daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #161
don diego 2000

Likes (Received): 167

Lufthansa's 747-8Is to seat just 386 passengers
By Jon Ostrower | 13 Feb 2011 | Flightglobal.com

Lufthansa plans a 386-seat configuration of its new 747-8I when it arrives in its fleet in first quarter of 2012. The stretched jet will be configured with 8 first-class, 80 business-class and 298 economy seats.

Nico Buchholz, executive vice president, Lufthansa Group fleet management, says the carrier plans a new on-board product, which altered the available space on the aircraft. "We started with slightly above 400 [seats], but that was the old standard, things evolve," he says, "We find things which we can do to the passengers - which are positive - and this usually does cost a couple of seats." Details of the new on-board product were not disclosed.

Positioned between the 526-seat A380 and twin configuration 306- and 345-seat A340-600, the 747-8I will occupy a space that will allow the carrier to begin partly replacing its 23 747-400s and seven -400 Combis. Buchholz says no timeline for the fleet's retirement has been identified, though market requirements will dictate the pace of the 747-400s' exit from the fleet. Final route selection has not yet been determined, adds Buchholz, although he says 45 of the carrier's 70 long-haul routes are candidates for the first service.

Buchholz says the new aircraft will be able to meet the carrier's requirements. "All the mission profiles we want, we can meet," he says. "And actually we have very onerous points where we look for mission profiles, sometimes routes we don't fly, but we pinpoint certain areas to find if there are any weaknesses, and then we are extremely pleased when we don't find them. And I'm still pleased." Buchholz anticipates a performance improvement package in the years to come and says they will have no operational impact on the aircraft "except we may save a little bit of fuel", he says.

Last edited by don diego 2000; February 15th, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
don diego 2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #162
don diego 2000

Likes (Received): 167

Boeing aims to jumpstart 747-8 sales in Middle East and Asia
By Jon Ostrower | 14 Feb 2011 | Flightglobal.com

Boeing is keen to reignite flagging sales of its 747-8, and sees Asia and the Middle East as key target markets. "We really do believe that this airplane's going to sell, and it's going to sell well. We think this airplane will sell this year," says deputy 747-8 programme manager Elizabeth Lund.

Boeing has received 107 orders for the 747-8, including 74 freighters and 33 of the passenger Intercontinental, which was revealed to the public yesterday (13 Feb). "People have been hesitant to make commitments," says airplane programmes vice-president and 747-8 general manager Pat Shanahan, adding that demand was suppressed by the global economic slowdown and questions about the delayed aircraft.

Shanahan says there are "many" sales campaigns ongoing and "once there's certainty around the performance of the airplane, the availability of the airplane, we think we'll see an uptick". Boeing's next campaign appears to be Turkish Airlines, which said in October it was "evaluating" proposals for the 747-8I and the Airbus A380. Shanahan offered an unsolicited reference to the 747-8I as being "ideally suited" for the Turkish market as a transit point in and out of Europe. "Nothing would be better than putting airplanes in the Middle East," he says.

The 747-8I was unveiled with a 'Sunrise' livery, a direct appeal to carriers in Asia and the Middle East, where red and orange represent prosperity and good fortune. The 747-8 programme remains in a loss-making position for Boeing. The company is facing tough competition from the larger A380, forcing it to use factory productivity improvements more aggressively to bolster the financial standing of the programme, says Shanahan. "The market will have a lot of pressure, the A380 will price to sell," he says, adding that the company's advantage on the 747-8 freighter does not exist on the passenger model.

Shanahan says Boeing has seen more traction for the freighter variant, which will enter service mid-year with Cargolux Airlines. "The world from a growth standpoint has recovered," says Shanahan. "There was a thought that the growth was just to replenish inventories, but the freighter side of this thing keeps going and going." Interest has come from both airline cargo operations as well as large logistics companies, he says.

Boeing's market analysis for its largest aircraft remains conservative in comparison to its European competitor. The US airframer sees 720 large aircraft delivered between 2010 and 2029. Of those 720, around 500 will account for large passenger aircraft. Boeing forecasts 43% of those 720 aircraft delivered to Asia, China and Southeast Asia, with the Middle East representing a further 23%. Airbus, on the other hand, envisages a market for 1,740 very large aircraft, of which 1,300 will be passenger aircraft delivered over the same 20-year period. Airbus has received 240 firm orders for the A380 to date.

In addition to airline launch customer Lufthansa, the only airline to order the 747-8I is Korean Air, which placed an order for five of the type in December 2009. Lufthansa will see its first 747-8I delivered in early 2012.
don diego 2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #163
Kubajzo

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clery View Post
Well... the B747 was a great plane in the 60's. It is still, but I tend to look at it a bit like one of those old Ford Mustang driven by Steve McQueen : wonderful engineering with an interesting vintage feel.
To be honest I haven't had the chance to try the new A380 in person yet but I have never had a bad experience with the B747 and one has to admit that it ruled the skies for several decades and even if the new version did not secceed, it will always have a place in history.
Kubajzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #164
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18188

Boeing goes long with new 747-8 jet
Fliers get larger windows, more overhead storage

14 February 2011
USA Today

EVERETT, Wash. -- Eighteen feet.

That may not sound like much. But it's the length added to Boeing's newest version of its 747 jumbo jet -- the Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental commercial passenger jet -- unveiled here Sunday as a crowd of several thousand people waved red and white thundersticks to the blare of rock music.

The added length, 18.3 feet to be precise, makes the 747-8 the longest jetliner in the world.

The new Intercontinental has other distinguishing features: Its tell-tale hump, which covers double-deck seating inside, stretches 13.3 feet longer than before. Its redesigned wings, which begin near the base of the fuselage and sweep upward as they slope away from the cabin, give it the appearance of a soaring bird.

The redesigned plane gives passengers larger windows and reconfigured overhead storage bins to hold more bags than before.

But Boeing's "stretch" version of the 747 is not so much about size as important strategic objectives for the company.

It's about trying to keep Boeing, which introduced the phrase "jumbo jet" into aviation lexicon with its first 747 more than 40 years ago, in the game of manufacturing the world's biggest class of passenger jets against competition from European rival Airbus and its giant A380.

"There's no question that we were coming to a decision that it was either going to be close or near the end of the line for the airplane ... or we had to figure out something new," says Randy Tinseth, vice president of marketing for Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

The Intercontinental's debut also represents Boeing's bid to re- establish itself as the world's pre-eminent maker of passenger jets at a time its prestige has been dented by its struggles to deliver its breakthrough jet: the revolutionary 787 Dreamliner that's made mostly from lightweight composites.

And it comes as the U.S. aircraft manufacturer faces competition not just from Airbus but from other parts of the world.

"Bringing something new to market is a boost to the company's image," says veteran aviation analyst Richard Aboulafia of the Virginia-based Teal Group aerospace analysis firm. "It has kind of a flagship role for the company, too. To be able to efficiently build and upgrade a legacy product that's been around as an icon since 1969, there's value in that beyond just money. There's equity in that."

New word in the lexicon

Boeing revolutionized air travel when it made its maiden 747 flight on Feb. 9, 1969. Boeing dubbed the jet the "Queen of the Skies." But it was the term "jumbo jet" that stuck to the big, partially double-decked plane, then to a class of wide-body giants that fly a large number of passengers long distances across the globe.

Boeing held the position as the world's dominant manufacturer of long-haul, wide-body jets until last decade, when Airbus increased the competition in the market.

With its unveiling of the massive A380 in 2005, Airbus stole the title of "world's biggest passenger jet" -- a title it still holds even with the introduction of the Intercontinental on Sunday. And it introduced the term "superjumbo jet."

The European plane maker also competed with Boeing's popular, but smaller, 777 wide-body by increasingly matching or raising seating and technology on its family of A340 models, prompting each planemaker to respond to the other's developments.

The growing passenger capacity and technological capabilities of the 777s and A340s helped to make the Boeing 747 less relevant as the decade moved on. The Boeing 777-300ER, for instance, carries about 365 passengers, while the 747-400 "jumbo jet" carries about 416.

Tinseth acknowledges that the one-upsmanship developments led to talk that the 747's days as a passenger jet could be numbered and that Boeing could end up manufacturing the giant plane strictly as a cargo carrier.

"I think that's fair to say," he says. "We really got in this position that the 747 was starting to become only a freighter."

Tinseth says the new 747-8I -- which has 467 seats in a typical layout -- will fill a niche "halfway in between" what the 777-300ER and similar Airbus A340 models carry, and the 525 passengers that the giant Airbus A380 carries in a typical configuration. "There's that sweet spot in the market, or that hole, that our competition left in the market," he says. "You know, our (747-800) airplane fits really nice."

The two airlines that have put in orders for the new plane -- Germany's Lufthansa and Korean Air -- agree that the 747-8I fills a market niche.

Lufthansa, which has ordered 20 of the jets, with the first to be delivered next year, says the new planes will replace its older 747s and allow it to go to bigger planes on international routes where demand is growing.

Korean Air, which has ordered five planes, similarly says the plane's seating capacity gives the airlines flexibility to "cover a variety of different networks and regions."

Still in the process

The rollout of the Intercontinental helps restore some luster to Boeing's image. The company has faced repeated setbacks in being able to deliver its long-anticipated 787 Dreamliner, which has prompted some airlines to second-guess their orders to buy them.

The Dreamliner, now more than three years overdue because of production problems, is made largely from composite material rather than aluminum. As a result, it's lighter and will burn less fuel, making it environmentally and financially friendlier for airlines.

Boeing Chief Executive Jim McNerney has claimed it will be "the way planes are going to be built for the next 80 years."

But it has to be proven airworthy and delivered to customers first, which Boeing now says will be in the third quarter of this year.

Aviation analyst Aboulafia says the 747 Intercontinental's unveiling is a "boost to the company's image." However, he says, the boost may be more "psychological than anything else" because of the "looming shadow" of Boeing's problems with the 787 Dreamliner.

"There were never any doubts about the 747-8's technical success, whereas there's a lot we don't know about the 787's performance," he says. "That's a much bigger issue."

Though the Dreamliner has been an object of frustration at the company, it's also been the source of some innovation incorporated into the reinvention of the 747.

The new wing design, engines, larger windows and storage bins on the 747-8 Intercontinental came from developing the 787 Dreamliner.

"The technology we developed on the 787 really were the key enablers to what we could do on the 747-8," Tinseth says.

Aboulafia says the innovation incorporated into the Intercontinental should keep the 747 model out of the passenger jet graveyard.

"I think it definitely helps extend (Boeing's 747) franchise," Aboulafia says. "It's pretty impressive: The engines are newer than on the A380. A lot of the systems are newer. And the airframe is lighter. This could be a better plane."

Even with the 747-8I's new bells, whistles and 18 feet of length, Airbus' A380 will retain the title of biggest passenger jet in the skies.

The A380 has double-deck seating throughout its fuselage. The 747- 8's second floor runs only as long as its signature hump -- now about 35% of the plane's length.

Other competitors step up

The introduction of the Intercontinental comes as Boeing and Airbus seek to stave off a threat of new competition in producing jet aircraft for the world's major airlines.

Canadian aircraft maker Bombardier and Brazil's Embraer, which traditionally have made smaller regional jets, are beginning to produce bigger jets -- some with more than 100 seats, which threaten to provide competition for Boeing's 737 and Airbus' A320 series. Plans are underway elsewhere, including state-backed efforts in Russia and China, to build similar passenger jets with around 100 seats.

For now, though, the battle for the top remains between Boeing and Airbus.

Industry observers watch and analyze the companies' annual sales figures in a way that makes their rivalry seem like a competition, as though the jetmakers are playing the World Series for plane sales.

Airbus, partly buoyed by A380 orders, overtook Boeing as the world's top maker of commercial jets in 2008. Airbus maintained that lead through last year, as it reported 574 orders for commercial planes in 2010 compared with Boeing's 530.

The Intercontinental won't thrust Boeing back to the lead. The market for the giant jets isn't big enough. "You are never going to get the bulk of your business from this part of the market," analyst Aboulafia says.

In addition to the 25 orders Boeing has from Lufthansa and Korean Air, Boeing says it has orders for just eight more 747-8Is from "VIP" individuals and firms that the company won't identify.

"Would we love to have more (orders)? Absolutely," says Elizabeth Lund, deputy program manager for the plane. "That said ... we really do believe this aircraft is going to sell and sell well."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Highcliff liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #165
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Far more elegant looking than the flying cow of the skies - A380.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #166
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
In your opinion.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #167
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post

It seems the customers prefers to fly cows instead of queens

The 747 looks more elegant indeed, but the A380 is a more advanced aircraft!
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #168
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

The A380 is an all new airplane while the 747-8 is a stretched version of the 747-400 from the the 1980s which is a modernised version of the 747-100 from the 1960s.

In my opinion the 747-400 is the most beautiful Jumbo. The proportions of the 747-8 aren't so harmonious.
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #169
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1739

The big picture: Boeing unveils 747-8 Intercontinental

Boeing has premiered its new generation 747 jumbo at its factory in Everett, Seattle, with the first aircraft sporting a striking red-orange livery.

The aircraft manufacturer invited around 10,000 guests to the event, which took place on Sunday evening Pacific Standard Time.

Lufthansa is the launch customer for the jet, and the carrier will use the new aircraft to debut its fully-flat seating in business class, as reported by Business Traveller last year (see online news October 6, 2010).

It has also been reported by airliners.de that Lufthansa will install business class seating on the upper deck of the 747-800 (as opposed to first class as is currently the case), with first class being moved down to the main deck in "the nose", followed by a second business class cabin and then the economy class seating.

The 747-800, also known as the 747-8 Intercontinental or 747-8I, is 5.6 metres longer than its 747-400 predecessor, and one metre longer than the Airbus A340-600, making it the world's longest passenger aircraft.

Boeing said that the one-off Sunrise livery "honours many key Boeing customers whose cultures recognize these colors as symbols of prosperity and good luck".

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...7-8-interconti

Highcliff, Marco Polo liked this post
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #170
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52075

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Every Pics by gorbidog

Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:43 PM   #171
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18188

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/506/5067524.html

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:26 PM   #172
mrc23

Likes (Received): 0

SEATTLE/PARIS (Reuters) – Boeing estaba lista para presentar un nuevo avión jumbo el domingo, esperando revivir el glamour que rodeó el nacimiento del 747 hace más de 40 ańos y usarlo para elevar las débiles ventas.

http://econobaires.wordpress.com/201...mbo-de-boeing/
mrc23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #173
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62974

The 3rd order for the 747-8 Intercontinental is here, Air China will buy 5 planes.

Quote:
Boeing, Air China Sign Agreement for 747-8 Intercontinentals

HONG KONG, March 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA) and Air China today signed an agreement for the purchase of five 747-8 Intercontinental jetliners. Air China is the first Chinese carrier to contract the passenger version of the new, fuel-efficient 747-8.

The agreement requires Chinese government approval, at which time it will be posted to the Boeing Orders & Deliveries website.

"Air China has been operating 747s since the 1980s," said He Li, vice president of Air China. "The new, high capacity Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental will deliver exceptional economics and a great flying experience to our customers."

Air China, the flag carrier of the People's Republic of China, will use the airplanes to expand its international routes.

"The technologically advanced 747-8 Intercontinental will deliver improved operating economics, efficiency and environmental performance in support of Air China's continued growth," said Marlin Dailey, vice president of Sales & Marketing, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "Air China has become one of the fastest growing airlines in the world and today is one of the world's largest carriers. We're proud to be part of their success and look forward to continuing our long and enduring partnership."

The new 747-8 Intercontinental carries 467 passengers in a three-class configuration. The airplane features a new wing design and an upgraded flight deck. The airplane interior incorporates features from the 787 Dreamliner including a new curved, upswept architecture that will give passengers a greater sense of space and comfort, while adding more room for personal belongings. The architecture will be accentuated by lighting technology that provides smooth transitions for a more restful flight.

Using 787-technology GEnx-2B engines, the airplane will be quieter, produce lower emissions and achieve better fuel economy than any competing jetliner. It also increases cargo volume by 26 percent.
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1651
[IMG]http://i52.************/16l020k.jpg[/IMG]

Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #174
just4ivaylo

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
The 3rd order for the 747-8 Intercontinental is here, Air China will buy 5 planes.

[IMG]http://i52.************/16l020k.jpg[/IMG]
Yikes...that just joined my "Worst Livery" list.
just4ivaylo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #175
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

The 'smile' in the Boeing livery makes it look like a beluga (white whale)
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #176
Nordicon

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
Yikes...that just joined my "Worst Livery" list.
I know right?
They should get a new one
Nordicon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #177
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
Awesome, love the modern look to such a classic plane.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #178
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Great job of producing another great plane boeing! Now lets sell some 747s like crazy. When are the first orders suppose to be full filled? Love the sunrise paint job. Maybe it means the sun is going to rise on the queen of the skies again.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #179
Suissetralia

Likes (Received): 67

An A380 wannabe
Suissetralia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #180
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suissetralia View Post
An A380 wannabe
Lol... The 747 was around long before Airbus was even formed, so I highly doubt it's an A380 wannabe.
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote