprised there isn't more information available on the LSE market place. The LSE website has virtualy nothing on it and even the web page of the architectural firm had virtually nothing.

This sounds like it should be a major retail facility, but I find it surprising that nothing is written about it and not even spec pictures are available.

Another LSE point: this one has come up before, but nothing definitive has ever been answered. Do the developers have any plans to cover the concrete "canyon" walls that rise above the park in various segments? It seems absurd that they would leave them exposed the way they are?

Third point...never brought this one up before. I remember a brochure I had seen during the 70's or early 80's on downtown redevelopment. It had been released by the city. A number of elements have come to fruitan...i.e. the landscaping of streets such as Wacker. One interesting picture I remember was of the riverfront portion of what today is LSE. It had the exposed (and rather unattractive...especially in comparison to the classically beautiful stretch west of Mich Ave) portions of Lower Wacker covered by town houses that faced directly out to the river, covering up the view of the roadway.

Does anyone know if the developers and/or the city have plans for how this frankly brutal stretch will be redeveloped. There must be something in place. It would seem unlikely that the signature arched building would stand above something so unattractive as the Ill Center portion of Lower Wacker.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #178
ChicagoLover

Good question, edsg--isn't all of lower wccker going to be covered (eventually) by the bases of the highrises?

I hvae another question... why did they make the road in LSE one-way?!? The development is already sealed off from traffic enough.. the only entry is from Randolph. I just thought it was a little extreme to build what is essentially a big cul-de-sac..
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:38 PM   #179
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoLover
Good question, edsg--isn't all of lower wccker going to be covered (eventually) by the bases of the highrises?

I hvae another question... why did they make the road in LSE one-way?!? The development is already sealed off from traffic enough.. the only entry is from Randolph. I just thought it was a little extreme to build what is essentially a big cul-de-sac..
isn't the road essentially just a (large) ring around the park and, if so, wouldn't practicality and safety make sense if it is one way. I mean, if everyone has to turn at the corner, why would you want two way traffic?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #180
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
int: this one has come up before, but nothing definitive has ever been answered. Do the developers have any plans to cover the concrete "canyon" walls that rise above the park in various segments? It seems absurd that they would leave them exposed the way they are?

That's what the parkhomes are for. I think what we possibly need to be concerned about is how these buildings will look abutting Wacker Drive. I say this because the main level/entrance level of those towers will be the same level as upper Wacker Drive, but upper Wacker only goes so far...It doesn't go all the way to LSD. How will the walls of the highrises that face Wacker Drive furthest to the east be treated...