daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #1
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 52

My Trip to KUALA LUMPUR!!

Hi, I recently returned from a trip to KL & Bangkok and to continue my series of trips, heres a set of photos I've taken from the bustling Malaysia capital of Kuala Lumpur!!

I will start to post the photos later on the next post so stay tuned.
Enjoy!

image hosted on flickr
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #2
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

awesome trip photos, thanks for sharing them!
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #3
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244655

Sounds interesting and very nice; i looking forward to see the photos
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #4
travelworld123

ok, here are the first photos I took upon arriving in KL!

On the way to the city from the airport:

First sight of the Petronas Towers!

Getting excited after seeing the main skyline

Approaching the city centre

The tall skyscrapers within the CBD

The monorail above the road

Bukit Bintang - the lively, vibrant, shopping, area of KL. At night it comes alive even more

More of Bukit Bintang

The Menara TV Tower in the back. Still in Bukit Bintang. This pic probably doesn't show the true atmosphere of the place, again, especially at night.

Through that street you reach Jalan Alor, a very big and busy food street full of large varities of delicious meals!

More coming soon!
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #5
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4386

nice pics travelworld123.
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #6
christos-greece
Moderator!

Kuala Lumpur is always great; thanks for those new shots
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #7
sc4

Likes (Received): 88

Hi travelworld123, nice thread....how would you compare KL to Perth? I would like to hear from a visitor's point of view. I visited Perth about 10 years back and it was pretty boring and dead to me. The infrastructure, cleanliness, maintenance and public awareness were wonderful though, which I think KL needs to learn more....
sc4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #8
travelworld123

thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc4 View Post
Hi travelworld123, nice thread....how would you compare KL to Perth? I would like to hear from a visitor's point of view. I visited Perth about 10 years back and it was pretty boring and dead to me. The infrastructure, cleanliness, maintenance and public awareness were wonderful though, which I think KL needs to learn more....
Hi sc4,
Nice to see someone who also loves to find a travellers thoughts on their home city! Elaborate more on Perth!
Anyway, before we went overseas, KL was initially just a 'stopover' place before heading to our next destination and we didn't expect much as many people we've talked to as well as things we've heard/read about say that KL doesn't have much to do and see. So we thought that KL would be boring.
Since arriving and entering the Bukit Bintang area (our first impressions of the city really), we were immediately amazed at how vibrant and different the place was compared to our expectations.
At night walking around was so great - the massive shopping complexes near our hotel are only 2 minutes walk from the cheap/fake wallet & clothes stores etc... which is only 1 minute walk from massive food hawker centres which is only 5 minutes walk to the monorail which is only 5 minutes ride to the Petronas Towers... but of course this is only my experiances within the main city area.
The rest of the city also was nice, the infrastructure looked pretty good and the place felt quite clean.
I also was surprised at the amount of mixed cultures and races in the city. I knew Malaysia had the three main races but I didn't think much of it and when I arrived, I found it very nice too have the intergration of these races together.
One thing though - it's so humid and hot!

Comparing it to Perth, well Perth is just boring and everyone knows that. Perth yes is sunny, clean, good lifestyle etc... but for me, its just too bland and not lively enough.
Shops close early, theres not many highrises or skyscrapers, the population is too small, things are expensive, theres not much variety in shopping, etc... but I'm comparing with mainly Asian cities which I love.
Perth I think is too sprawled out so it makes things like transportation an issue. Whenever you go somewhere, it's almost 95% by car (if you live in the suburbs like most people).
Perth's infrastructure, cleaniness etc... is like that mainly because it's in Australia and the rules and regulations are very strict like in most western countries where things like safety, health, care for citizens is top priority.

I think with KL some of the paths are a little battered like not even, with sort of potholes in a few places but that's not much of an issue. Keep in mind most of my impressions are of the areas we visited which are mainly in the centre of KL.

Can I ask what things you did in Perth, how else you found it etc...?
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #9
sc4

Thanks for the feedback, glad to know you still enjoyed ur time here. Well, Perth was 10 yrs ago, so let me jog my memory a bit. We didn't do much in the city area, we just took the city tour, walked around a bit to Northbridge or Knightsbridge? Can't recall the name though, we were informed it was the most happening area there. We had chilli clams in a bucket, the pizza was great with real olives....LOL....I didn't manage to ride out the Transperth though but it looked great. I saw it running in the median between the highways (can't recall the name of the highway). Was surprised to see rush hour traffic jams which I didn't expect...We went to Fremantle which had a good vibe, riverside cafes, beautifully restored old buildings. Went to the Swan Bell?, Kings Park, lovely view of the city. Nice parks and waterfront, pavements, freeways and a nice lifestyle there....

What else can I recall? Hmmm....went to some pedestrian malls, can't recall the names of the streets. Was surprised to see lots of Asians around. Missed local food, and we managed to find only one Malaysian restaurant, which we didn't dine in and ended up in some Vietnamese restaurant...LOL

The weather there was sunny at the time we went, but the air was dry and the wind chill was cold. Surprised to see very little cloud cover, clear blue sky, but was not hot and humid. Lots of flies attacking you..LOL. Ended up with red sore lips and dry skin at the end of the trip...

Back to KL, yeah the city center is pretty ok, but most of us stay in the suburbs, so its pretty sprawled out as well....Do post more pics yeah....

Last edited by sc4; February 8th, 2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #10
travelworld123

interesting! Lol, yea it's called Northbridge, it gets lively at nighttime where all the bars/clubs open. And yea, rush hour on the freeway pretty common sight lol. It's the main artery that runs from north-south of Perth that most people use. Kings Park is always a nice place to visit, haven't been there myself in quite a while! The view is soon changing as Perth is getting a new skyscraper added to the skyline.

Anyway, back to KL heres some more photos.

Now we're settled in and walking around the area around our hotel. As you can see it's very vibrant!

The monorail the twists through the many highrises in central KL with the busy shopping street below

Bukit Bintang monorail station

Looking towards the famous Petronas Tower peeking through the top

and closer...

at Bukit Bintang station

got off at a random station that is near the towers, good view!

these signs are in many hotels, pretty interesting!

the incredible food street - Jalan Alor. Once entering you are just in this mess of tables, people, waiters etc...! it's great!

yum crab

beans

more coming soon
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #11
Greg

Likes (Received): 59

one of my most favourite cities.
Lovely pics, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to a few more.
Greg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #12
sc4

Nice pics....U seem pretty adventurous, glad that you're enjoying yourself. Yeah durians are pretty stinky to foreigners and the smell lingers on. Have you tried it? Yup I'm familiar with Perth's new addition, BHP Biliton-City Square Tower....I'd prefer it sleek and slender, not like a flat slab....it doesn't complement the current skyline. Perth already has a nice skyline back 10 yrs ago, and from recent pics, it looks even better, well BHP tower is still not to my liking....but I guess something's better than nothing....
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #13
travelworld123

unfortunately, i was going to try some durians but eventually forgot about it... lol, oh well next time!
your completely right about the BHP building - since Perth needs more addition to it's 2 dimensional skyline, its a good thing and wonderful for our development, but it's kinda wide and doesn't look that great.

Last edited by travelworld123; February 9th, 2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old February 10th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #14
travelworld123

Here are some more photos

First stop, Menara Tower! The tallest tower in KL and it provides a wonderful 360 view of the whole KL. You can even see the Batu caves in the distance with the golden statue.

Great view

Petronas Towers right next to us!

The area with many skyscrapers and business district

Close up of Bukit Bintang. You can see the various shopping malls (eg Low Yat Plaza on the right) and the famous Jalan Alor street there

Next stop, the Petronas Towers!!

Another shot

Close up

Beautiful towers

The park area underneath the towers also next to the Suria shopping complex. The whole area is just huge with lots of people.
There are cafes on the side, places to just sit and relax, running footpaths for excercise etc...

Inside the Suria shopping complex underneath the Petronas Towers

Outside again with various skyscrapers surrounding the park

The Pavillion Mall on the right back in the Bukit Bintang district

Back in the main street area of Bukit Bintang

We returned outside at night time to the bustling streets of Bintang walk

A sign showing the proximity of things around this area.

The Bukit Bintang monorail station again at night

Jalan Petaling - Chinatown!!

The entrance to the narrow markets of Chinatown. It's a bit like Ladies Market in Mong Kok in Hong Kong - actually inside
the stalls it looks virtually the same. All cheap and fake wallets, watches, shirts, souvenirs etc...

When you keep walking further back you reach the street food area which has many delicious foods.

mmmmmm

more Chinatown

and final night view of the incredible towers

more soon!
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #15
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4386

nice
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #16
sc4

Nice details and pics...love your commentaries....Menara Tower is actually KL Tower or Menara KL as Menara means Tower in Malay....
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #17
travelworld123

woops! ohhh now i see, i always get the name mixed up lol
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #18
travelworld123

a few more:

can you spot it? This is back in the Bukit Bintang area

Istana Negara (National Palace). The residence of the king is here. Your not allowed inside so many people were outside the gates taking photos with the guards and stuff.

Lanterns of Thean Hou Temple

Skyline in the background. Can't really tell, but that day was so hot! Also some mini Shanghai expo building was there.

The temple again, this pic makes it look empty but there were actually quite a lot of people there with this ceremony
going on inside. Also there were some models getting photoshoots done around the temple complex.

Before leaving:
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #19
christos-greece
Moderator!

Once again very nice photos from Kuala Lumpur
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #20
travelworld123

more KL sights

The Sultan Abdul Samad Building in Merdeka Square. Beautiful buildings but the day was so hot!

Dense skyscrapers in the back

The towers appear everywhere

A building viewing from a taxi

The back of the National Museum

A massive depiction of Malaysian history in the front of the National Museum

Le Meridian & Hilton hotels nearby the National Museum

Early history in the National Museum

This is pretty cool - an animation of the ancient trade routes of Asia

Berjaya Times Square building from this neighbourhood I think called Imbi

Tags
asia, bangkok, malaysia