daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:37 AM   #1161
seven13

Likes (Received): 68

Hannover at HKIA last 24JUL14

patel2897, Iggis liked this post
seven13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2014, 01:09 AM   #1162
BBMW

Likes (Received): 35

The era of the four engined passenger jet is over. Any new designs from now on will be two engined. There's no real reason to have more than two.

Now that Boeing has committed to the 777X like, this isn't going to happen, but prior to that, I was hoping that Boeing would design a new aircraft that was basically the 747 form factor (say in the 400 and 800 model capacities and layouts, complete with the limited upper deck), but done using the 787 technologies (twin engine, full carbon fiber structure, all electric, bleedless, etc..) Such an aircraft would be hugely efficient if it could be kept full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalomatt1027 View Post
So then what do you think of the a380? I think its a fat pig that needs to be slimmed down. Its no where close to where is should be.

the 747-8i is best technically advanced version of the 747. Not much they can add or change. They made it the lightest, most fuel efficient, and technically advanced 747 they could make.

and if they wanted to add a complete 2nd deck .... they easily could. Originally the 747 was designed with 2 full decks
BBMW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 04:49 AM   #1163
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The era of the four engined passenger jet is over. Any new designs from now on will be two engined. There's no real reason to have more than two.

Now that Boeing has committed to the 777X like, this isn't going to happen, but prior to that, I was hoping that Boeing would design a new aircraft that was basically the 747 form factor (say in the 400 and 800 model capacities and layouts, complete with the limited upper deck), but done using the 787 technologies (twin engine, full carbon fiber structure, all electric, bleedless, etc..) Such an aircraft would be hugely efficient if it could be kept full.
The four engine era is starting to end. With more powerful engines, less 747 sales, end of the a340... The A380 might as well be the last successful four engine passenger aircraft ever built. So future aircraft might looks something like this:

Except without the shark tooth nacelle, since the 777x has found better technology than it.

patel2897, charmedone liked this post
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #1164
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

I agree with the 777x / 2 engine aircraft are going to kill the 747 program.

My point was: the 747-8i is the MAXED out / best version of the 747 they could build. They cant make it any better then the 8i.
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #1165
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11252

To continue from earlier...

Air China's first B747-8I, taxiing at Paine Field (reg. B-2485)

Looks mighty impressive indeed, especially that it will keep its Boeing tradition for a longer period of time (after the departure of its final B747-400s soon).

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Qtya, patel2897, gennadius liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #1166
Fafejta Martin
Fafejta Martin

Likes (Received): 41

In what month Korean Air receives its first 747-8I?
Fafejta Martin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #1167
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3604

Korean Air B747-8I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafejta Martin View Post
In what month Korean Air receives its first 747-8I?
Korean Air B747-8I will be Delivered from 2015 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #1168
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11252

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
The livery on the China Airlines 747-8 doesn't do the 747-8 any justice. The livery on the plane is 50 years old.
Ummm... Air China should not (and I'm not kidding here) be confused with China Airlines.

Air China is the flag carrier of the People's Republic of China, and it is a Star Alliance member.

China Airlines is based in Taipei, Taiwan, and it is a SkyTeam member. It has a pink flower and a more genteel livery (with pinks and blues) than the white, blue, and red for Air China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolicon View Post
looks like we are back in the 60s! Air China has successfully made -8i look ugly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post
I don't understand either why their livery is so lame...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
On paper, it's a great idea, with the fonts and tail done by Mao Zedong himself. However, the execution is a bit poor. Actually, there's an Air China special livery which removes the cheatlines, and instantly, it looks very modern, a la Japan Airlines' current livery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post
You are kidding, right?

Something rings a bell, but to be sure, could you link a photo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalomatt1027 View Post
http://flyawaysimulation.com/media/i...s-A380-800.jpg

weird .... the a380 has the same livery!
Well, Air China has been using that same livery since the former CAAC (Civil Aviation Authority of China) was broken up into six carriers in 1987 (although, that government arm still exists as a policymaking department today). CAAC, as an airline, had the same livery design to the current livery with Air China...

CAAC:

The only thing I could notice is the logo change on the tail from the Chinese flag to the abstract bird figure.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

aleksandar_s, Godius liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #1169
nawa87

Likes (Received): 267

Air China Boeing 747-89L

http://www.planespotters.net/Aviatio...show?id=489721

Godius, gennadius, patel2897 liked this post
nawa87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #1170
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

Likes (Received): 2107

Link: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Lufth...830/2486930/L/

K.S.A, patel2897, Marco Polo liked this post
Black Watch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #1171
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

I hope Air China uses that 474-8I on their Hongqiao to Beijing route. I fly that a lot. I would definitely like to try the new 747. The last time I flew on a 747 was from Beijing to San Francisco, it was pretty old and they didn't offer any movies.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:13 AM   #1172
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62974

The 1st 747-8I for Korean Airlines was rolled out of the factory on Wednesday.

http://kpae.blogspot.com

gennadius, Equario, patel2897, Marco Polo liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:41 AM   #1173
gennadius
Per ardua, ad astra

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
The 1st 747-8I for Korean Airlines was rolled out of the factory on Wednesday.
A nice sight to see! I think expected delivery was in 2015, but perhaps with this early of a roll out, she will be delivered early?
gennadius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:51 AM   #1174
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Considering that it doesn't have it's engines installed yet it might be stored for some time before it's being finished for delivery. With this in mind I don't think that it will be delivered early.
Old August 27th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #1175
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52075

All Pics by Chris Collins From flickr.com

patel2897, Everton44, Marco Polo liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #1176
stephendavion

Likes (Received): 172

SRC_100, patel2897 liked this post
stephendavion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 04:35 AM   #1177
aviancat2

Likes (Received): 1155

patel2897 liked this post
aviancat2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #1178
PiotrG
庶民サンプル

Kalitta Air 747-200 in Warsaw:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8803200&type=1

patel2897, Everton44, SRC_100, Marco Polo liked this post
PiotrG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:04 AM   #1179
Azer_Akhundov

Likes (Received): 6539

Boeing, Silk Way Airlines Celebrate Delivery of Two 747-8 Freighters

EVERETT, Wash., Aug. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA) and Silk Way Airlines today celebrated the delivery of the airline's two 747-8 Freighters. The first airplane delivered last week and the second airplane delivered today. Both new 747-8 Freighters will bring new levels of efficiency to the Baku, Azerbaijan-based cargo carrier.

"We strive to be a successful and profitable cargo operator by investing in our fleet and our services, and by continuing to increase our regional and international footprint," said Zaur Akhundov, president, SW Holding, parent company of Silk Way Airlines. "The delivery of our new 747-8 Freighters is a sound step forward in that direction."

Silk Way Airlines is considered as one of the leading cargo carriers in the region, providing full-fledged services to Europe, the United Kingdom and Middle East, as well as the Far East including South Korea, China and Hong Kong. In addition, the carrier also serves international destinations through a network of alliances, operating 747-400 Freighters and 767-300 Freighters.

"We are very proud of our continued partnership with Silk Way Airlines and today we have double the reasons to celebrate," said Marty Bentrott, vice president of Sales, Middle East, Russia, and Central Asia, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "The 747-8 Freighter is the most efficient large freighter in service and the two new airplanes will now serve some of the world's high-growth markets."

The new 747-8 Freighter gives cargo operators the lowest operating costs and best economics in its class while providing enhanced environmental performance. The airplane is optimized to provide greater revenue cargo-carrying capability than the 747-400, offering 16 percent more cargo volume while keeping its iconic nose door. With more than 340,000 hours in service, the 747-8 Freighters are achieving performance milestones with customers. To date, Boeing has delivered 49 747-8 Freighters.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2014-08-...7-8-Freighters

patel2897 liked this post
Azer_Akhundov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 10:56 AM   #1180
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Russian media are reporting that Transaero converted their 787 order into a top up of their 747-8I order.

http://www.mk.ru/politics/2014/09/01...reamliner.html

The cancelation of the 787s was already booked last week, the new 747 has jet to be booked. With the recent trade war over the conflict in Ukraine between Russia and USA/EU/Japan it might take some time before the extra 747s will be firmed. And lets not forget that Transaero took their time firming up their 1st 747-8I order. When firmed up Transaero will have 8 747-8Is on order.

The 787s that had on order where the terrible teens, the early produced overweight 787-8s that need a lot of rework. Boeing is having a hard time selling them to new customers, in that sense this conversion is a bit of a problem for Boeing. But with the 747-8I program struggling to gain sales I have no doubt that Boeing is actually quite pleased with this solution.

patel2897, Qtya, Marco Polo liked this post