daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #81
il fenomeno
♥ helfen statt hetzen ♥

Likes (Received): 22630

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy David

Here is a picture of the A380's wings from behind - this is advanced wing design for you:
can you elaborate, whats so advanced about the A380 wings? dont get me wrong, im just interested
il fenomeno no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #82
xDieselJockx

Likes (Received): 1

Why are you guys too particular about the wingshape of an aircraft like in B747-8? Aesthetic designs of the wing is not so important to me, now, if it's the aerodynamic sense of the design is whole different ball game to me.

Increased safety features, added convinience, maybe some more luxury in these newly designed aircrafts is my main thing even if I usually fly in a couch class.

When it come to fuselage or the body of the aircraft (is that how you call it?) for some reason, i kinda like B747-8 or the new 787, but, we'll have to see when it actually is introduced in the public and the media as I've only seen the renderings of the design, unlike A380 which is actually making a test worldwide for airport compatibilities.
xDieselJockx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:38 AM   #83
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

Likes (Received): 12

I still love the A380 No matter what!!!
LULU – Locally Unwanted Land Use.
NOPE – Not On Planet Earth
BANANA – Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

Anymore????
bs_lover_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:47 AM   #84
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
Based on exterior looks, the new 747 looks MUCH better than the A380.

I think the A380 needs to be longer so it looks more proportional. The A380-800 kinda reminds me of the 747SP. Short and fat.

Marco Polo liked this post
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #85
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by il fenomeno
can you elaborate, whats so advanced about the A380 wings? dont get me wrong, im just interested
No problems . Here is why:

If you look at the picture I posted, you will see that the wing changes shape as it extends from the fuselage to the wing tip. This shape is quite organic, and by that I mean that it mimics the shape of a bird's wing.

It is widely known in the aeronautical industry that imitating birds and their wing shapes is the way forward - birds have been evolving for millions of years, after all, and so their wings are incredibly advanced and efficient.

And so Airbus, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, NASA etc have spent millions of dollars researching ways to make aeroplane wings behave and perform like the wings of a bird.

Obviously, the A380's wings are not that advanced yet, but they are the next stage in aerofoil design, and are much more advanced than the Boeing 747's wing design.

So to summarize, the A380's wings are more advanced because they more closely mimic nature than any other Aeroplane on the market just now.

I hope that helps

Ultimately, aircraft wings will be able to change shape during flight to make them more efficient at different speeds and altitudes, but this is many years away.....
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:10 AM   #86
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

The A380 is ugly compared to this...

A bigger 747, that is so awesome! Apparently the B747-8 is almost as big as the A380, The 747 adv has a max liftoff weight of about 500 tons according to boeings website, The A380 has a liftoff weight of 600 tons. I hope boeing will make an even bigger plane than this eventually!

Those engines look weird though, look at the back.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 05:49 AM   #87
Kai Tak
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

I think the US Government should purchase two 747-800s to replace the existing "Air Force One"-s, which are 747-200s.

Kai Tak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #88
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Tak
I think the US Government should purchase two 747-800s to replace the existing "Air Force One"-s, which are 747-200s.

Good call, I agree with you.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:39 AM   #89
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Boeing team to develop post-737 jet

Thursday, March 2, 2006
Boeing team to develop post-737 jet
By Dominic Gates
Seattle Times aerospace reporter

Only a couple weeks after rolling out the 5,000th 737, Boeing formally named an initial planning team to lead development of a replacement for the Renton-built jet.

On Boeing's internal Web site Tuesday, the company announced that Mike Cave, vice president for airplane programs, will direct the work.

"The Next-Generation 737 is a wonderful airplane with a strong future in the marketplace; the challenge of dramatically improving on its proven economy, performance and reliability is a daunting task and one that will take considerable innovation," Cave said in the Boeing news item.

"The leaders we've named today understand the challenge and are the right team to assess both the market requirements and necessary technology developments."

The decisions made by the new team, from timing to location of assembly, could have a huge impact here.

In December, commercial airplanes Chief Executive Alan Mulally, said a replacement for the single-aisle 737 would enter service between 2012 and 2015 and hinted it will be assembled in the Puget Sound area. It's unclear if that would be in Renton or in Everett.

The project team includes:

• Carolyn Brandsema, director of engineering for the 737/MMA program, who will head the study of the airplane and the production system used to build it.

It's expected that the replacement jet will have a carbon fiber-based plastic fuselage like the 787, and will use the innovative, flexible manufacturing methods that will be introduced for the larger jet next year.

Also like the 787, the new program will likely require orchestration of a global supply chain, with major overseas partners contributing large sections of the aircraft.

• Kent Fisher, a marketing vice president in the commercial-airplane division, will head business development. His job will be to ensure that whatever Boeing comes up with is what the airlines want.

• Don Moon, now on the 787 program-management team, will consider how best to manage the project.

• Rod Wheeler, director of finance estimating and planning in the commercial-airplanes division, will work out what it will all cost.

Major partners on the program are likely to have to contribute their own investment to reduce Boeing's development costs.

Initiating a new airplane program has the potential to hurt sales of the current jet — airlines might become reluctant to buy if they think that a new, improved jet could be available soon.

So even as it made the announcement internally, Boeing sought to play down the move.

"Someday both the Next-Generation 737 and the (Airbus) A320 will need to be replaced, but so far we have not found a more compelling airplane for the single-aisle market," Cave said in his statement. "Until we do, we will continue to invest in the Next-Generation 737."

Despite the description of the team as being formed for "initial studies" of a 737 replacement, early exploratory work has been going on within Boeing for several years.

At the Farnborough Air Show in July 2004 a top executive with a major systems supplier confided that his company was already discussing concepts with Boeing on what was then code-named the Y1 project.

Boeing spokesman Craig Martin said the internal announcement doesn't mean the 737 replacement program will launch any earlier than publicly stated by Mulally last year.

To deliver in 2012, Boeing would have to launch the program soon after airlines take their first 787s in 2008.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:39 AM   #90
FM 2258

I would love them to take the MD90 and Boeing 717 and use composite skins with more efficient engines. That would be my dream post 737-jet. Continue with the DC-9 into the future.
Old October 19th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #91
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18188

Boeing Stretches New 747, Increases Seating Capacity

Boeing Stretches New 747, Increases Seating Capacity
18 October 2006

SEATTLE (AP)--Boeing Co. (BA) is lengthening the passenger version of its new 747 widebody jet so airlines can squeeze in about 17 extra seats, a move that will bring the new plane a tad closer to the seating capacity of rival Airbus' (ABI.YY) massive A380.

The 747-8 Intercontinental will now seat 467 people, up from 450 in the previous design, Randy Baseler, vice president of marketing for Boeing Commercial Airplanes, said in a recent Web log posting.

The passenger version is now expected to be 250 feet, 8 inches, the same length as the freighter version of the new airplane.

The current 747-400 model seats 416 people.

The new 747 is still a far cry from the A380, which can seat 550 people in a typical three-class configuration. But the move narrows the gap between the two and could help Boeing attract more customers. Baseler said in his Web posting that the company is still aiming for customers wishing to replace older 747s.

Boeing has seen interest in the freighter version of its new 747, but no airline has ordered the passenger version of the airplane. Airlines will begin receiving the new 747 freighters in late 2009, and the passenger version isn't expected to be delivered until 2010.

The A380, which has yet to enter service, is facing significant delays that have led to major upheaval at Airbus.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #92
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

I think with the A380 problems and delays airlines might start looking at the 747 again. It is tried and proven time after time.
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #93
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

That will make it the world's longest airliner at 76.4m - slightly longer than the Airbus A340-600 at 75.3m.

1) B747-800 = 76.4m
2) A340-600 = 75.3m
3) B777-300 = 73.9m
4) A380-800 = 73.0m
5) B747-400 = 70.6m

Last edited by Monkey; October 22nd, 2006 at 03:30 PM.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #94
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18188

I can't imagine what that will look like. The A340-600 already looks super-long!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #95
phenom
The Darkside

It won't appear as elongated as the A346 since its body has greater girth.
phenom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:19 AM   #96
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1739

nice the 747 has always been my favourite

Marco Polo liked this post
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:51 AM   #97
Brice

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
nice the 747 has always been my favourite
Yes but it is very old
Brice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:59 AM   #98
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

I think customers can still find the completely new design of the A380 appealing. Passengers of the future may get the impression that the 747 is so old, even though it has been thoroughly updated all along.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:46 AM   #99
cmoonflyer
Mainland Sea & Sky

Likes (Received): 73

Good news , but necessary?
We looked at mountains until dawn, and then when dawn came, it was too pretty for me - there was pink and blue and gold, in the sky, and on icy places, brilliant pink and gold flashes, and the snow was colored too, and I said," Oh," and sighed; and each moment was more beautiful than the one before; and I said, " I love you, Momma." Then I fell asleep in her arms.
That was happiness then.

- Harold Brodkey
cmoonflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:17 PM   #100
phenom
The Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice View Post
Yes but it is very old
Only the basic fuselage design is old.
The 747-8's wings, cockpit, vital systems, interior and most specifically, its engines are cutting-edge new.
The venerable *Queen of the Skies' latest incarnation's technology is borrowed heavily from the Dreamliner; the most advanced airliner yet designed.....and soon to fly.

*She will still reign supreme till at least the end of next year as the wiring-challenged pretender to the title is still languishing on the factory floor, its innards ripped out.
phenom no está en línea   Reply With Quote