daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Uganda > Projects & Construction

Old February 12th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #1
u.g boy

Likes (Received): 164

KAMPALA | Kingdom Kampala Hotel and Retail Centre | Mixed-Use | 34 fl | U/C

New Shimoni land owner revealed
SHARE BOOKMARKPRINTEMAILRATING

The construction site of the five-star hotel at Shimoni. PHOTO BY YUSUF MUZIRANSA.

By Walter Wafula (email the author)
Posted Saturday, December 11 2010 at 00:00
Kampala

Mr Ashish Thakker, the real estate entrepreneur behind Kensington Luxury Homes in Uganda and the Kensington Krystal Tower in Dubai, is the new owner of the Shimoni land in Kampala.

The land was originally owned by the government and housed Shimoni Demonstration Primary School. But in 2006, the school was demolished and relocated to Kololo, to give way for the construction of a five- star hotel for Chogm in 2007. Mr Thakker, 29, is among the initial group of 100 space tourists booked on the Virgin Galactic space ship.

Mr Thakker, also the chief executive officer Kensington Real Estate, paid $200,000 (about Shs456 million) to sign up for the luxury flight. He owns the Mara Group with subsidiaries including, Raps and Railey Media and Packaging in Uganda.
His company Azure Holdings, a subsidiary of the Kensington Group in Uganda, has started the construction of a five-star hotel on the Shimoni land.

In an interview on Thursday, Dr Maggie Kigozi, the executive director Uganda Investment Authority, said Azure acquired the Shimon piece of land from Kingdom Holdings in Dubai which failed to put up a hotel at the prime city location. Kingdom Holdings paid $2 million for the land and I think they paid slightly over that, Dr Kigozi said, estimating the cost at about $2.6 million (about Shs6 billion). Dr Kigozi said the project was authorised by the Minister of Finance last year and will attract investment of up to $80 million (Shs182 billion).

Kensington plans to add an urban commercial centre that will rival the Oasis and Garden City shopping malls, at the venue. According to details on the artistic impression erected on Nile Avenue, Azure plans to construct a hotel with 34 floors and 250 luxury rooms.

The building will be the second tallest building in East Africa after Kenyas Times Tower. The ground will also be home to Kampalas largest conventional centre and will have parking space for 1,500 vehicles. When Daily Monitor visited the site yesterday, excavation work for the construction of the underground parking had been halted.

Some external problems with KCC and the ministry have to be sorted out first, a source at the site who is not authorised to speak on behalf of project said. But Dr Maggie said Azure has been in talks with the National Water and Sewerage Corporation to find a way of shifting water pipes at the location.

In Dubai, Kensington is setting up the Kensington Krystal, a corporate office building with 60,000 square meters of space. The 36-storey tower, which is valued at Shs433 billion, is scheduled for completion in 2012.

the project has changed and been talked over for years but construction has properly staretd and the plan is to have a 34 storey hotel with a conventional centre and shopping will public park etc.

new renders for the site
the site will host a 34 storey hotel and many offer facilities.
KINGDOM KAMPALA
URBAN MASTERPLAN

Client:Kingdom Kampala Ltd.
Other consultants:Landmark Studios (Landscape)Arup (Transport & Security)
Gross area: 245,000m2
Project status:Construction

master plan renders

retail and office park renders

kingdom Kampala Hotel details
Design/Completion: 2010/2013
Site Area: 25,376 sq.m
Gross Floor Area: 41,864 sq.m

Sited on the crest of a hill in the heart of Kampala the new 30 storey, 320 room Intercontinental Hotel will be one of a number of proposed high rise structures set to transform the image of the capital city of Uganda.

The hotel will include extensive convention facilities and will be part of a mixed use development which also includes commercial offices and upscale retail.

The hotel will be linked to the commercial office and retail elements by landscaped pedestrian pathways and cascading water features.

The hotel tower will contain a mix of accommodation as well as 30 serviced apartments for long stay guests. An executive lounge, fine dining restaurant and a sky terrace on the uppermost level of the hotel offer guests unparalleled and breathtaking views toward Lake Victoria to the south and the city to the north.

The Architectural language, whilst broadly International, echoes local architecture, reinforced by the use of local African colours and textures on exterior surfaces.

The open spaces around the hotel, in particular between the hotel and convention centre, will be extensively landscaped. An innovative use of green wall technology will be applied to the hotel tower to soften the appearance of the structure and define the grand arrival terrace for the hotel and convention centre.

hotel and convection centre renders

u.g boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 13th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Minsk

Likes (Received): 568

Beautiful) I hope that it will be built.
Minsk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #3
u.g boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsk View Post
Beautiful) I hope that it will be built.
its already under construction
Old February 14th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #4
sseki2010
Hustler 4rm kampala

Likes (Received): 37

very nice a project, it has already started....
sseki2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #5
tita01

Likes (Received): 776

updates
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Mintali
Engineer d's art't enjoys

Likes (Received): 787

Was the interior inspired by the Ugandan national colours? I tend to like it.
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Andrew Clarke
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

kingdom kampala hotel is one of the way to create the retail business due to its higher class people meetings and it has very huge compound space for the retail business.
Andrew Clarke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #8
u.g boy

The tower is finally rising after all the basement floor were completed .
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #9
đđeůx
DrEameR

Likes (Received): 1415

Nice to see construction started. I didn't think it'd happen for awhile given the financing needed for the project.
đđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:04 AM   #10
LADEN
Solid As A Rock

Likes (Received): 230

good news.
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:21 PM   #11
Kinyakankick
Lights of Africa

Likes (Received): 25

Great to see the tallest in kampala rising now. Hilton will soon be de-throned
Kinyakankick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 422

Im curious as to how they will grow those creeper plants on the upper floors. It will sure make a unique facade against the terracotta frame of the tower.

I hope the main tower faces the Oasis mall. It will be easier to take pics of it if it does.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:26 AM   #13
đđeůx
DrEameR

Likes (Received): 1415

You can't take pics in Kampala either?
đđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #14
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by đđeůx View Post
You can't take pics in Kampala either?
Since they increased the number of cops on the street and the terror attacks, its been really hard for me to casually take pics around Kampala. But I'll try my best. I'm in western Uganda at the moment.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:59 PM   #15
u.g boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
Since they increased the number of cops on the street and the terror attacks, its been really hard for me to casually take pics around Kampala. But I'll try my best. I'm in western Uganda at the moment.
you in mbarara . if so please takes some pics i love that city. yes as kenguy said since the terrorist bombings Kampala has been on high alert with all major event and buildings taking new security measure
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:25 PM   #16
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.g boy View Post
you in mbarara . if so please takes some pics i love that city. yes as kenguy said since the terrorist bombings Kampala has been on high alert with all major event and buildings taking new security measure
Yes I'm near Mbarara. I will upload pics soon. I'm just on the road again as usual.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:27 AM   #17
u.g boy

50% milestone of Kingdom Kampala Phase 1 achieved on programme

Public awareness in Kampala is gradually rising as the first phase of the massive Kingdom Kampala development has started to grow beyond the line of the site hoarding.

Block A, as the first stage is internally known, comprises of three underground parking levels, two floors of luxury shopping mall and eight levels of prime office space. It will provide 4,000m2 of retail area and 15,000m2 of office space above three levels of basement parking. The structural frame is due for completion in February 2013.

Last edited by u.g boy; April 2nd, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:36 AM   #18
u.g boy

sorry the large image is another office located in the same area . i posted 2 new images of the current progress .
Old July 25th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #19
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 1010

Updates
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #20
u.g boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Adama View Post
Updates
I don't have any at the moment ill have a look.