daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2014, 04:48 AM   #1041
Highveld Lion

Likes (Received): 2

Forgot to mention lease is through ICBC bank in mainland China and might be the first of several deals in regard to b747-8 sales announced through this bank in the coming months. Expect some positive news also in regards to Emirates within 3 to 4 weeks...
Highveld Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #1042
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highveld Lion View Post
Asiana to acquire 4 or 5 B747-8 freighters through a leasing company.
Quote:
Asians is about to sign for 4 or 5 b747-8 through a leasing company. Deal to be announced next month by Boeing..
Quote:
Forgot to mention lease is through ICBC bank in mainland China and might be the first of several deals in regard to b747-8 sales announced through this bank in the coming months. Expect some positive news also in regards to Emirates within 3 to 4 weeks...
Great news for Boeing & OZ....

Any chance of "Editing" the 1st post opposed to 3 posts?
Old June 19th, 2014, 06:07 AM   #1043
bahamut_zero
chinito na moreno

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Well, this is grat news that OZ will be acquiring some -8Fs. Hope they wil, also go for the -8I.

Are you sure about EK? I thought the deal with Boeing fizzled last week. I'm not expecting the arab carriers to use the -8i. They are too fixated with the A380.
Old June 19th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #1044
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7austin View Post
Photo Report of Flight LH 796 Frankfurt - Hong Kong:
Occupancy was rather low in Y, I had three seats for myself. Lufthansa seems to have some trouble filling the seats.
Flight was operated by a Boeing 747-8i D-ABYN.
3 seats to yourself in economy is like winning the lottery on such a long flight!

It makes a trip so much better when you can lay flat to sleep!
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #1045
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 810

Quote:
3 seats to yourself in economy is like winning the lottery on such a long flight!
On Germany-Asia flights on Lufthansa I usually have 3 seats for myself (in 8 in 10 cases).
Lufthansa is struggling in Asia.
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #1046
Alex67

Likes (Received): 258

Cargolux
http://http://aviationspotters.net/u...r_name=sas1965
Alex67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #1047
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 373

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2259...efficient-a380

So the 747-8i does have better fuel efficiency then the a380??
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #1048
XWB
Too low - terrain

Likes (Received): 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalomatt1027 View Post
http://seekingalpha.com/article/2259...efficient-a380

So the 747-8i does have better fuel efficiency then the a380??
The conclusion says:

"Boeing 747-8I and Airbus A380 seem to have similar fuel efficiencies."

Quote:
Expect some positive news also in regards to Emirates within 3 to 4 weeks...
Unless you have more information, Tim Clark replied he's not interested in the 747-8i.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...rtures-399923/
XWB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 03:50 AM   #1049
ddes

Likes (Received): 935

I don't think the OZ deal is true. Asiana is moving towards an all-Airbus fleet, why would it randomly add 4 to 5 B747-8 that it doesn't need.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #1050
gennadius
Per ardua, ad astra

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I don't think the OZ deal is true. Asiana is moving towards an all-Airbus fleet, why would it randomly add 4 to 5 B747-8 that it doesn't need.
First, it is the ICBC Financial Leasing Company that is in talks to add the frame to its portfolio.

Second, it is for the -8F variant, and Asiana currently operates 10 older 747Fs. ICBC would be looking to place it with them to allow them to retire some of the older frames.

As of this time, there has been no other statement from any of the parties regarding the reported talks. We'll just have to see what comes of the process.
gennadius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 05:54 AM   #1051
Highveld Lion

You are exactly right. Asiansa is looking to acquire frames to retire 747-400f and replace them with newer 748 f . As for an explanation why is Emirates might be interested in B748, I will provide you a very detail analysis I early next week. I am actually on a business trip in Asia and upon my return to the USA ( by the way on a Korean Airlines flight to DFW), I will explain you that Emirates might buy some 747-8 to force Airbus to develop the 380 Neo. Because deep down , Emirates have realized that buying 50 more 380s does not make any sense as the plane will be obsolete by 2020.. I will give you a detail analysis comparing the 773, 748, 380 and coming 779 ... Emirates knows that they are the key to the Airbus program...Without them Airbus would be in the same boat than Boeing with the 747-8....Frankly it makes no sense to me for Emirates to buy 50 more 380s if they are not neos. The 779 is going to make the A380 as it is an obsolete bird...
Old June 20th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #1052
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

The crew rest area on the 748 is in the ceiling so EK would have the whole cabin for seating. Also would fit perfect on routes where they're SJ's are at 80/90 percent load capacity.

They can also recieve the airfrmes ASAP.

wonder what the best range/cargo weight/seating Boeing can offer them?
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #1053
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7austin View Post
On Germany-Asia flights on Lufthansa I usually have 3 seats for myself (in 8 in 10 cases).
Lufthansa is struggling in Asia.
Sorry, just because you had luck to have several seats for yourself, you cannot generalise it. If LH could not fill it, they wouldn't send a B748 to HKG. Their general load factor on FRA - HKG is still as it was all the years before ~85%, which is quite good. Additionally, it's the business cabin where the money is earned.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 05:10 AM   #1054
Highveld Lion

Coming back to Emirates and the possibility of them buying 747-8. I think they might buy few but not as an alternative t the A380. I see have having over 200 to 300 A380s in their fleet by 2030. They will also have A330 neos in abundance and also 779 . They are killing the competition and will put a serious threat to any major Asian carrier in the future. Twenty years ago almost every flight I took to the Orient was through Hong Kong and Cathay. As a customer I wiil be switching to Emirates in the future. I already did on all the destinations that I flew to Africa or India last year. Before I use to fly from the USA to either Heathrow, CdG or Frankfurt. I give you an example, I did fly to Johannesburg out of Dfw last September. I could have flown Dfw Dulles on a crapy Md80 an then take Saa, fly to heathrow on a BA 747 and then another BA to JoBurg or go to Paris on a crappy 767 and change to am Af flight. I went Emirates to Dubai and JoBurg with Emirates. The airline service and attention are amazing. And Dubai airport makes T5 at Heathrow, CdG and Dfw looks like Greyhound stations. The glamour and the city that serounds it is unbeliavable.
Old June 21st, 2014, 06:09 AM   #1055
Highveld Lion

One more point , Emirates did cancel the Airbus 350 order because they need bigger planes for their network. In this perspective , the 747-8 fit the bills perfectly beside the A380. The deliveries would happen rapidly. Boeing will discount heavily the planes and Emirates can enter the planes on less glamorous destinations than the one deserved by the A380 and move tons of people to Dubai to connect to over parts of the world . Brilliant strategy....
Old June 21st, 2014, 07:29 AM   #1056
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 891

Boeing 747-8i would have been a perfect replacement of A350. Considering that it can flew a very long distance, yet its passenger capacity is almost comparable to A380 (by quite a large margin actually, but much larger than A350 nevertheless).
Old June 23rd, 2014, 05:51 AM   #1057
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

[IMG]http://i61.************/2m6uxdf.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Lufth...830/2460090/L/

gennadius liked this post
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #1058
XWB
Too low - terrain

Likes (Received): 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
If it's fitted with the most recent engine PIP and the improved software it will be significantly better then the original specs of the early 747-8Fs.

And it's the quickest option to get one, if they are growing as fast as they say they are doing and need one right now it could be a valid option.
AirBridgeCargo complained about payload shortfalls, the engine PIP will not resolve this issue. New build 747-8's are significant lighter than the first models and can take more/heavier payload (MTOW was increased from 442 to 448 tons in 2012). Therefore I don't see them taking LN 1437.

Regarding availability, I'm convinced Boeing can offer them a delivery slot within the next 12 months.

Last edited by XWB; June 25th, 2014 at 02:10 PM.
XWB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #1059
gennadius
Per ardua, ad astra

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWB View Post
AirBridgeCargo complained about payload shortfalls, the engine PIP will not resolve this issue. New build 747-8's are significant lighter than the first models and can take more/heavier payload (MTOW was increased from 442 to 448 tons in 2012). Therefore I don't see them taking LN 1437.

Regarding availability, I'm convinced Boeing can offer them a delivery slot within the next 12 months.
I always wondered about this. When they talk about improvements to the airframe like removing weight and increasing the payload (MTOW), can those be applied to earlier frames as well? Like something that can be done as part of maintenance, or that they can have Boeing do retroactively?

Or does it really depend more on the nature of the weight being taken out? What about with the MTOW increases, those are generally done after a review of existing data as opposed to something having to be added in, correct?

Thanks!
gennadius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #1060
billding

Likes (Received): 733

Who does this stored one belong to?

Can anyone help me understand why unecessary photos are being added here in between posts, I mean whats the purpose of these unless there are discussions going on regarding them.

Bart_LCY liked this post

Last edited by billding; June 26th, 2014 at 09:56 AM.
billding no está en línea   Reply With Quote