daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #61
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattone View Post
A simple GPS system in the emergency vehicle seems simpler and much easier to implement than this proposal.
I agree but the proposal was to help the driver visually spot the trouble area rather than have someone reading GPS off to them or having to look at GPS themselves while needing to focus on the road.

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #62
sc4

Likes (Received): 88

There's still voice activation on GPS rite?
sc4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #63
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc4 View Post
There's still voice activation on GPS rite?
I would assume so, good point! I'm not sure how emergency vehicles operate with GPS.
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #64
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Well, depending on the particular case, it may still take some time to find the exact location (e.g. a specific building) based solely on the GPS. For example, I have a GPS navigator in my car with voice commands, but I still sometimes find myself hunting for specific house numbers on a residential street due to inaccuracies in the map data or GPS resolution. I don't know how much such a lighting system would help, though.
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #65
Fender56

Likes (Received): 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
I'm curious, do these at least have the option to dim?

Some cities in the U.S. are talking about LED streetlights tied into a "smart" system that are dim in the evening and increase brightness as the sun sets into the night.
Also I read an article (can't remember when and where) about LED streetlights that can flash and light up red and/or blue to help emergency responders locate the vicinity of a property easier at night.
Are any other countries currently utilizing this?
An extensive LED lighting project is comming up at the new E20 highway here in Esbjerg - Denmark, see details in pdf below. This new LED lighting project will incorporate "smart" dimming of the light called AMP-light.:

http://www.vejdirektoratet.dk/udbud/...10_75_TEGN.pdf

Old April 27th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #66
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Well, depending on the particular case, it may still take some time to find the exact location (e.g. a specific building) based solely on the GPS. For example, I have a GPS navigator in my car with voice commands, but I still sometimes find myself hunting for specific house numbers on a residential street due to inaccuracies in the map data or GPS resolution. I don't know how much such a lighting system would help, though.
I don't know how it would help either and I wish I could find the article about it.
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #67
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender56 View Post
An extensive LED lighting project is comming up at the new E20 highway here in Esbjerg - Denmark, see details in pdf below. This new LED lighting project will incorporate "smart" dimming of the light called AMP-light.:

http://www.vejdirektoratet.dk/udbud/...10_75_TEGN.pdf

I can read Swedish but not Danish Nonetheless I think it's a brilliant idea to have smart dimming.
I'm about to buy property in the country with my partner and have been researching LED street lighting for the area where the driveway meets the road to light my driveway entry. I have looked at these online but they are way expensive! http://www.youtube.com/user/HeiSolar.../2/J9CFG6xoZ2A

My current option are solar LED road studs to install along my driveway and at $50 per light I'll only do a few where the drive meets the road.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:18 PM   #68
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

The Southfield Freeway in Detroit reopened yesterday with new LED lighting. I haven't seen it myself the vid shows it makes big a difference

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ly-20111001-rs
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:14 AM   #69
Mark19

Likes (Received): 60

LEDs light in bulevar Diego de Holguin, El Salvador CA, (the lamps are solar)

unfortunately the solar lamps dont work well

the mayor of San Salvador said that is gonna change all the ugly mercury lamps of the city, to led lights
Mies Van Der Rohe

"Las mentes brillantes manejan ideas; las mentes corrientes hablan de actualidades; las mentes mediocres hablan y critican a los demás".
Eleanor Roosevelt.
Mark19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #70
Mark19

i have seen that mexican freeways (periferico) have solar lamp too, but i dont know if they are led lamps
Mies Van Der Rohe

"Las mentes brillantes manejan ideas; las mentes corrientes hablan de actualidades; las mentes mediocres hablan y critican a los demás".
Eleanor Roosevelt.
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #71
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
That's what curtains/blinds are for. Personally, I'll take the brightness. At least that way, I can see the dumb sh*ts who's have to wear dark clothing and no reflective gear.
We are testing LEDs in my neighborhood. While way more pleasant than orange, there don't look as bright from homes... Maybe due to their reduced scattering.

In the old town the use a mix of white halogen and LEDs.

Suburbs are mostly hideous orange.
Old November 20th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #72
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

I reckon that in most lighting infrastructure projects, LED lighting seems synonymous or inline with solar-powered lighting devices I guess.

Anyways, LED tech is continuously improving as well so definitely expect to see more of this in a road or street near you

Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:19 AM   #73
Mark19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post

Anyways, LED tech is continuously improving as well so definitely expect to see more of this in a road or street near you

believe there are a lo of led lights near of my house haha (see the highway )

some supermarkets are changing their old lamps (parking lots) to led
Mies Van Der Rohe

Eleanor Roosevelt.
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:03 AM   #74
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

LED lights are developing rapidly, almost drastically, and prices are falling down with increased quality. I believe that in 5 years LED lamps in street lightning will get a big boost.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 01:57 PM   #75
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
believe there are a lo of led lights near of my house haha (see the highway )

some supermarkets are changing their old lamps (parking lots) to led
Places like MickeyDee use led lighting in their parking lots and several pedestrian crossings have a led lamp too.

Solar leds, due to poor performance, are limited to rural areas and speed checks like this but... the one near my home goes silent after 5/6 days with nos sunshine. Which is pretty common in the winter.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:26 AM   #76
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

LED lamps have been installed at some freeways exits in Baltimore area.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:06 AM   #77
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 431

Can we have more pictures on this thread? Or is there another thread about LED street lighting?
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:34 PM   #78
Hezery99

Likes (Received): 134

image hosted on flickr

This is the example of LED street lighting along Kuala Lumpur-Karak Expressway E8, the first motorway in Malaysia being installed with LED street lights. However, there are some issues regarding the durability of the LED lights along that expressway, due to the LED lights near the Gombak toll plaza are not working as they become kaput very fast for some unknown reasons. However, the LED street lights along some other highways in Malaysia are doing fine.
Hezery99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #79
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

There are some on the Keynsham bypass at the approach to the Hicks Gate roundabout near Bristol you can see here.

I like the fact they have designed the new LED lanterns to be a similar elongated shape to the original sodium lamps, which goes much better with the rounded topped lamp posts than the more common stumpy lanterns.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 11:16 PM   #80
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
While LEDs look sexy, I don't like the brightness and the color of the light they emit.
We have some newly installed on few crossings, now even on bridge over Ljubljanica on A1.

Also it is quite wrong thinking, that LEDs need much less energy than conventional lamps. That is maybe true if comparing to old mercury lamps, but new high pressure sodium lamps use more or less the same amount of energy for given light (lumen/watt), are much cheaper and their light is much more pleasant to the eye.
This is incorrect, the company I work for manufacturers 40w LED modules which have the same light output as a 250w halogen or 150w HPS lamp, a 4 module floodlight 160w has the light output of 1000w halogen or 500w HPS, the shipping industry loves them, they are maintenance free and require less power. The advantage of LED over HPS are very real, it's daylight balanced, it's much easier for people to see using it, overall LED street lights are an order of magnitude better than halogen or HPS.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote