daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2014, 09:18 AM   #1301
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Now this is an interesting development...

Morocco Says A380 Could Replace B747 on Hajj Trips

Despite the fact that Royal Air Maroc has not yet ordered the Superjumbo, it has shown interest to look away from the Queen of the Skies and use the massive A380 to haul in pilgrims to and from Mecca during the annual Hajj.

Quote:
Morocco’s national carrier said the Airbus Group NV (AIR) superjumbo is in the running to replace its sole Boeing Co. (BA) 747, opening up the possibility of the A380’s first order based around flights for the Muslim Hajj pilgrimage.

Royal Air Maroc will issue an invitation to tender for the deal in the next three months, with the A380 likely to compete with the latest 747-8 version of the original Boeing jumbo, Deputy Chief Executive Officer Habiba Laklalech said today.

The aircraft eventually chosen will fulfill multiple roles, acting on occasion as a transport for the Moroccan Royal Family when not engaged in regular flights or shuttling visitors to Mecca, Laklalech said in an interview in Dubai.
Read more here

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #1302
ZNaseer

Likes (Received): 351

Malaysia Airlines B747-4H6 (9M-MPP) parked at KLIA awaiting flying duties.
ZNaseer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #1303
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63045

The 1st 747-8F that is supposedly destined to be delivered to Asiana Cargo was painted, but not in the Asiana livery. Instead it got an all white coat of paint, adding to the mystery surrounding the Asiana order.

N5023Q Boeing Boeing 747-83QF - C/N 60118 / LN 1502 by Woodys Aeroimages, on Flickr

patel2897 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #1304
xJamaax

Likes (Received): 2887

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines - Boeing 747-400 - PH-BFN - City of Nairobi - Princess Juliana International Airport (SXM) - St. Maarten - May 9, 2010 189 RT CRP by TVL1970, on Flickr

Godius, Henk, patel2897 liked this post
xJamaax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #1305
ZNaseer

Iraqi Airways B747-4H6 (YI-ASA)

patel2897, fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old November 28th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #1306
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

Also, if you read further into the article, the Air Force is insistent that whatever replaces the modified 747-200 must also be a four-engine aircraft -so it is all but certain that the 747-8 (and no other aircraft model) will be the new Air Force One:

Air Force Mulls Making Boeing Share Work on Air Force One

By Tony Capaccio
Aug 28, 2014 12:19 PM ET

Quote:
The U.S. Air Force will decide by December whether Boeing Co. (BA) will have to share a multibillion-dollar project to provide the next Air Force One jetliner for the president, the service said.

The Air Force has budgeted $1.6 billion for research through 2019 and is “working toward release” of a request for proposals early next year with a schedule to purchase the first aircraft in fiscal 2016, according to spokesman Charles Gulick.

The military hasn’t ruled out buying 747-8 passenger planes from Chicago-based Boeing and then using other contractors to outfit them for the special needs of the presidential fleet. Airbus Group NV (AIR), the European aircraft company, said last year that it wouldn’t challenge Boeing to build the plane.

“The Air Force does not yet have an approved acquisition strategy,” and intends to present one “in fall 2014” for review by the Pentagon’s Defense Acquisition Board, Gulick said in an e-mailed statement.

Last edited by jam5; November 28th, 2014 at 11:05 PM.
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #1307
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3605

Air Force One B747-8I Will Look something like this >> image hosted on flickr
A380 >>
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 02:13 AM   #1308
ZNaseer

Iran Air B747-230B (EP-IAI)

Old November 29th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #1309
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3106

Quote:
Originally Posted by patel2897 View Post
Air Force One B747-8I Will Look something like this >> image hosted on flickr
A380 >>
I don't think the President of the USA will get an A380....maybe when he gets a Mercedes as his official car ?
Old November 29th, 2014, 04:06 AM   #1310
jam5

Is this the other image you were trying to post, Patel?

Anyways, I think it has already been made clear that the Air Force is only considering Boeing, not Airbus.

Last edited by jam5; November 29th, 2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old November 29th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #1311
jam5

When they do retire their current Air Force One fleet, I hope they donate at least one of those modified 747-200s to the Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Int'l Airport.

NatFan9 liked this post
Old November 29th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #1312
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 373

The new Air Force one will NOTTTTTTTTT be an airbus a380.
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 07:42 AM   #1313
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3106

I imagine they would have to build an annex onto the side of Udvar-Hazy out at Dulles for Airforce One ? What it would be to be able to jog up the stair, turn and wave...then go inside...
Probably the most memorable museum I have visited in the World !... I like planes : )
Old November 29th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #1314
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3605

I know My fellow Skyscrapers that Air Force One Will not go for A380 they will only buy Boeing B747-8I I was Just Saying that If If They went for An next A380 as Air Force One Plane this is how will it look like in Air Force one Livery.
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #1315
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I think for Air Force One and Air Force Two, those would be either a B747-8I or a B777X. If it were me, I would go for the latter since it is more fuel efficient and can fly long distances (similar to the B747-8I).

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Old November 29th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #1316
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63045

Air Force One is not the plane but the callsign. The Air Force Two is the callsign for plane that carriers the vice President, this is usually a modified 757 (Boeing C-32) but a smaller private jet is also used often.

And it's already decided that 2 new 4 engined planes will replace the current VC-25s, it's almost certain that these planes will be based on the 747-8I.

Range and fuel efficiency don't really matter. The replacement will consume more fuel because of the extra weight and special features but will have a significantly longer range then the standard 747-8I. Plus it will have aerial refueling capability giving it pretty much unlimited range except for the simple fact that the crew and passengers also need fuel in the form of food and drinks.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #1317
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Sorry if I posted this late, yet I believe this can be a breakthrough technology... from Air Transport World:

British Airways Boeing 747 begins volcanic ash mission

With many flights operating over and near active volcanoes, and lessons learned from the massive Icelandic volcanic eruption that brought havoc in Europe aviation-wise, British Airways is experimenting on a technology that will detect the presence of volcanic ash in flight, allowing pilots and airlines to better monitor volcanic activity from 35,000 feet.
Quote:
British Airways (BA) has started a year-long volcanic ash monitoring project in partnership with the UK Met Office and Natural Environment Research Council (NERC).

A prototype of the ZEUS ash detection device, developed by the Met Office and NERC, has been fitted on a BA Boeing 747 and will monitor small amounts of ash in the atmosphere. This will then be matched up with flight data—including weather conditions, speed, altitude and location—to build up a picture of volcanic ash distribution.
Read more here

Old November 29th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #1318
jam5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I imagine they would have to build an annex onto the side of Udvar-Hazy out at Dulles for Airforce One ? What it would be to be able to jog up the stair, turn and wave...then go inside...
Probably the most memorable museum I have visited in the World !... I like planes : )
They have plenty of room to expand -they just built an extension for the Space Shuttle Discovery some years ago, and I imagine they will do the same for the retired VC-25.
Old November 29th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #1319
jam5

If and when the Air Force does decide to retire the Air Force Two Boeing 757 (maybe one of those could also be donated to Udvar-Hazy, when the time comes!), the most likely replacement will be a modified 787 Dreamliner.

Last edited by jam5; November 29th, 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old December 1st, 2014, 06:57 AM   #1320
Ferahim

Likes (Received): 824

Silkway Azerbaijan Cargo 3 Boeing 747-400F with Rolls-Royce RB211 engines and 2 Boeing 747-8F

Godius liked this post
Ferahim no está en línea   Reply With Quote