daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old September 6th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #61
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 116

Not exactly the U-district, but close enough. Finally replacing the row of shit houses behind the Whole Foods parking lot with a good sized development:

http://web1.seattle.gov/dpd/luib/Not...=645&NID=12627

Sponsored Links

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #62
benleis

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Not exactly the U-district, but close enough. Finally replacing the row of shit houses behind the Whole Foods parking lot with a good sized development:

http://web1.seattle.gov/dpd/luib/Not...=645&NID=12627
I wonder how tall the apartment will be?
benleis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #63
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
I wonder how tall the apartment will be?
Land is zoned for NC3-65. To get 108 apartments on that plot of land, I'm guessing they'll use the full envelope and do a 6 story building.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:40 AM   #64
just4ivaylo

Likes (Received): 70

Passed by the new dorms today by Terry and Lander. Any idea when they'll be finished? It didn't seem like there were too many workers at the site.
just4ivaylo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #65
ak282

Likes (Received): 0

One apartment building (Cedar) and one residence hall (Poplar) finished this summer for this school year, the other two should be finished next summer for the next school year.
ak282 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #66
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 404

Quote:
Land is zoned for NC3-65. To get 108 apartments on that plot of land, I'm guessing they'll use the full envelope and do a 6 story building.
It would be unusual not to go six stories in a 65' zone.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #67
mSeattle

Likes (Received): 44

Schuster Group is building
97 apartments on The Ave
http://www.djc.com/news/re/12033643.html

The Schuster Group has broken ground in the University District on Muriel's Landing, which will have 97 apartments and ground floor retail in a seven-story building on University Avenue near 52nd Street.
Old September 28th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #68
meku

Likes (Received): 49

I'm digging the mass here and the lack of 10 colors. I hope that's brick I'm seeing.

Also:

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12033646.html

Triad Capital wants to build 70 small apartments in U District

Developer Fred Grimm plans to start construction next summer on a 60- to 70-unit apartment project designed to appeal to students in Seattle's University District.
meku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #69
mhays
Journeyman

Love small units.

The trend toward small-unit buildings is closely tied to reduced parking requirements. I don't know whether or how much they changed the requirements at that location, but generally, it's hard to make 300 sf units work if each one has parking, which would mean a garage about the same size as the residential portion. Or, dog forbid, a higher ratio like some cities have. But reduce the parking dramatically....

I showed up at work today (very late, using some PTO hours) and it was one great thing after another. Dubai route, 52nd & U Way, this project, $80m in research grants for UW/WSU, Amazon tablet impressing reviewers... The last item is extraordinarily big for Seattle...we're starting to ride Amazon the same way we've ridden Microsoft for 20 years. In revenues, Amazon is now over 50% of Microsoft (I think?) and narrowing the gap.

Tangent continues... Seattle is so freaking lucky to have these companies. Try to find a single headquarters with $30b+ in revenue (or $70b+) in Portland, Vancouver, Denver, San Diego, or Phoenix. Try to find a single company with a local payroll of multiple billions. They have zero to my knowledge. We have four including Boeing and Microsoft on local payroll, and Amazon, Costco, and Microsoft on headquarters.

Last edited by mhays; September 28th, 2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old September 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #70
just4ivaylo

Likes (Received): 70

Is this the same place where the current building was being demolished in the past week or two?
just4ivaylo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #71
mhays
Journeyman

The studio place is four stories on the site of two houses.
Old October 4th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #72
mSeattle

More good news in the DJC about U District development.
Old October 4th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #73
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 277

So good to hear that. I read the most imteresting thing in the paper today!
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #74
mhays
Journeyman

Also in the DJC: The 385-unit project at 12th & 47th is now 284 units...they went with a shorter woodframe building vs. a couple floors taller with concrete. Woodframe is much cheaper to build. On the bright side, that's still a decent number of units, and they closed on the land.
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #75
mSeattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Also in the DJC: The 385-unit project at 12th & 47th is now 284 units...they went with a shorter woodframe building vs. a couple floors taller with concrete. Woodframe is much cheaper to build. On the bright side, that's still a decent number of units, and they closed on the land.
That's interesting. In the same DJC edition it talks about the SLI company planning a project in the UD with a pre-fab concrete/steel technology that is supposed to be cost competitive with 4-7 floor woodframe but can be mid- or highrise construction.
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #76
BoulderGrad

Curious to see how that works, anyone have a company name for whos developing the pre-fab system?
Old October 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #77
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
It did seem like a much smaller number of units. I disapprove!
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #78
mSeattle

Quote:
Curious to see how that works, anyone have a company name for whos developing the pre-fab system?
Sustainable Living Innovations - http://sustainablelivinginnovations.com/

DJC - http://www.djc.com/news/re/12033851.html

Last edited by mSeattle; October 4th, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
mSeattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #79
Seasun

Likes (Received): 106

I'm glad Chase Bank is investing in a new branch but...
This morning I drove past the almost completed branch at the corner of 45th and Univ Way. I was a little surprised and disappointed that at the solid walls on both faces of the building corner there was one ATM on each face. I have nothing against ATM's - use them all the time but this is already probably one of the busiest and smallest sidewalks in the whole region and the walls are practically on property line. Maybe I didn't see things right but besides having a pedestrian congestion point when a line forms it seems lame to make people who are waiting to use a machine monitor machines on two different building faces to see which machine is available first. Doesn't seem to help pedestrian/traffic safety either as sightlines will be limited if lines occur very close to the corner.

This just seems poorly thought out between the design team and maybe even DPD/SDOT permit review. Here's a streetview of a real ATM installation across the street from a busy campus - 7 machines and slightly set-back from the sidewalk that's been there since at least 1991. Cash isn't as important nowadays but still quite a rare group of machines.

Only good thing about the layout of these ATMs is the high visibility of them for security - no niches for muggers to hide in unless they just wait around the corner at the other machine until someone starts walking away from the machine.
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #80
geoffloftus

Likes (Received): 681

Big doings at University Village!

Construction appears to have begun on what is basically the south-side mirror image of the north-side parking garage at University Village. A ton of parking lot is going to disappear to be replaced by a parking garage -- but one, which like its north-side counterpart is functionally -- that is, from the within-U Village perspective -- a collection of highish-end stores, with the parking-garage part effectively hidden in back.

I don't know the construction timetable. But the little Key Bank branch, the only building on the construction site, will move on January 20.

As a resident of this area, I'm quite excited by this. Now if only they'd get going on the plan to replace the north parking lot of the QFC with apartment buildings...
geoffloftus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
seattle