daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #41
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

ok, I went by the site today and took some pictures. The site itself is huge. Fairly wide and very long - most of the way from the West Side highway almost to 11th Avenue. They could put up a couple super talls here.

Anyways, it is divided in middle by some construction trailers. And it looks like maybe this is not all going to be for the Pyramid as the sign describing the construction says it is for a school.

Here go the pics. First the eastern part:

image hosted on flickr

4 13 2 by 600West218, on Flickr

Looking west towards the trailers that divide the lot:

image hosted on flickr

4 13 3 by 600West218, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

4 13 4 by 600West218, on Flickr

This is the sign saying it will be a school:

image hosted on flickr

4 13 1 by 600West218, on Flickr

This is the more western part of the lot:

image hosted on flickr

4 13 5 by 600West218, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

4 13 6 by 600West218, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

4 13 8 by 600West218, on Flickr
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #42
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Curbed

Quote:
Durst Fetner Starts Digging at 625 West 57th, But Not BIG Yet

by Pete Davies

The gang at Durst Fetner have finally started to dig down into their mega-site at 625 West 57th Street, but the highly anticipated pyramid scheme from Bjarke Ingels Group, first made public over a year ago, still hasn't gotten the go ahead. Filings at the Department of Buildings show what's initially planned just south of the grand old IRT Powerhouse is a 5-story stump, rather than BIG's 450 foot slope of residences with great river views. Zoning diagrams for this comparatively puny 80-foot plateau showed up in mid-April, and what they reveal are plans for a big rectangular box.

Durst reps announced in December that this spring would bring the start of construction, and they've made good on their promise. The developers also acknowledged that this site, given the zoning complexities, could possibly see something more conventional than Bjarke's BIG metal mountain rising above Joltin' Joe's stretch of riverfront roadway. But with money moving once again, we're ever hopeful that the pyramid will come to pass. This weekend a watchful sleuth at Wired New York posted the first shots of Durst's big dig out, showing a bevy of heavy equipment doing some dirty deeds on site. Right now the expanse of land at 625 West 57th is a big blank slate, with only the first markings being made, a time when everyone can be optimistic about what's to come.

---
This is truly worrying. Restrictions might force the developers to set the now-iconic pyramid aside for something much more ordinary. As it stands, what's being built now is exactly that: an ordinary 5 story retail stump.

From this:

To This?

Stay tuned...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #43
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Curbed

This is truly worrying. Restrictions might force the developers to set the now-iconic pyramid aside for something much more ordinary. As it stands, what's being built now is exactly that: an ordinary 5 story retail stump.

Stay tuned...
No no, the 5 story stump will most likely not be built. When going through the NYC approvals process (Uniform Land Use Review Procedure or ULURP) there is a requirement to show a "Proposed scenario" and then a "No Build scenario" - developers generally show the crappiest building possible in order to make a case why their proposal should be built. I used to work for the city and saw this done many times. I would not worry about the stump... I'm more worried about them requesting alterations to the design like Torre Verre. I think something like a height change would really reduce the impact of this design.
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #44
karnilla
royalty!

Likes (Received): 0

It's weird and I like it!
karnilla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #45
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
No no, the 5 story stump will most likely not be built. When going through the NYC approvals process (Uniform Land Use Review Procedure or ULURP) there is a requirement to show a "Proposed scenario" and then a "No Build scenario" - developers generally show the crappiest building possible in order to make a case why their proposal should be built. I used to work for the city and saw this done many times. I would not worry about the stump... I'm more worried about them requesting alterations to the design like Torre Verre. I think something like a height change would really reduce the impact of this design.
I hope you're right.
This design is unique in so many ways!
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:59 AM   #46
Hippodamus
GRID all the way

Likes (Received): 32

I hope nothing will happen to the industrial beauty on the southside? Maybe a facelift with a new function? (maybe someone knows)

edit: yes northside

Last edited by Hippodamus; July 7th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Hippodamus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #47
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippodamus View Post
I hope nothing will happen to the industrial beauty on the southside? Maybe a facelift with a new function? (maybe someone knows)
The IRT power plant on W.59th St just north of the pyramid site? It's still embattled as community groups fight for landmark status while the owner ConEdison, on the other side, wants to be able to redevelop the property without restriction. If it can be preserved, groups led by Graydon Carter of Vanity Fair want to transform it into a museum.

http://newyork.untappedcities.com/20...-powerstation/

Old July 7th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #48
Hippodamus
GRID all the way

Likes (Received): 32

Wow, reading that article I think it would be a disaster for the history of architecture in NY if they tear it down. Ofcourse, the contrast with this t0-build pyramid would be gigantic but imo would be good for the diversity in the area. They could transform it to something functional and beautiful again. But yeah, money.

Quote:
The possibilities seem endless for one of Gotham’s grandest buildings. Today, landmark designation for the building enjoys wide support, including that of Mayor Michael Bloomberg who sees its potential as a cultural center for the city. The recent addition of the former IRT Powerhouse to New York’s list of endangered treasures means the building is that much closer to claiming its place at the center of city life.
This comforts me. But I hate to see the owner continues to make drastic alterations to keep it of the preservation list. It's what too many investors/developers do these days.

Last edited by Hippodamus; July 7th, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Hippodamus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #49
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Approval Process Begins For Durst Fetner's West Side Pyramid

image hosted on flickr

Quote:
More than a year after unveiling plans for a pyramid-shaped building on West 57th Street near the West Side Highway, Durst Fetner Residential will begin carrying the plans through the land-use review process. According to the Wall Street Journal, the developer will start the seven-month effort, which includes votes by the City Planning Commission and City Council today.

When the renderings were first released in February 2011, the local community board expressed general support for the project and the Journal said Douglas Durst appears confident the plan will get approved. Excavation work on the site has already begun.

The building, which was designed by Danish architectural firm Bjarke Ingels Group to feature a sloped roof and blend the European block look with a traditional Manhattan high rise building, calls for 750 units. One-fifth of them are slated to be affordable. The Journal speculated that the community would call for more open space and below-market rate units to be included in the project.

Old July 30th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #50
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Welcome to approval HELL

Curbed

Quote:
Community Board Ambivalent About Hell's Kitchen Pyramid

Wednesday, July 25, 2012, by Curbed Staff

Just as we predicted, developer the Durst Organization came up against a teeny tiny problem when it brought its magic pyramid at 625 West 57th Street before Community Board 4 last night. CB 4 members weren't exactly fond of the provision that the project's affordable housing would be available for only 35 years. This despite the developer's promise that in addition to the "sustainability" and "architectural innovation," the building will also "offer affordable units available for a baby born this year." We're not really sure what that means, or how it answers the community board's concerns about the 35-year timeline.

Durst announced that if everything went efficiently and accordingly to plans (if!) the Pyramid would be completed in Spring 2015. CB 4 liked that promise, as well as the 410,000 square feet that the plan for the parking garage and building would unlock. Community board members also liked Durst's suggestion that the Children's Museum could be housed on the building's ground floor—but a rep from Durst awkwardly admitted they hadn't spoken to the organization in "over a year."

In the end, the lack of permanent affordable housing was simply a no-go for CB 4, partly because the 'hood has more affordable housing set to expire than any other community in the state of New York, members said. Ultimately, CB 4 decided to table a decision on the pyramid for a later date.
—Arabella Watters

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:09 PM   #51
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Old August 11th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #52
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Increasing signs of activity at the site: http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...l=1#post400487

Construction of the base will probably be underway by the time the fate of the pyramidal tower is decided...

Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM   #53
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Rock excavation continuing on the west side

Also anyone wanting to get photo's of this site watch out. The security guards will question you left and right about what your doing. They also think there the traffic police questioning about parking your own vehicle where you want even if it is parked legally.
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #54
singoone
€ Scraping the sky €

Likes (Received): 666

What an extraordinary project! Just love it.
singoone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #55
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ccr
Rock excavation continuing on the west side

Also anyone wanting to get photo's of this site watch out. The security guards will question you left and right about what your doing. They also think there the traffic police questioning about parking your own vehicle where you want even if it is parked legally.
Why are they so cautious?
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #56
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarch21 View Post
Why are they so cautious?
To be honest- No idea. Still amazes me how they have glass holes in the plywood to see in and the one picture I take I get questioned. Oh and when a security guard questions about why my car is parked (when it's half way down the block not even near the site) it just leads me to believe he is completely bored and had nothing else to do. That was the first and last time I ever go by there, dealing with them is like talking to the wall! Glad I was the highlight of his day
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #57
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Crossing my fingers for this project. It's my second-favorite proposal in the city, currently.
Old September 18th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #58
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Someone else pointed out and I tend to agree that this building looks more like a sailboat. This build and perhaps a couple more like it facing in radiating positions jutting out onto the water would be spectacular and akin to the Sydney Opera House.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #59
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Pilings being sunk:

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by Calcio1008, on Flickr

Architect Bjarke Ingels has also moved to New York to oversee the construction:

Quote:
ABSTRACT: PROFILE of Danish architect Bjarke Ingels. At thirty-seven, Bjarke Ingels—who recently moved from Denmark to New York, in part, so that he could oversee construction of a giant white wedge of an apartment building that will fill most of an empty block on West Fifty-seventh—is in the first rank of international architects, or nearly so. He has a body of admired work in Denmark, including a remarkable four-hundred-and-seventy-six-unit apartment building,

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...#ixzz266IQdCkQ
Tip o' the hat to Czervik.Construction and Infoshare at Wired NY!

Last edited by desertpunk; October 7th, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old October 7th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #60
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Doesn't piling still count as prep work?

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
625 w.57th st. west side, bjarke ingels, manhattan, new york, nyc, pyramid, w57